/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #402

4TH WEBCOMIC CHALLENGE TIME Edition

Welcome to another thread of How's Your Webcomic?, the place where we share the progress and ideas for our webcomic to be. Criticism, advice, idea guys and broken dreams all in one place! Hopefully no one will notice I reused the text from a previous thread! Again! And yet again!

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
youtube.com/watch?v=p0n-oJiw0gM
ggz.thecomicseries.com/
tapastic.com/episode/623701
webtoons.com/en/challenge/ggz/introductions/viewer?title_no=66734&episode_no=1
theduckwebcomics.com/GGZ/
gothgrillz.tumblr.com/
foxandcatadventures-ooc.tumblr.com/post/164545421153/short-01-lava
patreon.com/nosmir
patreon.com/raccoongirl
youtube.com/watch?v=M6c9CDnTRsc
floobynooby.com/comp1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

It's time for the 4th hyw challenge!

>THEME: Magic
>GENRE: (choose one to play around alongside the theme!)
-Lava
-Urban Fantasy
-Inventors
>DEADLINE: August 31

Remember that you can play with the theme as you see fit, we want to see how creative you can get!

let this be the last

Can I discuss the graphic novel I'm working on, or should I save it for the next /coc/ thread?

this, delete this

If you want to share with us go ahead! It is enough on topic for us I think

I do have a tumblr. It's under the same name.

Been working on something with a friend, college keeps me kinda busy though so I don't get a ton done often.

>let this be the last

Who got upset last thread?

/Hyw/ will never die!

Huh, I wonder why it didn't come up in the searches. Thanks.

Indeed, what is dead may never die

>show friend my comic few hours ago
>no response
>last online 1 hour ago

show them in person you dunce. did they even know you were doing a webcomic beforehand? is it a shit webcomic?

>My overall paneling sucks

I just want to comic, I'm losing it anons!

No user, we are your heroes.

You are the dead.

>in person
>real friends

Gosh darn it, i didn't even notice the bump limit. :/

posted the fixed video here:

Appreciate it, I'll try to keep it on topic.

So the short of it is, it's about a 'war' of sorts over a mysterious energy that has a strong connection to the consciousness of humanity. The energy also has the ability to create sentient beings that are able to travel through peoples' dreams. No one truly understands the strange force, but its' power has drawn a lot of attention to it. Some characters are looking to take control for selfish reasons and are willing to do horrible things to get it, others seek it out to for more nefarious purposes. The story would focus on a small 'resistance' group of sorts of about four characters. Each character would have their own storyline before coming together to try and stop the war from destroying the entirety of human consciousness.

I took parts of this story from a webcomic I worked on in college, but the story's drastically changed from years ago. I've been keeping notebooks with me at home and work to scribble down any characters, plotlines, designs, etc.

I'm almost done with the first (non first draft) page of mine. I'll link it tomorrow or September first!!

fucking lovely

we gon' just link it to this post? that should make it easier to keep track of

something very abhorrent about this I can't quite put my finger on

any quick types on writing dialog?

be yourself

Welp, looks like I'm doing small batches now. Possibly a weekly update, but no promises because my schedule is in the middle of a change. Started school again and my hours at work got shifted so it's all up in the air right now.

I've seen a lot of mysterious energy plots, phlebotinum that inexplicably connects to conciousness, and dream travel, but this has to be a unique combination of them. The idea that it CREATES conciousnesses weirdly knits together the less sensible parts of that.
I'm not sure I'm stoked that it's being folded into a resource-war and resistance story, but I wouldn't write it off entirely. Let's see a sample if you have any

>any quick types on writing dialog?
well for one thing it's tips
and dialogue

Definitely anticipating seeing this monster in its full glory. I know I have vidya memories of hanging out in a room outside a boss where it can't get to and trying to prepare for it.

Well, prepare to be disappointed, cuz it ain't that impressive.

as long as it's big
so far you've shown you can do a lot of things really well, I bet you can do scale well too.

