Lol at the normies

Lol at the normies.

Other urls found in this thread:

bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/08/01/the-solar-eclipse-coming-trump-country/Ldd7MhDroW1cdYCwCBoxbO/story.html?p1=BGMenu_Article
hackaday.com/2017/08/16/eclipse-2017-was-einstein-right/
skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/my-do-it-yourself-relativity-test/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I now understand the Insane Clown Posse Lyric about an unwillingness to talk to a scientist.

>xkcd
That said, it is really impressive-looking and brings together a lot of astronomical movements into a super neat and iconic event.
In fact, how is it NOT 'scientific'? You can use it to study the effects of solar radiation under ususual conditions and shit, right? Reducing it to a thing in front of another thing is like saying you don't have to go to the birth of your son because childbirth happens all the time.
People in the sciences get riled up over all sorts of 'mundane' events, why stop here?

Reminder that in 1919 a total solar eclipse provided the first experimental test for the theory of relativity. Not scientific my ass.

Maybe because the scientific part of a solar eclipse is studied and resolved long before the eclipse actually happens?

What will we learn from this one?

there will be scientists doing some limited work on the physics of the sun's corona.

But the comic's right. For 99% of the people watching it's just going to look real cool.

There are going to be more people claiming the eclipse prove's the earth is flat than there will be people performing experiments.

How many people can be in Missouri at once before the locals start genuinely losing their shit?

The pic didn't say its not scientific though. Its saying you can appreciate it without being an expert scientist.

>its not scientific

*it's not scientific

The alt-text mentions that.

isn't this every xkcd? Just more

>look at how stupid the normies are

And people laugh and agree assuming that makes them super smart and special too

I thought they were getting as pretentious as possible with the observation that absolutely no one anywhere likes beer at all. It's just one massive conspiracy of people who think that they have to force it down constantly or else everyone around will think they are a faggot, but it is functionally impossible for someone to actually prefer the taste in any way.

How much the solar system hates Hillary?
bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/08/01/the-solar-eclipse-coming-trump-country/Ldd7MhDroW1cdYCwCBoxbO/story.html?p1=BGMenu_Article

I've noticed the one common thread in all these xkcd threads is that people are butthurt because the artist is smarter than they are.

underage

T. Randall Munroe

Look, I don't care if he's smarter than me or not. Lots of people are smarter than me just from a numbers standpoint.
What I'm tired of is that this guy says things as if they're some sort of masterful revelation rather than hot opinions and patting himself on the back.

wait, user or the comic?

>lol at the normies
>posts XKCD seriously
lol, indeed.

Not a high threshold folks, look up Bleeding Kansas

The faggot that is claiming no one can prefer the taste of beer

its hit or miss

He was talking about the comic that does that, he wasn't advocating that himself. Reading comprehension son.

>Reading comprehension son.

*Reading comprehension, son.

That sounds basically like him bitching about something that vaguely annoyed him personally. Which is usually a clear sign of a cartoonist who's ran out of ideas.

You're a fucking normie OP, posting this rando internet shit to bitch about from your cool sekrit klub. Fucking kill yourself.

Hahahaha this is so funny I totally understand all those terms

A scientist's cuntiness should never restrict one's search for knowledge. I was pretty disappointed with ICP's take on that.

>female
>scientist

read it again, it was presented as his (your) opinion

...samefag

He was clearly elaborating on the nature of the comic, and I'm not him.

oh course you are

What a bastard.

But was he wrong?

Yes

sorry you aren't the target audience for xkcd if you don't know all that shit, which the target audience seems to be engineers

It was intentionally being obtuse. The scientist cared about the solar eclipse because it was cool. Compare that to the random asshole who just wants sciency things but doesn't know shit.

>target audience seems to be engineers
I wonder what does it say about engineers sense of humor.

That it's fucking trash.
t. engineer

>anything's fine
>wow it tastes bad

seems more like intentionally talking down to people

Randall is a pretentious cunt and so are you

It depends on how you take it. Technically he's right, the solar eclipse isn't more scientific than gravity. But that shouldn't rob you of the emotional value of seeing something rare and cool, no matter what assholes on the internet say.

He's not wrong. Beer is what I drink when I can't taste it or mask it with other tastes, like food.

What did he mean by this?

>Target audience is people who learned a few phrases from an engineer

Fixed that for you.

You could try other beers and attempt to find something that is agreeable to your palette. There are lots of different kinds of beers with all kinds of different flavors.

Alternatively, you could not be a cunt and just not drink beer if you don't like it.

I honestly have no idea what he meant by that.

He's so obsessed with sounding like the "Scientific Elite liberal" that anything used to criticize the stupidity of people that may be in his own circles is seen as nonsense. Despite him being totally infantile in his own approach as seen here

Hi Randall.

