This show is starting to feel like it wanted to follow into Moral Orel's footsteps of "oh shit we're dark now" but...

This show is starting to feel like it wanted to follow into Moral Orel's footsteps of "oh shit we're dark now" but failed to understand why they were able to do it so successfully.

Other urls found in this thread:

ace-the-king-of-pants.tumblr.com/post/162913679612/pocket-mortys-ideas[\spoiler]
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Problem with Rick and Morty is that none of the main cast are likable, or even presented to be. Even Morty, the character you'd expect to feel sorry for the most, is starting to become more of a dirtbag like Rick, because of forced development. Most of the characters in Moral Orel are compelling, have depth, and can make you root for them or feel sorry for them. But Rick and Morty doesn't have this, as it was once an episodic shitpost of a show.

Am I a pleb for thinking the enlarging ray tech support gag was one of the funnies jokes in the show?

Also, wtf why is Rick suddenly Inspector Gadget?

It's weird. The cybernetics must have happened after Pickle Rick. We saw a few with the Vindicators. Is this leading to something or is it a one off that will never be mentioned again?

I think it's just a joke where it was a very elaborate, long sequence for what was the equivalent of hitting the guy over the head with a bottle.

I think it's the equivalent of a gag where a sniper wants to shoot someone who is right in his face so he first runs a million miles away to take the shot.

Moral Orel was like Venture Brothers, injecting adulthood and harsh reality into a children's cartoon concept while making the theme of adults being corrupt/failures center to the show.

Rick & Morty is a show that subverts tropes while having a random adventure plot. The closest cartoon I can think of to it is American Dad. In general I'd call it like a serial cartoon take on the comedy of the Cornetto Trilogy where you mash genres and parodies while relying on the dissonance for the humor.

OP is comparing apples to oranges and trying to come up with a reason for apple juice failing to be orange.

I have to disagree, I'm still able to sympathize with most of the Rick And Morty protagonists, the only character that I'm having troubles feeling anything for is Summer, she just didn't have enough prior development before becoming the unstable bitch she is now, so I hardly care.
For the others it's different, I can understand Beth acting like a bitch because she's afraid her father will leave again, I can understand Morty becoming more and more fucked up and numb the more he hangs out with Rick. I can understand Rick being a complex bipolar individual who does feel affection but is still ultimately extremely toxic to the people around him, I can understand Jerry being content with having a normal life, and being miserable since you can't have that when Rick is around. I can sympathize with them because I see where they're coming from.
I understand if people disagree with me, but honestly I do not think these characters lacked development.

He's not in his original body anymore since he body hopped a few times up the chain of command during his attack on the council of Ricks. I don't know if they put thought into that aspect, but my headcanon is that the high-ranked Rick body had a lot of cyber enhancements he wasn't even aware of until the detectors at the airport pointed it out to him.

You guys gotta stop over analyzing the show. Its episodic and the only consistency that matters is whats usable for a gag/joke. The show will throw its plot, lore, or character devopment under the bus if it makes a good episode (in the eyes of the writers)
If you get upset or bitch about or even bank on an over arching plot, character development, this show having some kind of point, then you are only punishing yourself because youre either to dumb to get the show, or to autistic to enjoy what it is (with all due respect)

The "oh shit we're dark now" was r&m burying themselves followed by the talk with sister. I get that its hip to shit on r&m but put a little more thought into your shitposting

I just don't think even Rick could turn cybernetics into a pickle and back

Jerry is likeable.

No, it doesn't.
How can Sup Forums miss the point of a show this badly?
Is nihilism as it relates to quantum mechanics really that hard to grasp?

How is it nihilistic when, of the two "nihilistic" characters one is shown to be a manaical douchebag whose belief in God flip-flops when his back is up against a wall, and the other only got that way through severe emotional trauma?
Nihilism, especially when used in conjunction with this show, sure is one annoying new buzzword.

Why not? He literally turned his entire body into a pickle and back

Both R&M and Moral Orel are shows that had lighthearted stupid concepts that were done away with in seasons 2-3, replaced entirely in character drama. Why did Moral Orel successfully make the jump and RM didn't?

Have you ever met a nihilist who is nihilistic 100% of the time?
Take Christianity as an example - have you ever met a Christian who is Christlike 100% of the time? We're lucky if they're Christlike 10% of the time.

Besides, nihilists are nihilistic about nihilism. They're like Satanists minus the attachment to hocus pocus bullshittery - whatever works works, and if it doesn't work we're free to change our minds and do what we want.

Nobody feels that way except you Op. The show was dark and edgy from episode 1

>youre either to dumb to get the show, or to autistic to enjoy what it is
Nice troll attempt. Let's see if anyone fals for it.

Jerry is a parasite that picks on mentally handicap people because it makes him feel good. Way to show some humility which Rick ended up having to do

Nah dawg, that was the best joke of the episode.

And it was pitched by a woman.

Same goes for Bojack Horseman.

