ITT: deaths that should've stuck

Jason Todd
/thread

Like someone said a couple days ago in the jubilee thread, Colossus and Illyana from the legacy virus arc

Every Spider-Man death ever. The point of the character is supposed to be growth and character development that sticks. Bringing people back ruins that.

Spider-Gwen is a spit in the face

Impulse.

Slott struck gold. And then he flushed it away.

I've always thought this comic was a really good send-off to Sabretooth, despite (or maybe because) wolverine having pretty much no part in it

the contrast between scott and creed is just great and those moments of insight into Creed's psyche are pretty creepy.
There's also an underlying tragic element where Sabretooth practically admits he's too much of a coward to try and change himself and then basically commits suicide by cop rather than be taken back to the x-mansion

Spider-Gwen doesn't count because she's just from an alternate universe

spider-man hasn't meant that for no shit 20 years. Marvel let go and you need to as well. Just bring back everyone save uncle ben and keep playing those greatest hits

The ending of Thanos Imperative was a really nice conclusion for these three characters, and then it was ruined by retcons and resurrecting everyone involved making the whole conclusion pointless.

You mean ten years. Starting this year no less.

>implying Superior Spider-man isn't one of only good stories Slott has done on his Spider-Man run

i think that for the most part spider-man hasn't been a good comic since the late 90s even if JMS wrote a good peter and there were a few good stories before OMD

This is a great moment, I honestly hate bringing characters back to life in cape comics with such a passion that it makes me wonder why I even bother reading them

superior spidey is fucking dogshit that took a good premise and squandered it by making otto a moustache twirler, all of the supporting cast stupid, and ignoring the character development that he recieved when peter handed over the mantle

the ending was a fucking spider-man no more story that ended with otto throwing the proverbial suit in the garbage can instead of sacking up and solving his own problems like a real spider-man would. Otto decided bawww i'm not cut out for this, learned nothing, and died as cowardly as he began. slott had no faith in his own premise from the jump and it made superior an exercise in frustration.

gage and Yost did more with the premise in their supporting books than slott ever did. It's not the worst shit slott has ever written, but it's probably the story with the most potential that i've seen him fuck up so hard.

>but it's probably the story with the most potential that i've seen him fuck up so hard.
Oh you must have not read Spider-verse then

spider-verse was always a retarded idea. it's a lot worse than superior but EVERY SPIDER-MAN EVER TEAMS UP TO KILL VAMPIRES is at its heart extremely dumb.

Is that MJ? When did they have a kid?

What the fuck happened to it?

Welp, time to make a deal with Satan and never have my soulmate for all eternity.

It was dumb in the best way possible.

>Welp, time to make a deal with Satan and never have my soulmate for all eternity.
No, see, this was the first time Aunt May died. It turned out to be instead a genetically modified actress that Norman hired to pretend she's Aunt May and the real Aunt May was sequestered off to an abandoned warehouse

That's Normie, who's Harry's son

WTF why are they so serious, why aren't they dancing?

>hired to pretend she's Aunt May and the real Aunt May was sequestered off to an abandoned warehouse

Ah so the old Charles Xavier move

That's not their kid, that's Harry's. But they /did/ have a kid....sorta. The moment it came out Norman killed her.

Honestly it really feels like it should've been Mary Jane who died, so Peter has to make the sacrifice of bringing her back but erasing their life together.

This asshole. His dark as fuck implied death was one of the things that Alien Force did right, and There was no reason for it to be Retconned in Omniverse. Hell a lot of Omniverse's problems can be blamed on trying so hard to distance itself from AF/UA, that it actually goes to the opposite end of the spectrum.

Would have been funny if he did all that shit for an actress

Post OMD had some great stories. I actually really enjoyed a large portion of Brand New Day and the leadup to Grim Hunt. Off the top of my head, I enjoyed the following stories:

-most of the mysteries related to Menace (reveal excluded)
-everything related to anti-venom
-rhino, sandman, and mysterio 'Gauntlet' stories (I enjoyed Electro too but can see why it would be disliked)
-super villain bar/the bookie
-the snowstorm arc that starts with Wolverine
-that one segment from the macroverse story where you see everyone calling Peter and his answering machine, culminating with MJ leaving a message but the machine was full.

Were they the best stories ever? No not really, but they were fun, entertaining, and felt like 'classic' Spidey.

>not pissing off as much people as possible

Do you even know how to Marvel mutha fucka?

I mean she didn't die yet, but Aunt May needs to go.

Yeah some of the stuff was good but to tell you the truth I found it hard coming back to them. It's mostly because a lot of stuff goes nowhere. Really the only story I enjoyed was the Juggernaut. It also has a problem of trying to play with the status quo while also trying to stick to it.

I still don't know what was up with Flash Bart. Did he remember his life from that period later?

Aunt May did die. That was the whole crux of One More Day. And she definitely should have stayed dead.

