Which is better?

Be honest

Bojack.

Bojak, but that's not really saying anything though they're both shit

R&M s1 > B s1. Then, B s2 s3 > R&M s2 s3

Rick and Morty is more creative when it tries, but Bojack actually builds up to its emotional moments, whereas it seems far too forced in R&M

Trick question they are both terrible.

Don't mind me, just doing what they regularly attempt better than they did decades before them.

They have the same exact audience.
Never met a fan of one that didn't also love the other.
>Do you have Netflix??????????
>If you like Rick and Morty, you'd LOVE Bojack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick and Morty.

Bojack's pretty good though.

bojack for emotional investment, better characters and an all around good entertaining show.

rick and morty has shittier writing ( still not bad imo, actually pretty good ) but i watch it more wacky adventures not for the bullshit philosophical commentary that's literally muh nihilism muh god doesn't exist that people jerk off to

Depends on what you are looking for in the show. For me it's Bojack.

Bojack. It's better written. But both of them are fine to me.

Does this comparison even work? Duckman is pretty much a everyday dude and Bojack is famous and rich (which is important to the character and the show) and Rick is smart and wacky science guy (which is also important to the character and the show).

they're both about cynical, depressed middle-age guys trying to cope with what they've lost and their own psychological issues aka being a dick

Bojack, Rick and Morty has zero emotional depth.

bojack

the first r&m season was objectively better than season 3 bojack though

Bojack. It's just a more human show. Besides Bojack has been steadily (through his massive array of errors and wins) become a better person.

He's not just a grumbling dissatisfied Millionaire anymore. He's started pursuing his acting ambitions, he's got a daughter he doesn't know about, he's starting to care about friends.

Rick is the same drunk and reckless bitter asshole genius he was in episode 1

Bojack's narrative gets repetitive, and can come across as pretentious and unrealistic. The character will reiterate their problems thirty plus times, which is part of the theme of never really changing but the reason you don't see it much in media is because it gets stale. If you don't connect to the narcissistic, depressed main character and his inability to rise to the occasion it can be rough to get through it over and over and over. It's a character piece. It's entirely character driven. If you don't connect to the characters and give them a lot of leeway it's a complete miss.

R&M has less THIS IS WHY I'M SAD LET ME EXPLAIN AGAIN writing and themes themes, and it's more tongue in cheek. The themes are explored weekly and usually don't return for more than two eps, it isn't as heavy but has recurring themes underlying the show. You don't have to connect to the narcissistic depressed main character in order to enjoy it, and you don't have to think about the realism of his actions.

R&M's written better objectively, which is probably why everyone and their fucking mother loves it and it's popularity is why Sup Forums spergs out when people unironically enjoy it. But I like them both equally.

I'd say Bojack, but I wouldn't be able to be objective about it, since I greatly dislike R&M.

I disagree, Bojack is for GenX, Rick and Morty is for millenials.

Bojack, easily.

And I'm not one of these fags who dedicates their entire existence to ripping on R&M, Bojack is just an objectively better show.

Fuck you! Bojack is universal

>R&M's written better objectively

Are we watching the same show? It's the writing around mid season 2 and onwards that's Rick and Morty's Achilles heel.

Season 1 and 2 Bojack > Season 1 RnM > Season 2 RnM > Season 3 Bojack > Season 3 RnM so far.

Why are they both so fucked anyway? Is it mental illness? They should form a pack of sudoku.

The biggest difference between the shows is that BH benefits for going delving into the dark and depressing while R&M suffers for it.

Bojack by far

>R&M
S1 > S2 > S3

>Bojack
S2 > S1 > S3

Escape From L.A. > Love Potion #9
Let's Find Out > Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind

This.

Mid life crisis is not universal until you have had one yourself.

I agree with that since I can recall just 2 episodes from Bojack's season 3

I prefer existential sci-fi humor to celebrity references and animal puns, but I think Bojack has a much stronger idea of what to do with character development when it wants to be taken more seriously.

Rick and Morty have had their emotional moments but they've become so completely irredeemable as people that a lot of the emotional drama rings hollow for me as of late. Like Rick telling off Jerry for sleeping with his daughter in high school when he's literally committed multiple cases of slavery and mass genocide.

Although I agree with you in some way, I think everything you just wrote only applies if we compare Rick and Morty and Bojack's season 3.

Rick and Morty, season 3 has been a bit rough, but its still miles better than Bojack ever was. Bojack is a mediocre cartoon with """sad""" and """literally me""" moments to trick people into thinking its good

BoJack has a million tiny details that only make sense in retrospect (Emily cameo in S1, Jogger monkey's wife, BoJack greeting Herb with "get cancer"). I've only seen like four R&M episodes but I don't see that kind of craft and forethought

Rick and Morty

>Emily cameo in S1
Was there? I don't recall.

