ITT: Examples of negative representation in comics and cartoons

ITT: Examples of negative representation in comics and cartoons.

Pic very fucking related.

Other urls found in this thread:

spectator.co.uk/2017/06/harry-potter-and-the-millennial-mind/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lol faggot

you mean non pandering

>negative representation

What?

Midnighter, when well written, isn't representing anything other than his character. He just so happens to like fleshsnakes.

How is having positive representation pandering?

Midnighter is good representation because he's not a stereotype. He's a good character.

>A violent psychopath who is gay.
>not negative representation

>He's a good character.
he really isn't.

This.
Real life gay people hate characters like Midnighter.
That's why they read Marvel instead.

I don't know what Dark Horse was thinking with Captain Faggot, He was a pretty cool Idea for the times but it's not 2005 anymore and people are going to get offended by Captain Faggot's popular phrase 'Fruity Dooty Dick in Booty'

>when he's written well
He's never written well though.

Most gay people I know like Midnighter. They like him for who he is not because he's gay.

Yeah, Captain Faggot's whole arc where he fought against the manifestation of AIDS was really odd. And all the puns about dick sucking starts getting tiresome especially when the writers start to bring out the bad ones like: 'You might bring a lasso to a fist fight Assless Cowboy but I bring lips to a beer bong.'

how is he negative representation

cause he's not shouting from the havens he's gay 24/7 and prefers to get shit done

When writing a gay character, the writer is responsible for making sure they set a good example for positive representation.

If a character fails that, you've officially failed as a writer.

Middy's a cool guy.

Pandering

You wot m8?

>positive representation for gays is suddenly pandering
Homophobia is dead they said.

>they set a good example for positive representation.

what does this mean what is your definition of positive representation

Don't be such chumps to fall for OP's shitty bait. At least make him work for it.

>WAAH! WHY WONT THEY DO IT MY WAY?
Pandering

He gives people the wrong impression about gays. He's basically the male equivalent of Pearl.
>cool guy
Name one LGBT person who'd find this "cool".

Basically a normal person.
So basically, the opposite of series like Midnighter, Steven Universe and Yuri!! On Ice.

Fuck it's this user again who keeps making " How come there's no (insert minority here) in comics and when you give him an example he'll reply BECAUSE THEY DON'T FIT MY VISION.

>He gives people the wrong impression about gays

that gay people can be utter fucking badass who don't care what others think and will continue to be him self

No that gays are violent sociopaths.

Gays are already an oppressed minority, they don't need the kind of stigma a character like Midnighter brings.

but he's not a sociopath he feels emotions he has a stable relation ship a large an diverse group of friends

That still doesn't make him a positive example for LGBT readers.

Brainiac is a very negative representation of NEET virgin autists.

Midnighter is more than gay. He has a personality. He's a anti hero. His character doesn't revolve around him being gay just like gay people in real life.

>Leth
Of course

he saves the world how is that not positive

Just as a reminder, OP is a faggot, and a poor advocate for homosexuals everywhere for wanting such one dimensional characters, and just being a lazy trolling shit

And yet his mere existence adds to the stigma that gays and lesbians already face.
Failure as a writer.

with out a doubt I'm having fun watching OP do some crazy mental gymnastics arguing against me

>a poor advocate for homosexuals everywhere for wanting such one dimensional characters
Positive representation =/=one dimensional characters.
Take at look at OK KO; various characters are positive LGBT reps and are written very well.

He's violent and psychopathic.
That kind of offsets the good he supposedly does.

>a poor advocate for homosexuals everywhere for wanting such one dimensional characters,
So what you're saying is, OP is a writer from Marvel.

Now people will think all homosexuals have combat computers in their head and can kill them in seconds.

...why is that bad?

>Name one LGBT person who'd find this "cool".
My life partner.
And myself.
So there's two.
Eat shit.

>and psychopathic.
this post also works to prove his not a psychopathic as well because he has stability

Because that's untrue and contributes to a horrible stereotype.

A writers job isn't to fucking improve society. It's too writer captivating characters & stories.

>who would lie on the Internet
The fact you find Midnighter cool leads me to question your sexuality.

when were gays stereotyped into being asskickers?

I didn't relies that a gay stereotype was that all gay people have combat computers in the brains

He's a hero who fights evil and has a loving relationship with his husband and daughter. Seems like a pretty positive representation to me.

>loving relationship with his husband and daughter
when the hell did he get married I missed that and who's his daughter
tell me Satan roller

That's why you shouldn't skip sex ed. Everyone knows that gays have super computers on their brains and can shoot from their dicks.

