Biology PhD AMA Third Edition

This is my third AMA on Sup Forums. The last two were pretty popular, so I though I would try another one.

AMA about Biology and how it relates to politics. AMA really it doesn't matter.

In a bio lecture rn senpai. Should I listen to him?

Checked

What's it on

Why aren't niggers classified as a different subspecies despite having a pretty relevant genetic distance?

Alright, is it possible for someone to create a super-bacteria in on their own.

I have seen it done in a college research video in a controlled environment, the bacteria was able to resist 1million times the amount of anit-biotics than it would normally when not force to evolve that way.

How would this be stopped?
Why hasn't it been done?

I teach a 5-hr biology class with lab for the local community college.

What is a current topic in research I probably haven't ran into yet that would be reasonable to insert into a bio class being taught functionally at the high school level?

Punnett square genetics

>Biology PhD AMA

I WILL CHALLENGE YOU ONCE AGAIN TO POST A SCREENCAP WITH TIMESTAMP NEXT TO YOUR DIPLOMAS.

BLACK YOUR NAME OUT SO YOU DONT DOX YOURSELF.

IF YOU REFUSE TO DO THIS YOUR THREAD IS BULLSHIT

INB4 you REFUSE to do this simple thing AGAIN

Species and subspecies distinctions are very contreversial due to a huge demarcation problem.

Species realism has been fading in popularity among biologists
Having said that Humans are among one of the least diverse species genetically. The average forest of chimpanzees usually has more genetic variability than the entire human population.

>Alright, is it possible for someone to create a super-bacteria in on their own.

Sure if they are a multi-millionare.

How many genders are there, and how do you live being such a transmisogynist?

I don't know your level of expertise. The topics that would be relevant and interesting to a community college class would most likely be topics you have heard about.

Checked Again
You should. This is pretty easy bio.

Checked.

I won't do it. If you don't believe me so be it. It doesn't really matter to me. You know how hard it is to get tenure. Shieeeet. If anyone found out I post on Sup Forums I would never get it.

So... it's completely possible?

Especially for say, a certain three letter agency with highly dubious and secretive motives??

How much progress do you think tissue engineering will make in the next 3-5 years?

Do you think we'll be able to engineer internal and reproductive organs, as well as skin by then?

I got reading about collagen scaffolds for organ engineering and it's really captured my attention. I'd like to get into that field when I post doc.

Sex: 2. Although kleinfelters and shit like that blurs it sometimes

Gender: This is a sociological/psychological distinction not relevant to biology.

Totally. Although I doubt they would risk it. Viruses/Bacteria are true egalitarians. They don't discriminate just because you are the one that made them.

>How much progress do you think tissue engineering will make in the next 3-5 years?

Pretty big. I would be surprised if in 20 years we aren't yet growing functioning transplantable lab grown organs.

Can you please tell me what actual scientists, not social scientists, think of racial differences. I find it impossible to believe that race is a social construct when one can determine race from DNA and skeletal analysis.

Thanks in advance.

Do antidepressants actually work, or are they just a big scam?

I figured, but still, that's just another terrifying thought, courtesy of our lovely government.

Anyways, I didn't see the last thread, but I am curious - what do you think are some tangible advancements that the common man could experience and utilize within our lifetimes?

Biologists recognize distinction between races and of peoples, but they don't categorize them into races. The main issue being demarcation is not that simple. For example an Iberian or Italian genetically has as much in common with a levantine/North African as they do a scandinavian. The categories we use to define the races are Social constructs. Saying someone is "black" or "white" means fuck all in biology.

There are differences, but where we draw the line is completely subjective.

Eh. Most psycho-drugs are sketchy. They work for some and not for others. It's pretty much just a spray and pray methodology when it comes to them.

Genetic engineering will almost definitely be possible within the next 100 years. Artificial organs and limbs within the next 50. Brain computer interfaces as well. All things that will cause us to redefine what makes one human and what it means to be normal.