What's with the shitty edit? I don't even know what the original was but I can tell someone edited that last panel.

>That's for Pluto, you bitch.

>guy on the left is kind and tries to share his passion about the current events with the eclipse with his friend who is a scientist by relating it to her interests
>girl splurges out like an autistic spaz but saying it's really not remarkable scientifically but it is still remarkable
is this guy not self aware at all?

>Gets pissed when men cheat on women.
>Lets his GF sleep with whoever she wants and it's all good.
Lord have mercy on me. You gotta have massive self-esteem issues or something to be like this. Maybe his mom wasn't in his life, so he tolerates abusive relationships just to fill that gap?

His strawmen are always either not sciencing hard enough or sciencing too hard

Looks like is right. It is an edit.

The author sounds like a cunt and seems obsessed on how people perceive things.
Those comics say more about him than whatever point he tries to make.

the original is even worse

it doesn't look like that to me, the guy on the left its clearly a periodist, it sounds like they are trying to overblown the scientific importance of the eclipse while the on the right its clearly exited about the eclipse because you don't need something to be important or remarkable in order to enjoy it.

That proves my point even more.

If you take abstractions of events out that far, You can complain about everything. It sounds like an autistic rant.

>WHY AREN'T SCIENTISTS HYPED UP ABOUT THE ECLIPSE AS EVERYONE ELSE

Because eclipse's aren't new in the field, they aren't providing a huge amount of new data not already obtained, and most major deductions that can be obstained,

such as this one, can already be done. The comic points out that eclipse's are cool, but they aren't exactly valuable in terms of scientific knowledge as no-one's forming any new theories around them, or theories that rely on them for proof.

It's like asking an explosives expert whether bonfire night will revolutionise the industry, or whether chemists are excited about the potential of paracetamol. They're useful, and they do appreciate them, but they're aren't revolutionary.

There's going to be hell to pay when people actually research some scientific history, look up the ultra violet crisis, and start using 'but scientists were wrong about that, why can't they be wrong about this' for stupid reasons like climate change denial or fucking their dog.

I've tried a lot of kinds of beer, and it's just part of the taste that makes them beer that I don't like. Cider is fine, but I find it kind of boring, and any actual liquor is fine by me.

*eclipses
*obtained
*have already been done
*eclipses

Fuck I'm tired.

Maybe it's more of a play on peer pressure, rather than beer itself? I mean, US beer is pretty poor, but that's no reason for Sup Forums to trigger themselves over a comic strip every thread.

The eclipse actually WILL be used for science, as this is an almost once-in-a-lifetime chance for some scientists to attempt to recreate an experiment regarding Einstein's theory of relativity:

hackaday.com/2017/08/16/eclipse-2017-was-einstein-right/
skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/my-do-it-yourself-relativity-test/
>The physics community took a keen interest in Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity and began looking for ways to prove it. One of the predictions of the theory is gravitational lensing, or the deflection of light by massive bodies (lensing is also a prediction of Newtonian physics, but Einstein’s field equations predict about twice the deflection of light as the classical model). Measuring this effect, though, is no mean feat, mainly because the one thing massive enough and close enough to quantifiably bend light also happens to be really bright itself — the Sun.

>What was needed was a total solar eclipse, and conveniently enough, one would occur in May of 1919. With only four years to go, and with the world torn by war, Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington planned a scientific expedition to the island of Principe off the west coast of Africa. He took a series of photographs of stars in the Hyades cluster, and through careful measurement found that Einstein’s predictions were correct. The publication of his results the next year made a huge splash in the popular press, instantly catapulting Einstein into the public eye and kicking off the age of Relativity.

The article notes that general/spatial relativity are confirmed on a second-by-second basis with every ping of a smartphone's GPS signal, but fuck it, why not go for broke.

I mean I guess there are some people going on about the science of it but almost everything I've seen is talking about the emotional and rarity of it not necessarily the scientific value. Sounds like something Randall just made up to get mad about in the opposite direction.

Normally all his comics are about people hating science or not being engaged with it but now he's flipping it around trying to make himself and other scientists out as the normal people. "Why can't they just enjoy the spectacle there's really not much science to do, truly the unwashed masses are terribly mistaken with their perspective."

Well Sup Forums ?