When Todd's talking about how his girlfriend dumped him in S1E4 for getting addicted to videogames. It's her, hair, clothes, and all. Then she's introduced in S3 as an ex

I'm a big fan of R&M (although only a regular fan of Season 3) but I don't like Bojack.

Although I'm something of an exception. I simply don't like dramas in general. Not as a hard rule or anything, but they always feel so boring to me.

i'm 31 and i like both shows. several of my friends like R&M, but no one i know watches both.

Different genres, equally enjoyable.

I'm twenty-three, and I like both shows for different reasons.

I think I'm enjoying R&M season three less than the previous seasons, but it might just be the internet hivemind getting to.

I think the two are quite different, but I'd probably say I like Bojack just a little bit more.

different genres, similar character themes

Rick and Morty has more creative worlds, and has some fantastic gags

However, Bojack can actually build emotional moments without swiping them away from you for anti-cathartic humor

What I'm saying is that be extremely sceptical everytime a character shows an ounce of compassion in the former show.

Moral Orel

my figga!

I like Rick and Morty better because I'm into comedy, but Bojack is amazing when it comes to drama. It depends on what you want in a cartoon.

Rick and Morty's emotional moments are incredibly cheap and forced as FUCK. Bojack manages to be funny and emotional at the same time, while still also poking fun at how ridiculous it is.

Rick and Morty is just a funny show with Harmon jacking himself off over how miserable he is every other episode.

Hi Pan

Someone post the art of the "Bojack Rickman" fusion I can't find it to save my fucking life.

Only a very select few episodes get emotional in Duckman, but the ones that do are really great.

this

Which is a better character or which is a better person?

A wearily unfunny sitcom that only turns interesting for the last three episodes and even then only by being emotionally manipulative in a repetitive way that gets grating and hard to sympathize with after the first time.
vs
A comedy that relies on a lot of shock humor that loses its edge after the hundredth time and is full of vague, self-righteous, self-deprecating diatribes that almost always revolve around the fact that the characters are written inconsistently.

Rick and Morty. It wore out quick, but it was funny while it was still something new. I like when Bojack is trippy (be it drug trip or self-pity trip) and someone's spiraling out of control, but when they try to touch ground for an emotional landing, if you ask me they don't stick it. And it does very little of that, being a bore most of the time.

I love Duckman enough to watch it completely multiple times, but I never really felt like it handled its dramatic elements as successfully as Bojack Horseman. Not to say it handled them badly, just that it was a different type of show with different goals in mind.

Written better wouldn't be the term. Rick and Morty is more accessible, but Bojack is more ambitious and more skillfully handled. It gets annoying if the theme of "irredeemable fuckup" doesn't connect with you, or if you prefer lighter things, but that doesn't reflect quality.

BoJack by leaps and bounds. It's funnier, the characters aren't just bland caricatures, and Will Arnett is s treasure.

That kind of goes without saying considering that Bojack hasn't destroyed the entire planet yet.

Have you not watched Rick and Morty since S1? The Mad Max episode was literally just them complaining about their problems as loud as possible.

Rick is worse than Hitler for reasons that are entirely his own fault and really has no regrets about it.

Bojack is also a terrible person, but he hasn't raped entirely planets. He's a ridiculous cartoon character, but he's still far more sympathetic and realistic than Rick.

BoJack, by a mile.

>yfw Sarah Lynn's videoclip in S1 is filmed in a planetarium

What is it with everyone shitposting this show all of a sudden? I've never heard of it before

Bojack no question. Rick and Morty is just a reddit meme show with on real depth or character development beyond 'hahahahaha, the crazy scientist is a sociopath!'

t. Sup Forumsntrarian

Bojack is genuinely good and you know it.

Both are cringey as fuck

The irony of all the people coming in just to say how bad both shows are is that they embody the message that both shows are all about.

which episode was this?

I want to say when she was first introduced.

Bojack is fucking amazing.

You're right.

Also, "the only drug I need is horse".

bojack questions the meaning of life v hedonism. rick and morty questions religioun v science, which is not post modern at all. rick and morty is fine, but bojack is the clear winner

This.
R@M sticks to the status quo and relies on way more shock humor and crude gags than it does character arcs or situational laughs.

This is just a difference in taste. R&M is an adult swim stoner cartoon that relies on the same humor as Mr. Pickles and Superjail, so it's themes will be lighter. Bojack aims to be a sitcome and pay special attention to all of the characters and what they have to say.

I don't think R&M suffers from it's theme but it only uses them as filler/fluff to make the show seem deep, while the main focus is it's edgy gorey shock value. What I noticed was particular about the show is every character in R&M exist only as a sorta mannequin to set up jokes and exist to orbit around the narcissism that is Rick, none of them really exist on their own or independent of him. Whereas for Bojack it's own themes and characters are the entire focus in itself.

