Anya's Ghost Movie

deadline.com/2017/08/anyas-ghost-dan-mazer-patrick-ness-eone-1202154438/amp/
>EXCLUSIVE: Dan Mazer has been set to direct Anya’s Ghost, a supernatural comedy based on the graphic novel by Vera Brosgol. Entertainment One is financing; Bolt Pictures’ Jeremy Bolt is producing with Bullitt Entertainment’s Benedict Carver and eOne. Script was written by Patrick Ness, the author and screenwriter behind A Monster Calls and Chaos Walking. Production will begin before year’s end. Mazer directed Dirty Grandpa and I Give It A Year.
>The film is a coming-of-age story with a supernatural twist and dark comic overtones. Anya is a less than popular 16-year-old who gets stranded in an underground cave. There, she meets and rescues Emily, the apparent ghost of a teen who died a century earlier. While Anya thinks her new “friend” is the best thing to ever happen to her, the alliance has unforeseen consequences for Anya, her friends and her family.
>Said Bolt: “Patrick is so passionate about the source material, and his screenplay is fresh and distinctive. We love Dan’s vision to make a classic high school comedy with a supernatural twist.”

Thoughts?
I think it's a shame they're doing it live action.

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/93635300/#93654837
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>supernatural comedy
>comedy
Nigga what.

THIS AIN'T FUNNY.

I think this would work and be reasonably scary as a cartoon but in live action it's visually going to fall flat.
Only way to make the inherent silliness of CGI Emily less of a detraction is to make the movie intentionally funny I guess

With some appropriate changes it could work. Like instead of making her appear as a stereotypical ghost in CGI just do what An American Werewolf in London did and make her a human that only she can see with the occasional powers. Not very original but it's better way to go.

My dream version of this film would just have been Laiki doing it but I'm not completely put off by the idea of live action.

Not enough story in the book, period.

the plot hits enough beats but obviously the dialogue will have to be fleshed out
The question is if it'll stay accurate to the book's tone

>comedy
>IMDb shows this fucker as involved in Borat and Brüno

>his screenplay is fresh and distinctive
>a classic high school comedy with a supernatural twist

Jesus, this is gonna be such a piece of shit. I can't imagine how this might turn out to be an even marginally good movie.

Borat was a damn good satire tailor-made time it was produced, a lot of that is due to Larry Charles though
He's not the right pick for this material in any case. I'd be very surprised if the visual element of the story was given any justice

There's not enough in the book to warrant an hour screentime, so I won't be surprised if it is very different from it's source material. I'll wait until I see the commercials before I judge it

if they don't make anya and siobhan girlfriends then i don't give a shit

>MFW They make Anya a black lesbian for "diversity"

The story is fundamentally about a Russian girl who is the daughter of an immigrant
Change that and a whole lot else changes too

Let's see how they fuck this up.

I don't think they're going for the actual plot of the comic, with its dark subtones and the terror twist. I'm afraid Emily will be a edgy version of Casper at most. The "high school comedy with a supernatural twist" points towards a stupid movie with ghost shenanigans. I'd give you an example, but I can't think of an actual movie that did what I'm thinking about.

Already jumping to conclusions?

Yet another thing I liked ruined by hollywood, Yaaaay.

they better find a believably thicc russian actress to play the lead

>tfw live action means no inspired ss art with Anya and her little brother cuz cartoons are fine but 3d is eww
Why bother?

I mean I like the comic/graphic novel/whatever, but it seems way too short to make into a movie.

Also, how much you want to bet they cut out like 90% of all the "Being Russian" stuff?

Casting will be tricky certainly
Will probably have to be a newcomer because any established actress isn't going to have the right demeanor or be too conventionally "hot"

>those fapfics about possessed Anya with her brother

>it's not animated
Aww, In my ideal world, the same people who made the Persepolis animation would have been perfect for anya's ghost.

t.someone who didn't read the book

you never know. If the movie does well, it might cause a resurgence of interest in the source material

Would have preferred a TV series honestly.

>tfw no Laika adaptation
>tfw the adaptation will focus primarily on Anya's body issues b/c "teenageness" and drop her Russian roots entirely
>tfw they're gonna cast Anya as some milquetoast sticc
>tfw they're gonna try to make Anya's Ghost a Mean Girls X Casper the Unfriendly Bitch type flick
>tfw graphic novels don't get animated movie adaptations

>Live-action

I could not possibly give less of a shit about movie adaptations of comics, but glad the author will be getting a nice paycheck.

>classic high school comedy with a supernatural twist

Hopefully we get to see that plumpness accurately depicted.

