ITT: we determine who do and don't count as superheroes

>Do-gooder attitude
>Secret identity
>clearly defined rogue's gallery
>powers confirmed to be superior to and distinct from most in his setting
>Has a particular outfit he wears when do-gooding
I'd say He-man is pretty solidly a superhero, at least as far as the cartoons go

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f8maCnqU74Q
youtube.com/watch?v=P7GeisRaias
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's a faggot is what he is.

youtube.com/watch?v=f8maCnqU74Q

He-Man is the straightest shit to ever exist!

Agreed.

Superhero?

Conan?

Conan is a brutal mercenary whose Rogue's Gallery usually doesn't survive a single short story. He's not a superhero at all.

yeah. is he a superhero? why or why not?

I Luke Skywalker a superhero?
is Darth Vader a supervillain?

His secret identity is largely irrelevant and pointless.

If you do not consider that he is just a typical fantasy hero. You wouldn't consider Luke Skywalker a super hero.

I think one important qualify is this
>vigilante
Now the Punisher is an interesting case. He's not a super hero but he's about as close you can get to the boarder

No.

He's more akin to Tarzan or John Carter of Mars.
He's a DnD character.

No.

By the end of the movies, sure he was the last Jedi and therefore stronger than most people in that universe, but he's only special in that he IS THE LAST. He wouldn't stand up to the likes of Yoda or Count Dooku, or even Obi Wan in his prime.

No secret identity

Jedi robes don't count as a special outfit.

>His secret identity is largely irrelevant and pointless.
bullshit and a lie, multiple plots revolve around it. You no liking the secret identity does not make it disappear.
is Vader a supervillain?

We know he's a fantasy hero, it doesn't mean he doesn't fall under superhero criteria.

>vigilante

That doesn't matter in the slightest. Being a vigilante doesn't make you any more or less of a superhero.

Vader is a supervillain because he IS exceptionally strong, he DOES have an iconic outfit that is relevant to his opposition of good, and he DOES have a secret identity.

I liked it better when he man was just a cool barbarian who found a power harness and defending castle grayskull like in the early mini comics, instead of really being that wimpy fag prince adam and only sometimes turning into he man, meaning he was no longer a real barbarian and actually just a pink wearing prince.

Would Snake Eyes be a superhero? while he does not have literal superpowers, he does have secret ninja training that very few people have

I agree, Early he-man was a barbarian hero, but do to TV censorship rules they decided to turn him into a super-campy Shazam ripoff.

>but do to TV censorship rules
Why though, how did that play into it? They couldve just made him like conan instead he doesnt kill people or have graphic sex on screen. Hell, in the early 90s they straight made a conan cartoon.

Yes yes yes.

Snake Eyes has a secret identity
Has very similar training to comparable superheroes (Daredevil, Batman)
Has a special costume for do-gooding
Is a do-gooder by association with the Joe's
He has an arch enemy
He (and the Joes) have a defined rogue's gallery

You'd probably like the newer comics. Pracitically did away with the alter ego thing (iirc)

Is Optimus Prime a superhero?

I thin a lot of it had to do with
1. as they were making a toy commercial, writers had no respect for the source material
2. even if he was limited to robots and rock monsters, they did not have the animation budget for a good fight scene
Did you know Orko was originally going to be "gorko" and have a "G" on his shirt, but they changed him to "orko" because they could more easily mirror reused animation since O is symmetrical?

>they didnt make him a barbarian because they couldnt afford cool fight scenes for a real barbarian
That is fucking stupid but i know your right

>O is symmetrical

quality kek

>Is a do-gooder
debatable, pic very much related
>Pracitically did away with the alter ego thing (iirc)
He gets found out as He-Man so his identity is no longer secret, but he discovers that the longer he stays in He-Man mode, the more violent and tyrannical he becomes, so he has to be Prince Adam a decent portion of every day
Note that he is canonically using an assumed superhero name (his real name is Orion Pax) and IIRC he is wearing a mask and has a more human-like face under it

Orion Pax WAS his name. He changed it, he don't have two names.