Let me know if you figure it out, because I was aiming for 'cute as fuck' and so far that's the feedback I've gotten
also does the fact that Gamla's a rocky golemy dino come across? I probably could have added better little dots or marks to give him a kind of granitey surface.
Guess I still could

Yup it's a small little epilogue until we can get into the next arc

Don't have any samples, but I'm up for discussion about other ideas/concepts I want to work into the story. Tulpas, psychedelics, and cults are also heavily a part of this story.

I'd been pondering about the origin of consciousness and imagination, so a lot of this story stemmed from that. I know it seems odd it veer towards a battlecentric story, but the more I started thinking about the Ether (a working name for the energy), the more I started thinking it was something people would absolutely be trying to take control of.

One character I have is the first woman to develop a consciousness, kept immortal by her strong connection to the Ether. She has a strong sense of ownership over the energy and has lived long enough to know some of it's most powerful secrets.

I would definitely not go with ether. There are a million psychological and theological terms for conciousness, I'd pick one of those. What's it called in Gnosticism? That sucker is RIFE with great terms anyone can use.
I have to wonder what it would be like to manage to take control of something so ephemeral, and how one would actually hold onto it and what they'd use it for.. Definitely intriguing, I'll check it out, so keep us updated.

Yeah I was fence sitting on that. I should probably commit to a better name now, otherwise it's gonna stick to me and it'll just feel weird to change it later. I just googled "Gnosticism and consciousness", holy shit do I have reading to do. Thanks for the tip.

I'll update again with some characters and plots later.

looking forward to it
It's funny because I immediately thought of two franchises I really enjoy that use ether as their special sci-fantasy fuel substance, and both of them had deep interesting mystical crap and imagery built in, but not strongly related to said ether. One of them used gnostic shit all over the place so that's how I thought of that. the other, all tao kinda shit.
What's really fucking weird is the first thing I think of whenever there's a scifi element connected to conciousness is fucking star trek of all things. They never really fully followed up on the ramifications of the solidly-established and strangely-quickly-accepted fact that warp fields were related to thought

ok, i finished the newest page, but first i just now finished uploading the video of me making the last page, so here that is: youtube.com/watch?v=p0n-oJiw0gM

and here is a wip of the newest page for now even though its finished and the video of me making it is rendering right now lol! :D ^^

and here it is, the newest page of GGZ! I hope yall like it!

i made this in sketchbook pro, original stuff!

*you can read it on:

-comic fury: ggz.thecomicseries.com/
-taptastic: tapastic.com/episode/623701
-linewebtoons: webtoons.com/en/challenge/ggz/introductions/viewer?title_no=66734&episode_no=1
-the duck webcomics: theduckwebcomics.com/GGZ/
-tumblr: gothgrillz.tumblr.com/

Alright anons, here's my latest work for a webcomic I've been on/off contributing to. Been really debating on trying to start something, maybe a Graphic Novel. What do you guys think?

Rip me apart as you see fit.

goodnight bump

Mine doesn't follow the theme but it grew from "lava" and "inventors". I got a quick idea for my two characters and just went with it.

I don't consider this an official entry. I just want to tell you guys I really appreciate you all here in /hyw/!

foxandcatadventures-ooc.tumblr.com/post/164545421153/short-01-lava

Probably related to the way the little girl is drawn and framed, it gives a major pedo vibe but that's not a surprise given who drew it.

love this one. lmao that last panel

>all these cool meaningful shots and scenes in your head
>get to the layout/sketching phase
>it's all just talking heads over and over again
HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

>upload comic
>check blogger stats
>11000 visits
>check own website I pay $10/m stats
>360 visits

>check my other less known comic I love more than my popular comic
>161 visits

this is bones, you can tell by his shitty english. also you have no visits, don't kid yourself

We meant to have 3 pages, but my artist lives in Texas and the weather hasn't been very nice there (fortunately he wasn't directly in the path of the tropical storm so he didn't have to evacuate, he just had a lot of rain).

The theme is magic + inventors (Alice is a prodigy of the white way and invented her own style of magic).

It still tales a story even without the third page.

What do you guys think?

