How do you make a good Superman movie?

How do you make a good Superman movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d0QVvbhMm24
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1978_film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Family movie, make it as cheesy as possible

Remember these things:
>at his core, he is Hope
>he knows all of humanity's vices, but still loves us for our virtues
>he values everyone
>he's Clark at his core, not Superman or Kal-El
>Clark is something of a dweeb
>the Clark he presents in public amps up the dweebiness in order to work as a disguise
>he really is a good boy who loves his momma
>his folks raised him right, teaching him to fight for what's good in this world

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

Superman and the Legion of Superheroes.

Throw so much shit at the wall that something has to stick.

Let him talk.
Let him talk, and connect to people in small ways.

Adapt Superman vs the Elite

base it off For All Seasons
done

Adapt the Fleischer cartoon.

Just don't do what Snyder did.
It says a lot that people are more willing to accept a Soviet communist dictator Superman than they are Snyder's version. That's how badly he fucked up.

Get an actor who can pull off this scene and have the audience completely understand Lois's reaction:
youtube.com/watch?v=d0QVvbhMm24

He is a God who TALKS with people in their own level

How hard is this?

Get someone that actually understands the character to write and/or direct it and stop giving it to hacks that think he's lame or boring and needs to be "updated" to be made interesting. I nominate Max Landis.

Why would you nominate another hack

whut if leik it was a superman movie from the perspective of a regular person in metopolis and you only see like glimpses of him flying by and newspaper headlines and stuff and you can fill in the blanks iwth imagination and jjabrums will diect :^)

You don't, you realize how poor of a character he is and you decide to make a Batman movie instead

t. batfag

Have Brainiac.

Superman is literally one step away from being a Mary Sue, he's too one-dimensional. Batman may be an edgelord, but I'd rather have that.

The stories are about him overcoming the obstacles, not being compromised by them. He may experience heroic frustrations, like Luthor refusing to turn to good, or the endless crime, or overwhelming odds, or the lack of love-life because of his superhero career (in a sense he still has "real" relateable frustrations/drama), but not the over-wrought tortured "dark and gritty" kind that spiritually breaks him, such as Batman stories might feature. If you just meant the former, then sure.

Clark Kent is the one who has to deal with those Ordinary Man frustrations, because he's our vehicle into the fantasy. That's where the frustration and catharsis come from.

Otherwise - if your life is absurdly sheltered, and realistic unpleasant consequences and sacrifice are “fantasy” for you, then go read those stories where they already exist, instead of trying to make Superman fit a mould he wasn’t made for and doesn’t work in, and defeats the purpose of him.

I'm tired of this "relatable" trend with comics. Seriously its a damn fictional characters who can fly they don't need to be relatable thats just a piss poor excuse to justify a character. Sorry if your life has been crap but not everyone has to relate to a character to like them for inspiration or hope.

This is why we get crappy waste of space movies like ant man and doc strange

Superman as a story works better as a love story, than a straight up action story. That is why Lois and Clark worked as a TV show, as did Superman 1 and 2.

The romance romance between Lois and Clark is the heart of the Superman mythos because it is the main source of conflict in the superman/Clark character. Gaining her affection while keeping his identity secet from Lois is the main obstacle Clark has to overcome. Clark seems to Lois to be this ineffectual, impotent, niave, coward from the country, while she is in love with his alter-ego the dashing hero Superman who seems to be everything Clark is not. That is how Superman/Clark becomes relatable. It´s through Lois, bc everyone can relate to not getting the girl or boy we want and all of us can relate to the idea of being Clark and the wish fulfillment of wanting to be something greater underneath our typically unheroic selves. Clark Kent is supposed to be the relatable character. Superman was never meant to be relatable. He is the wish fulfillment aspect of the story. A fantasy character we all wish to be. That is why Superman is so archetypal as a Superhero. Zack and seemingly the whole of the team behind the DC movies don´t seem to get that, otherwise they would have never let Lois figure out Superman´s identity so easily and even before he was introduced to her as the mild-mannered reporter. The whole heart of the Superman story was ripped out in Man Of Steel bc it focused too much on action and a villain who was not ultimately that much of a threat to the hero. Furthermore, it didn´t even a establish that Superman had a true overwhelming affection for humanity, so as everyone was dying you didn´t feel that this was particuarly an obstacle or conflict Superman was facing. Ultimately MOS failed on those two grounds. It did not understand the heart of the story it was trying to tell.

someone [prob luthor or mongul] puts a bounty on Superman's head, all, or most of his villains come after him. first hes blasted by red sun rays, greatly reducing his powers, allowing most villains like Hellgrimite and silver banshee to take him head on. Supes has to use more than just strength to defeat the villains.

smoking aces, but with capes

Do a story where baby Kal-El, instead of Kakarot, lands on Mt. Paozu for Son Gohan to find.

t. batfag

You don't use Lex Luthor or Zod, I'm tired of them in liveaction movies.

