MCU’s resistance to franchise fatigue... how?? 18 films in and breaking records still!

MCU’s resistance to franchise fatigue... how?? 18 films in and breaking records still!

Seriously. What is it that they are doing that sets them apart? We’ve seen absolute mega franchises that uses to tear up the box office, now very transparently losing public interest after only 3 films (Transformers, Pirates, etc). We dont even know if Star Wars can hold up its current rate, it’s release schedule is too all over the place to tell (literally decades long gaps between movies).

Yet the MCU seems to only be picking up steam as it releases its 18th (17th?) movie. In fact, Phase 3 has been a complete upward trend. And given the hype even BEFORE Black Panther, I cant imagine Infinity War faltering. Especially with Black Panther raising the hype through the roof now. You could even say the MCU is stronger than ever before, this is the first time ever that a SOLO hero film has ever made this much money.

So how do they do it? By all means, interest should have fizzled out around the time Iron Man 3 came out. What are they doing differently?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SK0Jhk7Pw
youtube.com/watch?v=PraUjsClgDM
youtube.com/watch?v=6R8zzfDXb2s
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhukE1O_oR4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wouldn't you like to know DCuck

Because it's not one franchise; it's several with unique characters and settings.

They have created a strong brand of mild adequacy. You like one MCU movie, you're bound to sort of enjoy the others, because at the end of the day they're all pretty same-y.

DCU movies? You may get a good one and three shit tier ones. No quality control.

Also Disney marketing. Those guys do the real work here.

The marketing for Black Panther should be taught in schools.

>What is it that they are doing that sets them apart
The formula works. However, genius in their marketing is in presenting each movie in a fresh way. They switch up their presentation or style every film, while keeping the underlying formula identical. Every movie is the same dish, but each one adds different hints of flavor that keep you coming back.

Guy running Marvel Studios knows the characters and has a master plan laid out that can be changed depending on how well a certain movie performs (or doesn't). He also recognizes the comics actually have a lot of good content he can steal from to get a semi-decent story line.

spend 300 million making a recycled unoriginal cgi filled movie with a plot that can be spoonfed to little kids and room temperature IQ's. Then spend another 100mil on promotion and paying critics for +90% rottentomato scores and boom make a billion profit.

Diversity.
As in they have many different heroes, doctor strange has magic, iron man has technology, thor has mythology. The reason people are already tired of star wars is because they rehash stuff like the AT-AT in every single movie. Also having other characters show up makes the MCU feel like a tv show where everything is connected.
That all said, 99% of marvel movies still suck major dick but this is why normies like 'em.

waaah no one can have any fun ever

>and breaking records
inflation

I fear it will all come down after Infinity War 2.

Anons falsely believe Black Panther's boffo box office is random, that Kevin Feige and Bob Iger simply rolled the onyx-colored dice. The opposite is true. Bob Iger gets his instructions from political powers, few of which have American interests at heart, some of which are curdingly subversive.

You probably don't know that Iger, Disney's most successful CEO ever, wants to cap his life's work by becoming US president. And that Iger literally walked off Trump's WH advisory board after the Charlottesville car thing.

Disney has a monopoly on entertainment. Even before Rupert "Zionist War Carnival Barker" Murdoch sold Iger 20th Century Fox. But Disney doesn't stop at entertainment. Its real money is in geo-political social engineering. Yep. Just as Facebook's is. You think the media turning on Zuckerberg in 2018 is unrelated to Trump's victory? Zuckerberg failed the NWO. Whereas Iger is their Golden Son now.

Disney has a neo agenda, subtly deployed, where they are tapping the energy of American holidays, anchoring their products to the dates, then supercharging them with baited "controversy" and online division, until the movies are not only subconsciously linked to the holidays, but overshadow them. Black History Month is now Black Panther Month. And Black Panther 2 will arrive in 2020, election year. Now Michelle Obama will run against Trump as BP2 happens. Iger helps Michelle get elected. Then Michelle helps Iger get elected: first Jew Zionist Globalist president. The power of Disney.

Disney shit the bed however with Last Jedi. Star Wars is supposed to supplant Christmas. But Kathleen Kennedy is sloppy, self-pleased. Killing off Luke Skywalker like a bitch is symbolic -- white males are dying out, losing power -- but the execution was ironically nigger-tier. So Kennedy dumped god-tier money to the Game of Thrones Jews to takeover. They left HBO, where their Modern Black Slavery show was in limbo. Guess what? Star Wars is going Afro Jew too in 2020.

