Where is a good place to start with hellboy comics?

where is a good place to start with hellboy comics?

were you perhaps dropped on your head as a child?

I don't understand people who ask this kind of question
Just read the first appearance/first comic and go on

Wolves of St August

Common sense says anywhere but the chronological end of the series but feel free to do whatever so long as you read all of the associated works.

Seed of destruction is a good place to start user, but it isnt writen by Mike mignola so it's kind of different from the rest of the series. Wake the devil is a good place to start also. Are you going to be collecting it or reading it online?

probably one of favorite Hellboy stories

Here ya go.

Seed of Destruction has a number one on the spine.

How is this a question that comes up so often? I do not understand.

I mean yeah, I want all the people who want to to experience the awesomeness of Hellboy. I just don't get why ask where to start. Now asking what to do with everything not Hellboy volume 1 I get. Like imagine trying to figure out the Visitor if you're new? I get that.

I think people get intimidated because there is so much and it wasn't published chronologically, then there's Hellboy and the BPRD which takes place before where everyone tells you start. Personally I think with a lot of the Hellboy stories you can jump in and enjoy it with out reading previous stories but it's cool to see how a lot of the stories are somehow connected

Yeah, you'd be surprised how many normies will end up reading Hellboy 1952 just because they assume its better to start chronologically in-universe.

One of the best one-shots.

I really wished to high heaven that the reboot movie started from here.

>Opening pre-title drop scene, straight from the Iron Shoe
>Hellboy drops the iron shoes at padre's feet, establishing the character relationship with padre and it will mean something when he dies.

>movie follows Kate's first assignment with Hellboy
>basically Dredd with Hellboy scowling bit less.

>have padre talk about the right hand of doom before he's axed by the werewolf
>Kate falls like in the comics, Hellboy loses against the werewolf, his blood trail creates lily flowers like St George's dragon story

>Hellboy beats the werewolf, the end.

Would've been a satisfying movie.

Starting the movie from the Blood Queen who effectively "ends" Hellboy seems like the same stupid gambit taken from things like Suicide Squad or BvS where we are just expected to know about things and care about them before it's important.

Sounds pretty good but it sounds more like a short than a full movie.

It can be padded out with multiple things or setbacks and there's nothing wrong inherently with a short movie.

If the studio wanted to make it into a franchise then they would put scenes with helldemons, various mystical creatures like Baba Yaga, Thule society all scrying on him.

where does Baltimore fit into all this?

Does Sup Forums even like Baltimore?

Baltimore is not part of the Hellboy universe. But yeah, I like it.

>but it isnt writen by Mike mignola

I never noticed before that the Byrnester was responsible for HB's first outing. Hellboy/She-Hulk crossover when?

Vol 01 for the start or vol 03 for some of the best stories and a good representation of the universe

I mean start from volume 1 I guess? But know that it's a bit rougher than the later parts. The internal monologue is removed after the first volume and there isn't as much text which I believe improves it. I don't hate the early coloring but it get's way better in volume 3 and 4 when we see Dave Stewart jump in.

If you want a good place to just see if you like it I'd say check out volume 3 and 4. But here are a few of my favorite one shots that you can check out.

The Wolves of Saint August
In the Chapel of Moloch
Heads
The Corpse
A Christmas Underground
Dr. Carp's Experiment

That would be a random issue of John Byrne's Netxmen

Yeah I suppose it could be padded out more. I mean it does seem to have more potential than going for a big finale without the build up like they seem to be doing with this new movie.

If they wanted to do a big finale movie, they should've just done Conqueror worm.

You can get the whole Nazi Hellboy origin story and get some nice captain america parallel going with Lobster Johnson.

>Hellboy as a kid listening to LJ story in cheesy superman radio show style. "Be aware the-
>LOBSTER'S CLAW *Thud* and we get a branded Nazi's face as LJ and his troops storm the castle in the Alps.
>The mission is a failure as the Rocket is launched and as for additional cheesey movie factor, have Herman Klempt get branded in the spot where he had his swastika.

It certainly would fit the "have portal/laser in the sky" thing studios seem to love so damn fucking much.

Every movie these days is some chosen one saving the universe, that shit is getting old. Are there no interesting stories? Just cosmic peril?
Mignola is great and the ones where he writes and R Corben draws are 9/10 tier.
Mignola can't draw beauty tho, Corben can. I saw one where a baby was part of the story and it looked like a carved potato, young women also look like they are made of wood. He can do grotesque and diabolical ugliness well, he steals from old illustrations and medieval sculpture efficiently. Beauty just escapes him.

I mean they could cobble together something based on the comic like thery did with the first movie or do something less comic based like the second one.

I mean they can have him saving the world but the story their basing it on is like the end of Hellboy's life and has a great big war. Granted they don't have to do that in the adaptation. I'd prefer it if it was like the third movie in a series perhaps. But this isn't supposed to be a part of the same movie series. It's a reboot.

I just really don't want to see the Blood Queen.

Everything I'm reading feels like I'm getting yet another suicide squad.
>Characters that we haven't spent enough time with
>World saving mission that feels cheap because of it
>Yet more apocalyptic ancient evil women like the Mummy and Suicide Squad.

Yeah I can see that. This is probably one of the more attractive ladies he has done or perhaps some early Liz. So yeah.

Just wait for that one guy to marathon post the whole series in order.
He does it at least once a year.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Just hoping it will be good. But I already know that it's going to do very mediocre. Even if it turns out to be a great movie. The cast ranges from good to bad so I guess it might be a very uneven film. Milla isn't that great of an actress but she is kinda attractive so maybe it works if the Blood Queen is more of a silent character?

Here's a better version if any wants to use it in the future.

Also this.

It gets great, then it changes artist and slowly peters out