What series do you think belongs in the pantheon of the medium's greatest works...

What series do you think belongs in the pantheon of the medium's greatest works? Series that you'd show someone to get them to understand the storytelling potential of comics, stories that anyone can pick up and immediately recognize the genius at work.

I've always heard Bone, Maus, etc. I'd probably add Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and some Love and Rockets. Maybe Kirby's Fourth World work.

Sorry if I sound pretentious, I've been reading a lot of cape comics and I'm getting the urge for something more quality, and this might actually be a chance for people on this board to start reading quality comics.

The goon
hellboy/bprd
Sandman
Tmnt original
Tmnt idw
Animal man by grant morrison
Johnny the homicidal maniac
The dark knight returns
Frank millers daredevil
For the man who has everything
Usagi yojimbo
Y the last man

Nexus
Grimjack
Jon Sable, Freelance
Hulk. Whether it be the original 6 issue series, the Mantlo run or the PAD run.
Hitman.
Grendel
And Hellboy becuase it'll end being mentioned later.

Quality is, like anything, subjective. I for one, find little quality in the dour, grim, violent, and joyless writings of Alan Moore. Maus I dont understand the point. Like its supposed to be somehow more deep and meaningful telling the story of a concentration amp but with animals? I get that there is an importance to speaking about the holocaust but the animals bit just seems like pretension.

What do I find to great and meaningful? Often stories that showcase hope and goodness in the ways that speak louder then the actions presented. In recent I think of issue 7 of the most recent Superman series. I think of the immense creative genius of Jack Kirby the the exploration of the imagination he brought. These are concepts I value and create works I would call "genius"

Series? Because I wouldn't refer to Maus as a "series" despite it being released in two volumes. But if it has to have been released incramentally: Hellboy/BPRD, Optic Nerve, Flex Mentallo, Sandman, Watchmen (and maybe Providence, though that's probably just flavor of the month leftover in my mouth), Blueberry, Obscure Cities Perramus, El Eternauta, Life and Times of Scrroge McDuck, and either Planetary or Transmetropolitan are all worth putting up there in the pantheon. Non-serialized works include Asterios Polyp, Select works by Jason (Why are You Doing This?, Left Bank Gang, The Last Musketeer), It was the War of the Trenches, and a bunch of others I don't wanna take up space with.

>I've been reading a lot of cape comics and I'm getting the urge for something more quality
No excuses now.

>joyless writings of Alan Moore
Don't blame your own shortcomings on Alan Moore's writing.

Building Stories is a good one. Some people don't like it as much as Jimmy Corrigan, though.

While Hulk is great, I don't think OP is really talking about the standard comics style that's been in most superhero comics. I think he's looking for things that do interesting things with the form itself.

However I think Kirby's Fourth World stuff might fit pretty well with a lot of experimental types of paneling and even collage being used.

>Quality is, like anything, subjective.
Stopped reading right there. Quality is objective, how you interpret a work is subjective.

Do you also have that top 100 meme chart?

Hitman
Conan #0-50 (1st Dark Horse volume)
Scout
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Year One
Frank Miller's Daredevil

Foolkiller (Steve Gerber's miniseries)
Ronin
Akira
Roy Thomas' Savage Sword of Conan
Hawks of Outremer
Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword
Pigeons From Hell (Eclipse Comics version ONLY)
The Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck
the rest of Don Rosa's Duck comics

Madman
Mage
Starman
Jonah Hex
Zot!

>Akira

crossed
nemesis
batman and robin all stars
mockingbird
america

>crossed

Those and Enigma, Rogan Gosh, Skin, Morrison Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo, Black Hole, Last Look, The Wrenchies, Building Stories

Then how do we determine objective quality?

Pretty much everything that's been mentioned, plus:
O'Neil's Question run.
Enemy Ace: War Idyll.
Guido Crepax's Valentina.
Corto Maltese.
Judge Dredd: America.
Slaine: The Horned God.
The Ballad of Halo Jones.
Road to Perdition.

>people thinking that PAD's Hulk or their other favorite capeshit would impress normies
>people thinking that Kirby was a good writer or that Fourth World wouldn't just look like poorly dialogued clumsy kid comics to normies

Watchmen
Moore's Swamp Thing
Dark Knight Returns
Bone
Sandman
Cerebus

That's the entirety of the list. Don't even talk to me about things like Astro City or FM Daredevil. Some of you guys aren't self-aware enough to realize what those series (great though they are) look like to other people not already steeped in comics lore.

>Foolkiller (Steve Gerber's miniseries)
Severely underrated.

>learn about
Lol. The need to be taken seriously got the better of someone.

Fuck those other guys. You're okay. Moorefags see themselves as intellectuals. It's pretty funny.

Maus is okay but I think most of its reputation is based on "OH it's about WWII OH MY GOD HOW IMPORTANT" rather than actual skill or quality.

Get into critical theory cuck.

Don't forget The Unfunnies.

Already know you were a Supesfag before I finished reading your post. Funny considering Moore wrote his 2 best stories.

I despise you

That list looks terrible. Like I know there are some entries on it, but far too many entries that detract from it.

It's a regular list of the "the comics canon".

>Johnny the homicidal maniac
I surprisingly agree. From Invader Zim you'd think Vasquez was some entitled edgy faggot but Johnny is actually a good deconstruction of the "carefree nihilistic invincible lauging psychopath" archetype.

It's bait everyone, no one has taste this shitty.

For the Man who has everything is extremely overwrought. It has "meaning" because it tries too hard to have it, thus, in my opinion rendering it meaningless. Of course Superman is going to reject a false, "perfect" world.

You're a Moorefag, of course you'd say that.

It would be some Japanese and European series.

?

Are you seriously saying Superman Rebrth is better than Saga of the Swamp Thing? You need to realize that just because it makes you feels good doesn't mean it's well written

The comic adoption of Elric is pretty high tier.
So is Miracleman.

>still no mention of All-Star Superman
disgusting

Not even Grant Morrison's best work

Punisher MAX

Moore's Swamp Thing is so fucking good

The highest of tastes.

Milligan's Shade, the Changing Man

Planetary I think is particularly notable since it has this self-demonstrating point that many comic characters have eclipsed the myths used as inspirations,

>This comic

Don't know why no one has suggested Constantine yet, especially since you're already reading Swamp Thing.

Seriously, that was some next level shit

Your taste is so bad it's not even funny

like what? I'm open to those

Kirby would work if you gave them some historical context. It's a lot like watching older movies, some people can still be clued in if they're open minded.

Superman: Red Sox

Luthor: Man of Steel

That I've read:

El Eternauta
Prince Valiant
Asterix
Tintin
Animal Man
Sandman
Nemesis the Warlock
Mafalda
Ronin
Hellboy
Claremont's X-men
Hitman
Hellblazer
Morrison's Animal Man
Capitán Trueno
Dredd in general
Classic FF
Etrigan the Demon
Moore's Swamp Thing
Classic Strange
Providence
Maus
Punisher MAX
DKR
Sin City

there's a shitload of great works OP, there isn't really a point of making lists besides Rec threads, as there is no way to objectively measure them against each other