Shelf/ recent purchases and hauls thread

Post your shelves, recent purchases/hauls, news about buying comics and any upcoming stuff.

Don't know where to buy? Try these:
amazon.com/
instocktrades.com/
cheapgraphicnovels.com/
[your local comic shop here]

Are you Euro or UK and don't know where you buy? Try these:
cheap-comics.com (EU)
booksetc.com (EU)
speedyhen.com (UK, hefty fees if delivery adress outside of UK)
bookdepository.com (free worldwide shipping but known to manhandle books)

New list of things out next week:
comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/next-week

Other urls found in this thread:

chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/sale/deals-of-the-week/books/teen-manga-graphic-novel-offer/
dccomics.com/graphic-novels/jack-kirby’s-fourth-world-omnibus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OP here, I'll start. These arrivied in the mail yesterday.

Nothing new

I haven't bought anything new in a while. I might just head to Manhattan next week and check out Strand just to fix that and buy anything.

Canadian, we actually have a slight sale!

chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/sale/deals-of-the-week/books/teen-manga-graphic-novel-offer/

Buy one, get another half-off. Yay....

make it booksetc.co.uk next time

My copy of Watchmen came in on Monday, which was quite convenient as my internet got knocked out by some idiots from the phone company.

It's wednesday, let's see if this survives.

>At least 15000 parcels are stuck at a sorting terminal outside of my city
At least I know where my books are

Lucifer and Morrison Doom Patrol Hell Yeah!

>Lucifer
>Doom Patrol
>The Flinstones

my man

it should, this is the worst non-5th week Wednesday in months
anywhooooo whats some secret good stuff that has come out recently? any other recs? these threads are how I found out about a bunch of good stuff but looking at shelves is somewhat overwhelming and mundane to me. thinking of getting The Wendy Project, My Favorite Thing is Monsters, and Josephine Baker graphic novel but haven't heard much actual criticism about any of them

lots of stuff you don't see here every day. all that vertigo, sgt. rock, Amethyst, A BROKEN BOOSTER GOLD SHOWCASE

Aside from like three DC books I'm basically only following Dragon Age: Knight's Errant at the moment. Which is ok as long as you are interested in Dragon Age but doesn't work as a stand alone at all.

OP where did you get the shelves from?

Just came in yesterday
More coming on fedex later
Where is my For Asgard sequel??

googled around a bit, check "volans shelf"

>volans shelf
thx user, appreciate it

damn...I just spen my load

Speaking of literal shelves, I need a new Detolf or Klingsbo soon. What are some good bookshelves I can get to replace my Target shit with at ikea? I know the BIlly and the Kallax are the standards, but any other just basic bookshelves? Anything enclosed so I could use it as both a bookshelf and a display case.

>Where is my For Asgard sequel??
You'll have to be satisfied Rodi's 'semi continuity' based books. Have you read Thor and Loki: Blood Brothers, it's just as good. He also did Astonishing Thor, which isn't quite as good but it's the story that gave us Alter Ego. And Thor going against Ego and The Collector is fun. I don't really recommend The Deviant Saga that much, but it's still pretty decent. Better than a lot of Thor books

>blood brothers
i'm gonna buy that soon

If I wanted the entire Death of Superman saga where could I buy that? Not seeing anything collecting all of it anywhere

Never mind. I'm going to buy the seperately. Found the omnibus and I'm scared it'll tear itself apart if I try to read it.
It's nice its getting the TDKR treatment for their animated movies though

>Gotham by Gaslight movie
FOR WHAT PURPOSE

Birthday next month. Can't decide if I want to try and continue a series I'll eventually get myself either way and ask for the Absolute Sandman or if I should try something new and as for either the iZombie or Rachel Rising omnibus instead since I'm not sure if I'd buy those on my own.

IKEA's FINNBY is as basic as it gets. They're good quality, will survive eternity but can only hold about 13kg/29lb, and they aren't very deep (24cm/9.4in). My Absolutes would fit exactly inside it (with about 2cm0.7in to spare), would they be any bigger, they would poke out.
If you plan to put regular books into them you'd probably have a hard time with stuff like artbooks, travelling albums etc.
Another thing about FINNBY you should know is that you should reeeeallly fix them to a wall. they may actually topple over if you put too much stuff at the tops. That problem doesn't exist with BILLY or KALLAX, they're massive enough.

BILLY are deeper (28cm/11in), absolutely no problems there and they're even more massive, practically indestructible (each shelf can carry 30kg/66lb), but a bit more pricey.
There's a cabinet-style version available that has glass doors. if you have the money, think about investing into that, they cost easily 4x as much as the regular one though and it's probably 8x as much as a FINNBY.

