Why don't more actual directors make animated films?

Why don't more actual directors make animated films?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Dogs_(film)
youtube.com/watch?v=jT9Fw6nBgws
youtu.be/m48ZEa3MkdA
youtube.com/watch?v=k14G6qT_YkI
youtube.com/watch?v=Er4Cha2oIpk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's just not worth it when you know Disney is just going to win the award anyway.

Peer pressure.

Rango won the award for 2011.

>making movies for awards
>not for fun or the art
Didn't Rango win the award anyways?

>actual directors
???

because they think animation is "just for kids" or they just made them animated to be "artistic". Like i doubt Wes Anderson actually gave a crap about animation while making fantastic mr fox and he just did it because hes a very experimental director.

Animated movies aren't percieved as serious, and usually get marketed to kids. Serious artsy directors don't want to be known for making the next Rango, they want to be known for making thr next Django.

So, animation directors are not directors?

Goddamn Rango was good.

Live action directors. They're usually taken more seriously than in anination.

Pssh. You think Disney didn't let that happen? Johnny Depp is too valuable to them. Look at the last decade of Best Animated Feature wins. Rango was the exception that proved the rule.

It's because Cars 2 was garbage and the academy didn't take Pooh 2011 seriously.

the guy who directed rango directed lone ranger and 2 shitty pirates movies. he doesnt deserve to be praised.

wes likes stop motion. after going in depth with it mr.fox he now puts it in his regular movies, grand budapest had several scenes in stop motion.

Mousehunt and Pirates 1 are pure kino though.

but again, its his way of being experimental. Thats not to say he hates animation, but he doesnt make a carreer out of them because hes not really interested in making more movies like fantastic mr fox. Because no high respected director in Hollywood is interested in making quality films with a media that they think is "just used for children or raunchy humor". Its a shame,but its true.
I wish Martin Scorsese or Tarantino made an animated movie.

havent seen mousehunt but yeah pirates 1 is kino. But sadly,it appears he has lost his mojo

he is making a new stop motion film right now
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Dogs_(film)

Honest answer? Directing live-action and directing animation are two completely different skill sets even though they overlap greatly.

Mousehunt was an upsetting movie.

>2011
Disney's only major animated film for that year was Cars 2.

Rango is the best animated film of the 2010s so far.

Debate me.

But they do.

i cant even pick a favorite scene, they were all great in their own way:

youtube.com/watch?v=jT9Fw6nBgws

if only they could make more movie like the
...and then lucasarts was bought by Disney.

fuck.

Oh fuck off you oversensitive ninny.

youtu.be/m48ZEa3MkdA

youtube.com/watch?v=k14G6qT_YkI

these two movies have more in common than you think

>Debate me.
Why? It obviously is.

I didn't find mousehunt to be gr
here's groundbreaking but literally nothing about Home Alone that Mousehunt didn't have. It's the same formula and the same quality of execution and it's perplexing to me that normies love one and ignored the other.

le cartoons are for babies says hollywood

>Wes Anderson
>Gore Verbinski
>real directors

Because directing a cartoon is nothing like directing actual people. You just need good animators, writers and voice actors to make animated movies work.

thats badass

it was good but i feel the liar reveal storyline undermined the rest of the movie.

Film is an auteur's medium

>
this

I think the whole Liar /big reveal and apology
storyline trope is the biggest fucking writing cop out .

I think it wouldve been much better if Rango was upfront about him not really belonging there but finding the courage to stay around and help them anyway.

If I had a penny for every time i hear a "y...you lied to us :( " *dramatic music playing* .

the only other thing that irks me more is forced romance plots like what Thor

Linklater is pretty good.

I know it's an autist's medium, that's why Mellow Yellow and Swordfights on Wheels are able to thrive. But let's at least try to encourage decent directors.

they do, they're just consumerist shit like that meatballs cgi.

This motherfucker was shockingly well done IMO, my favorite scenes all involve him
>only takes one bullet
>you aint got the nerve!
>... try me.
>that 'o shid' look in his eyes
>*guitar riff*
I feel like it was kind of necessary though. We see from the very first scene Rango's entire life revolves around playing a charecter and wanting people to love him, and he secretly hates that he has and essentially is nobody.
The bar scene is where he makes his choice, instead of being honest he falls bsck on his acting because of his desire to finally be one of his heros he made up
His journey wasnt really about "im sorry ill do gud nao" but about him learning that being a hero was never about him playing a part or being praised; even him mustering up his courage and fighting wasn never about him, none of it was; it was always about the people he was protecting and giving hope to.
Its an overused trope but I feel it was used greatly in this movie

>posting but forgetting my image
Fug

all these character are so freaking UGLY.

this movie wasn't made for money, it's more a pastiche of western movies.

Well, Anderson's actually about to make another stop motion film, it's bound to be kino.

>actual directors

whatever that means

>taken seriously

whatever that means.

it's just entertainment. who needs them.

Disney's only major animated film for this year is Cars 3, but it's going to win anyway.

you forgot about Coco. You know, that movie that's totally not Book of Life by retold, telling a story about an illegal immigrant.

youtube.com/watch?v=Er4Cha2oIpk

*Book of Life retold

He's making a second stop motion film right now, and he's cited Rankin Bass Christmas specials as an influence. Not to mention all of the animation in his regular films like Life Aquatic.

I thought it was a bit of a twist.

Like I assumed his tall-tale telling and "Jenkins brothers" just placed him in the hero position and that was that, but then Jake shows up and suddenly there's a consequence to it, whereas in another movie it would be just jokes to laugh at and forget.

Though the "liar found out" plots are grating, true. Like it always requires both sides to be retarded and not say anything.

>People taking awards seriously