Fang is not a weasel. Hes is a wolf/jerboa hybrid

>Fang is not a weasel. Hes is a wolf/jerboa hybrid.
>Bean is not a duck. He is a woodpecker.

If they kept it the same in America would it made any difference on how they were perceived in the comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zzz0wpGHBvM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are we still allowed to call him Nack or was that purged with the rest of the English localization names by Sega Japan?

>Are we still allowed to call him Nack or was that purged with the rest of the English localization names by Sega Japan?

What do they call him in Sonic Mania? Fang or Nack?

They were unnamed.

I though Bean was a Flicky
I thought that was the whole joke

In Generations it's both still.

Hey so now that Mania BTFO'd most of Sega's recent games (and probably will BTFO Forces) does this mean they can start using that classic stuff again?

Please?

I'd kill for more Nack/Fang, Bean and Bark. Nack especially though.

>Flicky joke

Explain?

No. It just means you might occasionally get a shitty fanbase prequel to a shittier 3d game like this

They did a thing where they combined the English and Japanese names, like what they did with Eggman/Robotnik.

The only real piece of Western localization that was truly retconned was "Mobius". Everything else, like the name Robotnik and Nack, are still canon.

Should have guessed not even this was immune from Sup Forums's need to be contrarian

Carry on, then.

Which was the better retro sequel to S3&K?

Sonic 4 or Sonic Mania? Sega probably wants you to say Sonic 4, because that's the one they actually made themselves.

Sonic 4 was pure ass, dude.

It's pretty sad that Sega Japan has to outsource their Sonic games to American nobodies just to get a good one made.

>Sonic 4: literall ass with beyond outdated 2.5D tech that was broken up to episodes for MAXIMUM profit, which ended up backfiring because no one cared for it after the second part came out that all used the same generic level themes

>Or the official fan project with three playable characters allowing for multiple runs and chock-full of both nostalgic and new and interesting level themes

Hmmm.....

>Bean the Flicky
>Flick the Bean

I hope IDW can use them.

Yeah no. I don't think they would ride off on a masturbation joke.

Bean is based on the star of the arcade game Dynamite Dux.

So yeah.

I don't think Bean was ever meant to be taken seriously in the future when they made him first time around.

But the Official Fighters Megamix guide someone recently translated-
>A woodpecker who appeared in the 1996 arcade game "Sonic the Fighters." He loves sports, and is particularly good at soccer. His special techniques are his spinning uppercut and bomb attack. His blue 2P color is BIN, the main character of the 1988 arcade game "Dynamite Dux", though Bean is his son.

>a woodpecker's father is a duck

Sure, why not. No weirder than Opa Opa having a father.

Adoption is an option. Besides, Nack's parent's is a wolf and a freaking rodent. Him being probably the only hybrid in the series is weirder.

I thought Bean was a dynamite.

Seconded..

Sally was a chipmunk/squirrel

I thought she's a ground squirrel.

That Sally is a comic thing. I'm talking about the Sega Sonic world.

Considering their species are just names and don't affect how they're drawn or written? No.

Sonic 4 was total fucking garbage. Sonic Mania might as well be the REAL Sonic 4.

>he doesn't know real hedgehogs love chili dogs

Sega blew it naming that game Sonic 4. They knew it would sell more copies if they did, and they damaged the fucking brand yet again in order to generate some short-term profits.

Now any game named "Sonic 5" will be met with scorn, and they can't just pretend "4" never happened either.

I thought Bean was a dynamite.

Sonic Advanced is the real Sonic 4, just like the previous game it builds on the older games and even has 1 more character just like the number installment they're on.
Sonic Mania might as well be Sonic 5 or a Sonic reboot.

>they can't just pretend "4" never happened either
They sort of already have. Mania leads off from S3&K, which was where 4 was supposed to continue from.

I meant more like "Now they can never name a real game Sonic 4." Which is why a subtitle like "Mania" is even required.

Jesus Christ. Alright, someone tell me why Sonic 4 was so fuckin bad. I mean, I've played bad Sonic games, but what made this one so shitty compared to the others. Usually even the "bad" 2D Sonic games aren't unplayable trash like the 3D ones.

Terrible, TERRIBLE physics, ideas borrowed from 3D Sonic that just don't work so great (why do you need a homing attack in a 2D plane?), bland levels, pseudo "retro" music that doesn't sound like real retro instruments... it comes off as really half assed, etc. Take your pick.

Oh yeah, bad spritework, that's a big one.

fmk

youtube.com/watch?v=Zzz0wpGHBvM

Look at this, then back at Mania. Then weep knowing fans can make a better retro throwback than the company that birthed the damn franchise.

Classic Sonic in Generations (and I assume Forces) is alright. At least its better than 4

SEGA didn't even make Sonic 4, they slapped the name on a phone game that Dimps was making and stirred up a marketing blitz over "the return of classic sonic." Look up "Sonic the Portable."

>ideas borrowed from 3D Sonic that just don't work so great (why do you need a homing attack in a 2D plane?),

The Advanced games had that shit, too.

I could be completely wrong because it's been ages, but didn't the GBA games just shoot you forward like an air dash? I don't remember it feeling so weird as it did in 4, where it just grips your character from any angle and you shoot in a weird direction.

Imagine if they were playable someday

>Nack bounce on his tail like Scrooge
>Bean being a manic bomber like Bomb Kirby
>Bark...
I don't know, a more brutish Knuckles?

I don't know if you're kidding, but no. Bean is based off another video game protagonist. He's not a Flicky at all.

