Unsounded

Best Da ever

>they thought the letter would say bad things about sette

Other urls found in this thread:

unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/164538980565/nasty-ruckbastion-pwp-rape-smut-comic-from
unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/120811497075/back-home-i-noticed-sette-sleeps-in-a-riding-dog#notes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fug, I feel the conflict

Which dad does Sette side with. I get the feeling Nary won't be the sort to be fooled if she tries to go back without actually losing Duane

Also is her name fucking pronounced Set-ee and not just Set, because if it is my life has been a lie

> remember, predators don't die old

I love him, I wish he was my da.

Its distracting how much he looks like Negan from the Walking Dead

His personality is pretty similar too.

I approve of this turn of events. But I don't entirely buy that Da is Mister Loving Father Friend. There's no reason to believe he isn't just using her. And the whole "predators don't die old" thing is fucking creepy. Just steering his kid into a premature bad end and shrugging off all responsibility.

Duane would flip his shit at this brand of parenting.

Considering the length of this comic and it's roleplay roots, he probably precedes Negan.

Nary's kept Sette alive longer than Duane kept Mikala alive.

>There's no reason to believe he isn't just using her
He's testing her suitability to one day lead the family, that's pretty obvious. A Frummagem's got to be tough, clever, and lucky. Doubly so for a girl that's got no business whoring. His ways are pretty nasty by modern, twenty-first century standards, but he's a man from a certain life who wants his daughter to be her best possible self. There's a certain kind of rough love and pride there.

Heck, he even gives her the option to tap out if things are too much for her, but he knows they aren't.

>implying it doesn't
Putting in a bullshit peptalk message Sette can actually understand (that he knows she can sniff out) is the perfect contingent plan to distract her from figuring out how hard she's being used.
Best da? More like best manipulator, but this will make it all the more delicious when everything comes crashing down on her head.

damn this thread is dead

So do we trust Nary or nah?

Not a lot is happening that quickly. You can exhaust the conversion rapidly.

Ow, low blow, dude.

This. The scrawl message is even specifically adressed to her, and he knows she can't read the written letter.

I don't trust any Frummagem at this point. Not even Sette, really, despite how cute and fun she is.

You know what else was a low blow? The one that killed Mikala.

Her just being called SET would actually be really cute.

>And the whole "predators don't die old" thing is fucking creepy. Just steering his kid into a premature bad end and shrugging off all responsibility.
I doubt he's trying to get her killed. He likely means every word of it, and others simply don't understand their way of thinking. That they hold such lines of thought are probably why the family name has such a rep behind it.

DIE BITING THE THROAT.

>Also is her name fucking pronounced Set-ee and not just Set, because if it is my life has been a lie

Yep. I had the same moment back when I heard Ashley do some kind of reading or something. Christmas related maybe? I don't remember.

more like left of center he was clearly aiming for Duane.

Eh, he also doesn't say things will be forgiving, simply sorted.

if sette was a boy no one would question nary letting his son earn his spurs

meanwhile duane wouldn't even let his daughter become a wright since she was only fit for being a housewife.

Even if she was a boy everyone would assume he would be just another disposable patsy like Stockyard.

I think perhaps Nary's town won't even BE there by the time Sette gets back. I bet he sent her out on such a long quest ON PURPOSE so she wouldn't see the death of his domain, since it was already dying. And if she succeeds, she can still Frummagem it up in another town. He's planted seeds.

>since it was already dying
Did I miss something?
When was this said?

There is literally nothing wrong with Frummagens.

I doubt that, Nary's problem is stagnation, but things are pretty stable. Biggest threat to him would be Duane coming back with murder in his eye

They have fleas, mange and bite, a starving dog would be a better companion.

Better a starving dog over a filthy commie or degenerate ald

>I wish he was my da
No you don't. I have an intelligent, charismatic criminal for a father. It's not fun.
>But I don't entirely buy that Da is Mister Loving Father Friend. There's no reason to believe he isn't just using her.
Of course he's using her. He tells her everybody uses everybody else. And if she doesn't see it, she's not fit to lead.
>And the whole "predators don't die old" thing is fucking creepy. Just steering his kid into a premature bad end and shrugging off all responsibility.
There isn't a good end. Or his definition of good end is different from yours. What? You want to be a hundred and die snug in your soft bed surrounded by a soft family that doesn't know what it really means to live? Not my girl. She's a predator, she's a winner. She takes until she's taken and she laughs in the grave.
I've heard all this shit before and I'm legit triggered.
Good job Ashley.

