Ewing's Marvel Epic Pt. 11

Prior threads are available here. Picking up where I left off with Ultimates Vol. 2 #4

Other urls found in this thread:

brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/
youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Slamming gin, vodka, and yuengling
>I hate my job.

My students are gonna get a ballin lecture tomorrow. Already done a dry run from start to finish and it's pretty fucking sweet. I actually model mysefl after one of my professors. He was chock full of information from main facts to little tidbits that expanded the material. Dude could lecture from start to finish and be delivering information the entire time. He was as Fucking boss

MORE YENGILG

How's the comic coming along? It's been a while since I heard about it.

Actually making some progress. Using my office hours to get shit done. Right now I'm taking all the ideas I had and putting them on paper. Mentally imagining stuff is cool, but having it written down is really beneficial. Writing plot synopsis for each of my "arcs" and then splitting those into issue structures. Issues 1-16 are plotted out and working on getting 17-24 into a state of non-garbage. Writing is fun. Making things internally consistent while ignoring asspulls as much as possible is a biiiiiiiitttttcccchhhhhh

Also I have no idea how to write fantasy/magic. I can't just write stuff and go with it. Developing an internal system for how magic operates without devolving to fan wank territory seems impossible.

Glad to hear that. Have you figured out the artist situation yet?

I've stuck to a pretty rigid panel layout just for consistency sake. I still don't wanna propostion my work to an artist until I have the first arc done with full scripts completed. I've tried my own hand at artistry but I can't settle upon a particular style I'm happy with. The story involves superpowers pushed to the absolute limit so while it's realistic in a sense, I don't wanna have it be so realistic it's off putting to the audience. Less realistic than Brian Hitch and JG Jones but more realistic that Oeming. Quietley/Shalvey come close to the tone I wanna go for. To be honest, the new Tick live action series is similar in tone to my comic. It's something that can have weaponized syphillis while still having villains be covered in vacuum lint because their powers went off in an unsuitable environment.

Just how powerful is this guy? It's hard for me to grasp the cosmic hierarchy of Ewing's series.

>I've stuck to a pretty rigid panel layout just for consistency sake. I still don't wanna propostion my work to an artist until I have the first arc done with full scripts completed
That sounds reasonable.

On the topic of art, I feel like figuring out what style your story will have is important because it can feed into your writing and it becomes a sort of reciprocative system where the art is informed by the writing's style and the writing is informed by the art's style.

It also depends on how much you want to stand out, like if you want it to look like your average cape series so capefans are more likely to check it out or something more indie and different.

It's actually been a challenge to decide exactly who it's for. I originally tried to make it pg-13 because I read from some writer that making it more accessible to more audiences is a way to make it more out there, but I like bad language. If someone get's shredded in half or smashed into powder, somone is going to respond in a not so friendly way. I then decided, fuck it, I'll make it the way I want. It isn't shit/fuck the entire book, but every now and again I'm going to take the story in a direction that will catch audiences off guard.

As weird as it sounds, I've almost written my comic as if it's operating off a budget. Most of the comic is people talking with one another but when powers appear, they are gonna be fast and mean and because they don't appear in every single page, they're going to feel that much more impactful when they do appear. While I love Ewing's Ultimates work, having cosmic deities constantly battling and scheming against one another loses it's luster 3 to 4 issues in and while that isn't a bad thing, I've kinda stopped caring whenever a new otherworldly concept appears just because it happens so often.

Why is everyone in this comic a nigger?

This isn't an Unsounded thread, boy.

That's a cool approach. It's a lot like the kind of approach you see in something like, say, Rogue One, where they intentionally didn't show a lightsaber for most of the movie so when it does show up it's more impactful. Of course, it can also be like Godzilla, from the same director, where the audience WANTED to see the monster, and all the teasing got tiresome after a while.

Sandersons law of magic might help.

brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/

I'm definitely going for the Rogue One approach. Teasing is fine but only for 2-3 issues max, then as you said the audience just gets frustrated. I'm going for one big moment every issue or two.

This is fucking fantastic! Thank you so much for this.

Rogue One's lightsaber reveal wasn't impactful in the slightest.

The general audience disagrees but whatevs.

Np. Sanderson is one of the best magic writers I've ever seen. He's the opposite of Ewing who does a lot of metaphors as his magic has hard and solid rules you can and he does build the science of a world on.

His actual writing skill is just passable but his ideas and world building are A+ and make his stuff well worth reading.

Just watched this scene again. I wasn't a fan of Rogue One but this moment caught me off guard. When one of the rebels screams "Help us!" I felt a legitimate sense of dread.
youtube.com/watch?v=wxL8bVJhXCM

What the fuuuuuuccckkk?

bump