With KALLAX, keep in mind that they have no back wall. That makes them excellent room dividers though if you need that.

With the other IKEA choices, check the technical details of each shelf (scroll down to "product information), I don't really have any experience with them.
LIATORP, AVDALA, HEMNES, GERSBY... dunno, just check them out. If you actually visit an IKEA warehouse they should have display items there.

stick around

Anyone know the deal with that new New Gods omnibus coming in December? I was thinking of getting it but it's contents aren't clear. Some places have it listed as
>SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #133-139 and 141-148, NEW GODS #1-11, FOREVER PEOPLE #1-11, DC GRAPHIC NOVEL #4: THE HUNGER DOGS and a story from NEW GODS #6
While others say
>SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #133-139 and 141-148, THE NEW GODS #1-11, THE FOREVER PEOPLE #1-11, MISTER MIRACLE #1-18, plus later stories from NEW GODS #4 and DC GRAPHIC NOVEL #4.
So which is it? I'm assuming one of these is out of date but I can't find anything to confirm which.

All of those are pretty good, nice pick up

Looks like Shade, the Changing Girl is already on clearence. 13$ already.

I'm sorry for my lack of new shit
>Flintstones
I dig it
Lots of nice stuff here as well

Any advice on selling? I'm trying to sell a bunch of French comics (bd) in NYC. One store I went to doesn't buy them. It's a lot. Couple hundred.

Just came in the mail an hour ago.

Whoever replied to me that recommended me the Spider-Man stories I should get, thank you so much. I always enjoy coming in this thread to chat about which books I should get or look at what other people gotten. This is my first time getting an omni and can't wait to read it.

it'd actually make sense not to put the Mister Miracle stories into that because they made a separate collection for that and I'm not sure the omni can even survive a reading in its full form, I actually see it break apart from its own weight.
Really can't tell you what's what, I'm happy I own the original 4 omni version.

>cabinet-style version
Doors and extra shelves for BILLY are simply sold separately.
Can't afford doors now? Get them later.
Found doors in the bargain bin but no use for them? Get the book case later.

>planning ahead
get a load of this guy

Oh wow, I didn't know they sold doors for the Billy. That's neat.

the one with mister miracle is on edelweiss and also matches with the page count

you have to install them yourself though. you also have to install the door handles yourself (at least my brother had to do that on his wardrobe and you don't want to see how that turned out), so you better have someone handy that knows how to do that shit or it ends an eyesore.

the official solicit from DC Comics doesn't list the Mister Miracle issues though.
dccomics.com/graphic-novels/jack-kirby’s-fourth-world-omnibus

You have to hang the door yourself but the knobs and the holes for the hinges are already there.

I bought a DC HC from Amazon a while ago and today I got an email that said my purchase came with a free digital Marvel trade, which is pretty weird IMO...

Rodi is the best Thor writer

which book did you buy and has it arrived yet?

I bought Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes Vol. 1 and it has arrived but I haven't read it yet because exams are happening.

Is there anywhere else with discounts like Hamiltonbooks?

I checked and the promotion was actually attached to the order number for my pre-order of the upcoming The Legion trade. Which I haven't even paid for yet.

It's from a website that only ships in my country. But I would suggest googling "modular shelf" or something like that and maybe you'll find something similar.

Hamiltonbooks should go into the next OP.

Also Barnes & Noble has those buy-one-get-one-free promotions from time to time.

I thought I'd do something a bit different for Christmas this year. I decided to get my brother the Nedroid books and a print, and then thought to go from there. My sister would love Lackadaisy, but I'm not that close with my other brother. I know he likes Voltron and Rick and Morty, but nothing too specific.

So, any Voltron fans here? Any good art books or technical manuals or something like that I can get for my older brother? I know there's the Rick and Mort comics, but I was going to get him the art book for his birthday next month, so I don't want to drown him in Rick and Morty.

Menards was selling a similar bookcase for even cheaper prices a few months back but that might only be where I live.

Setting up book-cases for under 100 USD is getting harder and harder these days. Even second-hand shops don't have banged-up shit you can fix.

If you want just the cheapest money can buy, Walmart and Target sell 30 dollar shelves that aren't completely terrible as long as you baby them a bit

Someone near me is selling the Judge Dredd pinball machine. I wanna buy it so bad.

Doesn't look like a bad price. Do it if you have the money. I've always wanted a pinball table. Black hole is my favorite.

You can talk him down to 3500.