Rick is Morty might touch on religion v science, but it's not what the show is all about. I see a lot more about "what really IS a healthy relationship? A helahy lifestyle?" With different perspectives and lives and cultures and mindsets that all have different ways to be what they call good. Rick's perspective is that he doesn't see himself as belonging to any one universe or one race or one culture, so he views it all from the outside.

Bojack is legitimately one the most boring manipulative garbage fires to be created in the last few years. Unmitigated garbage.

The other has some good moments although few and far between, so it wins.

Don't forget Rick's sacrifice at the end of S2 being completely undone in the span of one episode so they can go back to the status quo and run with LE PICKLE RIIIIIICK.

>t. someone who hasn't gotten past episode 5 of Bojack

all im going to say is bojack follows schopenhauer where rick and morty follows something else. im too drunk to debate. someone else do this

I don't understand how anyone can come away from watching R&M with this impression.
What I see is that Rick is an asshole in every culture and because of this, it's forced as hell when the show tries to make him sympathetic.

>>t. someone who hasn't gotten past episode 5 of Bojack

>Someone who likes emotionally manipulative bullshit because it makes them feeeeeeeel.

Which is a shame, because I though that was going to be the potential turnaround for his character. The guy who's ditched his entire universe for a new one finally stops running and thinks about someone other than himself.

Maybe it was the original idea behind that scene at some point, but I guess the pressure to get back to regular episodic adventures won out in the end.

>Someone who likes emotionally manipulative bullshit because it makes them feeeeeeeel.

Actually, that's R&M. Bojack builds up to its emotional moments while R&M shoves them in your face and tries to make asshole characters sympathetic.

I mean yeah but you're writing that off a simplicity and a con without asking yourself how that effects the show or why. Rick is an asshole because the show takes a direct and intentionally tactless look at who all the people and places they go to are. If you tip toe around it and respect everything you get Star Trek, a show that while loved is often accused of getting repetitive. Rick and Morty do similar A>B>C story archs of discovery>conflict>resolution but they cut out the "let's try to understand them" and replace it with "Rick already understands them, let's skip to calling them out and a resolution".

>Actually, that's R&M. Bojack builds up to its emotional moments while R&M shoves them in your face and tries to make asshole characters sympathetic.

No dumbass. R&M has at least managed to be funny between its attempts at bullshit.
Bojack is just garbage.

Todd doing Mazda commercials when his voice actor started doing them was legitimately funny, come on.

Ah, okay, I see. We're not arguing against one another then. Carry on

FPBP

Objective truth

BoJack

Love both, but Bojack is better

Rick and Morty WAS the better comedy, and Bojack was the better drama. Bojack's quality has stayed more or less the same.

Then halfway through the second season of R&M, they decided to make it a marital drama and man did it not work. When the show tries to just be a goofy sci fi comedy, it's great. But every time it switches to drama it sucks.

Bojack is trying to be deep, but the fans only see "hurr durr its a horse so its just a dark comedy"

Rick and Morty isn't trying to be deep, but the fans only see "hurr durr rik say mean thing so it deep"

Sup Forums is stupid

Bojack's third season fell really flat for me, I hope the new season picks up a bit, but I love the first two seasons. Its emotional moments are really good, even if the humor can be hit or miss. Rick and Morty's "deep" moments come off a bit too tryhard, but the comedy is amazing and it's highly rewatchable. I also don't hate the latest season as much as Sup Forums does.

>Thinking Rick and Morty has better writing after PICKLEEEE RIIIIIICK!

That's a solid opinion

I'm not shitposting with it.

It's just this is the first example of a western cartoon that blended dark comedy and drama really well, and it doesn't get any attention from the mainstream media.

It got canned for being too dark and depressing for adult swim

Bojack, because it doesn't play the depression and nilhilsm for laughs. It takes serious issues seriously and still manages to be funnier than Rick and Morty.

Rick and Morty also has a similar problem to Family Guy in that all the characters have been unbelievable sociopathic assholes at one point or another, and it's played off for laughs. Bojack actually shows the pressures all the characters are under to make the bad decisions that they do, and shows the emotional and physical consequences. It's very much a show about regret, where R&M is about wacky hijinks.

Duckman is fucking kino. I wouldn't say it's directly better than Bojack but Bojack and R&M are very much taking the same idea and running with it in different directions.

Yes. Both shows are about how reality fucking sucks and getting up in the morning to put your face in the reaping machine every day can be more difficult than people really want to think about. They're far more thematically similar than Bojack and R&M are, at any rate.

It's very good, the first season pushes the saccharine, christian good-boy to an almost annoying limit but the first season finale really sets the tone of things to come. Highly recc.

>The character will reiterate their problems thirty plus times, which is part of the theme of never really changing but the reason you don't see it much in media is because it gets stale.

SO DOES LIFE

Life
Life
Life