twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

UNTIL THE DONUTS BLOW
IN YOUR FUCKING FAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is fake, right?

Johns tweeted it out

Well, now I feel even better about removing this from my pull list

It's just a variant

I wish we had a live reaction to him seeing this.

FUCK YOU DC

DO THE FUCKING WORLD A FUCKING FAVOR AND FUCKING FUCK OFF AND DIE

I feel like he doesn't give a fuck anymore. He already endured the movie and the Before Watchmen prequels, DC has already exploited Watchmen before

>>Meanwhile in Earth-33
>>Shit sucks

How can the same company that's making Deathstroke and RHATO be making this abortion. I can't.

Honestly, this feels kinda shameless. And I mean VERY shameless. Rorschach's mask turns into the trinity? Fucking seriously? THis proves my prediction that this thing would have absolutely no subtlety to it. I like Johns but he writes big dumb blockbusters. I know it's a cover and it doesn't necessarily reflect the inside of the book but it seems like DC is just gonna whore out Watchmen without a care. I don't think Watchmen is a sacred cow either, just making some observations

He bashed the movie the most. Called the prequels desperate. Who knows about this.

He is mostly vocal about this property over his others.

>Rorschach used as a billboard for the Trinity

>How can the same companies making shitty comics make a shitty comic
not really sure what you're trying to say

The thing is, those books are done by writers who give care to the product. They also aren't big sellers so they probably get some creative freedom, as we can see by Deathstroke. This, on the other hand, is an event comic crossover, so the corporate hands will be allll over this thing to ensure maximum profits, even if subtlety has to be thrown out the window

Explain why it isn't a sacred cow. I'm curious. To me, the entire point of Watchmen is that it's a comic universe written by one guy, and it's a self-contained work of art. Why should it be attached to a larger superhero universe? What do we get out of the deal?

I'll give you RHATO but Deathstroke? It's pretty good

To be honest, I'm against the idea from an artistic standpoint. But, I understand the ultimately DC owns these characters and Alan Moore agreed to a contract (even though they kinda loopholed him on it), and that Watchmen as work will still be there for us to enjoy, analyze, and appreciate, and that it will undoubtedly be better than whatever the fuck this is.

I like Alan Moore's work, but...

>Build a career taking other people's creations and making up new stories with them
>Even his early 2000AD work like D.R. and Quinch, and Halo Jones, was blatantly stolen from other sources without permission
>Watchmen was originally conceived as a "final" story for the Charlton Comics characters DC had acquired, and they only became original characters, albeit thinly-veneered pastiches of the Charlton cast, at DC's behest
>Moore throws giant baby tantrums over anyone repurposing or attempting to build so much as one iota of a concept on top of his work

Get fucked, Alan. If being "paid your due" and "creator's rights" are so important, maybe pay some money retroactively to the estates of the creators of all the characters you've - often literally - burnt to ashes and pissed on in the course of your career. Fucking pot-addled hippy.

>twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/902981850687209472

he's dead, but who knows, people can lie

Sincerely, thanks for the thoughtful answer, Sup Forumsmrade. I've seen the "sacred cow" line get trotted out a lot, but honestly beyond "they're technically legally within their rights" and "but muh Rorschach vs Batman" I haven't seen any other arguments for why this does/should exist. In fairness, I'll be watching the trainwreck unfold in a storytime, it just bums me out that DC *utterly* misses the point of the comic they're claiming to be paying tribute to.

You have a point but he's right to bitch about Johns going through his trash like a racoon this time.

While Moore is partly bitter, he just doesn't want it exploited. Those prequels was mostly useless.

At least they didn't call this new thing Watchmen 2.

The thing I like the best is that since he only does softball interviews now with acquaintances and shit EVERY TIME it gets brought up he brushes it under "a great literary tradition unlike comics" to handwave all his 'unique spins' on what he wrote, as if that's not doublethink of the highest order.

Moore doesn't care about Watchmen anymore

>At least they didn't call this new thing Watchmen 2.
yet

Even if you had a point (you don't), I would ignore you for your misuse of the word "literally".

Literally. Figuratively. They're different words, user. Learn them, treat them nicely, they will serve you will and keep you from looking like an inbred goat fucker on the internet where men are trying to talk.

He's dead but the cover is just symbolism. Comedian is staying dead too.

Guess only the 4 are showing up. And if they moved in real time, nite owl and silk are older now.

They can't, legally. The contract they signed with Moore included a clause that there couldn't be a direct sequel to Watchmen without his assent and input.

Honestly, after spending the last few years reading through mostly European, Japanese and Korean comics, Watchmen is nothing special. Without wishing to sound too much like a condescending asshole, American cape comics are generally a fairly mediocre genre/medium with occasional high points. Watchmen took on a strange and frankly unwarranted level of literary worth simply for being better than the average.

>Calls me an inbred goat fucker
>"men are trying to talk"

Figuratively get the fuck out of here, you pseudointellectual anal polyp.

>after spending the last few years reading through mostly European, Japanese and Korean comics, Watchmen is nothing special.
>Watchmen took on a strange and frankly unwarranted level of literary worth simply for being better than the average.
You know of another, better 12 issue or less series as densely but succinctly packed and orchestrated?