Franchise fatigue only applies to franchises which the MCU technically is not. It's a collection of franchises that connect on a varying scale from loosely to directly. It's not like the franchises within don't suffer from it. Nobody wants a 4th Ironman film for example.

Doubt it. They just got the X Men to play with.

>The Jewish press latching onto something and race baiting as hard as possible

Don't worry, it is

Disney controls the (((media))) and (((critics))). It’s why when people didn’t like The Last Jedi they had their puppets go on a spree denouncing anyone who hated TLJ as Hitler.

/thread

Then why come TLJ clearly underperformed if they control reported Box Office scores?

It didn’t underperform. It made a billion.

Coz people are retards and cant see that MCU is shit.

Nigga look at how fucking retarded DC movies are if you wanna see what Marvel has been repeatedly doing right. The differences are night and day.

only billion, where it should made more than tfa

>FTFY
Disney controls the (((media))), (((media))) controls the (((critics))) and the (((critics))) control normies and we are left with nothing but low tier movies. Ergo, the only atempt at making true capekińó was butchered by Disney, media, critics and normies.

They are genuinely entertaining films. Something to watch when you're tired as fuck from work or your wife's nagging.

Yeah but they want a fourth Thor movie. Amazing that the 3rd did so much better than the other two. Marvel is rather amazing.

All kino connoisseurs quit MCU around 2012-13.

Marvel Cuckold Universe

They are trying to slowly kill it off like they are killing off all the characters, mmos, and the expanded universe because it was built by and for fucking white males and is problematic.

But that's when the movies became good. Before that date Whedon was in charge

They were always shit. Only reason they do well is because they buy rottentomatoes' reviewers. Real kino connoisseurs started catching up to it around 2012. When normies also begin suspecting that the reviewers are paid off, then 'franchise fatigue' will set in.

>Whedon was in charge
but did he feel in charge??

The differencemaker in this case was 100% that Fiege convinced Bob Iger not only to get rid of the “creative committee” that made some verh bad choices, but also convinced him to remove anyone between himself and Iger. Fiege is the only studiohead at Disney that reports directly to Iger. Lucasfilm doesnt even have that.

They got rid of the committee around the time Avengers 2 was releasing, and Civil War was the first movie released that didnt have their fingerprints on it at all. And you can really tell with Phase 3 that Fiege is just going balls out trying new stuff and allowing directors to make the movies they want with no executive meddling. Pic related, it’s working.

Conversely, you can see how absolutely shit the DCEU is and it is largely from executive meddling. Like, an unprecedented amount of executive meddling, what an absolutely disgrace.

I guess because not every movie is connected as far as they aren't all sequels to each other. They all have different flair, too, like Ant-Man is a heist movie, Avengers is a team movie, Hulk is a sci fi movie, Iron Man is kind of a batman type story, etc. Basically it feels like we got a bunch of separate movies that occasionally come together for something big, which is exactly what they are.

Black panther was totally better than Iron man lmao. This is conclusive proof that reviewers are bought out.

>MCU’s resistance to franchise fatigue... how?
Subnormal I.Q.'s and bottom-feeder tastes in entertainment

Unlike star wars where every single entry is part of 1 single storyline. For 10 movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SK0Jhk7Pw

youtube.com/watch?v=PraUjsClgDM

they are potato chips and they know it, everyone is bound to like it somewhat, they own several flavors, and they are't trying to be anything above potato chips.

It is hard to hate potato chips but they really aren't worthy of love either.

this.

youtube.com/watch?v=6R8zzfDXb2s

They managed to introduce tv show episodic nature to movies. People don't care whether a Marvel movie is good or bad, they don't care whether a movie has stakes or advances the larger plot, they just watch it because they have always been doing that.

Though I don't watch them because they look like entertainment for teenagers, I can't deny the genius behind the project.

More kids are born everyday, dumbass. Eventually they are 10 and go to see every Marlel flick.

The good DC movies are timeless masterpieces that will be watched for decades, the good Marvel movies are interesting to talk about on Twitter for 2 days before people start looking at what's coming next. Marvel movies are successful and disposable comfort food.

>good DC movies
>movies

Think you added an S there by accident buddy.

Hey, two is plural

TDKR and?

McDonal'd's resistance to franchise fatigue....how?? Decades in and breaking records still!