Normally the art for Capeworld isn't so manga, but we decided to manga it up for the subject matter.

Any tips or some tutorials or something for gesture drawing? I still feel like I'm not really getting it. I still feel like I'm just trying to copy the image and not really break it down how you're supposed to, but I'm not sure what to do exactly.

The amount you're copying stock anime faces makes it look pretty bad.

I understand your point. We wanted to do a homage thing but I think we overdid it.

Guys, I really want to make comics and learn to animate. What degree would I have to go into to learn this? I want this so bad.

Has anyone here ever drawn something for others people, only to later see that they have made changes to your art without consulting you?
I sometimes draw characters for family, and I'm not always happy that they change my art or copy my drawings to use elsewhere. Maybe Its selfish, but I just don't like the idea of people editing or changing my art.

Sequential art and animation respectively. Keep in mind you usually can only find those degrees at art schools, and that you dont need an art degree to be good at art or get an art job.

Okay, so I'm making a romance comic and I need advice. I'm not sure if I should end the story shortly afterwards the couple gets together, or if I should include another more plot-focused story arc after the main characters hook up. My reason for wanting the more plot-focused story arc is because I want to show how the couple work together now that their relationship changed, as well as to give the individual characters some more growth. My main concern is that the extra arc will bore readers, since the main focus of the story, the romance, would have already been resolved at that point. Thoughts?

Maybe you should focus on writing a story with a beginning, middle and ending instead of worrying about genre definitions.

But for real, if you think a romance is "over" because two characters get together, you're writing a shitty romance.

Mang I literally just said I wanted to continue the story after the romantic arc was resolved to further developing character's relationship.

I'd suggest that you make it omake or a proper sequel, rather than the final chapter of a story with a different focus. That is, make sure that if a reader decides to not read on after the characters get together, they're not gonna feel like there are major plot threads unresolved.

Get over it faggot

Oh, I don't mean just adding an extra chapter. I intend the arc to be about 3-4 chapters, and take up maybe a third of the story. If I were to do the arc, I'd want to set it up and lay hints for it from early on, and since I'm still in the early chapters of the story I need to decide if I want to go with this arc or not.

In that case it's hard to speak in generalities - the question becomes about how well it meshes with the main plot of the story.

Bland boring comic thats impossible to read or care about, with boring bland generic characters that dont matter, also annoying colors.

>Bones giving criticism

>quit drawing everyone side-on all the time, it's boring. vary up your angles
>no, not those angles! that framing is pedo vibe!
make up your mind

If you see someone using your art in ways you didn't approve or changing it (and it actually bothers you), talk to them about it. They can't read your mind.

Coldfusion, you have got to learn to roll with the punches. Stop pouring gasoline onto a fire.

What?

user only said one of those things, and they aren't mutually exclusive complaints.

>implying not everything you draw is pedo-vibe

That's a fair assessment. I was trying to go for more of an atmospheric piece with that issue and the characters were obviously supposed to be robotic, but I really don't think I succeeded on either front. Tbh, I'm taking all the criticism I can take. I draw as a hobby outside of work and school, so any and all pointers help.

>impossible to read
I had a feeling this would be the case, the whole holographic/cyber-text vibe likely wasn't a good approach.

>annoying colors
Specifically the atmospheric colors, like the red glows? Or does this extend to the character designs as well?

>A dude with no drawings or exclusive uploads on his patreon has more money being pledged to him than my awesome comic

patreon.com/nosmir

patreon.com/raccoongirl

Why live?

Are yall motherfuckers ready for another brand new behind the scenes making of video? Good, check it out yall-

heres the video of me making this page: youtube.com/watch?v=M6c9CDnTRsc

hope yall like it, lol

Do not listen to bones. Ever.

The lighting is nice. I would make the text easier to read tho.

I rather read dewds' comic than waste my time with yours

I mean, criticism is criticism. It's better than getting the usual "I like it" crap from everyone else I know.

But yeah, I'll definitely need to work on text contrast. I like experimenting with character speech, mostly because I find bubbles to be boring.

