JSA Storytime: Omega the Unknown

Good evening owls,

We just Omega now?

you know how I said yesterday we might be late?

it's errand time, will try to be back within an hour, please discuss Marvel solicits or whatever among yourselves

At this point I don't really read the Marvel solicits. I just skim the creative teams and feel nothing.

Hello, Storyteller.

Actually, there was one solicit from yesterday that I might be interested in. I kinda like the idea of Dinah and Lobo hanging out. Seems like a decent set up for some vitriolic buddy antics.

Marvel now has Brisson and Cates as exclusive, but nothing interesting in their solicits.

Fucking checked
>I just skim the creative teams and feel nothing.
This. Only thing I might even give a try is Bemis on MK

Marvel solicits were worse than the DC ones.

At least DC's were just mostly boring. Marvel's were fucking painful.

Also Image's solicits were funny in that Hickman was nowhere to be found.

>I just skim the creative teams and feel nothing
Same for both companies

Only saw two things I want to check out. The Kamandi omnibus and Simonson's Kamandi Challenge issue.

I'm just interested in Burrows on Moon Knight.

I've gained a sudden interest in Marvel for the first time in five years. I've been reading this book on Marvel's behind the scenes history and it's got me nostalgic for their characters.

Any tips on what I may have missed in that time? I started catching up on Spencer's Cap, Duggan's Deadpool, and I'm gonna start going through all of Ewing's stuff courtesy of that one user who's storytiming it all.

Warning: I don't care about the X-Men and I definitely don't care about the Inhumans.

Check out Thunderbolts. The original by Busiek, the other run by Busiek, Parker, and Ellis are the generally go to material.

I don't read a lot of Marvel but I enjoyed Superior Foes of Spider-Man

>Also Image's solicits were funny in that Hickman was nowhere to be found.
Nick Spencer is only part of that Not Brand Echh one-shot for Marvel in November. This is two months now where he is mostly MIA.

Nothing was really appealing to me in the Image solicitations. I did read two issues of that new Simone book, and the art is really rough.

same

Moon Knight sounds kinda cool but I don't need to scroll through 70 boring solicits to see that

Check out Fury:My War Gone By

Seth Loveness's Nova was a really good recent book

>Any tips on what I may have missed in that time?
Not much.
Looks like stills from a fucking Telltale game.

Since 2012? So basically from Marvel NOW! (as opposed to Marvel Nower and Marvel Nowerer)?

Have you read any of it? Jason Aaron's Thor: God Of Thunder is good before Aaron goes bad on Thor, Kathryn Immonen's Journey into Mystery is great. Hickman's Avengers is the Big Deal Plotline. Gillen and McKelvie on Young Avengers, Spencer/Lieber on Superior Foes of Spider-Man. ANGR, All-New Ghost Rider, it's only a few issues but Tradd Moore art. Warren Ellis' Moon Knight.

If you stick with Ewing's books I think you'll find mostly stuff you'll enjoy.

Just checked Image's solicits and it's apparently going to be three Orson issues in a row for Stray Bullets now.

And hell I love the Wild Man, but Lapham needs to wrap this up.

Yeah I like the story so far but I'm not a fan of Staggs "art"

Iron Fist: The Living Weapon :^)

Well, I read all those, here in this thread. I'm more talking about stuff that's come out since I quit buying them.

That's one of the big ones I heard a lot about while it was coming out.

Didn't know Ennis had been at Marvel any time recently, sounds excellent since I'm a fan of his.

Yeah, Now was where I jumped off, dropped the couple I was still pulling and started pulling mostly DC and a couple Image books.

Well, the stuff in that post is what I'd recommend. I haven't been reading much Marvel myself lately but if we skip right up to now I think the very recent Foolkiller and Nova miniseries were great.

>idn't know Ennis had been at Marvel any time recently

He's got a new Punisher comic with Parlov ( the artist from every Barracuda story in MAX) coming soon. It's more Frank in 'Nam

>Well, I read all those, here in this thread. I'm more talking about stuff that's come out since I quit buying them.
Oh, well I got nothing then, since I don't get much into Marvel either.

I have been wanting to check out older Carol Danvers stuff though.

Is omega a jew?

Fuck, I forgot about that series.
I wonder if anybody would notice if I skipped that in my storytime.

Thor and Kid!Loki stuff sound great. Don't think I'm gonna bother with Hickvengers because of all the memeing y'all have done in this thread or I'll just read Illuminated Comics

Youngblood's first trade solicit only lists 5 issues of the six-issue first storyarc...

So, gonna start the countdown to cancellation.

They've got a bunch of stuff that's coming up but since they're not minis and they have literal who creators you just know they'll mostly get canceled and have rushed endings.
I'll check out Angelic because I like the artist and I want to like Spurrier but his recent output has been... rough.
Wasn't Lemire's new Image title supposed to start though?

I don't think so? Can't remember if religion has come up yet.

My thoughts on the solicits were that I liked the She-Hulk/Leader cover and two of the Moon Knight covers.

Please run it, I want to see you tear it apart like we did with Bendis' shit.

Not Ennis/Parlov?

I'd definitely rec the Sif Journey into Mystery, the Kathryn Immonen one, but maybe it's not for you. If you like God-Butcher Thor I would still recommend ANGR and Ellis' Moon Knight because although they're not exactly mythic they're both sort of high octane metal shit w/ good art.

He has a 4 issue mini at Dark Horse that's a spinoff from Black Hammer starting in November. Is that what you were thinking of?

I'm gonna check out the Master of Kung-Fu and the Silver Sable one shots at least.

Of course, but I meant in a sort of fascinated way, rather than hell yes I'm going to read it.