>TDKR
"no"

TDK, Donner Supes. I also forgot about Burton Bats, so three in total

youtube.com/watch?v=ZhukE1O_oR4
>unironically gives a good review

>Americans drink an average of 399 servings of Coke products per year. 50% of these are Coke brands, and 63% of those are Coca-Cola Classic. That comes out to 125.7 Classic Coke servings per person.
Coke's resistance to soda fatigue... how?? literally trillions of gallons have been sold since 1899

How is such a thing possible? Dare I say that Coke is the greatest cultural event of our lives?

Terrible comparison, coke is filled with addictive psychoactive substances like sugars and caffeine.

MCU is filled with addictive psychoactive substances like quips and marketing.

yeah go put 30 mg of caffeine and a few tablespoons of sugar in some water and get 'addicted' to that.
idiot.

it has an overarching story the whole gems thing and cameo crossovers. also good casting with plenty of star power
all of this is normie bait

Those aren't substances.

That is called a Soda Stream Energy Drink and people are getting addicted plus its more like 10 tablespoons of sugar and 60 mg of caffeine in a coke.

Which one is the good DC movie again?

>doctor strange has magic, iron man has technology, thor has mythology
They are one and the same

18 films is like maybe 40 hours. That's 4 seasons of game of thrones. Do you have ADHD

While the plots are formulaic, each of these movies has a distinct and identifiable style. Each of the heroes is different to the next.

because the movie going audience is retarded

7 fast and furious movies and they're making more money with each new one

I think it is because MCU is tapping into the same desire for "immersion" that some video games capture. I don't mean simple escapism because that has always been around, but rather persistent being in another world. There are other factors as well, but I think this is what makes it enduring.

Lots of reasons. A few:

1. The movies have maintained a relatively consistent level of quality. Most people would agree that most Marvel movies are good.
2. Similarities. Marvel movies have a similar tone and style to each other, which means that if you like the previous Marvel movies you will probably like whatever the latest one is.
3. Differences. While they are similar types of movies, most Marvel movies are juuuust different enough for the average moviegoer, with the movies having different plots and characters.
4. Interconnectedness. The movies are all in the same universe, and characters appear in each other's movies. This increases the desire to see all of the movies, since they are part of a connected whole, and have an overarching plot.
5. Disconnectedness. While the interactions are a huge part of what makes the MCU popular, I think it is also worth noting that despite the overarching story most movies are pretty self contained. Unlike other franchises where the entire series tells a single story the MCU tells multiple, and so viewers don't have to see all of the movies to understand what is happening. Didn't see Thor 2? Doesn't matter at all. You can still see Ant Man or whatever.

The average casual moviegoer only sees a handful of movies a year and is likely to go to the theater either with a friends group or with family. Consequently, the movies these types of people chose to watch are those with mass appeal. Marvel movies have action, superpowers, space, big explosions, comedy and drama. None of these are done well, mind you, but it is good enough for this demographic.

They also realized early on that they really did not have to deviate much from the standard to keep people interested. People don't care about the plot of these movies at all, they just want to see Tony Stark and Captain America interact, that's the whole gimmick the "cinematic universe" is based on anyways. So they have this crutch that allows them deliver movies that are subpar in every way which in tern lowers production issues, creative struggles and reshoots. When was the last time you heard an MCU director stepping down?

For better or for worse, the people working on DC movies at least have the intention of creating something other than conveyor belt garbage

>Those aren't substances
That doesn't matter because they're optimized to hit the dopamine buttons for the largest number of people. What do you think those quips are? Media have long figured out how human attention spans work, how to keep them - when to engage, when to release tension, so on.

Psychology is slowly ditching the pseudo- from its science as neurology progresses.

It's all the same movie tho, cmon

wtf I love McDonald's, Coca Cola, Justin Bieber and MCU now!

What capeshit will I like if I liked Batman Returns and the 2003 Hulk?

Doesn't the weight of all these tinfoil hats strain your neck?

Man of Steel (Hulk 2003)
Batman v Superman (Batman Returns)

ain't no modern capeshit like that senpai

This. Its not Iron man 1, 2, 3 and so on, but its Iron man, Avengers, Hulk, Guardian of the Galaxy. Iron man, captain America.
If you watch it, its similar in tone but different enough in setting and characters to feel fresh.

Perfectly explained. A+ user.
I hope someone screencap this for further discussions.

>the largest number of people.
It does matter because due to generational, cultural, lingual, and other limitations that number will still be much smaller and shrink over time than the number addicted to an actual psychoactive substance because the human brain is much more universal and slow to change than human humor, culture, or semantics.

