Does anyone else only really read old comics anymore?

Does anyone else only really read old comics anymore?

Pretty much any Marvel post-Civil War is unreadable (with a few exceptions), and DC post-Flashpoint is only occasionally interesting to me (Superman books, occasional miniseries, etc.).

But older shit from like the 80s/90s/2000s? I still LOVE that shit and there's so much of it that I'll really never run out of stuff to read.

I even might rarely on occasion read stuff from the 70s or earlier (though not often).

Fuck, the main reason I even still come to Sup Forums (aside from new releases) is old comics storytimes and discussion.

I'm playing catch-up with a lot of bronze-age Marvel and DC. The current dogshit era of Marvel really prompted it, as well as the New 52 era, though things are turning around slowly but surely at DC. Stern Spider-Man, Claremont X-Men, Byrne FF, Nocenti DD... all the stuff I've never gotten around to over the years. Fuck, it's good. I started reading the various versions of the Legion at DC bc I got pissed at them cancelling it on principle despite never having read it. I'm midway through the Levitz, Bierbaum, Peyer/McCraw and Threeboot eras and still have lots left to go and I LOVE it.

That's the great thing about comics I realized, even if the shit that's coming out at any given time, you can always dig into the past and find greatness. There's lots of obscure runs I'll be able to track down once I finish the big ones above, too.

The thing that really amazes me is all the indie publishers from the 80s. You almost never hear anybody talk about that era of indie comics anymore, but it was hands down THE best decade for indie comics. I've been able to find so much incredible stuff from that era that it just blows my mind.

That's really the best thing about the era od scans. Being able to read all this old stuff that's long out of print and in most cases was never even reprinted or collected in the first place.

First Comics is the absolute shit.

No, but I do vastly prefer older artwork due to it being much more simple and cleaner. Not only does it just plain look better, but it's also way easier to get out on time.

Like, I used to wonder why comics went from weekly to monthly. Then I realized that modern artwork is all manner of lines on cross hatching, and too much shading, and lines, and superfluous details, and lines, and lines... did I mention lines?

It's the equivalent of graphics in video games. There was this sudden leap in technology that let media look better, and everyone went absolutely apeshit overboard with it, and now we have these absurdly high end graphics that ultimately water down the main content of the product. It's fucking stupid.

Eclipse Comics is also really underrated.

Modern comics art in general is just garbage.

Jim Lee was a mistake. Everything is way too overcomplicated, samey, cluttered, it's overly expensive, takes too long, and frankly, looks like shit.

Take a look at the release schedule for most major webcomics, how a single person doing both art and writing can get the more or less the equivalent of a standard 22 page issue out in about a month. And what do all successful webcomics that work on the drip-feed model have in common? A simple, easy to crank out art style.

Publishers could easily go back to being weekly if they'd tone down the absurdly elaborate artwork that nobody asked for in the first fucking place.

Dreadstar and Nexus, goddamn.

The starts of TMNT and Usagi.

It was a hell of a time,

someone at my lcs said Katy Keene secretly had the best comic of all-time while we were discussing the Riverdale show
is this true? could someone storytime?

No it's not you moron.

This is post is also trash. Most comic art in general doesn't even look like you're describing.

You guys are living in past and jerking it off hardcore.

Nostalgia is poison senpai.

Nah. I'd say Sal Buscema and Rude have more talent than about 75% percent of all the artists in he current industry.

It's not just being simpler and cleaner. A lot of times they're able to tell a story coherently with their art. Even if sometimes it's bogged down with more prose than neccesary. There's a feeling I get in some comics where it seems like fundamentals are missing.

>Most comic art in general doesn't even look like you're describing.
Yeah, it really does. It's overcomplicated crap that focuses way too much on superfluous detailing, which makes it look cluttered and boring, leaving the colorist to pick up the slack to make anything pop.

>some of the best comic artists of all-time are some of the best comic artists of all-time

You're retarded. More often than not these days I'm seeing flat uninteresting backgrounds with no details in them.

I really only come to co for the cartoons but I would like to get into comic books. I've only read watchmen and persopolis but I would love to get into a series. Could you guys give me recommendations?

Gillen's Journey into Mystey, Fury: My War Gone By, Thunderbolts by Jeff Parker, Starlight by Millar, Human Target by Milligan, New Super-Man by Yang

The only thing I know about Katy Keene is that she likes to wear dresses

What a classy dame.

Honestly I don't read enough old comics. I've been meaning to get into more old newspaper strips for a long time now. But I still read so much new stuff it's hard to find time for anything else.

This was when I got into comics, was indeed an awesome time. There are still people who talk about the 90s indie publishers, the Valiant fanbase never died even before the relaunch happened and I even see Ultraverse and Chaos threads on here sometimes. But nobody remembers the stuff from that first wave, before Image.

Yep, no reason to waste money on mediocre new comics when there's decades of classics.

I can kind of understand how some people brought up on cinematic, "widescreen", decompressed modern comics might find some older things difficult to read, but I strongly recommend to anyone reading more and getting used to it, because a single issue of most 80's comics are more satisfying than 5 of a 10's comic. And I think you'd be surprised by how sophisticated most past stories are.

I storytime older classics on here a lot to try and get people to see what a huge history is out there.

Part of my problem with the 80's era is how many of the indie books were written like endless comic series yet they all seemed to sort of have a definitive narrative that petered off into nothing and then they just stopped. It hurts their memory. People shit on Cerebus, but part of what keeps that things memory alive is that the author ended the whole thing.

She escaped into the real world and is now a successful pop star.