Here's another example of something I'm talking about:

Bones is a shitposter, he's not going to give you substantial advice because he's here for giggles.

That said, your four most obvious issues are color, depth, linewidth and composition. You're using neon lights in dark areas despite not having a sense for lighting or color theory. I'd honestly suggest stepping back and letting someone else handle colors until you have some sense foe the fundamentals. You're having some issues conveying depth as well, most notably in your figures. That's just going to take practice, but you can opt for simpler angles in your pages while you practice. Related to that is your near-uniformly thick lines. I encourage you to go read some black and white comics in several different genres to get a sense for how thick and thin lines alter how a piece or art is viewed. Flipping through the 100s in Cerebus, checking out some Zot, maybe even pursuing a wide variety of manga. Finally...your composition leaves a lot to be desired. I'd recommend reading the basics, like Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, maybe some 1960's Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby, and some contemporary books like I Kill Giants to get a better grasp on how your panels flow and interact.

Basically...double down on the basics!

And just for fun, here's another. Any and all criticism is welcome: whether it's art or writing (the latter of which I know is lackluster). I just want to improve.

>I mean, criticism is criticism
Maybe, but criticism isn't always constructive criticism.
Also it's bones. You can't trust it even if he meant well. He can't teach you anything because he doesn't know better.

Dewd is actually more successful at art than you. Meme all your want, you can't deny this.

Go ahead, post your dank devil pepe pic.

I agree 100%. I know I have a bad habit of wanting to run before I can crawl. I've never taken art classes or anything like that. I will definitely look into all of those recommendations, thanks.

Is Lucy the most OG shitposter in this thread? She has the ability to work outside comic format. Her half-assed made art is still somewhat decent, and if you pay attention the girl improves every few works. She might be a fucking asshole, and incredibly annoying but you gotta give in to the fact that she's trying.

Thanks I'll give it a try, maybe I can convince them to do there own drawings if they want to make changes, or if they have a certain vision they want to create.

With regards to composition, I'd recommend giving this
floobynooby.com/comp1.html
a read-through. It's focused on storyboarding, rather than comics, but it's pretty much all applicable.

This is a sad post, Lucy. Just stop, you're never going to make yourself relevant

honestly I think you underdid it. They look more like miis than like anime characters. It's okay though, as someone that likes this shit, I appreciate the effort. It's significantly less cringey than, say, that time Phineas and Ferb went to japan

I feel like it's different with family. I've never known anyone but family to do that and not think anything of it. The few others who have wanted to change something made sure to ask me first.

Just think about what makes the story good. You have to have conflict and resolution, yeah, but it doesn't have to be the romance that has already been resolved. It could be something else. How they're going to get a place together, the difficulties in that, how they get over their early serious fights, etc
a movie like Fatherhood or Father of the Bride always good as an example, because it was slice of life before slice of life was a thing, but managed to have no particular pace ands till keep you interested all along

>She
lmao

I like the art though a lot of it didn't pull me in until I actually read the text.. which is quite good. I would maybe edit the robogore so it doesn't look like they're full of streamers
prawn stars made me laugh

I thought I was. Remind me not to go into boxing.

Thanks!

I just love surreal and absurd humor but I know it's not for everybody.

*Colors: I'm no expert, but your characters and the environment seem disconnected. The first half has a dusty background that's so overwhelming that the scene is meant to be dark and brown from the whipping sands...but the purples and reds are still highly saturated for some reason. It doesn't look like they're glowing either, it's just garishly purple and red despite even the rest of Mr. Purple Textbox's body practically shouting "It is a bit dark and brown in this scene." The other part has the near opposite problem, where it looks like you just slapped a coat of red on him and went "yeah that works."

*Panels: It's probably because your comic is so vertical, but all you really got going on is two even panels or one wide panel per row. It isn't varied enough for the changes to have an impact, but it lacks the consistency of uniformity as well.

Also consider not going into these threads

>She

And thanks.

>she

>pretending like your not my biggest fan

yeah ok kid, sure, whatever, heres your epic devil pepe