Watch pic related for the first time since I was 16 or 17, didn't remember much from the first viewing

>watch pic related for the first time since I was 16 or 17, didn't remember much from the first viewing
>become wonderfully entranced by its uncanny deconstruction of sexuality and emotional intimacy, revealing how supremely and universally discomforting it is for everybody and the lengths with which we go to try and understand, reconcile or ignore that reality
>look up what people have to say about it online
>everything is just "MUH ILLUMINATI" nonsense

why are people so fucking stupid? do people just not understand metaphor?

good goy

They killed Kubrick because of this movie. Q predicted this.

There is a deep amount to explore at that level, but ignoring the purposeful symbolism in film related to mysticism and masons means you're shutting out plenty of what is also there in the film.

I'm sorry but do you sincerely believe that a film where basically every single scene has sexual relationships portrayed in various negative lights and contexts is secretly about the fucking jews or secret societie mason bullshit?

The huge sex orgy is a plot element, not a thematic one you invalids. There's literally one line of dialogue that makes a reference to the elite or whatever the fuck. The rest of it is about sex and relationships. How do people not see this?

Metaphors are lazy film making tho. If you want to make a point do it in a small dialogue not the entire fucking movie.
Metaphors, analogies and references are brainlet shit

I'm not ignoring that symbolism, I'm just saying that it's very clearly metaphorical. It's not supposed to be a fucking documentary.
christ this board is shit.

The movie is a cautionary tale of the disastrous effects of infidelity, and a breakdown of the eroticism of cheating on a husband or wife. It shows that we all covet sex outside of our marriages, but it is best to keep these flirtations with infidelity as they are. You should give up your inquiries and go home. There's nothing worth cheating for, as much as the idea may intoxicate. They are thankful at the end that their marriage survives, not that they survived the sex cult. If anyone's takeaway is that "It's about the Jews" then I don't have words for their idiocy.

I mean it's not some symbolic guidebook like Holy Mountain, but just saying that those themes are metaphorical really means nothing to diminish their importance and prominence as a consciously crafted thematic element, and there absolutely is just as much to discuss in that realm as their are the subversive romantic elements, or the somnambulic quality throughout the film, or whatever aspect you care for. In fact, those elements are arguably contained within the greater symbolic framework Kubrick set up in the movie.

I know you say there's only one line of dialogue alluding to the elite, and that it's all about the Jews or whatever, and both points are pretty wrong. The first is incorrect because much of the symbolic imagery is just that, subtle cues and references bubbling just under the surface. This isn't to say that you must indeed believe the intimations of meaning these things have, but it's very safe to say Kubrick was aware of these elements and also putting them into the film.

The second is wrong because, as you corrective intuit, that's a very stupid, clumsy, and badly focused interpretation, and besides that it's actually much deeper than some sort of conspiratorial nonsense.

It is you who do not see goyim.

Most people who think this movie is about the Illuminati are virgins who have never been in a relationship.

>Metaphors, analogies and references are brainlet shit
finally someone says it

>there are actually people on a board about an artform who think this way

wrong it's about DA JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

yea you'd have to be retarded to think that a movie with a secret society having a giant satanic orgy would have anything to do with the illuminati

I'd agree as far as saying that it suggests how that inclination towards infidelity is always present though I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a "cautionary tale" since I don't think it offers any kind of solution. The ending is pretty bleak to me since they're essentially just choosing to ignore the reality of their crumbling sense of intimacy and how any "security" there now is in their relationship is pretty flimsy but whatever.
>but just saying that those themes are metaphorical really means nothing to diminish their importance and prominence as a consciously crafted thematic element
I'm not trying to diminish their importance, but trying to ascribe any literal significance to their inclusion just seems so off the mark to me. The film is so blatantly making a parallel between the idea of conspiratorial secret societies lurking below the surface and nefariously dictating and meddling with society, with the reality of sex and that deeply ingrained desire to "fuck" doing basically the same thing. The movie is about the latter idea, being articulated through the former one, and yet 90% of the discussion I see online is about how he was trying to take down the hollywood elite or whatever the fuck. The fucking orgy scene is unsettling yet borderline comical. If anything it seems to be making fun of the fact that even the people who ostensibly control society are still fucking weird about sex.

And you'd have to be retarded to think that the movie is "about" a secret society having a giant satanic orgy.

What about the pair of old guys that are stalking his family?

kys pseud

>I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a "cautionary tale" since I don't think it offers any kind of solution
The solution is to accept that everybody has those thoughts, but that not acting on them is the solution. They accept that both of them had a struggle with remaining faithful, but they decide by the end to stick together. Whether the ending is bleak or not, I can't say for certain. But the last line of the movie is Kidman saying that they need to bang again, so it seems that the intimacy isn't gone and that they've gotten past the issue.

Didn't watch this movie for years because I thought it was an emotionless conspiracy movie thanks to Rob Ager. I'm glad I finally watched it and that it was interesting on an emotional level

I disagree that the film actually has a message. What Kubrick was really great at was showing what humanity is like in a cold and distanced way. If you think it's a cautionary tale then that is simply what your reaction was from being shown what people are like (in this case what happens when they let the temptation win). Another could take this as a message that monogamous relationships are unnatural or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your last point, but I'd be careful with using phrases like "it is best to" and "You should" when it comes to Kubrick. That's why I love his films. Show the cold hard truth to people, and let them interpret it without giving them your own opinion on the matter. I think he learned this after making and regretting Fear and Desire, in which the message was verbalised.

Jews? You mean like Stanley Kubrick?

Not an argument
Yes, Metaphors aren't clever deep or necessary to make a point. It's lazy film making, especially if the director go out of his way to make them obtuse

metaphor is basically the only way you can make a point without being reductively didactic you imbecile. Nearly all art is metaphor, like half of all language is metaphor, you're probably thinking of symbolism.

In fairness there's a fair bit of illuminati stuff in there too. But you're right, it's a movie that explores sexualities.

You're the one that's stupid if you think Kubrick's films only work on the level *you* see them on.

Art doesn't need to have a point in the first place you brainlet.

It's not about Jews or Illuminati. One part of it is simply "suggesting" ie exposing secret societies/occultism among the elite. It is a fact that some of these people are into this stuff, and obviously Kubrick was aware. I agree that the occult stuff overshadows some of the other themes though.

Yeah, I agree with that. I believe that Kubrick wants us to make our own assertions off of human nature though. He presents us as we are and allows us to form opinions without his subjective thoughts to guide us.

It's another /Good Boy General/