Midnighter is one of the most important gay characters in comics. He and Apollo are the first gay married couple in comics. He's one of the first gay superheroes in comics. He's more of a anti-hero than a hero. He's not a psychopath or a sociopath. He's sane. He's a good fighter. He's a really strong powerful character who happens to be gay.

> he only read Orlando's run
Go fix that right now.

>A writers job isn't to fucking improve society.
Tell that to the writers who changed society for the better.
>It's too writer captivating characters & stories.
And they can do that while making a statement. Look at Harry Potter.

Yeah, shame on the writers for not making him a rainbow colored flaming hero who throws confetti and constantly talks (with a lisp) about how gay and oppressed he is. Who is only allowed to fight villains who constantly talk about how much they hate gay people. How dare they actually make him an interesting character that happens to be gay.

That sounds like the beginning of not writing any gay character ever.

You're a weak troll, dear user. Try better.

That gays fuck up any and all people trying to hurt them and other? Whut

It's not hard writing gay characters.
OK KO proved that.

He and Apollo are the same sex married couple in comics . It's what he's famous for .

my school stopped in the middle of sex ed ; we did straight and we were on bi before finishing on gay.
when a bi kid transformed into a dragon like all bi people can do and attacked a nearby village

So positive representation means you have to be a blatant stereotype?

Fuck off.

If someone lgbt or not doesn't find someone headbutting a bullet through a guys head cool then their opinions on anything cease to matter.

Harry Potter is fucking overrated trash.

>Who is only allowed to fight villains who constantly talk about how much they hate gay people.
To be fair, I think his villains would have to be pretty damn dumb to bring it up. He and Apollo kicked Kev's ass for it and they sort of tolerate the guy.

I know that I thought they were still dating and living together not married yet

>Look at Harry Potter
Holy fucking shit get off this board right now.

You need to go on Sup Forums more

They were married for a long time than the New 52 happen and they weren't married anymore just dating .

ok I was talking about the new runs of them right now not the old ones

I have read those (pre52) its the current once(post52/rebirth) that I was freaking out about and thought they got married again and I missed it

You do realize Harry Potter generation is a term for a reason, right?

Kev got his ass kicked several time for diferent reasons and Midnighter called in his shit by only being a homophone because of steriotipes

>A term only you use

spectator.co.uk/2017/06/harry-potter-and-the-millennial-mind/

How does he power work? Is it sort of line telepathy?

Orlando his lastest writer thinks he is cool.
And really he is his own person his sexuality is just a trait no his personality

>Gay people should be stereotyped as pure, bright souls rather than written with the ethical complexity all humans possess within them
wut

>harry-potter-and-the-millennial-mind
The hole keeps digging deeper.

His supercomputer lets him see possible outcomes for every situation. There's an issue of his original solo written in reverse to showcase this.

Haven't you heard of the mere representation theory?

Oh but it's okay to stereotype straight people this way?

Once gays are treated as equals to straight people, perhaps we can have more "realistic" depcitons of gays. But for now, we need all the positive representation we can get.

He defeat a guy giving him a hug

Why do they need to make a statement? Why can't they just write a fun story?

> bitching about Midnigther when it's Apollo that gets the short end of the stick

Those firearms are very poorly drawn.

Top quality bait right here, OP must be an Aussie.

What do aussies have anything to do with this?

Shitposting

I don't think your conception of positive representation actually helps gay people. On the contrary, I think that in media directed at adults, it hinders attempts for inequality because it holds up an ideal that can't be matched.

Sure, have positive representation in stuff directed at younger people. Adult entertainment needs to be more complex than that.

Also
>Oh but it's okay to stereotype straight people this way?
The opposite of my point. I'm saying that adult-oriented entertainment should have complex characters no matter the sexual orientation. If LGBT characters are represented as having a fundamentally different character to straight characters, surely that suggests that there is a fundamental divide between being straight and being LGBT, beyond sexual orientation?

Because that defeats the whole point of writing.

Comics have been making changes to society since WWII, before America decided to follow in Germany's footsteps.

Pray tell, what's the 'right' impression?

I thought the point of writing was to organize information and to transcribe stories.

Are you saying the pulp writers in the 20s onward who were cranking out stories to put a roof over their heads and food in their mouths were defeating the point of writing?

You, as a straight person, wouldn't understand why LGBT groups need this.

So you really can't speak on our behalf about representation and how to write gay characters.

>Are you saying the pulp writers in the 20s onward who were cranking out stories to put a roof over their heads and food in their mouths were defeating the point of writing?
These writers have since lost to time and have been forgotten and will probably never be seen as real authors.

If you want boring gays, go read Wiccan or something.

Yeah I kinda wish he have some personality it's so sad

You could attack my identity or you could substantiate your point.

Choose the second, user.

That gays are no different from straights.
Midnighter is as far from a straight as you can get.