JSA Storytime: Omega the Unknown

Good evening owls,

A little more poetry for your lives

Other urls found in this thread:

audkoch.com/cyclical
mobile.twitter.com/JohnByrneSays
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

TIME FOR GREG

Hohoho. I'm here on time for a change (but will have to abandon thread for pizza)

awww yeah we pirate hat now

(we're reading these two issues because they're in the Omega the Unknown pack I downloaded, even if they're not Gerber)

>I understand the desire to wipe out all the fools who make life a drag

Man, Nighthawk is going to be pissy when he finds out everyone else gets to be in movies and TV shows.

Hello, Storyteller.

All I know about the Defenders is that one issue where everyone was inexplicably really fat due to the fucked art style.

>implying we even remember you, it's been so long

I have such a soft spot for aesthetically-oriented villains

IS Ed Hennigan a pseudonym?

Hulk is the Kirby character this issue

Hey, it's not like I'm Cranky or the OP is a fig newton guy.

That's SECRET Defenders, user. A series from the 90's that had a rotating cast let by Doctor Strange, than Thanks for a few issues, and then Doctor Druid.

Feel free to ask if anyone has any Defenders-related questions.

nah he's a writer/artist. apparently designed best brainiac?

nope, but I wonder if Steve was involved at all? I don't know this period of Marvel

>apparently designed best brainiac?

The one robot skellington Brainiac is showing us on that screen? The one that wants pants?

Amber continues to be best girl.

>Lunatik
Oh yeah, that's a character who exists. Didn't he have this weird fairy friend?

this is still so relevant, lol

(skipped an ad, I wanna do two issues)

Hey thread gotta link this because lol who else do I talk about comics with and it might just be aesthetically perfect

audkoch.com/cyclical

The composition is unbelievably good. Cranky please argue with me about this because I just wanna talk about how good every fucking page of it is.

That kid is 100% going to use that pool toy as a fuck mattress.

Robot Skellington Brainiac . also created Clock and Dagger

>random Indian lore guide with your beef snacks

Foolkiller always seems to punch above his weight.

Beats up the Defenders, ends up in an asylum, ends up working for Deadpool, what a life

Truly, the internet has empowered people to go on self indulgent rants like nothing ever before it.

I feel like even at that point, well after the Cowboy Boom, that cheap cardboard spinner still sold a lot of (I presume delicious) meat snacks.

>Cranky, please argue with me about this
There's nothing to argue about, it's a reasonably well executed short story with nice art.

... You guys know I do actually like stuff, right? Hell, I stick up for Maria Hill of all characters. I don't hate for the sake of it.

"He's not boring!"

>The Nine Divines are boring. Daedra are never boring.

(despite a reinstall, I still have my 137 hour game of Oblivion)

That's a pretty good Valkyrie costume, way better than the titty armor swimsuit

this is 100% my aesthetic

the boot tops on it are kinda Kirby

The panel breakdown is superb. Also is that Maria Hill thread yours, seriously?

Yeeg, How is Greg alive after this?

Val's a 10 tonner.

Happy 100th.

>Secret Empire is total garbage
OP BTFO
Seriously OP, what were your actual expectations? Did anyone here honestly expect anything other than "fascism is bad guise" narrative.

I wish I could remember why she switched costumes. I think Clea gave it to her?

Fuck, I'm doing a bad job at remembering my Defenders.

he's a lucky fool

Greg threw himself into bags of garbage over and over until he had the resilience to stand up to even superhumans. Just like Kurt.

I was kind of expecting him to fix Zemo more than he has, given the Standoff stuff and how he's talked about Born Better etc.

:(

"You let one loser with a gun beat you all?"

Just be glad you got Steve and Helmut's schoolboy adventures.

Honestly one should not expect anything from editorially mandated storylines.

I'm super-curious about what was mandated and what the original plans were, on this one.

>mfw I remember what ends up happening to him

mobile.twitter.com/JohnByrneSays

This is amazing.

Secret Empire didn't really turn out to be what I expected based solely on Spencer's Cap run

It's always to be appreciated when panels seemlessly transition to one another. I feel like not enough artists or writers put enough thought into the technical aspects of comics, and that's how you get sloppy pages that are really hard to follow. Or panels that are way bigger than they should be because the dialogue is poorly spread out or overly verbose. Probably part of the reason why the otherwise clinical 9x9 layout is appreciated, cause despite being kind of factory setting, it's at least easy to follow.

>Also is that Maria Hill thread yours, seriously?
Is that even remotely surprising?

Dumb phoneposter

Secret Empire would probably have been vastly better if it had been a crossover between Cap-adjacent books instead of a big event

this is what seems to happen regularly--something meant for two books gets tapped to be linewide and the results are mediocre at best. You'd think they'd learn after the SCALE IT UP! approach fails so many times...