>Debatable do-gooder
Are we defining do-gooder as not killing? I just assumed we meant standing up for truth, justice and the American way sorta deal (with or without America)

Hero: check
Abilities outside the norm for his peers: check, depending on the continuity

Gen 1 cartoon continuity

>Me Grimlock No Superhero, Me Grimlock King!

Are they superheroes?

Then no.

Eh, they are tokusatsu heroes, which cross over with Capes significantly but are not always the same. They really do not hit enough cape tropes.

he does have a defined Rogue's gallery and a no-kill code, tho. and the Matrix of Leadership, is that not a superpower of some sort?

I wouldn't call an opposing army a rouges gallery, he doesn't have a no kill code, and the Matrix doesn't really do anything. Like, it was used twice.

Is he a superhero?

What more do they need to qualify?
>Color coded costumes
>Greater powers than the universe around them
>Expanded rogues gallery with season 3
>extreme do-gooders

If Luke Cage is a superhero, then I don't see how we can discount the Voltron team from being superheroes.

They're no different than Power Rangers and Gatchaman team, who are both undeniably superheroes.

He doesn't have a no-kill code, at least not in the Gen 1 cartoon. No one did. They were straight up at war, casualities were encouraged.

I really gotta say no.
>No special costume
>No rogues gallery (shitty reboot excluded cuz it sucks)
>No secret identity
>Is not especially stronger than those he meets, his advantage is iron will.

Nah.

Superheroes are tricky area.
Everything you said isn't really necessary for a superhero.
Hell a lot of superheroes don't have Secret Identities anymore, Some are pretty shitty guys, A lot aren't the most powerful, and some even just wear their super outfit.

>(shitty reboot excluded cuz it sucks)
??????
It's never been rebooted.

Continuation* whatever you wanna call it

>a no-kill code
u fukin' wot, m8. does this look like someone with a no-kill code
youtube.com/watch?v=P7GeisRaias

Time to break out the 30th anniversary bluray and watch this shit again. Thanks user

as I see it, there are like, 9 criteria for being a superhero and if you meet at least 7 you pretty firly are one.
Maybe not exactly that many, lets see what I got
1. do-gooder
2. separate adventuring identity
3. rogue's gallery
4. Abilities beyond the normal in his setting
5. no-kill code
6. works independently, doing good for its own sake
and uhh, those are the big ones I can think of. may come up with more
> They were straight up at war, casualities were encouraged.
fuck are you talking about, optimus Prime refused to kill people all the time
>No special costume
his robes that no one else in the show wears and he stops wearing once he's no longer superheroing. they are so special he keeps on remaking them when they get destroyed
>No secret identity
his identity is so secret the audience literally does not know his name
>Is not especially stronger than those he meets, his advantage is iron will.
dude, there is one human on Earth who was ever shown to be a match for him. Anyone who has ever fought equally or better was either partially demonic, partially divine, a robot, or an alien

Refusing to kill people doesn't mean a no-kill policy.

You might be right on all the Samurai Jack shit, it's been years since I watched.

why do all of you think a no-kill code is necessary to be a superhero

I don't get it either, most Marvel heroes have killed someone at this point. There's a few DC ones as well (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Hawkman, Green Lantern, etc)

its not necessary but its one of the criteria indicative of superheroics, when other criteria is present

Eeeeeeeeeeeh. I'm gonna say no.

Because having to kill someone represents the ultimate failure of a hero. A superhero protects lives, unconditionally. If you have an asterisk next to a title of protector, it's not quite as meaningful.

Supervillains?

>being an unironic moralfag

>being incapable of understanding archetypes
SYO.

>being bound by archetypes
wew

>not respecting the responsibility shouldered by superheroic archetypes
You need to face the dragon, user.