What's the earliest example of a mary sue in cartoons?

What's the earliest example of a mary sue in cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YSmuE7Us9hk
youtube.com/watch?v=su8IHV0AH2o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Popeye or Micky Mouse

Bugs Bunny

Micky Mouse, maybe. Popeye had to Dues-Ex-Spinach his way out of everything. He got trounced otherwise. Heck, he got trounced a few times even WITH the spinach.

there were episodes where Arnold got screwed over, how is he a mary sue?

Arnold has virtually no flaws.

At least he is not loved by everyone. He deals with shit, so he's sympathetic.

>no flaws
So that thing on his shoulders doesn't count as a flaw?
Arnold isn't a mary sue, he's close to one but not quite

This clip says it all. Never forget: youtube.com/watch?v=YSmuE7Us9hk

Thing on his shoulders? You mean his collar?

I really hated how he went from chill, quirky dreamer to fucking Jiminy Cricket. Like any personality Arnold had was just evaporated into thin air.

>not loved by everyone

youtube.com/watch?v=su8IHV0AH2o

That tortoise guy always outsmarts Bugs though.

He got shit on all the time. He was just a chill motherfucker who was willing to listen to people, and wanted to help. It didn't always work out and he fucked up sometimes too. He was just more laid back then most of the other kids.
He also kept going after Lila when she rejected his feelings multiple times. Earlier episodes had him much more gullible too and he's acted out of revenge in at least two episodes like in Girl Trouble.

The last two seasons had Arnold take a back seat from what I remember. A lot less Gerald too from what I remember.

>jerkass
>tearjerker

man

Bugs isn't a Mary Sue strictly speaking. He got outwitted by Cecil Tortoise a few times, but also keep in mind, other than a few of the fat-Elmer shorts, Bugs isn't an instegator. He's a smart ass who constantly goes up against ass-*holes * that start shit or attack/try to eat him.

The Warner Brothers (and Sister) OTOH are more Mary-Sue ish as they don't have the same compunctions about waiting to be shot at first. They would constantly start trouble and outwit/out-annoying their targets to get what they want, which is far worse than Bugs basically defending himself in 90% of his outings.

Bugs's failure to Cecil is a reference to the tortoise & the hare.

I just realized the connection.

I need to rewatch those troper tales videos again

I was never crazy about the Warners and you just nailed the reason why. They're the exact kind of instigating assholes that Bugs would defend himself from.

Tearjerker dates back to the early 20th century though. I'm pretty sure there's at least one reference to "an old fashioned tearjerker" in Looney Tunes shorts.

Didn't he just turn into everybody's conscience in the later seasons?

>Didn't he just turn into everybody's conscience in the later seasons?

Pretty much. There's an episode later on where he gets criticised for butting his head into everyone else's situations so he swears off helping for once. Instead they all turn to Helga for advice and everything goes to hell.

Those are something else. Whenever I watch them, I feel like I'm delving into the mind of a future school shooter.

>how is he a mary sue?
the same way almost every character that get called a Mary Sue here is, "OP doesn't like them"

Popeye always got his ass kicked in the beginning though and resorted to Spinach to overpower Pluto.

Mickey Mouse is closer.