Which was better at their height?

Which was better at their height?

Well pretty much everyone is a better height than Wolverine.

X-men. Titans aged pretty bad. And Wolfman wasn't as good at hiding his fetishes in plain sight like Claremont

Levitz/Giffen LoSH

X-Men

I see many here in Sup Forums comparing X-Men with Titans or LoSH but X-Men are much bigger than they combined.

Well, peak X-men is still great while peak Titans has aged horribly.

I believe the more important question is

Why one got shafted by their own company more?

Related question: Which was the better cartoon: 90s X-Men or Teen Titans?

>90s cartoon
>Teen Titans

which* i hate phoneposting

90's X-men was worse than Teen Titans in everything but the Theme Song

Wolfman-era Teen Titans was incredibly high selling and was just as popular as X-men was at the time. It's just that X-men kept getting more popular while Titans' popularity went into freefall after Wolfman.

He's saying "90s X-men" or "Teen Titans" not "90s X-men" or "90s Teen Titans." Reading comprehension, man.

X-Men Evolution

My bad. I may be dslyixec

It is weird to think how these franchises were on the same level in the 80s. Competing with each other. The Titans franchise crashed hard.

Titans almost got a cartoon show in the 80s but didnt panned out, also Cyborg was in the Superfriends show in the last seasons

Why Martian Manhunter never appeared in the Superfriends? Even Firestorm and Cyborg appeared.

>The Titans franchise crashed hard.
I mean X-Men lasted longer, but they definitely crashed too

Underrated as fuck

At their height? Teen titans.

LoL

The X-comics are crap now but they still have their own 'Cinematic Universe' by Fox

No one ever really gave a shit about Martian Manhunter. He hasn't had a popular comic since the 40s

He was part of the "Magnificemt Seven" of the Justice League.

plus can still support like ten books at a time

Hey now, the Ostrander/Mandrake run lasted 30ish issues, that's not bad. Worse than Aquaman, sure, but with a character with practically no mythology of his own that ain't bad.

X-Men

He left he JLA in the late 60s and didn't really do much of anything until he rejoined the mid 80s, when the JLA wasn't that popular (before Giffen/DeMatteis) and Superfriends was on its last season. Plus, when he was on JLA in the 60s, he was basically a stand in for Superman, who Mort Weisinger didn't let Gardner Fox use out of fear of Superman oversaturation.

70's - 90's X-Men were untouchable when it came to storytelling and characterization. I think around the time of Jean Grey's death and House of M everything got significantly worse and took a nosedive in quality for good.

Besides a few exceptions, Teen Titans never maintained a steady quality above "average". It had such little impact on comics and DC as a whole that whenever you mention "Teen Titans", more often than not you'll be met with response to the 2004 cartoon; which itself has become a subject of fladerization.

If it's any consolation, Teen Titans was at least more consistent with its themes and continuity. Schism between members usually had lasting effects on the team's structure as a whole and wasn't resolved until years later, if at all. Not to mention they never had the whole "mutants are evil but Spider-Man and Thor are cool" tripe.

Teen Titians

Xmen only really have the phoenix saga and it aged like a disgruntled mess

This.

The X-Men just got even more popular in the 90s with the cartoon series. They were the biggest thing in comics back then.

>when the JLA wasn't that popular (before Giffen/DeMatteis)

The JLA wasn't popular in the early 80s even with all the Superfriends shilling? Maybe that's why COIE happened.

>X-Men

>Teen Titans only really have the Judas Contract and it aged like a disgrunteld mess
Ftfy

X-Men no question.

I would sayTitans had better art but prime Claremont was so damn good from '75-'85

I was talking specifically about comics.

See

Yeah but that was solely because of legacy, not because everyone knew him as one of the DC's best characters

But OP, pic related was the height of Teen Titans.

I'm talking about when the comics went to shit in the mid 2000s

> It's just that X-men kept getting more popular while Titans' popularity went into freefall after Wolfman.
So then the answer to OP's question is X-Men.

>And Wolfman wasn't as good at hiding his fetishes in plain sight like Claremont

Yeah, he just wasn't as subtle with them.

>while Titans' popularity went into freefall after Wolfman
I think it was even before that, I'd say New Titans #100, which I hear was a lot of people's drop off point.

No, because OP is asking about them at their peak. He's comparing Claremont to Wolfman.

X-Men had all the best girls

X-men had multiple cartoons, and shit ton of games from the late 80s to mid 00s. Then the movies.

The reason it crashed is because
- they put Bendis in the book,
- they internally sabotage it due to movie rights drama.

X-Men crashed long long before Bendis.

What are the odds that X-Men comics will return to form? Who could be its savior?

X-Movie Rights going to Disney?

>Who could be its savior?

Someone with a .50 and line of sight on Ike

The beginning of the concurrent Uncanny and Adjectiveless era was when it ended. It's then that it officially became an institution at Marvel and no longer had to justify its popularity through good stories, it was self-evident.

Never. The concept has run dry. It is too self-referential and bloated. You would basically have to kill off 90% of the X-Universe and roll back a lot of the more recently established canon that narrows the scope of what stories can be told.

Given how shitty all of Marvel's comics are, I don't think either would fix it.

>The concept has run dry.

I don't know if that's the issue so much as there's no reason for a writer actually try. Why give your best ideas to Marvel when you can try to save them for an indie comic? Why write anything intelligent when you're going to get ripped off the book within 2 years and have a huge chunk of your run marred by event tie ins?

>You would basically have to kill off 90% of the X-Universe and roll back a lot of the more recently established canon

Didn't Morrison's run kind of pseudo-do that by bringing the team back to its original members, similar to what he accomplished with Justice League? Why didn't that stick?

>emma frost
>original members

Morrison fanboy pls go

Nexus and Dreadstar were going at this time.

Fuck this shit.

>Didn't Morrison's run kind of pseudo-do that by bringing the team back to its original members,

What? He didn't do that. And if you're wondering why it didn't stick it's because he changed things far more than the readers were used to. With JLA he was doing straightforward superhero action. X-Men he changed the situation so that there was now a boom in mutant births and tried to kinda/sorta match the feel of the films by not having them wear costumes (obviously they couldn't use the Fox outfits cause those were owned by Fox).

>I'd say New Titans #100, which I hear was a lot of people's drop off point.

It's the issue where Raven raped Starfire with a demoncock?