I've had my eye on getting the Judge Dredd one for a while now and and I totally wanna do it. but my grandma had a heart attack and I maxed my credit card taking care of her for a while so it'll have to wait.

stick around

Newest package. Officially hit 25 hardcover duck books. Still haven't cleaned up my shelf from moving.

and this came a few days ago. wanted to try something a bit different, not bad so far, a little too abstract/surreal for my taste (both story-wise and aesthetically), but not enough to turn me away, interesting read

classy purchases

Found two Transmetropolitan trades at a tiny used book store. The pile also had most of Sandman there and the Black Orchid miniseries, so I think someone had to dump their Vertigo comic selection.

Dc's solicits are always wrong

I found the first three volumes of Pluto in a used bookstore recently. I couldn't order the next ones fast enough after finishing.

Yesterday I bought Maus I at a used bookstore for $2.50.

That bank was fucking dumb, they could picked something better.

No new stuff incoming.

Going to finish off The Goon and Scott Pilgrim, and then that's probably me done until the new Hellboy/Abe Sapien stuff comes out in the Winter.

Buying them ASAP so I won't get screwed on the hardbacks like the Plague of Frogs HCs I'm still salty about.

Then - the big save up for Absolute Sandman.

guess you'll have to get a surprise package then while I just read my 4-book HC version again.

i recently got the first volume of "Invisible Republic" (used at a discount price) and a few mtg cards. not brand new out of booster packs, mind you. fuck that. wizards of the coast just wants your money.

when i'm done reading the first volume of IR, i'll see if i can get credit for a trade on the 2nd volume

>Lucifer
>Flintstones

cool, cool.

Bookshelf is an IKEA Billy, by the way. £15 for this white version (40cm wide, 106cm tall), and you can get ones that are twice as tall, twice as wide, and twice as tall and wide. White's cheapest, but all very reasonably priced.

Went for three of these to form a sideboard when I have them all set up, and the narrow width helps prevent any warping.

You can find them relatively cheap in Amazon. That's how I got them.

Бългapин лoл.

Lucifer is the shit, good buy

>he didn't finish reading the post

how do you guys read those huge fuckin omnibuses
do you lay in bed to read them or what

I lay in bed and have a pillow stacked between my chest and the omni. alternatively you can lay it in front of you on the bed and sit cross-legged or you can put it on a table/desk and sit there to read it.

I'm currently reading mine on my desk at the moment.

Kill or be Killed
Ragnarok
Black Hammer

If you're *IN* NYC, find somewhere in Quebec that might want them. its not far away. just google Montreal comic shops and call around.

and as you can see, every way is really inconvenient.. ppl in shelf threads just have them for epeen values

That's how I read everything. Biggest book I have is Deadly Class book one and it never really got in the way but maybe it's different for omnis

Just build it yourself. Book cases are the easiest thing to build

oh man, that looks fucking cool. Can you post a couple pages of that? That looks up my alley

Black Orchid is just ok but the rest, did you grab it all?
nice find too

People getting lucky this week

>Donald Duck Timeless Tales 3
Does it have up to issue 21 where the monthly series ended? The next Mickey Mouse Timeless Tales supposedly will.

Bull. A lot of areas charge excessive amounts for planks. By the time you're done sanding, staining, sealing, drilling, and assembling; it's often cheaper for something already made. Even before you consider the amount of labor put into it. In areas with a high demand for wood its really hard to find knot-free boards that won't split. Even if you're really careful with them.

We're moving into more /diy/ territory if it still exists. But not every region has the same prices or resources.

I'm planning out my own shelf (just need to go back to my parents farm for all the right tools). Going to use MDF cause that's strong and cheap. Not going to cost much at all.

Sure, if you are going to go with high grade plywood or planed hardwood it will fly up in price. But we are talking economy style here, and MDF is fine, you are painting it anyway.

Would anyone care to explain to me how The Mask Omnibus can cost $25 retail, but be $300 online?

I'm not a carpenter. I've done little else but repair or strip a couple of pieces and retreat them. Or reinforce wood with small pieces when things go hellishly wrong.

I'd just rather buy a fully made piece than risk putting things on painting fiberboard. It's not that things would go wrong, it's that I don't know they wouldn't.

Or I could spend the time making several better pieces and selling them locally to make up for the cost or make an outright profit. People really love handmade stuff.

Accidently made a dupe thread, sorry anons

Got these in the mail today, I was the user who started collecting trades this year

I bought a new shelf and have no idea how to organize it.

YOU DON'T KNOW THE DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM?

Most guys will put things they use the most in the middle or within reach, comics books etc they they don't want getting harmed or above where they don't reach into, and things they are less fond of end up on the bottom where they have to kneel or bend over to access. Book/comic/DVD shelves organize themselves with use.

ah...ah i think he might have something wrong with his MEDulla OBlongA-TAAA

Might as well join in, apologies for the light in the upper left.

Figured I'd go with a trinity thing on top.