No. Something with Hester on art, a new original comic for Image. It sounded good and right in his ballpark.

I would've check Master of Kung Fu out if they didn't have a rassler writing it...

>Ellis' Moon Knight
It's a slog. And without any interesting bits to rationalise it. And the art is good but it had better when there's nothing happening.

So his nemesis is gonna be Horus, right?

I'm a long-time Thor fan that only fell off at Fraction's run, so if there's ANY decent Thor stuff, I'm on board.

I remember hearing about Moon Knight, and Ghost Rider looks interesting.

Thanks user.

It's not a slog, if anything there's too little content for the money you pay. You read through it really fast and there's nothing special aside from a few action scenes.

Why?

>It's a slog
user, I can't do this right now. It's 6 well-executed one-shots with absolutely gorgeous art (or really, coloring). I'd quite happily read that kind of series into infinity. I don't need it to be an ongoing series, I don't even need every one-shot to land.

I think that's the symbol on that cover, so yeah, could be cool

I STILL can't believe Bendis wrote an entire issue based around Cage's wedding, and Iron Fist didn't even get a cameo! That's like marrying off Blue Beetle, without a Booster Gold appearance!

read Gillen's Journey into Mystery

how can the bride not be present at the wedding?

I apologize.For some retard reason I was thinking of Lemire's run. Ellis is good.

Lemire's run was better

I still mantain that Cage is Bendis' husbando and Jessica Jones is his self-insert.

Why are we spoiler posting?

I thought this was common knowledge

>Ellis introduces the interesting idea that Khonshu is probably real and fucking with Marc's head
>NOPE HE'S JUST CRAY CRAY LMAO
Lemire's run is pretty goddamn terrible, m8.

Micheal and Ted should get married. If only because bromance is cancerous whoreshit that needs to die in a fire. It's like, gentlemen, you're both in serious denial, and it's making me uncomfortable. Just fuck already!

Why do you think that user? And are you saying Lemire is better or that being better than Ellis isn't a very high bar?

hoot hoot

>writer introduces an idea and does nothing with it
I hate that.

welcome to capeshit

Both. More the latter though.

Bendis is the king of "I have an idea and I'll talk about it respectably in an interview" turning into never getting there

Meh. Fair enough.

You know very well this isn't the case and for the most part a writer will introduce something so that HE can use it.

There's also Geoffrey Johns.

so yeah those solicits mostly suck

Johns has some nasty habits there but he tends to at least accomplish *something* tangible before he leaves

I'd love to hear about the original plans for his JL and JLA that clearly got rewritten on the fly

;___________;

Trade fuckery is happening to Youngblood again and that is never a good sign.

Too bad, I was enjoying this relaunch

>Krypto vs Dex-Starr NEVER EVER

Oh come on, Vibe, Grail, Wondy's brother, Rise of The Seven Seas, Sivana/Mr. Mind... and these are all only in the last few years in which he's barely written any comics.

You mean like giving the power of Brainiac to THE intrepid reporter Lois Lane, and having fuck all happen as a result?

Yes I am still bitter about that, dammit! I'm telling you, Brainiac News Network. You know you want it.

Read all of Aarons Thor dude, Dautermann's stuff is better than Ribics

Spinning L.E.G.I.O.N. as a totally and completely propagandic news organization could actually be a fun reboot. FAKE NEWS, yadda yadda.

I mean yes, but those are mainly plothreads in the flagship books wherein we know there's the most Mandated Content and things got tweaked the hardest

Rise of the Seven Seas makes me mad, to be fair

my favorite johns loose end is lex luthor and brainiacs baby

babies are always a mistake in comics

Ribic is super overrated. Dauterman is yet another artist DC let slip between their fingers and now they have 80% of their titles looking bland as all fuck. Anyway, I don't read Thor but I was looking though the storytime of the latest issue to look at pretty pictures and Dauterman unironically only drew 1(one) page. It wasn't even anything important that couldn't have been drawn by the guy that did the rest of the issue either.

The lack of more based Orm hits the hardest

Except for Lyrl, I love that little fucker

Possibly Omega NDJ-001.
He IS less Unknown than before. Omega the somewhat known? Omega the Recognizable?

Indeed.

I'll be an apologist and say that I think Johns mostly does it as a way to seed things in case he's still on a book later, with the idea that if it pays off it makes it feel more intentional and linked rather than just random arcs published in order.

But I guess as a reader it's still the same disappointment.

I got Mage

but I haven't read it yet

but I got it!

it was set up for a Conner Superboy foil

But what of Miracle Max?

I haven't read it either

I've been cleaning the house on my days off

>not the unwritten Boomerang/Meloni Thawne love story

>the art is really rough.

It looks like badly photoshopped pictures, if that's representative of it.

Don't be an apologist, he's set up stuff and never followed up for a decade. Dr. Alchemy from his first Flash run for example.

I'm OK with it because my favorite things in cape comics are long stories built up as C-plots over long runs.

I would rather they at least TRY to build things up instead of not bothering, but you rarely get runs that last more than a year or two these days.

Everyone sets up stuff they don't get around to or can't get around to or plans change. Sometimes people are nice enough to nip it obliquely in-text if that happens, like Robinson Starman wanting to use Hawkman and not being able to

t. Black Manta

THIS.

Shit deserved more than 9 issues.

>Moon Girl still going strong at 25

No, that's pretty well been true since Alias.

Bendis is a size queen.

who the fuck is HOLO-MAN?

>introduces the interesting idea that Khonshu is probably real

No, that seems like something that's probably been true for a long time, given that the rest of the Egyptian Gods are real.

BUSIEK LETTER!!!!

One of these days, someone is going to make Bendis choose between Kitty and Luke, and I don't know which he'd pick.