Is this the most anti religious animated movie out there?

Is this the most anti religious animated movie out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6ds9y3lJGig
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah sure, why not?

No, this is.

The scene by the bonfire and that song make me really at peace with life.

What? It's literally telling one of the most famous stories out of all the sand people religions. It's up there with the Jew on a stick and that metal ass story about God ripping out some dudes rib cage and turning it into a bitch for him to fuck.

>movie about the jews and God
>Anti-religious

Yeah, it fucking defamed the Egyptian religion something terrible.
>implying Ra couldn't take YHWH

I thought the movie was about the Artist Formerly Known as: The Prince of Egypt. It might have had something to do with an ancient Egyptian record contact. Moses had the word slave written on his cheek.

Its because god is the real villain in that movie as he was the one hardening the pharaohs heart as opposed to using his magic to free the slaves instantly and there was a strong theme of religion tearing people apart and being used to justify violence.

Sounds like you're just watching it through fedora lenses.

You're confusing the movie version with the line from the bible. In thr movie Pharaoh Ramses just says "Then let my heart be hardened."

>he was the one hardening the pharaohs heart
Not in this version faglag.

>tfw old testament god is my waifu

spbp

>Is this the most anti religious animated movie out there?
That's not Rick and Morty: the movie.

That line implies that he isn't the one doing it. But even if we assume it was, we have to remember that god is punishing Egyptian civilians+children for what the Pharaoh is doing when he could easily have set the slaves free himself. The Exodus story was really meant to be a way to show off gods power and that doesn't translate well to the supposed "all loving" version this movie uses. That is the only real flaw with this movie, had they used the original interpretation of god being wrathful, it would have been a perfect tragedy movie.

I remember hearing that the Jewish community, or parts of it anyway, were really pissed off that they portrayed Moses and Rameses being best friends for a lot of the movie, and Moses getting all sentimental over it. I dunno much Bible, especially Old Testament, but I do recall hearing that embellishment rubbed some the wrong way.

This is

Does this mean they were perfectly fine with the child killing their god did in the movie? Genuine question.

I believe they were fine with it, because that happened the same way in the Bible I'm pretty sure. It's a pretty big deal even. A holiday called Passover. I'm sure you've heard of it. If they'd have changed the final plague to reflect contemporary morality I think Jews, Christians and even Muslims would hit the damned roof.

Making god into a blunt asshole would have made the movie better.

Now, I always saw the "I will harden Pharaoh's heart" thing was so to make it clear that Phraoh had to let the Israelite people go because their god commanded it, rather than because that god was causing the Egyptian people to suffer.

Okay sure, but understand that anything that significantly deviated from the old testament would have gotten spit roasted by Christians and Jews, and then taken out back and shot by Muslims. We can't just revise the Bible, who do you think we are, Mormons? Point being, those Egyptian babies needed to die to prove a point. And they did, as far as Exodus is concerned.

Anti religious how?

Old Testament God always was pretty fucking hardcore.

Pretty much. He was all about that capital G back then. Like, very little sense of humor even on a good day.

Samson though, now he had jokes.

>WHO MADE MAN. WHO MADE THE DEAF, THE MUTE, THE SEEING OR THE BLIND. DID NOT I? NOW GO!
Scared the shit out of me.

Then again, for all His hard-ass tendencies, He was very quick to give people second chances. Samson, for instance. Moses too, and the entire rest of the nation of Israel, on Moses' word.

It was a fine movie about freeing slaves and brotherly drama or whatever. and sometimes God and magic and lots and lots of suffering.

Sounds like it depended on the writer huh?

J source versus P source versus E source versus D source (at least in the OT. NT is just a mess), even if they were all collected into a comprehensive work around the same time

that undermines the whole point of the plagues to begin with. like torturing someone after injecting them with a drug that makes them immune to torture.

the other interpretation makes more sense, where it was Pharaoh's own gods who hardened his heart because they didn't want their high priest to cave in to a foreign deity undermining their authority, but that got retconned out of canon when it was decreed all other gods are actually just demons in disguise and not powerful enough to defy God's will.

Stupid sexy cow.

>that undermines the whole point of the plagues to begin with. like torturing someone after injecting them with a drug that makes them immune to torture.
It was always about the display of power though.