I hope Geoff knows that Moore is probably actively cursing him. Like with goat sacrifices and shit.

So you agree this is a terrible idea then.

I don't particularly like Watchmen that much but my comment about Johns remains unchanged.

Watchmen takes the medium of comics, the tropes of superhero fantasy and the milieu of the long-running superhero shared universe and manages to use them say something intelligent about the post-Einsteinian relativistic universe where cause and effect are seemingly disconnected and the absurd notion of "The End of the World" is made all too real. Plus it manages to satisfy on a surface genre level while also operating below the surface level. It's a bit better than just "above average superheroes" user.

I think it's an idea, and its potential terribleness can't really be judged until the comics are out. Personally I'd expect it to be entertaining but completely forgettable. It can't be as bad as Secret Empire, at least.

Tempted to say The Metabarons at eight issues, but I get the impression if someone loves Watchmen they'd probably hate that comic. I also really liked Domu and that was just one volume.

I have no strong opinions on Geoff Johns' work. He's the comic equivalent of a Hollywood filmmaker who makes movies that are enjoyable enough to watch once, but you forget about every detail of them ten minutes after they've finished.

If you took an objective look at the current state of DC and the talent involved with this particular project it should be very easy to predict the level of quality this ill conceived project will have, if you're not paid to shill in the company wars that is.

>Tempted to say The Metabarons at eight issues, but I get the impression if someone loves Watchmen they'd probably hate that comic.
Not necessarily. I'll concede Metabarons to an extent, chiefly visuals and concept,
>I also really liked Domu and that was just one volume.
Otomo on the other hand has just never worked for me though.

>Otomo on the other hand has just never worked for me though

Shame, he's my personal favourite. Can't get enough of his work, which makes me sad there isn't really all that much of it.

Whale Cake & Douchebags & Dungeons & Dragons

To be fair, the journalists always ask him about Watchmen when Moore want to talk about his latest work. DC's constant faggotry add fuel to the feud.

This will be fine, Johns is an OK writer who shines from time to time, but the art in this is going to be phenomenal at the very least, or is "muh watchmen" not good enough for Gary Frank?

The American comic industry has a long proud tradition of screwing writers with barely legal ways or even blatanly illegal ways, like getting help from the Italian mob to made the artists to sign the contracts. It has always been a business, not about art and even less about muh new myths, muh inspiration, muh supervalues, etc. Big corporations screwing the little man is the American way

It's just one of those fancy covers, for christ's sake. I don't remember what they're called, but all the faggots that were making fun of Marvel for doing them, well DC is doing them too. But I digress: it's just the cover. Traditionally, it doesn't have to have anything to do with what's in that issue at all.

No problem, buddy.

Lenticular

and yeah this is just a shiny cover variant for the event, desu it could have been decided on just to kick up a fuss like this... personally i just think theyre probably going to do one for each watchmen character cuz its part of what the story is about and ppl might think its cool.

I highly doubt Rorschach is going to be running around cracking heads with Batman or some damn thing. if he's "in it" at all it'll be flashback stuff or something similar.

Nah, Johns was an OK writer a decade ago, now he's just a hack, and Frank is average at best too. If you wanna argue for DC's current house style that's your perogative I guess.

How do you reconcile Tom King being a complete hack yet still getting inordinate amounts of praise for his Moore pastiche's? Bonus points if you refrain from name dropping Lacan.

why do you care about that? if you don't like reading it, don't read it... if you read it and enjoy it,.. keep reading it.

I don't get where this whole Alan Moore Warlock Worship comes from, yeah sure maybe he's annoyed, if he even pays attention to that shit anymore or gives a single fuck.... you have any idea how apathetic to that crap you are when youre in your mid 60's?

he aint trippin' why are you?

No you didn't.

Fuckign disgusting.

he's probably one of those faggots who thinks a "pull list" is the comics they follow and read, not the comics they actually buy... i get the feeling thats like half of Sup Forums when asked "what books are you pulling"

>but all the faggots that were making fun of Marvel for doing them, well DC is doing them too.
Marvel's lenticulars are gated behind stores ordering way way more issues than stores need, want, or sell, DC's lenticulars are treated like any other comic with how they're ordered.

Watchmen is so old now that I don't care if DC messes around with it. The original text is so far removed from today that it takes nothing away from it to write this story. I've really enjoyed the Dr Manhattan foreshadowing and am optimistic for this story.

>Johns' use of Watchmen characters is completely similar to Moore's Charlton pastiche.
This board is the ultimate proof that Johns' writing rots your brain.

He actually didn't mind the movie, he just hates Hollywood in general for the fuckfest it is to get a movie made. After like the third try of getting it made, he just said fuck off he wants no part of it anymore.

goddamn polish film posters are the best

not him but while i do like priests its not as good as phil hesters one shot. i wish he had his own run

Dumb Ewingfags are mad that the cereal lord sells better than their favorite writer. Admit it, Doomsday clock and Johns are the reason why an obscure property like Watchmen has been getting some fame.

DC was a mistake.

Uh, yes I did? What are you talking about buddy? I emailed my LCS and told them to drop it a week ago

Nope, I buy physical comics at a comic book store, and I told them to drop Doomsday Clock. Idk why you guys are making assumptions about me

Johnsfags are actually retarded

ITT: judging a book by its cover