Do cosplayers read the source material?

Do cosplayers read the source material?

Some do. Some don't. I don't care if someone only knows the movie or tv show but it's insulting if they know nothing.

fpbp

most of the ones you will post are just models who wear what the sponsor paid for, in a studio.
the whole fandom has been vored by the modeling industry. And prostitutes.

Guys? Sure.

Most women are just doing it for the attention though and know nothing of the character beyond skimming their Wikipedia article or seeing them in a movie.

Why bother doing that? The itself movie clearly doesn't give a shit, why not just wait and watch the damn thing?

>being this normie

Are you sure you're on the right site?

What do you mean? She doesn't have any iconic costume.

I'm talking about her perspective, you dingdong. Why should a normie bother with getting to a know a character while ramping up to a movie that will a) Not give a shit about portraying that character like the comics established it and b) Replace what came before in the public perception of the character?

Hope not, no one should have to read Bendis.

A lot sure, but I wouldn't say most.

>Cosplaying for Halloween.
This always bugs me. They're different events with different athletics, don't cross them.

The ones with good costumes and body usually don't.
Especially for popular comic characters. For shows, they usually watched at least some. But comics are like one giant pussy-repellant paywall, so people who like costume design and modelling mostly don't know much about that. A status they share with most authors.

I had a friend who did this. She came back a week later with a "why the fuck did they do that to her character" perspective.

So much this. She'll be sorely disappointed with the changes.

Whos she cosplaying as?

Jessica Jones.

But cosplaying is a strong word, she just wore some regular clothes that somewhat resemble the regular clothes Jessica wears, put on a wig and held a bottle of booze.

Netflix Jessica Jones.

Depends on why they're cosplaying. If they're doing it because they like cosplay and the aesthetics of the costume then they probably won't have read much nor does it actually matter as their interest is in the design and the costume, not the character.

But they've done nothing to her personality or motivations that we know of. They just changed her race...

I love how every Jess cosplay needs a complimentary bottle of booze

Seething

Not usually, a lot of cosplayers are models or people looking for attention

I know someone who went to megacon and performed as a character from pochi no daisuki, which they thought was a cute anime their boyfriend likes

It's an eroge

>reading comics

Statistically speaking, nobody does this.

If you make an elaborate costume for a convention you'd likely use it for Halloween.
I mean really if I spent $100-200 putting together an outfit I ain't gonna be a bedsheet ghost for Halloween.

Then we got a whole board full of nobodies.

>y.y.you don't read either!
My side

As a cosplayer myself i know a lot of cosplayers in my city and let me tell you not fucking anyone reads comics. If its a super hero cosplay its only well known characters and mostly movie/tv series versions.

I see a lot on their social media asking for suggestions and thats how they deside who to cosplay. I saw one time for a couple of twins asking for a recomendation on who to cosplay and some one said Harley and Poison Ivy. Their responce was that Ivy was not a well known character and the one cosplaying as Harley would upstage the other.

But if its an anime character im guessing its the anime in vogue at the moment they cosplay.

But what if you're really bad at using scissors and went through $100-200 worth of bedsheets?

>implying that even on Sup Forums people who read comics are in the majority....

kek

Why couldn't you leave me with the dream, user.

She looks like a bargain bin knockoff toy version of Jessica. Or like someone used the skew tool on her head and stretched it up.

with anime/manga they always go "haven't read/watched it yet to cosplay X or Y character"
with comics is like fuck that or let me check the wikias and charactermodel first

She's wearing a wig which is why her head looks so weird.

I've Cosplayed as:
>Punisher
>Cable
>Solid Snake
>Chris Redfield
I want to do a BVS Batman suit, I just love how that shit looks.

>tfw black have limited options
>I'm forever doomed to shitty legacy characters, Black Panther or Static

>Cosplaying as Punisher

That's the easiest costume possible, just go to hot topic and buy a skull t-shirt, boom you're the Punisher now.

Makes sense. Anime/manga doesn't have decades of miscellaneous continuity and constant reboots. It's a little difficult for normies to get the meat and bones of what they should know about the character

Here are some options, depending on your hairstyle:

Superheroes
>Black Panther
>Blue Marvel
>Cyborg
>Blade
>Blue Power Ranger
>Static
>Bishop

Vidya
>Lucio
>Dude from FF13
>Demoman
>Eddie Gordo
>A black assassin from AC

Anime
>Usopp
>Aokiji
>Joco from Shaman King
>Uub (he's not black, but you might pull it off regardless)
>Afro Samurai

I dunno, user. It's cosplay, there's no shortage of people cosplaying outside their race

I imagine if someone is cosplaying as the Punisher they might try to do the actual character not the abortion in a t-shirt and school-shooter coat.