It's interesting to compare him to another webcomic lead with daddy issues. Tony from Gunnerkrigg Court is another dad who doesn't show up much directly, or didn't until recently, but casts a long shadow over the MC and is revealed to be more nuanced that we might have expected. Tony is shown to be more caring and less malicious than the audience thought with very understandable reasons for what he's done, but is still responsible for the MC's emotional fucked upness and a continuing source of problems for her. He's not a good dad, despite the extenuating circumstances.

I think it's becoming clear Nary is more willing to bet on Sette and considers her more than we might have expected, but it's obvious he still has problems. This doesn't erase the indications we've clearly seen that Nary physically abuses her or has her sleep in a dog kennel. It's just that we're getting more of an image of Nary as a human being for whom these actions fit into a larger whole of his person, rather than a two dimensional caricature that the main characters rail against. And it should've been expected from Cope that he'd be so.

I think a big part of Unsounded is going to turn out to be how you separate the good from the bad. Based on what's been implied by Sette's life, she hasn't had much influence beyond Nary and her own skewed perspective of him. Yet Sette still has a strong moral compass preceeding Duane's attempts to embolden that part of her. She's her dad's girl, for better or worse. Just as much as Duane is a man of his country or Jivi is of his. The good parts and the bad parts are mixed together.

inb4 Sette is also part of the deal and he's using reverse psychology to ensure she goes to Alderode.

>Sette being part of the deal when Stock tried to send her away for the credit

It's already hard to believe Nary accounted for Sette getting the letters he sent to Stock

>modern, twenty-first century standards

forget that - they're pretty nasty for goddamn aldish standards! and those people have, like, 18th-century level child-rearing ideals

Luckily she ain't a fucking soft shit Ald

does it matter?

boy or girl, sette is tiny. nobody's taking the child-thing seriously

>better starving dog over [human] or [human]

well, that just goes without saying

yeah, soft-shit alds, and their 10-year old jihadi war machines

how is that better than Nary who at worst smacks Setty around.

Sounds like its his moto. Hell since it was password it could be an old family saying that predates Sette. Maybe it is what his parents told him.

>how is that better than Nary who at worst smacks Setty around.
One, we don't know the extent of the abuse, if any.
Two, there's a lack of any moral code beyond profit. I know, I know. Darwinist shit incoming. But some people find a pure survivalist ideology disgusting.

>duane wouldn't even let his daughter become a wright since she was only fit for being a housewife.

He relented and was gonna teach her, if they hadn't got murdelized that same night she'd likely have become Best Wright in Decades

awwwwww

>It's already hard to believe Nary accounted for Sette getting the letters he sent to Stock
I'm glad someone else thinks this. I rarely have criticisms of Ashley's writing, but this strains my suspension of disbelief. Barring some incoming reveal, the main way I can rationalize it is if the Singing Scrawl's scent was supposed to be more obvious to Sette, and act as a beacon of sorts for her to find that letter among Stockyard's property. He was burning incense the first time, which could have masked it, and afterwards there's what she mentions on this page about the letters being soaked (presumably making the scents fade). But that's still something of a stretch IMO.

It just feels like covering bases to me. You just stick that in a letter, and only someone looking for it would find it. Take into account he knows Sette can smell this shit and it really feels more like a backup than anything else. Especially since the way she describes it is them having done this before, and specifically with her given the code phrase. Putting coded messages in things a character might cross paths with isn't the most out there of narrative conveniences. As Nary might expect, Sette getting the letters would probably only happen in the circumstance where things didn't go as they should, which is still Sette taking Duane to Alderode, not what Stockyard was planning.

Then again, it's a bit out of nowhere. It encapsulates a number of things we've seen before, but I don't disagree that it's a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, that's along the lines of how I was seeing it, it makes far more sense as a backup plan than a primary one. It is basically a narrative convenience, but it's easier to swallow after discussing this.