They're all lying faggots, no doubt about it but I actually think there wasn't going to be alternate universe shenanigans in the original pitch at least, since that's the point Spencer seemed most proud of, the fact that he "ruined" the Captain America but editors and upper management shit their pants with the internet outrage. Shouldn't have tried to write a stupid story desu if you didn't want Cap equated with nazis.

the author of the previous nuclear take that fascists didn't target groups by birth has an expanded version but I haven't had the self-hatred to read it yet

BTW I don't actually have Defenders #77

lol whoops

this one doesn't end with dancing toasters

what's out this week?

> Greenpeace

What, no shit posting about this?

ur moms sex tape lmao

People need to be willing to treat the panel and empty space as part of the page. It's one of the most effective tools you have in a comic, up there with sound effects for abstractions that really let you play with the format.

So much of what I love in comics, when I look at it, is the sequencing and how you try to show a three dimensional world in images through that.

Darkseid and Black Racer Special!

oh, you

Black Racer and Shilo Norman special by Hudlin, lol

Secret Copoutpire

>and now, if you weren't reading the series

REMEMBER FEAR ITSELF?!

>Black Racer and Shilo Norman special by Hudlin, lol

The ways these have been...I actually have hope

See, this is what I was ranting about before. I do not, nor will I ever, see the appeal of Savage Hulk. The Hulk is fairly entertaining when he's y'know, an actual character. It's dramatic and funny when the extremely powerful musclebound behemoth fucks off and says "Well fine, I didn't wanna be in your stupid club anyway!".

The lack of any of that is why both solo Hulk movies were failures.

5th week, heck all.

>greatest NON-TEAM in history
uh, gee... thanks

and it's the last week, so fucking nothing

Can I forget it instead?

Fear Itself, SIXIS, Infinity we know all the Thanos shit was mandated, etc.

Wasn't even Seekrit Invasion meant to be a Bendisvengers thing?

Wew boy, I can't believe someone gets paid (or at least published) for articles like that.

It's levels of holier-than-thou I can't even fully get.

All the best Hulk stories like PAD's run and Planet Hulk feature a more intelligent Hulk too.

since you took one for the team can you summarize it for us all

Dat Quinjet tho. I miss when like every superhero and superhero team had their own signature vehicles. It just made sense, y'know? Now everything is teleporters and crap, which is visually boring, and artistically lazy.

>not being able to tell gimmick anons apart

leave now while you still can

RUBY TUESDAY

That was her in Omega being all head-tentacle COMICS

To be fair, Savage Hulk DOES have a character. He's unrestrained Id, or a child with the strength to crack the world.
He's kind of dumb, but at the same time he has his own desires and likes that mean you can work and maybe even rationalize with him.

"Fascism =/= Nazism" and "minority groups can still be prejudiced" I guess, but honestly IDK. I don't know that you'd pass it as a HS essay.

Yeah, PAD's Hulk: The End was Banner desperately trying to convince Savage Hulk to just let him die, and failing.

>Now everything is teleporters and crap, which is visually boring, and artistically lazy.

I made this point more times than I can think of during my storytimes.

Stories about Nazis: bad
Stories about fascists: okay?

Has anyone here read any Lion Forge Catalyst comics?

(I read a WaPo comics column puff piece on it but still haven't looked at an actual book)

My Cranky Detector is pointing towards this post as being from him, because he loves to start with a "Fuck You:"

that's 100% Cranky, yeah

ILU Cranky, you know that, right?

It's like:
>Stories which have relevance to real life fascism: bad
>Stories which don't have relevance to real life fascism: good
>And anyway Nightwing isn't Nazi OR nondescript fascist

But honestly when you take a whole paragraph in your article just for:
>Comics Discourse, you see, is confused.
I'm fucking done.

With modern artists though, you're just gonna get a blatantly traced toy or movie model or something. Also, that leaves less room for TALKING HEADS and TWO PAGE ACTION SPREADS

Oh shit I might have to actually read it now just for someone being unintentionally hilarious about Discourse

I feel like cool vehicles are yet another casualty of modern artwork. It's just so costly and time consuming to draw all this over complicated crap, that anything that isn't exposition or combat has to be excised just to get the book out on time.

I'm convinced that comics could easily go back to being weekly if publishers simplified the art for their books.

and no one wants to try to elegantly plot transit into their stories, there's not enough room for two-page spreads of people fightposing at each other

Is it an artist issue or a script/editorial/deadline issue? Like this person has done some issues for Marvel: they weren't anything special. But if someone can do that, why are you making them work with a colorist and to strict scripting, right?

I love that Deodato page from New Avengers with the snowspeeder. It's easy to throw out when people talk about him being lazy.