Cel animation effect

Is there a way to recreate the visual effect/style of cel animation? There's a drawing I've been working on that i feel would look good with the effect and me and my friends have been wondering how to recreate it.

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerbacon.deviantart.com/art/Peg-again-671396261
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We would have taken you more seriously if you had posted a Sup Forums image.

Make it into a transparent GIF and put it over your background.

some cartoons do subtle drop shadows to have a cel animation look, like simpsons around season 16 and looney tunes show

What an original shitpost.

Why are Japanese the only ones doing classic cell animation nowadays? It ends up looking miles better than any digital shit that you would see on CN and such.
Are all those Western CalArts rejects simply too lazy to actually draw instead of moving shit around in Toon Boom?

They pay animators less and they have more art short cuts.

Most western animation is either outsourced to Korea (Including the North, read Guy Delisle's Pyongyang for a good look at that and the country in general) or done in simple Flash like animation programs to keep costs down. Cell animation simply isnt the most viable for making a profit.

Idk how to explain it to you but Japan doesn't use cel animation anymore either.

Those arn't cels you fucking moron.

Because they pay their hard working animators a fucking pittance. So the budget is (sometimes) there for it. Don't be fooled though, Anime is fast becoming digital as fuck. In 50 years time we traditional hand drawn and painted animation fans will be the sad hipster clinging to the pasts technology like those faggots who claim vinyl is superior and work exclusively in SLR photography.

You can do a lot of things when you pay your animators sweatshop fees.

To be fair, cgi can do detail far better than hand drawn ever code. In the end your debate will be closer to missing the warmth of certain filming devices rather than the vinyl argument.

fuck off already Sup Forums

I've always loved the look of these. If I had complete control over my own cartoon, the whole thing would look like this.

You literally can't. Nobody can post an example of a digital painted image that looks like what you posted, it doesn't exist.

>missing the warmth of certain filming devices
With color grading being a thing I don't see how that would be a problem.

Post an example.

Why not though? If the images can be displayed/stored digitally, why can they not be reproduced? Or is it one of those things where nobody has invested the time to see how it can be done?

>Or is it one of those things where nobody has invested the time to see how it can be done?

I'm going to go with this (if that's even the case). The idea that the left is possible but making new cartoons look like old ones isn't seems a stretch. More like a problem most animation made today doesn't see/care about.

Yeah I think it's the drop shadow and simulated noise.

This is just a fanart, not a screencap from the new 1080p version of this show.

that looks quite nice

Should have posted it with the original filename: rogerbacon.deviantart.com/art/Peg-again-671396261

Oh, it could be reproduced if you put in enough work, wouldn't even take that long if an animator was dedicated.

Problem is, companies don't want the 'old' aesthetic, that turns people off, they want the 'new' look.

You call that frame by frame animation or classical 2d. Drawings are not painted into cells anymore, ink and paint is all digital.

Fir very simple designs it works, but imagine Voltron for example in 3d. Rigging in many poses fail in tv 3d animation because its a pretty standard rigging with limitations of how you can move them, while you don't have that problem with hand drawn (if it's drawn by someone who knows their shit, like Mir studio)

That's not 'cell animation' you massive retard, that's a fucking story board. It's called cel animation because each frame is drawn on transparent celluloid sheet so it can be layered on top of other cels and a background, then a picture is taken of it to make a frame. God, how can this board be filled with people that don't know the most basic shit about animation. Is like going to /tg/ when all you know is how to play monopoly.

if this is you i like your stuff, if you had tumblr id follow you, youre super talented

>God, how can this board be filled with people that don't know the most basic shit about animation.

Might be because the average Sup Forumsmic book reader doesn't really give a shit about the technical aspects of comics and cartoons?

>Are all those Western CalArts rejects simply too lazy to actually draw instead of moving shit around in Toon Boom?
Shit like TTG! and the Ben 10 reboot are animated using tweening (what you call moving shit around in Toon Boom) and is not the norm outside of adult cartoons, Even the PPG reboot has to be hand drawn because noodley arms are really hard to do with tweening)
Also get your fucking buzzwords right, Calarts means Adventure Time style, not Seth MacFarlane digital tweening

I'd assume if you come here, either comicbooks or cartoons are your hobby, so you should know the bare minimum to know that a storyboard is not 'traditional animation' is one of the first steps in creating a cartoon. Even CGI animation will use storyboards.

>short cuts
It's called prioritizing user, something western animators need to learn when working with a limited budget and time constraints.