Fuck Bark, Marry Nack, Kill Bean (only because you're forcing me too)

True route: three-way gangbang

Sure, it's not a complete dumpster fire. But it still was an average to bad disappointment, made episodic for no reason, with poor design choiced, iptimization problems, and was discontinued without an ending.

While it's not unplayable, it is onebof the worst 2D Sonic games and damaged the brand by bearing a numbered title, which both attracted more attention to it and ruined a track record of 3 actually good games.

The only thing advanced games had was the boost meter and rails to grind on which was just a way to add different routes if you wanted.

Am I forgetting anything?

I just wish Sega would use them more. They serve as good enforcers and stage villains that fit the games styles without needing Robotnik every level. Mania just made me want them ever more.

Too many of Sonic's rivals turn into friends. It's just good to have someone who is pretty unrepentant

Sega has a stick up its butt about fun things. Don't get your hopes up.

Still seeing them of all characters show up in Mania sure was surprising.

>I don't think they would ride off on a masturbation joke.

You're just not doing it right

Too much reused content for it to be a true Sonic 4.

Iizuka recently revealed that there are multiple worlds in the Sonic universe: Classic Sonic world, Modern Sonic world, and human world. This at first seemed like total nonsese or a bad translation, but given what appears to be going on in Mania and Forces it seems to actually be game canon.
Anyways, in that interview Iizuka said Mighty was still around in Classic world. That means (I assume) Nack, Bark, Bean, Ray, and other forgotten characters of the pre-Adventure games are stuck there. That means we might see them in a Mania sequel, or if Sonic Team decides to do more with Classic characters themselves.

>Modern Sonic world, and human world.

I haven't played any Sonic games since SA but this feels unnecessary to split.

I forget where I left off in the comic but I think it was around the Unleashed plot. As in using the super airship to rescue people or something.

Has it gone back to when it was at its finest? I really loved the darker art style while not being too grimmdark. Tone wise it was perfect to match with Adventure 2. Then someone upped the contrast and added thrice the hue. The action was always there but it came off as like watching a bunch of fireworks go off at once but all the time while when Scourge appearing-pic related (maybe a bit further I forget) there was a stronger focus on the characters and personalities.

>it was around the Unleashed plot.

did that ever get resolved?

I dont know but I do remember being actually happy that the general story and effects on the people of the world was expanded on vs the game. Also I dont want to rip Chip's throat out. Sonic dealing with the problem was also expanded on. But my memory draws a blank after a certain point.

last I read was when they covered The Fighters which was an absolute hoot

for fucks sake, its ADVANCE not ADVANCED. It was on the GBA hence ADVANCE.

Nobody cares, GBA fag.

I'd forgotten how small and cramped those stages are, everything is like 2 seconds away and you're constantly bouncing off something, be it a booster or a spring. Fuck that is some goddawful stage design.

I mean yeah obviously the graphics were garbage, the physics were shitty and the music was a joke, but if the stage design was better it could have been merely mediocre instead of thoroughly unmemorable.

fuck off you willfully ignorant prick I'm trying to discuss videogame hedgehog lore here.

I remember that ep 2 was...."better" but took ages to come out and was still far from ideal

>weasels are rodents
No, they're mustelids, just like ferrets, otters and wolverines. They eat actual rodents like squirrels, mice and hedgehogs.

I'm talking about the jerboa. Fang is half wolf and jerboa rodent.

>Bean the woodpecker

He's got a fast pecking attack in Sonic Fighters. This makes a lot of sense.

It is, especially after Unleashed made the humans more cartoony. I thought the simplistic anime styled humans from Adventure 1 were fine, but after that they do get kind of weird till Unleashed. All of the games since Unleashed have dropped humans that aren't Eggman, all because people bitched so much about the presence of humans and characters that aren't Sonic, Tails, and Eggman.

>all because people bitched so much about the presence of humans and characters that aren't Sonic, Tails, and Eggman.

The Sonic and Transformers fandom got so much in common. IDW was certainly the right choice.

Well Transformers has only ever had like one or two good human characters ever, while all of Unleashed's NPCs were pretty likable and had unique designs and story arcs.

OH GOD WHY!

Penders. That's why.

They will, the IDW comic will be focused on game characters since Sega is going to be more involved to prevent another Penders debacle

Yes, they did manage to finish the Unleashed story before cancellation. By a short margin tho. The cancellation happened right after in the middle of a small arc of flashbacks involving old Sonic games (to celebrate the anniversary) We got Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and CD before cancelled, all we missed was 3&K.

At least the comic went kaput with that storyline wrapped up at least. Meanwhile Sonic Megadrive got stuck with a cliffhanger right before the finale.

>remastered Taxman Sonic games stop before 3&K
>comics canned before 3&K adaption
Pottery

Hedgehogs aren't rodents, even if Eggman's frequently calling Sonic that. Hedgehogs don't have the sort of teeth/skull that rodents have.

Sonic is a rat anyway.

needle mouse

Needlerat

>before cancellation
Oh, well that's a shame. I don't even think Scourge got a proper conclusion or Silver's story.

How do we delet Penders?

Officially, she was. Now she's whatever people want her to be because she no longer exists in any canon.

Wait till he's dead, after that no one will argue about using his stuff.

First user here: I am actually still working on that story - I've managed to tone down most of Donot's sueish nature, and I think I've even figured out what species he is!
>that pic
I feel like I should know what song that's referencing...

To be fair, Dimps were the people who made 4. SEGA just slapped the name on it, when it was just gonna be a mobile title.