Wrong. Under the hood and the RHaTO make it worth it

I don't care, it's rapidly becoming more and more normal to feature her

could've been cool in a asm 500 sort of way if it featured spidey's rich multimedia history triumphantly as opposed to what it actually was

You'll get a lot of waifufags who will argue against Illyana because current evil teleporting bus girl makes their dicks hard.

But Colossus 100% should've stayed dead. He was never really an interesting character, spent a long time bouncing around between various roles and really had had nothing going for him. He was just a guy who was kind of there for 15 years and his death was a good one.

A good comic can be written around a dumb concept, same way a bad comic can be written around a good concept. The problem is that Slott is an hack.

He only died because one butthurt guy set up an auto-dialer and cast hundreds of votes with it, more votes than the actual difference between Live and Die. If it wasn't for him then Jason Todd would've never died.

And Illyana's death was probably the last time an X-Men comic made me feel

so that shit should have stuck

Bless him

Oh yeah. I think this was a great conclusion to Sabretooth as well. I think the fact that Wolverine played no part in it was good too mainly because Scott was the perfect contrast to Sabretooth for this story. He never had any sort of emotional connection to Sabretooth beyond the fact they fought against each other and occasionally beside each other.

So when he gives Sabretooth that speech as to how Creed is a coward, there is no real malice behind it. Essentially, he is just telling Creed what he really is. A honest assessment to who Creed really.

Logan should stay dead.

Exactly.
He even feels a bit bad for him dying like that.

Dude, she's dead. It's a demon pretending to be Illyana that's in the comics today. They keep hinting at it.

. the runt's plot armor immortal and you know it .

But Sabretooth has that Marauders clone thing with Mr. Sinister, even if the original gets got there's still always going to be the clones, so why even bother killing off the original?
Having that one guy around that can always put the lie to the "best there is" line isn't a bad thing. It's his gimmick. And it's worth keeping him around for.
So why remove that? Some writer will just have to replace him with another "worthy foe" if you do, and then your stuck with the same package in a different wrapper.

Now, what about Omega Red ?
There's a character that just embodied an outdated concept that's no longer relevant.
Bringing them back returns nothing that can't be found elsewhere.

>Dude, she's dead. It's a demon pretending to be Illyana that's in the comics today. They keep hinting at it.

that sounds like a typical comic excuse

>But Sabretooth has that Marauders clone thing with Mr. Sinister,
I thought that was an unused tossed-around idea

>Having that one guy around that can always put the lie to the "best there is" line isn't a bad thing.
eh, make it cyber or lady deathstrike. who cares.

>omega red outdated

agreed, sniktbub should get an islamic arch nemesis

this picture is the stuff of nightmares
fuck you and fuck them for making it

fucking cunts

But that death was permanent.

Kraven

>Surprised a horror comic has disturbing imagery.

zombies
I expected zombies

not that fucking deviantart fetish tier shit

The real Illyana died in Inferno.
The one who died of Legacy Virus was not a character, just a plot device to make Colossus, Kitty and Jubilee worried/sad/angry

The real Star-Lord died that day, the Star-Lord we got is a imposter.

Jason
Steph
Damian
Ted Kord
Elektra
Gwen
Kraven

you're forgetting she got aged up in the first place.
if anything she went back to her normal original character

Same goes for Ultimate Peter, but this was way worse in my opinion

I wish Ulitmate gwen survive. Or maybe she did survive? 616 gwen is dead, I don't know why bendis didn't get the chance to bring her over to the 616 universe like the rest.

All of them. Besides the really shitty and stupid ones.

Colossus was brought back for nostalgia and shipping purposes, and since Whedon left, they've kept giving him new gimmicks to try and make him interesting or important, and none of them stick.

you serious? that was random as fuck.

Omega Red isn't a Communist, he's a villain who just happens to be Russian. In contrast to all of the "evil version of Wolverine" characters, Omega Red is like a reversal of Wolverine's powers.

It was made very clear at the start that it wasn't really Magik, but the X-Men took her in and just pretended it was her.

There's great story potential in this backfiring horribly for them, but most writers just want to ignore it and pretend she's real, it seems.

It's just such a bad death for the character. Spidey is kind of like Supes, he shouldn't go out in a way intended to make the reader angry.

>It was made very clear at the start that it wasn't really Magik, but the X-Men took her in and just pretended it was her.

didn't they do the same with doug ramsey/warlock?
Whatever happened to that?

it was random, but IIRC the resurrected gwen was basically a piece of carnage's dna that kept gwen's memories. It's plain retarded to resurrect a character and have everyone pretend it's the original one when you know it factually isn't.

retarded?
sounds just like what people would do to me.
It's actually quite sad.

it's retarded because they resurrected her in a stupid way just for the sake of having her around again, the character was the exact same, might as well have never died in the first place

If Harry had come back as the master mind of the Clone Saga, or had a better excuse for being alive than 'surprise, Harry died because Peter Parker getting married was wrong' then it could have been excused.