Boy they all do talk just like regular 8 year olds.

user, scientists are normal people like you or me, they are just so obssesed about something they made it their job, they are not necessarily smarter, but they do are more educated and journalists overblows the scientific importance of events all the time, its how they get clicks and links to their pages.
I agree Randall comes as an asshole more times than not but I also think that most of the backslash he receives comes from people threatened by his "intelligence"

>backslash
I'll bet you're the sort of faggot who says "diamond dozen"
Just kidding, friend, we all make mistakes from time to time

I mean the actual science behind it is pretty insane. The ratio of the size of the sun, moon, earth and the distances between them line up perfectly to make it happen. Scientifically it is actually remarkable and makes xkcd sound like an idiot for saying its not

>scientists are normal people

Yeah, I know that, Randall doesn't seem to. He constantly puts them on a pedestal showing how they're the only people with any sense because of their rigorous focus rationality and science. I was saying this specific comic is flipping that message around instead calling out the general public as too "science focused" or focused on just the surface level while scientists, the true great people of the world, are actually appreciating the beauty and rarity of the event.

Though now that I think about it there are a couple of comics where it comes off as scientists are the only people who can truly appreciate the wonder of the natural world so I guess it kind of is line with that. It's just funny how this comic is saying the general public is too focused on science while the scientists are the one appreciating things without over analyzing.

Are they saying that guys are aloud to go pantless?

I think the point is there's not much new data and what not to be gained from this specific eclipse. There have been quite a bunch of eclipses in the modern day we've been able to analyze and gain knowledge from, this one isn't really that special other than the fact that a lot of people in the United States will be able to see it.

isn't it the first one in a couple hundred years to go across the entire US? Seems special

Been 99 years since that last one went through the entire continental US. And yeah that's special but only insofar as it allows much more people in a highly populated country to see it, not because of the scientific value of it.

I mean shit dude, at the end of the day everything is not special. It's made special by being rare. Infrequent. I'd say not occurring for 99 years is rare.

>The ratio of the size of the sun, moon, earth and the distances between them line up perfectly
For some definitions of "perfect". It'll keep being pretty good for millions of years.

L O L

Yes, I am agreeing with you. I was saying the point Randall is making in the comic is that scientifically it's not that special and yet somehow normies keep focusing on the science of it and just won't accept the wonder and beauty of a rare celestial event. That's what the comic is saying.

However it really seems barely anyone is talking about the science of it and everyone is focused on being able to see the rare celestial event because it looks cool as fuck which I feel is the actual general response.

So the point is Randall is sucking off scientists' dicks about how great they are and how much they appreciate natural beauty.

Will I become as much of an ass as Randall if I study in any scientific field? Sounds spooky

you're a retard and
i really don't get people who think beer doesn't taste good. the first time i had it in my teens i was like "damn this shit is good". i think it's people who haven't grown out of their "yummy phase" where everything they eat needs to be super saturated with sugar or salt.

There is a lot of shit tasting beer though user, it's very easy for people to grow up only drinking the big name brands which by and large are pretty shit.

that's like saying it's justifiable to write of all coffee because you had some shit gas station coffee (although teebeehache i love gas station coffee)
basically it's just losers with no agency who write something off because they can't be assed to spend a little bit of effort to find something good. which i'm sure randall is

beer doesnt taste bad lol

Yeah it's dumb but that shit happens super often and the specific thing that was said was
>i really don't get people who think beer doesn't taste good.

My response was, bad first experiences prevented them from ever pursuing it. It's very easy for a teen to go all through college partying with shitty beer, they think they've got a decent grasp on things I mean they've been drinking beer for 4 years now, surely they have a decent idea and decided to stop drinking beer.

Randall's point, as always, is pretentious as fuck. He's the above guy who doesn't listen to the guy who actually enjoys beer and is trying to explain how they only drank shit and how about you give this one a try. Randall refuses "knowing" all beer is shit and clearly this beer drinker must just be pretending to like beer for cool points or something.

>I can't possibly comprehend that other people like different tastes than I do

LOL

But the "general public" in this comic isn't focusing on science at all.

This is the equivalent of the "My lifelong favorite Marvel character is Batman" normies that Sup Forums's always complaining about.

How much of a hack can a man get? He was sucking Trumboli's cock till the other day.

Wait, isn't this Ben "Gas 'em All' Garrison? The fuck?

He's with the good guys now

just read Dilbert

What? Perhaps I should have said "non-scientific public" but it's pretty clear. You've got the journalist and the scientist. The stand in for the layman public and the science community. The journalist is focused all on the science part of it

>Is this a big moment for science?
>Will you be making any scientific observations?

Journalists are supposed to ask questions the public wants the answer to, so in Randall's estimation the public is obsessed with the science of it. Meanwhile the real people, the scientists, are just wanting to experience it, not trying to science it.

I thought steroids were banned because excessive use causes health problems, and allowing them would force all players to submit themselves to them in order to stay competitive.

Oh, they're just edits.

I'd not be all that surprised if he changed his mind all of a sudden, a good chunk of the alt-right is getting fed up with Trumples.

>No testicles in the head's mouth
I'm disappointed