That seems so off though. If you pick two chimpanzees at random out of a geographic area of a few square miles their common ancestor would probably be within a few generations, and almost certainly within a thousand years. In order to find a common ancestor between myself and a sub Saharan African you have to go back at least 40,000 if not 100,000 years.

Are chips and bonobos really more genetically distant from each other than a European and an Australian abo? The differentiation of features is much more apparent between the humans than the two different kinds of chimps. Though there are large differences in behavior with the bonobos how do you quantify that? I would say there are definitely large differences in behavior between races of humans as well.

Do you think the average human lifespan will be increased soon?

As a 28 year old, will I see huge advances in medicine by the time I'm 40 or 50?

This kind of shit seems to be held back big time by over regulation.

Going off of this then, has there been to your knowledge any effort put into ethical and moral considerations for these possible breakthroughs?

It sounds like the age of transhumanism is near, and that is definitely going to shake up society. Do you have anything you are particularly excited for? And more importantly, fearful of?

Based on the little I know, I worry many of these advancements will only be available to the truly wealthy, causing actual physical differences between social classes.

Thank you btw friend - have a qt azn for your troubles.

> In order to find a common ancestor between myself and a sub Saharan African you have to go back at least 40,000 if not 100,000 years.

Yes, but you have to keep in mind that all modern humans are the genetic decendant of only about 3000 or less individuals. Almost any variatian we have is due to evolution in the past 100,000 years which biologically speaking isn't that much.

>Are chips and bonobos really more genetically distant from each other than a European and an Australian abo?

A lot more different. Chimps and bonobos have almost completely different social structures and psychology. Aboroginals and Europeans are , apart from an IQ difference and technology difference, are almost psychologically identical in behavior.

>Do you think the average human lifespan will be increased soon?

Not sure. Telemore research has proven much more difficult than previously thought.

>As a 28 year old, will I see huge advances in medicine by the time I'm 40 or 50?

Yes.

>This kind of shit seems to be held back big time by over regulation.

Not really. It's held back by money. Most biological research, the actual groundbreaking kind, is almost always done by the government and/or not for profit think tanks. Because they are highly risky and extremely expensive.

Most money in medical research today is spent by Big Pharma devoloping meaningless minute advancements.

>Going off of this then, has there been to your knowledge any effort put into ethical and moral considerations for these possible breakthroughs?

yes. All these fields are hot topics for medical ethics and philosophers.

>It sounds like the age of transhumanism is near, and that is definitely going to shake up society. Do you have anything you are particularly excited for? And more importantly, fearful of?

Excited for the possibility of genetic engineering creating truly egalitarian societies. Worried about the abuse of these technologies to create a gattaca like have and have not world. I'm also especially fearefull of AI.

>Based on the little I know, I worry many of these advancements will only be available to the truly wealthy, causing actual physical differences between social classes.

This is probably one of the biggest, if not biggest, worries of medical ethicist about these new technologies.

How viable is Crispr in our lifetime?

How many new species of animals/insects/etc are being found a year?

Why poop?

Isn't this the hardest first degree there is?

What should I study if I dream of thwarting drug-resistant diseases?

What field was your thesis on, without revealing too much?
It's shit for specificity since it will inevitably target something else in the genome, but we're already using it on all sorts of animals for research. The key is that you have to do it on a whole bunch of embryos and pick the ones that worked, which is unethical in humans but fine in mice or whatever

Is anything that pol says correct regarding biological differences between races?

On the continuum of theoretical (math) to applied (gender studies kek) the line is drawn right in the middle of taxonomists, who are 100% fagets. Left of that everyone recognizes that you can draw blood and identify race without looking at anything regarding skin colour, to the right you get muh social constructs.

Araki did a cover for this magazine once

Why do people still claim blacks are humans when they have no neanderthal DNA like ALL humans ?

What's your opinion on Aubrey de Grey and his life extension research?