So between the man whose lives in his daughter-in-law's garage and the man who decided to leave the family and live on his own, Jerry is the one who is a parasite?

And picking on the mentally handicapped is what Rick does on a regular basis, Jerry was giving him a taste of his own medicine.

>daughter's garag

Slipped up there.

I'm afraid the show's already dead, it is basically kept alive because of huge fanbase out there. I still watch it because of sentiment to first episodes.

>I'm afraid the show's already dead, it is basically kept alive because of huge fanbase out there
Shit, it really is the new MLP.

In Vindicators, you can see the arm from this episode sitting on the shelf behind him when he's drunk. He probably installed them before passing out.

It's the body swap he did in episode 1 of this season.

its even worse than that, because they completely went to shit at the end of season 3, not at the beginning of season 3
its fucking sad how roiland and harmon have washed up before a bunch of minor writers hired to sell toys

You guys wanna see my ideas for Pocket Mortys?
Here it is ace-the-king-of-pants.tumblr.com/post/162913679612/pocket-mortys-ideas[\spoiler]

Because Moral Orel had better people behind it and they were better prepared for the jump. Moral Orel's comedy is good, but the show thrives on its dramatic elements and it was always primed for that; even a few episodes in the first season took that dramatic tone shift and since it was ingrained in the show's style it just seemed natural. Meanwhile Rick and Morty was not built for drama. The best aspects of R&M were always the really fun high-concept adventure shit, and sure they weaved in drama occasionally but it was never the focus and usually the drama was the weakest part. However fans loved it for some reason and Dan Harmon, who just recently went through a divorce thought that it would be an excellent idea to shove that into his show.

>This show is starting to feel like it wanted to follow into Moral Orel's footsteps of "oh shit

>Too many BLANK-Fan Morties/10

FiM started being crap since the S2 finale.

Oddly enough if you compare the two shows together it gives you a damn good reason to become a Christian

Both characters have shitty lives.
But Morty's destiny is to an unhappy nihilist like Rick or even evil
but Orel is saved because his Christian beliefs and faith in God

You know it really says a lot about Orel's character that he still thinks to put up a picture of his parents on the wall

>Implying Orel's life isn't just a fantasy and his wife doesn't cheats on him with a nigger.

not Sup Forums here but a nigger :^)

Eh, Orel ended up happy because Orel was a good person. The only time Orel made people suffer is when Reverend Putty or Clay gave him a biblical lesson. Christianity did its best to turn Orel into a horrible person like everyone else in town, but he was too pure. I mean, the only other good person in town was Stephanie, and she definitely wasn't Christian.

because he had to use a serum, making it more biological (hence why his clothes didn't get turned into a pickle and back)
unless you want to tell me all that machinery is biological

Rick and Morty was literally always occasionally dark. The first episodes covered "realistic" rape threats, on-screen deaths, all that shit.

Moral Oral was completely different, it started as a parody show where a young Christian boy would raise Zombies with the necronomicon or impregnate half the town by inserting his semen into sleeping women to "not waste his seed". It ended as a bleak look at a failed family where everyone hates each other and the town is full of seriously terrible people hiding behind masks.

Wow user you must really hate Christians :^).

But seriously, the town used Christianity as an excuse for their shitty actions. The show points out that you can be a bad person and hide behind religion and that good people can come from any walk of life.

They're likeable and entertaining as characters, they're just very good for self inserting.

Which is pretty shitty considering that for the first 1 and a half seasons a good portion of the fanbase was just a circlejerk on how cool Rick was.

I still like the white one

It felt like a classic cartoon gag to me

in R&Ms defense, some of the season 2 darker moments were great. I liked the parasites episode's ending and the ending where Morty shot Fart
but even in those, the characters were all still fairly likeable

since season 3 began, Rick's just been a manipulative asshat taking even more advantage of his family's love for him, Morty's been a bigger douchebag, and their adventures just don't seem as fun

>Christianity did its best to turn Orel into a horrible person
except for all the times where he used his Christianity to keep himself a good person and to try and help others

hell, the two most religious people in this show are arguably the nicest characters

There were other good people, even Christians. Nurse Bendy didn't do anything specifically mean or evil, given her situation, and she's a Christian. Putty, even though his faults, is still a good person that does his best to help people. He helped Stephanie even before he knew she was his daughter, which becomes obvious when you find out he wasn't anti-gay, just aware that the relationship Stephanie had wasn't real. Sure Putty looks like a dick when he's all alone, but even when the entire town is hopeless, including fucking Orel, he still pulls through and gives a sermon on Hope, which helped a lot of people.

Real answer - it's for a throwaway joke, there's no real meaning to it unless they retcon one in later. Like the Wubalubadubdub thing.

In-universe answer - The body he swapped to in the premier had cybernetic implants for one reason or another. iirc his body was one of the Coulcil's officer types or high councilor or something, so it makes sense that body would be pimped out with some neat tech.

Speculation - it was added sometime around when he pickled himself or in the unseen first adventure with the Vindicators.