>For better or for worse, the people working on DC movies at least have the intention of creating something other than conveyor belt garbage

Lmaooooo. I don't think any director goes into a AAA blockbuster film intending to deliver garbage buddy. Difference between MCU and DCEU being that MCU lately hires unproven directors and I can guaruntee you that they don't want to be the first to deliver a bad MCU movie.

Speaking of DCEU vs MCU and creative control, Fiege fought for years to rid the MCU of it's creative exec committee, and finally he - a huge comic nerd - has sole control over all the MCU. DCEU? Justice League (and DCEU in general) was the most despicable display of executive meddling I have ever seen. You could write a dissertation on everything that went wrong beacuse of executives. Firing the director, rushing the Universe just to catch up with Marvel, limiting the fucking runtime to 2 hours, rushing the film out unfinished to collect their bonuses, etc.

>Feige is not a corporate exec producer
LMAO

Marvel is where artistic freedom goes to die.

>he actually believes Marvel directors don't have to bow down to studio notes and executive meddling

This fucking guy. The only difference is that the unproven directors have an understanding with the studio that they will play ball to whatever degree is necessary in exchange for being put on the map. I doubt Snyder and Ayer expected to be the executives cocksleeves as they turned out to be.

>youtube.com/watch?v=PraUjsClgDM
This is pretty good

So's Bond and Godzilla, but those are still going strong.

Because it's a franchise full of fun characters played by charismatic actors, fairly competently written, good action, and covers a variety of genres (fantasy, WWII, espionage thriller, space sci-fi, comedy, etc). Plus, it's something that comic fans have wanted for half a century, and it's a small miracle that it has turned out as well as it has. I'm still amazed that we live in a world where there are movies based around B/C-list characters like Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Ant-Man, and fucking GotG that do huge numbers. Hell, there was a time when people weren't sure if Thor was enough of a name to carry his own movie.

It's kind of weird, but that aspect of a persisten world is one thing I like about the George Romero "Dead" trilogy. Each one progresses the living dead plague a little further, so you get to see how bad things have gotten over time.

Fast and Furious' first movie was shit, but the sequels improved.
Marvel's first movie was good, but the sequels turned into shit.

phase 2 sagged but phase 3 is breddy gud

people seem to be getting dumber or at least less self aware every year

>phase 3 is breddy gud
No.

Rio Heist was amazing.

A film can be fun AND engaging. The fact that MCU capeshit is so successful despite being bottom-of-the-barrel entertainment is a sad testament of the state of the average moviegoer.

gotg 2 > gotg 1
civil war > age of ultron
thor 3 > thor 2
spidey > iron man 3
Only Winter Soldier stands above the rest.

>Didn't see Thor 2? Doesn't matter at all. You can still see Ant Man or whatever.
More like: "Didn't see Thor 1, Thor 2 and Avengers? It doesn't matter! You can still watch Thor 3, Avengers 2, Ant Man..."

see

Pic Related

The new shit is better than the old shit. But it's still shit.

Since when does Rotten Tomatoes mean anything? They'll literally banned bad reviews to some movies.

Since you were shitting on TLJ for having a bad RT score.

X-men have brand fatigue

Infinity War. After 2019, they will have to do some serious work to keep interest at what it is now or even close.

I think others couldn't do it becaus Marvel did it. You couldn't have the public keeping track of two big overaching stories.

The formula is overaching story + lore + CGI but there is only one story and Marvel occupied when Fury entered Stark's house.

I admire Feige's self-reliance because I would never trust Ant-man or Guardians to have a movie but he did it and it paid off directly or indirectly.

Calm down.
Disney was criticized for years for the underlying conservative politics of its movies. Feminism and other isms were linked to marxism, so big corporations couldn't accept it, only very mild versions. With the fall of the wall, people started focusing on versions of feminism etc inside capitalism, finally making them "pop". It became marketable and society itself became less attached to traditional values with globalization. So Disney and other noticed the wave turning and took advantage. One by one big corporations are using this to profit, but not because they want political change: their only politics is profit. Money has no smell.
But notice this: Disney still has no courage to let Killmonger win.

there are two kinds of interesting stories: the ones that have good writing and the ones with new themes/perspectives. Black Panther has a new perspective, afrofuturism+light-hearted pan-africanism. It founded a new branch of movies.

This

It took 18 movies, but we finally got someone deserving of the title "Best Girl."

True