Work on your art thread

My art is fucking shit and i need help drawing figures. Can someone give some tips on how to draw cartoons better?

Other urls found in this thread:

drawabox.com/
lesswrong.com/lw/8mh/drawing_less_wrong_technical_skill/
youtube.com/watch?v=c8s6Md4RXqg
youtube.com/watch?v=usj75M0UOIg
alexhays.com/loomis/
quickposes.com/en
vimeo.com/231474891
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do your figures look like now and what do you want them to look like?

I want them to look like this

But when i try to draw it looks like this

Draw more m8. You don't even have basic line control down yet and the only cure to that is practice. Draw sheets of circles and lines from the elbow and stop digging your pencil into the paper. This site might be a decent resource for your level: drawabox.com/
While you're at it, draw some actual 3D shapes, spheres, cuboids, and cylinders. Your art will be flat as fuck if you don't understand the underlying forms to figures. Don't just copy cartoons, study them and break down how they work.

You would want to work on line confidence and also basic shapes. Ruby Gloom can be broken down into a bunch of ovals and circles.

lesswrong.com/lw/8mh/drawing_less_wrong_technical_skill/

It's probably not the most popular website anyone would share, but it gives tips on how to make your lines flow more easily.

Also, look for the Cartoonist's Survival Guide. Can be found in ic's artbook thread.

Picked this ooold painting back up again.

Some donuts 1/4

This one has baby arms, he looks so ridiculous I might actually leave them like that.

3/4

4/4

stretch and play around with shape proportions. try drawing with a mouse in image editing software using nothing but the line tool. be deliberate with your lines and use as few as possible to get the design across. focus on strong silhouettes and negative space.

neat

Posting this again for critiques, specially for anatomy and/or lighting.

Pretty cool user. Anatomy's pretty on point, the most I could tell you to do is play with different angles and poses for the creatures.

Also, you a fan of Oddworld? I feel like its' art would be a good point of reference for the kind of stuff you're trying to do. Alien creatures designed with realism in mind, etc

If you say so. Thank you for the advice, I'll check out also Oddworld.

Here is another drawing I posted for critique.

Why don't you try posting that on /ic/ instead?

Always a pleasure to see you in these threads user

Posting this again for critiques

How the fuck do you get motivated? Everytime I start something lately I just feel like giving up.

The beginning is the hardest part. It's incredibly difficult to keep wanting to go forward when most of the canvas is still empty.

If you work digitally: It helps me to use a very thick brush for the early draft. It fills in the form faster and gets the idea on paper, so to speak. Once I see something to work with, I usually feel like I kinda have to keep going, because now I wanna see what the finished product will look like.

Watch stuff by Aaron Blaise, it will give you back the want to draw.

An example among many:
>youtube.com/watch?v=c8s6Md4RXqg

That was fun, what's a good artist who does this kind of stuff for human characters?

Blaise does that too, watch some of his other videos.
>youtube.com/watch?v=usj75M0UOIg

Ever tried Preston Blair?

This. And seeing how well my art friends draw, especially characters I like, just makes me feel like shit.

Draw more and practice drawing in 3D (it's what /ic/ calls "construction", pic related).
I checked out the drawabox tutorials earlier this year and really liked them, but they might be a bit too advanced. But you can always try.

Just finish paint fish people.Still struggling with skin tones and nose

Stylized stuff like this is often difficult to crit.

But her left foot looks really wonky and you should try a different approach to drawing it, also it's placed under the right leg, which looks strange. If you have it a bit further down the character gets a stronger sense of weight and depth.
The lineweight is also fairly boring although I like the cleanliness of it. Check the pic for ideas to improve it.
The navel isn't on the centre of the stomach.

And two opinions:
Unless you are going to colour it I strongly recommend adding more solid blacks. Perhaps the clothing or the circle could be a solid black?
The "L" hand's very different in style from the one on the ground. I prefer the one on the ground a lot, so I would try to remake the "L" hand to be in a more similar style.