Who do we use?

Wonder Woman and Captain America proved audiences like heroes that are good-hearted people that want to do the right thing. Not every hero has to be an irreverent quipster or a brooding loner.

Have Supes fucking smile. he likes flying, he likes helping people. Have him say "This looks like a job for Superman!" and run into the last phone booth in Metropolis. And stop making him frown all the damn time and give it some color for fuck's sake.

Brainiac
Metallo
Parasite
Mongul
Intergang

Toyman, working with Intergang. Milk intergang for another two movies with different "muscle," like Metallo and Parasite, then bring in the usual Apokilips stuff as a teaser for Justice League.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1978_film)

that ending was retarded

Basically myth Thor? Only with less alcohol.

Because it was supposed to be the middle.

Zach Snyder made one with Man of Steel. Deal with it.

The words of the Stormblessed work for both Kal's I guess.

Aon Rao just can't be a coincidence either.

He is human.
He is a good man.
He seems dated in some ways. He always has. It's not because we're past the 30's. It's because he's Clark, the dork.
Nightmare mode: Make the villain a thing he can't punch, but a thing he has to help.

Only gays like that movie. You don't want to be gay, right?

I'm so gay I like women.

1. What is wrong with you? Like... are you okay there buddy?
2. That sounds like an issue out of Astro City. Bad idea for a film, but a good story is in there.

>He is human.
This can't be emphasised enough. One of the biggest elements of Superman is that he considers himself an Earthling. That no matter where his DNA came from, his parents are the Kents.

Trying to make Clark an Alien, and have him believe he is an alien, stops him from being a MAN. Being a man is a part of his name, he isn't suppose to be Martial Manhunter.

What challenges do you face as a lesbian?

Just regular criminals and enemies.

I've had this idea for the opening of a Superman movie, which opens on the daily planet. It's typical busy news cycle scene, with Lois, Perry, and Jimmy running around. The sequence focuses on the daily planet crew, to introduce us to their personalities etc. The scene is set up so that you expect Clark Kent to show up since it's a Superman movie, but he doesn't. Suddenly a giant robot or lizard or metallo or something attacks the city. Lois and Jimmy run off to cover it, and people are scrambling around the office. The camera doesn't follow any of them, but finally focuses on Clark, who has been in pretty much every scene so far, except he's always been in the background, or off to the side. The camera finally centers on him. He slides away into the janitors closet, and does the shirt pull apart, and goes off to fight the monster.

I just like the idea of a scene where mild mannered Clark Kent is there the whole time, and we just never notice him because, well, he's mild mannered and does the stand out.

The ways Man of Steel switched the rolls Jor-El and Jonathan played in his outlook on the world ruined the very foundations of his character. The movie was an utterly appalling case of not getting it.

>Superman
>created in one of America's darkest eras
What the fuck?

I like that.

That's a good idea. Could be a good intro.

He was created during the Great Depression, shortly before Steve. Did you not know that?

Sounds good.

For some reason I was thinking he was created in 1928.

I finished All-Star Superman not a long time ago and it made me wonder. Why people complain about Jesus analogies in Snyder's movies when in All-Star he basically depicted as a godly being?

Any Superman essential readings btw? I've only read All-Star and two Moore's comics and want to get more into his character.

>I finished All-Star Superman not a long time ago and it made me wonder. Why people complain about Jesus analogies in Snyder's movies when in All-Star he basically depicted as a godly being?
Because Snyder Superman didn't imitate the popular child-friendly version of Jesus, but instead imitate superficial bibical details like being a jobless hobo for 30 years and learned nothing good from his Earth parents.

The biggest thing is The major thing is Joseph was worthless as a father to Jesus in the Bible. A mere mortal can't teach the son of god, morality. So to make Clark more like Jesus, Snyder made Pa Kent incapable of raising his son properly, and make the Krypton dad more important. Thus Clark became an alien who doesn't think of himself as a man, just like Jesus.

Man of Steel.
Arguably BvS as well.

>Man of Steel.
lol
>Arguably BvS as well.
LOL

Action Comics #1
(cover date June 1938 / release date May 1938)

In January 1933, Cleveland high school student.Jerry Siegel wrote a short story, illustrated by his friend and classmate Joe Shuster, titled "The Reign of the Superman",