As is, it's almost as bad as Norman Undying?

We got Under the Red Hood from it eventually, so you are wrong

Doctor Octopus in Web of Death
He knew Spider-Man's identity but he didn't give a fuck.
He wanted a last dance. One last dance.

I don't even mind that they brought the back

But it made no fucking sense how they did it
>Death permanently kills all life in the cancerverse
>But wait, I guess it didn't REALLY stick and fucking everything comes back to life including Drax but not cancerverse Mar vell for some reason even though he was the ringleader
>Richard gets shafted because he's not a GotG member or Thanos

It really was atrocious

It's even worse because the explanation is that Norman was responsible for faking Harry's death, when Norman's entire motivation for years, his reason for ever coming back, had been revenge for Harry's death.

Harry was a better Green Goblin than Norman, and Norman should have never been brought back.

well did her death have a point?

Barry should remain dead.
Wally should be the actual Flash and Barry get back for one story every 5 years more or less.

Make him stuck in the speed force (generating it or some shit) and use him from some time travel shenanigan or when shit got too much serious, how it used to be on wally run.

This way you have wally and bart legacy going on and also you can not spoil barry figure as some kind of inspiration for all the speedsters.

Both are garbage, fuck off.

it is but it isn't. l

... how come I never realized the Green Goblin is carrying around a big pink purse

>end threading your own post
>garbage taste

You. I like you.

It's a great cheesy, comic-booky plot. No one expected it to be Shakespeare, but it would have been fun. Instead, he made it a tedious marathon of frustration.

>he hasn't read either

how would you bring them back

Not like that.

Basically everyone hated Bendis's canververse story.

And if I was going to bring them back, I certainly wouldn't do it with no explanation for months before creating that monstrosity.

I like the current theory that Ego created current Starlord from Peter's DNA to trick the galaxy into trusting him while he unleashes his master plan.

OFC the nuStarlord ends up rebelling when he realizes he was just a trojan horse to spread Ego seeds across the galaxy.

Cypher and Warlock both came back at different times.

Douglock was created from the remains of Warlock back in the 1990s, then years later they retconned him into being a resurrected Warlock all along.

Cypher was one of a lot of dead characters brought back for the Necrosha crossover, but he was the only one that stuck around, to complete the New Mutants reunion lineup. In addition to boosting his powers to "reading body language" and that suddenly making him great at fighting, he was written as seeming colder and less human, and he goaded someone as innocent as Warlock into killing Cameron Hodge, people thought this was going somewhere, but it didn't, it just ended up being part of the X-books making everyone a "fight for survival, kill or be killed" character.

>Harry was a better Green Goblin than Norman, and Norman should have never been brought back.

At the time of the Clone Saga, Harry had been the better Goblin, but bringing him back as a villain again would have cheapened his death.

And while the lows have been bad, the high-points of Norman's life after the Clone Saga have been so great, it's hard to imagine if he'd stayed dead.

And none of this has anything to do with how Slott brought Harry back, and did so in a way that meant Norman's motivations for years were all a lie.

Because it's purple.

HAR

Spider Island was all around better.

Nah, everyone that supposedly died here came right back without explanation.

Current Nova pretends this ending did not really happen since Mar Vell is still alive there, Thanos got out, Rich got out, and Death is still not a thing in that universe.

I could live with that theory

But does that mean thanos and drax are clones too?

Also theres the small problem that Rich made his own way back from the cancerverse and his story corroborates Quill's

>And while the lows have been bad, the high-points of Norman's life after the Clone Saga have been so great, it's hard to imagine if he'd stayed dead.
Highs: Dark Reign, Marvel Knights Spidey
Lows: Siege, Clone Saga, Everything in the 90s after Clone Saga, Every Slott story with Norman, Sins Past
Wow gee Norman's revival was really worth it

Eh Rich could just be lying or something. He was being fairly shadyto Sam. Or we just ignore it like sins past.

From what I read yes to Drax but no idea about thanos. Something about probably death bringing him back like she usually does.

Which brings my favourite theory, death ressurects thanos because she genuinely can't stand him. It also doesn't help he ends up kiilling alot of people for her.

>Highs: Dark Reign, Marvel Knights Spidey

You left out the two Norman stories Jenkins wrote, Thunderbolts, and the Osborn miniseries.

>Lows: Clone Saga, Everything in the 90s after Clone Saga,

Norman's role in the Clone Saga isn't "bad", unless you're outraged by the idea of him returning. His 1990s appearances after that, and before Gathering of Five & The Final Chapter were mostly solid, occasionally very good.

>Sins Past

No true Norman Osborn fan would call his greatest victory a low.

Red Hood Jason isn't even the Jason who died. He's a new character that grew from the idea of a dead Robin; his whole character revolves around being the dead Robin. Original Jason had some dark moments, but he was still a kid, , nowhere near as extreme as Red Hood Jason.