Would a manned mission to Mars really be worth the money?

Would a manned mission to Mars really be worth the money?

Name something more worthwhile

Nuking Canada

wiping canada off the face of the earth

if the free market allows it

Canadian genocide

das rayciss

making sure everyone in canada accidentally chokes to death on two different brands of syrup

What if we did something kinda like the brits did to straya and send all of our nigglet prisoners to mars to start building shit. If they don't build shit, don't send supply rocket. Simple and expendable.

sterilization of the populations in disease prone areas of the world. We don't need more people. Life is getting incredibly cheap and hyper-urbanization brings some serious problems. Lets bring it back down to earth for a while.

Short-term payoff? No.

Long-term? Yes, because it would prove it can be done and would encourage more manned landings. Some would eventually involve permanent colonists and operations that would break a profit.

Shit alternatives. Mars is way better.

Right now. No, it's not a good money investment, but being able to reach the stars and start colonizing our own solar system is a huge step for the humanity. We need to demostrate to ourselves that we can do it and we will do it. 40 years ago we reached the moon, why we stop it?

How much would it cost?

No
But basically this

A forest fire

Money spent for space, is money spent on Earth. Somebody gets to pay the bills from the paychecks. New technologies are created.

My hatred for you and your country grows exponentially every day.

If Britain taught the world anything it's that you need to send white people if you want to have a successful colony

space travel is retarded

we're not anywhere near the level of technology needed for it. right now it would take literal centuries of sitting in a space ship in order to reach other galaxies

Developing Superintelligence (AI).

No fucking way. That's a lot of money the U.S. doesn't have have for reddit to sperg out over pictures of red rocks.

I think I know where that little girl's food has been going.

probably not but it would be better than subsidizing niglets

Developing brain - computer interface tech

Why do we invest so much in traveling and making settlements in other planets when we haven't even fully discovered the underwater world?

we either waste it on this or benghazi trial number 521241325213 or whatever we're on now. I'd like to see my country's flag on mars where the commies can't topple it.

No, and if you think the common man is gonna have any part in it aside from throwing their tax dollars at it you're fooling yourself. It's just gonna be all the rich fucks ditching right as everything goes to shit like they always do.

If Mars was a solid planetoid, probably yes. But Mars is a light orb.

Sure, the Chinese are doing it and will probably get there with the poos launching shortly behind them. I personally can't wait to visit New Deli Kong (population 6 gorillion) where shit flows through streets freely.

Pretty much. It probably won't be economical. In fact it's quite pointless. But I'd rather advance humanity than endorse mediocrity.

>I'd like to see my country's flag on mars where the commies can't topple it.

They already toppled your country, that flag up there would be theirs.

Some day, some how, this rock we live on will become uninhabitable. For that reason, we need to invest in space travel as soon as possible. Unfortunately, people are shit at thinking about the future and only care about immediate payoff.

Yes.

no

That's always such a strange rational.
On one hand, it should be cheaper to terraform Earth back to cleanliness than to terraform some other planet.
On the other hand, I can see why someone would rather spend their terraforming money on a planet that wasn't being actively destroyed.
Either way, only rich people will have the money to move away.

Only if there's space niggers to enslave

That gorilla couldn't have been hungry for more than five minutes at a time.

there is no terraforming of mars. the magnetic field is too weak and a portion of it comes from the iron oxide on the surface

a little thing called the solar wind would strip away any atmospheric build up attempt.

wat

>tfw methuselah syndrome
>tfw deemed physically unfit to leave earth
>tfw I'll never get off this fucking rock

they'll figure out a way to melt the core again dont worry

nah i see what you're saying though, Mars is kinda shit. I've heard theories that a cloud city type deal could theoretically float in a layer of atmosphere above Venus. There are layers of the atmosphere that apparently exhibit temp and pressure similar to earth. Just requires a big old blimp.

Not until we have Fusion Engines and Fusion reactors. Then the solar system is made of fuel.

hugely stupid idea. too far away, with moon, a problem means they MIGHT return. on mars, they are doomed if one thing goes wrong. the way to go: launch thousands of autonomous robots and let them build up a huge base that we can one day live in.

Is it possible for Canadians to think about anything before posting

no

No, just use the already existing jump rooms.