Is Calvin and Hobbes better than Peanuts because Watterston never exploited the characters in merchandise?

Is Calvin and Hobbes better than Peanuts because Watterston never exploited the characters in merchandise?

Answering your own question.

it's better than peanuts and every other comic strip on every level imaginable

I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with merchandising so long as there is quality control. Peanuts might have had a couple of cruddy movies here and there but most of the stuff that has been produced has been of generally good to high quality.

Even the modern day film that was released not to long ago was a genuinely great and well made film that stayed with the spirit of the original comics.

I wouldn't say better, just different.

You have to understand, not all comic creators who make merchandise are like Jim Davis, whoring their work out as much as humanly possible solely because they want more money. Charles Schulz did license his characters usage in everything from movies to amusement parks, true, but Schulz always maintained that Peanuts was written and drawn right from the heart all the way up to his death. He made money from the comic, and he certainly wasn't a saint, but he did genuinely care about his work.

Bill Watterson refusing to merchandise Calvin and Hobbes is admirable, certainly, but that doesn't mean that comic creators who DO make merch of their creations are in any way "lesser".

I liked Calvin more as a child because I was a friendless loser. Charlie brown had too many friends to be relatable.

No it's better because it was better written

The capitalist response.

Calvin and Hobbes had more points of perspective in a single Sunday strip than most newspaper comics have in an entire years.

The early years of penuts are solid and funny. The strip just ran too long.

Looking back Calvin was really just a huge dipshit most of the time who treated everybody like garbage, even his only actual friend Hobbes.

Also Dilbert>>>>every other comic strip.

Nah, I'll always love Calvin and Hobbes but Waterson basically ensured that eventually the generation will come along that has never heard of it

Peanuts cartoons will last forever

I've usually preferred Calvin and Hobbes because of the way the jokes/comics were structured. The Peanuts often had strips that just weren't funny or insightful and just 'were'. Not saying Calvin and Hobbes didn't have those but I feel more of the jokes land.

>DUDE OFFICES ARE STUPID AND INEFFICIENT LOL

I feel like the love for Dilbert comes from people just being able to relate to the situations presented, not from the actual quality of the strip

Peanuts isn't even good

This. Its just not funny to me.

I like Calvin and Hobbes more but the first Peanuts comic will forever be the funniest newspaper comic.

That doesn't make either strip superior or inferior. I don't think Watterson's hardline stance against merchandising was a very good thing. It was something that he personally wanted, but that sort of attitude wouldn't work for everyone. Creators do have a right to earn money from their content, and it's not wrong to do so.
I think I probably like Calvin & Hobbes more than I like Peanuts. But that's not because of either artist's opinions on stuff. It's because I find the art on C&H's experimental Sunday gags pretty impressive and I find the writing entertaining.

Calvin and Hobbes was more experimental, and so spiked higher, but Peanuts was more consistent and better overall.

Merchandising had nothing to do with it.

maybe the comic is actually good dipshit

No Calvin and Hobbes is just better written than Peanuts.

Calvin is the child I aspired to be.
Charlie Brown is the child I'm afraid I was.

Dilbert is more about identity and the humour of office politics than about experimenting with the medium.

>tfw they will never make a cute, comfy Calvin and Hobbes movie to go out with a bang like they did with peanuts.

I always love how C&H can switch from comfy to bitingly satire in a single strip.

>kid playing with car, cute
>mocking the American dream and quest for power in 80's America

Having "friends" who don't like you is worse than being alone.

You think the reason people don't like Charlie Brown is because his friends remember he used to play pranks and was a bit of a shit?

Charlie Brown has a whole harem at his disposal. Calvin only has Susie.

no, it's better because calvin has a tiger as his best friend

You retards seem to hate anyone who likes making money. Is there some sort of jealousy when you see some with a successful product selling it? Do you feel entitled? Does it bother you to see that someone likes making money?

Shit, man, is mr. Jones well?
I really need to know.

Yeah, I've never worked at an office a day in my life and I can still empathize with Dilbert. It's a comic about people and dealing with them more than it is about an office job.

No

>Calvin only has Susie.
>forgetting Hobbes and Mr. Bun

Never let go of your imagination, user. You'll turn into one of those boring foot fetishists.

I've never thought about it but that is certainly an interesting idea.

I doubt it. Unless he was saved by superhero aliens at the last second, I don't think your getting out of a car exploding mid-air alive.

I would love a Calvin cartoon. Shame about Watterson's autism.

>Charlie Brown has a whole harem at his disposal
Didn't they all hate him?

Violet is best girl.

Marcie and Peppermint Patty had a crush on him. Peggy Jean was his gf during the 1990s. Even though the other characters often treated him harshly, every now and then they did show that they still cared about him.

Not really, the generic capitalist response wouldn't care about quality control and say to simply let the demand of the people control how merchandising functions.

Shut up, Ayn Rand.

Shut up, parasite.