Magic or Tech?

Which genre has the best stories Sup Forums?

I feel like there are very few writers who understand how to really write magic in a way that isn't just tech with a different name. So I'd say tech almost by default.

Funny, I'd say the opposite,actually. Tech.science in books is treated as magic. No explainations, no formulas or laws, just "smart" folks creating WTF inventions and pretending it makes sense.

Magic books consist of books like Hellblazer, Sandman, books of magic and Swamp Thing. So magic books win by a huge margin.
Most comic writers can't into tech or hard Sci fi.

Both

duh

>genre

Muscles

This is also true. It's a weird paradox between sci-fi and fantasy where fantasy writers are compelled to justify and classify magic and make it as mechanical as possible, while sci-fi writers are free to do whatever they want so long as they call it science. I still feel like sci-fi gets a better deal out of it though.

If magic is real it's not Magic anymore, it's science

Yeah, it's pretty weird.

So saying a few words and managing to summon beasts from another plane is science? Huh, good to know.

Study magic enough and you could turn each group of spells into their specialized areas each with its own laws and methods.

In this fictional world, yes, it's science. There was a time people thought magnets were magical

How is it not? In this setting, that alternate plan is a real place and there is a specific set of steps one can take to move creatures from it into our. The denizens of that setting would have discovered those steps through applying the scientific method to their experiments.

The problem fantasy these days is they forgot the occult is part of it.

Whew, lots of Feige fans here. Just because Magic has steps in certain universes, doesn't mean it instantly becomes a scientific field. Emotions and stuff like "hope" and "despair" play a part in the spells. Very often the power itself is given to the user by the various Gods. You have Man-Beasts running around with cow-skulls because they ate a guy in Canada.

Magic is magic,stop trying to rationalize it and ruin the whole thing. High Sci-Fi exists for purely that reason. Leave the Demons, Trolls and all that as Magic.

Eh, depends. A Fantasy setting with Elves and Orcs doesn't need the occult because it's an entirely different world.

There's plenty of sci-fi classics you didn't mention. Valerian and Laureline, Mobius stuff, etc...

>Hellblazer is actually my favorite comic

I disagree a fantasy setting with elves and orcs needs the occult to enhance whatever danger the bad guys represent.It can also help with the story telling making the twists and the reveals more interesting.

>Emotions and stuff like "hope" and "despair" play a part in the spells.
Hormones

Magic AND Tech

> A Fantasy setting with Elves and Orcs doesn't need the occult because it's an entirely different world.
If you are talking about D&D type of world then it has gods and rituals as well as conventional magic as a craft.

This is objectively the best answer.

You sound like such a brainlet.

Educate me then, oh, BrainChad? Are you a "Pure Mathematician" who looks down on "Virgin Physicists" by any chance?

"Magic is just science that we don't understand yet." -Arthur Read

Still waiting Champ...