Why does Aladdin get a free pass for pop culture references?

Why does Aladdin get a free pass for pop culture references?

The same reason Merlin gets to go on vacation in modern day Bermuda mid-movie. Magic.

So does classic loony toons and disney shorts

Because a magic genie isn't bound by space or time.

And he's the only one who does it. It's contained to a character who's personality is defined by his reference points. It's a specific dramatic choice.

Yet it gets regularly shit on when it's done now.

What a shitty cop-out.

>Actor from the 50's
>Popular culture

How the fuck is it a cop-out? The genie is some magic thing, we don't know how he perceives time. He's the one character who does it, so it's shown to specifically be different and out of the ordinary. He runs by his own rules.

You're one of those people who thinks the concept of context is a meme, aren't you?

>Wah wah
You wanted an answer you got it.

1. They're mostly funny.
2. The movie stands on its own without them.
3. People really like Robin Williams.

he explicitly goes to the future to vacation at disney world between movies

You can come up with a myriad of reasons why pop culture references should be in your movie, that doesn't shield them from scrutiny.

So the movie is exempt from the usual criticisms because you personally like it? Nice.

One of the biggest downsides is feeling dated. There are plenty of teens and 20's who don't know Jack Nicholson, let alone Rodger fucking Dangerfield.

Why does Discord get a pass on a fucking smartphone?

Who cares if it's dated. Movies don't need to exist through out time. That's what remakes are for.

>You can come up with a myriad of reasons why pop culture references should be in your movie, that doesn't shield them from scrutiny.

Look, if you think the references are lame, that's one thing and a different argument we can have. But you're complaining about them existing at all.

>So the movie is exempt from the usual criticisms because you personally like it? Nice.

Again, context. You don't seem to understand how arguments work, or you think that just because you don't like (Thing A) in one movie, you have to dislike it in every movie or it's excuses/double standards.

Execution is all that matters. You're arguing like a child, or someone on Sup Forums.

S A V A G E

>There are plenty of teens and 20's who don't know Jack Nicholson, let alone Rodger fucking Dangerfield.
I didn't know who they were when I was a kid and it didn't affect my enjoyment at all. The reference itself isn't what's important, it's just the fact that genie is doing a character and it's entertaining.

In other words, Aladdin gets a free pass because the references are just that, passing references. The jokes don't revolve around them.

My taste is out of the equation, I'm merely pointing out how Sup Forums has a double standard when it comes to pop culture references being objectively bad except in the case of Aladdin.

Don't post like a nigger.

>Rodger

>ignoring the relatively goddamned charitable pity answers you got and supplying your own horseshit to respond to

Stop posting. You're shit, your thread is shit, and you're well past your bedtime.

>Gets explanation
>Decides to be mad anyway

Because references are only good when I understand them

> I'm merely pointing out how Sup Forums has a double standard when it comes to pop culture references being objectively bad except in the case of Aladdin.

Most of the time it sucks because it's the whole movie. Shrek is like 75% dank early 2000's memes that don't serve any character or plot function and in fact take away from the over all narrative.

When there's, say, a Matrix joke in the first Shrek movie, it doesn't serve anything. The joke was that Fiona could wreck faces without Shrek or Donkey's help, and her beating up the Merry Men by her own was funny enough on its own. But why a Matrix reference? Does The Matrix exist on Dulock? Does professional wrestling? Or COPS? We know Starbucks does, but how? None of these are funny on their own and just take away from bits that are actually funny.

Aladdin sidesteps that by not making it a feature of the general world, but of one magic, otherworldly character. It contains it so the rest of the story can function as its meant to.

If the standard was Aladdin instead of Shrek, then people wouldn't complain so much. And Disney isn't immune from it either, those piece of shit gargoyles in Hunchback are fucking terrible.

It's Robin Williams and they are supposed to be alien to characters around him.

It also helps that Genie doesn't just stop the fucking movie to make a reference. He works the reference in while continuing dialogue that's important to the plot.

Also true. Most of them are either in his big number or explaining his rules to Aladdin.

because by allah, the film was good

Those are fair points.

Congratulations. You've won the most you's for not learning from your exchange and for being the most autistic

It never has. Why are you even thinking this?

Because its usually underage people who complain about references. Old stuff that reference old things don't bother them because they either don't get the reference, or they do, but its not everywhere in current media to annoy them.

Because it was made in 1992

It was the first Disney film to do so.

Was it a choice?
I thought it was just Robin Williams Robin Williamsing so they decided to just go with that

>There are plenty of teens and 20's who don't know Jack Nicholson, let alone Rodger fucking Dangerfield.

Rodger?

remakes are for safe revenue. you don't need to come up with extra reasons to justify their existence, they're not going anywhere

Aladin was 20 years ago, user

Pop culture references are a healthy part of any art era.

nuPPG gets shit on for it, but imo the only references that shouldn't have been inserted would be sexual stuff like the twerking as performed by kindergartners. "No me gusta" is a perfectly relevant pop culture reference that, if records of nuPPG somehow survive into the future, will be a valuable fossil of our current time for an audience member to puzzle over.

Because the Genie was literally created to be a character that only Robin Williams could play. They wanted Robin Williams and only Robin Williams. Genie's entire personality and style of humor is a direct mirror of Robin Williams in every way.
And Robin Williams' stand up always featured a shit ton of pop culture references and celebrity impressions.

>Jack Nicholson
>50's
OK now I'm genuinely curious. Who exactly do you think that is, or is your pop culture timeline really that off-kilter?

I liked Maui's tweet joke

Having the character that can bend space time have a unique perspective made better by having the right VA with the freedom nessessary to pull it off.

>Cop out

Some glad summers ending.

>Rodger fucking Dangerfield
>Rodger
No respect.

Who is "rodger Dangerfield"??
kys

Because it's more a recognition gag. You don't need to know who Peter Lorre is to know when someone is making a reference to with the voice because its so pervasive, and even if you don't know the person/character, it just serves as a wacky delivery of a line.

Contrast that to something like South Park, which is so dependent on current events that a year later the entire joke of an episode is basically "Oh yeah, that was a big deal at some point."

Pop culture references that you require you to understand the reference to understand the scene are shit. References that don't detract from what's actually happening don't.

underrated post.

U. I like u.

>gets shit on
Family Guy, American Dad and South Park all use pop culture references when they are ongoing shows. Aladdin was one single movie. calm the fuck down.

>reboots

fuck that and fuck you

1) he's an agent of chaos in a fantasy setting, so it makes sense for him to have an object of technology just to be contrary

2) DIS... CORD. no cord. cordless phone.

i'll take your wife

Because Robin Williams, it wouldn't be his humor without it.