His whole premise was on the joke:

His whole premise was on the joke:
"What if a person from REAL LIFE ended up on The Simpsons!?"

Why does everyone wanna make a whole big shit about it- that was the whole joke. Cartoons worlds are ridiculous and being a normal person inside one would drive you crazy, especially if you had no idea that you were in a cartoon world in the first place.

>especially if you had no idea that you were in a cartoon world in the first place.

huh. sometimes that's how I feel. that or the matrix.

>matrix
Hello 1999! Get fucking ready. 2001 is going to be a fucking bitch.

>Why does everyone wanna make a whole big shit about it- that was the whole joke.
People thought it was mean spirited at the time. Like it was the first instance on record of a creator taking a shot at the fans in their audience who posted on their usenet group.

What the fuck is your point? What did you think you were achieving by posting this? Did you actually think this wasn't evident to everyone from the beginning?

never got that feeling huh?
like SOMBODY'S WATCHIN' ME

>What if a person from REAL LIFE ended up on The Simpsons!?

He is not from real life, his life was too depressing.
Not even people who post on Sup Forums have lives that shitty.

For me, the problem is that there are a million ways to make this joke funny, but instead they played it as a straight drama. So the concept is funny, but the execution isn't.
It's not grating, it's just disappointing because when I watch the Simpsons, I want to laugh. The slow burn with barely any overt jokes in the entire plot works better for Larry David or someone like that.

It's the best-rated Simpson's episode of all time, but it's also the moment that Classic Homer became Jerkass Homer, and the show never recovered.

itt: simpsons jokes that you don't get

in b4 Sneed's

desu his life was pretty cartoony

>I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.
That's not exactly a situation someone from real life finds themselves in.

>Did you actually think this wasn't evident to everyone from the beginning?
>Sup Forums

>"Too cold and sterile, where's the heart?"

But Mr. Burns himself is cold, sterile, and heartless.

He's a normal person in a cartoony world. The circumstances are cartoony, but his reaction (despair, a seed to an ideology that he lives his life by, fosters resentment towards other people with better lives for less work as a violation of his ideology) is a realistic, understandable reaction to it. Compare to Lenny, who lives in a similar state of squalor and yet it's never mentioned outside of a single sight gag and has no bearing on his character whatsoever.

That's ridiculous. Nobody is watching us right now.

I really don't buy into the whole "frank grimes was meant to be a realistic person" thing. Especially considering how cartoonishly depressing his life was.

>I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley.

>he's realistic because of how he reacts to things

There's more to being a realistic character than just reactions. And anyhow, him going insane over one person by the end of the episode is in itself a cartoonish reaction.

for me, the joke wasn't that he was a real person in a cartoon world. that's definitely part of it, and something the writers talked about after the fact, but the real lesson from this episode for me is that sometimes, no matter how hard you try, no matter how seriously you take your life, no matter how many hardships and humiliations you endure, it will never get easier for you and, meanwhile, some idiot who doesn't give a shit about anything will just get lucky over and over and over again. there is no god, there is no cosmic justice. everything is random, and sometimes probability is simply not on your side. fairness is an illusion.

that's why it's my favorite simpsons episode.

This is pretty clearly what the whole idea was. Even if life hasn't been particularly cruel to you, seeing an incompetent oaf win every had he's ever dealt out of sheer luck- and especially if nobody else wants to acknowledge this- is exactly the sort of thing that would drive you to grab a pair of high voltage cables.

>moment that Classic Homer became Jerkass Homer, and the show never recovered.
The episode where Homer went out of his way to try to befriend Grimes

BECAUSE I'M HOME SNEE-

homer simpson
formely frank grimes

>Like it was the first instance on record of a creator taking a shot at the fans in their audience who posted on their usenet group.
No it fucking wasn't, the old Spielberg cartoons started doing that 5 years prior.

He's supposed to be homer's opposite, not someone from real life.