>accurately depicted.

Goddamn I wish it was Laika.

Let me dream, I have little else.

Are you ready for politcorrect afro-russian-lesbo-transgender Anya, user?

I'm curious, but Anya's Ghost isn't really a comedy, so the fact that they keep mentioning that part is a red flag already. I like Brosgol's artstyle for this comic a lot, too, so it sucks that it's in live action. The guys working on this are literally whos who have all been a part of some pretty shit movies, too.

I don't want it to be bad because I love the original, but it most likely will be and I look forward to Sup Forums's outrage.

>coming-of-age story
>high school comedy

Don't you want a story about a Russian-American girl and her quirky ghost buddy?

I wanted one, I got one, and it was good. Now the masses will get exposed to this (possibly) watered-down and shitty version, hate it, and never actually look at the source material while I silently weep from my autistic construct about the true beauty of this story's true form. It's the Scott Pilgrim movie all over again.

Actually, I'm being too harsh. The Scott Pilgrim movie was fine, I just didn't like that it cut so much out (but I understand that it was necessary)

>The Scott Pilgrim movie was fine

What do you think they'll replace the russian stuff with?

Calling it now- the movie will change Mary's backstory so that she actually was raped and that's why she turns poltergeist-tier near the end. So the audience will feel bad for her, instead of disgusted that she was a bitch in real life and a bitch in death.

There will be a very funny joke about the american president being a russian spy

ha ha

LGBTQ and anti-trump

black girl from Johannesburg. same shit.

If they racechanged her at all they'd make her a mexican probably

Mexican food also makes you fat

Some good user can share the original comic?, looks comfy

it's disappointing that it's not animated because the character designs are distractingly cute, but other than that i don't see how it's bad that this is live action, the book isn't that fantastical

>texmex makes you fat

fix'd. lay off the cheese, murrican.

oh wow that would've been perfect

>quesadilla
>without the queso

Mexico is actually fatter than America though.

>quesadillas
>Mexican

authentic Mexican food doesn't even have cheese. besides queso fresco, but that's minor.

Come on user!, Mexico barely have food...

But anyas ghost is fucking terrible.

I too wished it was Laiki
they can do ghost stories so well

must be other reasons then.

>live action
>high school comedy
>coming of age

Shit is dead on arrival

>they can do ghost stories so well
Eh

>they cast an awkward, curly haired, nerdy, trending-actor jew to play a supposedly attractive, confident and scatterbrained youth

It was not fine. Casting choices were made that should never have been made.

>live action
wow, it's fucking garbage

You guys are a fucking dumpster fire.

>wah lgtbq changes
>i bet she's gonna be a black mexican transalien
>i bet they're going to cut out her russian backstory

It's like some of you are posting from cue cards. What's the most outrageous things you can complain about.

Good book tho, buy it, support the author who also has a new book out soon.

Seriously now, who the fuck keeps using the monkey paw

It's been a while since I watched it, but I was actually shocked by how faithful it was overall. They cut less than I was expecting (even though it might have helped the movie itself flow better if they had).

>watch them turn 'Anya' into 'Aisha', the immigrant muslim girl who is bullied by her white peers

No one would care if it's a bad book, becasue they are fucking up a good one they are more invested in the potentially bad name it could get.
>buy one
I did and my cousin borrowed it never to return.

You have to leave

Marketers my man, it's this self-fulfilling cycle of them shilling a product on Sup Forums, flooding the boards with their own posts hyping up the product, going to their execs and saying "look how well this product is doing online", the exec greenlighting the product, and then it crashing once everyone realizing there was never nay genuine interest to begin with.
Pro-tip: this has been going on recently with Hey Arnold, Invader Zim, Ed, Edd and Eddy, and Billy & Mandy

you think it would've run out of fingers before Suicide Squad hit theatres

go back to Sup Forums
shills (at least beyond autists plugging their youtube videos) aren't really you paranoid cunt
why would they care about us neckbeards

>really
*real

>buy it
I just did.

where's the link

No clue I just remember the last two times I've seen the storry dumped, there were feel bad fapfics posted or linked.

"comfy"

will I get to see this page adapted on the big screen

You have problems
desuarchive.org/co/thread/93635300/#93654837

man I wish Laika would do it...

THIS IS SOME MONKEY'S PAW BULLSHIT

WHO DID IT!? CONFESS!

Why does Sup Forums like to say Monkey's Paw so much?

Because Sup Forums likes their meme.

Read all of it on a story time threat. Bought it that day.