On a tangential note, I do not expect it to be the case with this letter, but now I'm wondering if Singing Scrawl can be encoded with different passwords keyed to individual messages. I don't see why it couldn't, since it's basically a pymaric, if the crushed first material had sufficient memory.

>Its distracting how much he looks like Negan from the Walking Dead
...he looks zilch like Negan

>strong features
>bit of manly scruff
>intensely focused
>one of the smartest characters
>still has a playful side
Is Nary the best husbando in the comic? I'm feeling like the answer is yes.

OH MY SINGIN' SCRAWL

>Predators don't die old
Big death flag for Nary right there

Or a big death flag for Sette.

>Gives his daughter repressed memories of her screaming with his hand around her throat

You missed one.

>that face
Someone's been reading Golden Kamuy.

I want Nary to have a genuine soft spot for Sette. The idea of Nary only viewing her as a tool to use and expend, that all of his caring actions that Sette talks about was just a ploy, would feel too cliche if that were true. If Nary grew tired of her and began to view her as more of a liability as time went on, as has been alluded to a few times (or that may have been some talk on Sup Forums a long while back that I'm mistaking for part of the comic), then I'd be okay with that.

A thing we got to remember that a lot of people don't understand in the comic is that they don't think Duane has a soul. To everyone he's some undead expirement so it's a no brainer for a sharte to sell him.

>Her smile and optimism: restored

If she was screaming, he can't have been choking that hard. Which is more than you can say for when our friendly neighborhood attack zombie was choking her.

Signs point to Nary really caring about Sette.

That's somehow worse, if he didnt care for her it would be easier to make Sette realize how bad a father he is but if he does love her it becomes a fucking nightmare.

>sette coming back and murdering him with duane was his plan all along

>Frummagems have an actual family seal
dang, Nary really is thief royalty

welcome to abusive family dynamics, son

We're literally looking at Nary from the looking glass of an inhuman little girl who has never known anything besides murder, stealing and lies.
Of course Sette paints a grand picture of Nary, she'd be fucking insane otherwise. Kids are stupid as shit and Sette's behavior should be a very big indicator that Nary is not the grand old day she says he is, especially considering Sette's breakdown over how Duane treated her like his daughter.

"Ain't nobody called me Sette like you call me Mikala"

WAIT
I THOUGHT SETTE DOESNT AGE
WHAT IS THIS DEVILRY

I didn't know the Ruck x Bastion comic from Patreon was public.

unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/164538980565/nasty-ruckbastion-pwp-rape-smut-comic-from

She also fully acknowledges he'll probably meet a grisly end, just because she knows most kids aren't raised to be a thief queen doesn't mean she doesn't think get father doesn't love her. Just his love also has to be a lot harder if she has any hope of surviving her ascension.
I assume she stopped aging after a certain point

Ashley is into some nasty fujo shit.

Of course he's just using her.

But its easier to manipulate someone with honey than vinegar.

It could be both as Cope pointed out. He could have genuine affection for her but have it be conditional.

Sette mentioned this, basically up to the Khert adventure she thought she was basically teasing a Siri-like construct.

Nary would sell a real person for the right price, of course.

I think Sette would've gotten a chance if she hadn't chimped out and fled Stocky's office when she found out she'd been rused. Once she was captured she was in no fit state to go sniffing about like she would've been had she played things cool.

Or perhaps Nary reasoned that if Stockyard listened to him or didn't and didn't fuck up, there would be no cause nor need to Sette to see the letters at all.

>or has her sleep in a dog kennel.

Until proven otherwise, I like to think Sette chose to sleep there herself.

From what she's mentioned in the tumblr about some of her own family, she'd be writing from experience, and let's be honest behind the usual cynical Sup Forums facade - who DOESN'T have family like that? Maybe not Nary-tier, but people whose familial affection is rotten with their own toxic character.

She didn't seem to mind, in any case. And the Frummagems are a school of hard knocks. Sette had to learn to steal for herself, con for herself, and fight off her own bullies. That's not Nary being cruel, but Nary not wanting to raise a vulnerable weakling.

Ashley mentioned on tumblr about her being friends with the dogs any no one can sneak up on her in the kennel.

This might be more heartbreaking than being forced to sleep there

here it is
unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/120811497075/back-home-i-noticed-sette-sleeps-in-a-riding-dog#notes

sleeping with dogs is top tier