It's funny to me that you think that. The only anti-religious sentiment brought to The Prince of Egypt is from the viewers, as it will all depend upon their personal standards and interpretations of Biblical events. While the movie takes some liberties with the source materials, none of the stuff people are likely to see as anti-religious has been changed from the source. Nor is the story itself making any argument about this events, vis a vis for or against religion or Abrahamic religions in particular. It's just an adaptation of the myth.

This one, on the other hand, is the most specifically anti-religious. Even for things like South Park, there's a difference between blasphemy and outright rejection of the concept of religious belief and life.

We can surely all agree Deliver Us is a fucking top tier song.

Sausage Party is genuinely the most nihilistic film I've ever seen, and that's not a compliment.

Heaven's Eyes is uplifting as fuck, how is it anti-religious?

I loved the version of the Burning Bush. One thing that The Prince of Egypt did unequivocally right was their version of Moses meeting God for the first time.

The problem is that Ra is a pantheon god with limitations, where as YHWH is a donut steel that can do whatever he wants and is automatically tougher than any other god

Truly He is the One Punch God.

And is based on a storm god, which have a history of fucking shit up in Egyptian mythos.

As others have said, no where in this movie does God hardened his heart. But it does appear in the bible. What's confusing though is that there are verses that says the pharaoh hardened his own heart or his heart was hardened. So the fair interpretation is that when it says, God hardened the pharaoh's heart, it basically means indirectly. For example, let's say I spilled water on the floor and then you tripped on it, modern writing would put as "And user tripped on the water that user spilled", but in Hebrew it's different. It would read "user has tripped user." Now obviously I didn't trip you personally, but in Hebrew would attribute your trip to me. There's other examples of this in the OT. So God through sending his messenger Moses or the 10 plagues, which hardened the Pharoh's heart, would indirectly be attributed to God.

One might also point to the typical concerns around theodicy, though I don't really know how much old testament stuff goes into "god is literally the fount of everything in the world" sort of stuff that has made theodicy a thing to begin with.

>hurr durr you can't dislike god while believing in him

Are Dreamworks /ourgoys/?

So the more clear wording in that case was, "God caused Pharaoh to harden his heart," because while he hardened his heart in reaction to God's demands, God didn't zap him with holy mind beams and directly force him to act like a stubborn pompous jerkwad when Pharaoh otherwise wouldn't have. That was just Pharaohs own reaction.

My understanding is that God was a proponent of free will (but choose the right thing, or else.), given a lot of other silly shit that went down, so that interpretation makes a bit more sense to me.

That's really another can of worms really, but the OT does have a lot to say about God's sovereignty and evil existing as well, though if you want to go to the main dishes, just go to the Book of Job and Book of Ecclesiastes.

Fuck off, YMS.

Yeah, most people go with your original interpretation when first reading these verses. Though there other valid explanations for this event, so I'd encourage to try and check them out. The one I gave was the most widely accepted interpretation and was mostly likely the version that this movie ran with.

Its also amazing how both Moses and God are voiced by Val Kilmer

>literal Bat-god
>youtube.com/watch?v=6ds9y3lJGig

That is kind of the point, he's showing that he is the one true God.

Honestly for an all-powerfull and all-knowing being Old Testment God acts way too petty, I don't know how christfags can reconciliate this portrayal with the all-loving christian version.

show me a remake where the egyptian gods actually come out to fight yahweh

now that would be sick

In the film, it's definitely on Pharaoh's part. Hardening is mentioned once and he says he's doing it to himself in the sense he's steeling himself against his sentimentality and the final plague comes when he decides he's going to genocide the Jews.
He was a hard god for a hard world.
But then came a time to mellow the fuck out.

But also the morality there is very much running off the mentality of sins of your father are yours as well. Egypt had to pay for killing those babies, Pharaoh had to pay for his sacrilege. They had to fucking pay.

Basically his wrath is always in response to something, typically us being shit.
However, despite his wrath, we continue to be shit.
Therefore, being wrathful isn't working, and our shittiness needs to be approached from another angle.
Enter Jesus, who we kill. And now God doesn't want to deal with our nonsense. We're not even worth killing. Just sit, and wait for us to wipe ourselves out.

To be fair Jesus dying is the point, then he resurrects and ascends.
Now we can be free of paying for the sins in our blood.
Though I guess we still have taint on us since that's the point of baptism.

This. So much this.
Pic related so. damn. much.

The fact that they were adoptive brothers makes the story all the more tragic.