Why so many people dislike Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry?

Why so many people dislike Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry?

I know it's different than original series but it's also great in Chuck Jones unique style
And it's very funny

>people hate Will Hanna and Joe Barberra because "muh cheap copy/paste cartoons"
>but they think their version of Tom and Jerry is best

I loved it as a kid but can't stand it now.

Everyone looks too smug.

because they're fags.

because it's the same damn thing every episode. It's just tom trying to catch the fucking rat with little to no variation in the plot. you've seen one episode, you've seen them all.

their tom and Jerry was extremely well drawn, and had great animation.

that one European guys Tom and Jerry's are the worst ones. Chuck Jones I guess were okay.

>implying Tom and Jerry wasn't a copy/paste cartoon

i think it is the best Tom & Jerry. NOT INDIVIDUALLY, since if you look at the classic shorts one by one, they are amazing. But the Chuck Jones ones are simply CONSISTENT.

Plus, thanks to Chuck there were at least some genuinely interesting female characters. For example, Best Cat.

>Pic

She was the ONLY Tom Girlfriend that didn't betray him for Jerry at the end. We need pictures of her beating up the other treasonous Tom Girlfriends.

I would promise to draw that, but I usually deliver such promises several years later.

>dislike Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry?
Better than the Deitch one's that were made with half the budget and animated by Czechoslovakian slave animators who hated western animation

>gene Deitch
i'm scared to ask what they look like

Because the slapstick is garbage and it's generally unfunny. The Hanna-Barberra era of Tom & Jerry was the only good one as they have both perfected it.

It's difficult to explain, but all of the Chuck Jones T&Js had a tendency to linger on the animation and the jokes. They didn't feel snappy like the old Hanna Barbara shorts, and the set ups took too long and were convoluted. It was sluggish and verbose animation.

>Because the slapstick is garbage and it's generally unfunny
What?

>who hated western animation
¿Que? They just had little experience with it until then.

That's a sexy fish.

user, please give an example of what YOU find funny, then we'll see if we agree or not

I love opening sequence

Wait a minute, that cat

Not him. But I do agree mean spirited slapstick is lame. It must be justified, otherwise you're like a 5 year old laughing at his dad who fell off the ladder breaking his ribs.

I've come to appreciate Gene Deitch's version of Tom and Jerry. It's odd as fuck.

Chuck is funny but I hate his sameface as he got late in his career.

Were they Czechs or Slovaks? Know the difference, it could save your life

Chuck Jones' Tom & Jerry was too slow-paced and reused comedy bits that were done better by previous studios.

At least it's not that more recent version that is done in Flash.

if I have to guess, I would say it's from the cat returns

Hanna-Barberra's Tom & Jerry felt like it had more weight and momentum. Chuck Jones' felt soft and squishy. I like them both but I prefer H-B's

Good heavens

I tend to like both on their own merits. The Chuck Jones version had an interesting style to it (plus I do have a soft spot for the retro space episodes Chuck Jones has done for a variety of cartoons.) But in terms of momentum and animation fluidity it feels somewhat off. Imo his style is better suited for the looney tunes episodes where the humor involved more talking than slapstick.

They don't have quite the same comedic timing as the previous stuff. The expressions are great though.

The slapstick and animation is much more consistent in the original. Chuck Jones is fine, and I prefer the character designs, but the slapstick is too rigid. There's not as much payoff. Plus, they focus quite a bit on non-slapstick based stories, which provides great variety for the price of losing what we signed up for.