WIP of comic

Why don't you say that to everyone else here?

Did a thing for the Obscure Waifu thread

Now a ship design.

Are you atomickingboo?

I think im too lazy for gud art
THICKERR

bump

my thing's not done yet

What about loomis though?

alexhays.com/loomis/

quickposes.com/en

I heard THICC

I call shenanigans, that's pretty good

That's thick in the wrong way. Everything but the thighs is going for a realistic look where as the thighs are catoonish.

did a little OC in paint.net because I was bored. need a name for her. i'm not the best with hands.

obligatory____.

how about this?

Patty Pascetti

OP here. I drew this with a mouse.

But we're going with Patty Pascetti, right?

I guess. Maybe as her nickname.

Have some shitty photos of a character I like to doodle in my free time.

Also, a random farmer frog I drew for no reason in particular. I imagine that he grows lilly pads for distribution all throughout Frog world.

I recently started working on a new series of comics. This is a drawing of the main characters.

Fuck, here it is.

Thanks man. I needed a win today

finished the drawing I was working on from the last thread. Tried to add more stuff in the background so the beach wasn't so vacant.

i just made a short little animated music video:

vimeo.com/231474891

check it out if you can!

pretty gud user, you got most of that retro-laser feel

That's sweet dude. Reminds me a lot of my stuff.

You ink much?

Thank you. I sometimes ink, though I'm trying to go digital as of late. I just haven't been able to make anything presentable. I'll get the hang of it eventually though.

OP here. Decided her name is Patricia Pescatelli. People call her Patty Pascetti to her chagrin.

>vimeo.com/231474891

Damn user, that's pretty fucking sweet. The cut out art and crazy color palette gives off a sense of oddness that I just love.

Cool, keep at it. I'm pretty much in the same boat. What software are you working with?

Illustrator and Photoshop. My laptop is shit and it takes an eternity for either to load. How about you?

I posted a Mortica

Mainly Photoshop, but my PC's crap too. Thinking of opting for a pirated version since creative cloud is way too fucking expensive. Here's a shitposty thing I did last year in illustrator

Whipped this up. Just a shocked Patty.

Everyone I've talked to has said to just pirate it. I got the suite as a thing for college, but I'd agree that it's too expensive. Do what you think is best.

Another Hattson for the few people in the thread. Remember to always practice!

I love the old time cartoon look of this guy.

Cheers on the advice man.

Anyway, time to dump. I like this drawing, but I feel like I can't use this as a character. It's too similar to Zorak and also those guys from Rick and Morty.

It Hurts fanart

>I call shenanigans
well im not lying im a pretty uninspired artist, thanks tho
THICKERRRR

every idea's been done to some degree user, what matters is how you present your take on it.

What is she reaching out too?

looks like a boob

not bad, I love the creases and the way you drew the legs

>tfw you could've had more than 4 followers if only you had the confidence to upload stuff

just draw stuff and upload it regardless. if you're in it for followers and popularity, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

how's my sponge, Sup Forums?

in my case it's more like if only i actually bothered to upload anything. i don't really care though. online fandoms suck the fun out of art anyway.

dont know that feel, I dont pander to fandoms in any way so no one cares about me

What a productive day of drawing

Anime is a poison

You would be correct.

you still suck

as opposed to ugly marvel style, amirite?

kyw senpai

fuck

Loomis motherfucker
Your faces lack depth and substance

what?

what do you think of this ?

Bump

because /ic/ is mean

is the word "bump" outlawed now?

your coloring and form is pretty good. but please for the love of God, fix that linework.

Cummy on tummy

I just realized I've been using solid colors and lines this whole time while literally nobody else does. What brush / opacity settings should I be using? I tried copying the settings of some artists on youtube but I can never get it to look right. I feel like my art always looks childish compared to everyone elses.

there's nothing wrong with flat colors and cell shading, friendo.

Yeah but nobody else uses it