Animated Horror Films

Why are they so rare? Horror is a VERY popular genre in live-action. You can do MUCH more with animation. Why aren't studios taking advantage of that medium?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vVkDrIacHJM
youtu.be/k7d7qVgNj8g
youtu.be/bCEdRES08Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=cqi5F5MqqTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EDle00tZJFE
twitter.com/realgdt/status/827065272028766208?lang=en
nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/guillermo-del-toro-reveals-curiosities-article-1.1494647
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falangism.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've heard some people say you can't do animated horror, it's just not scary. I don't know if that's true but I can't think of any examples to disprove it.

Cartoons are for kids silly

>I don't know if that's true but I can't think of any examples to disprove it.

I find parts of Secret of NIMH plenty scary, and I've seen every single Hellraiser movie at least twice.

They can be done, but they require serious talent in the writing and animation department. Plus a studio that will have the balls to risk doing something adult that isn't family guy tier comedy. Those three things are difficult to assemble for Hollywood, might have a better chance with Netflix or television.

>I've heard some people say you can't do animated horror, it's just not scary
The problem the one that typically gets in the way: The Animation Age Ghetto.

The popularity of anime like image related and any number of vidya demonstrate that it's just a problem with American't.

the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde part of The Pagemaster freaked me the fuck out.

so did the Moby Dick part, too.

there are plenty of anime that prove that wrong. Perfect Blue is probably the best example

Cartoons are perceived as being for children, and horror movies are aimed at teens at the youngest. Considering how much animation costs and how cheaply live action horror movies can be produced, it just doesn't make financial sense.

No mention of coraline? It was effective horror imo. Especially the scene where Coraline finally escapes, something about the part where other mother limply throws her body down the spider web and afterwards when she pleads with Coraline maniacally talking about how she'll die without her were really creepy. Still a kids movie. Paranorman & Kubo COULD of been scary but it doesn't really go that direction.

this movie got some pretty spooky moments, and i wont call it a kid friendly movie either.

Okay, people who aren't pussies don't find animated horror scary.

I've seen all this shit, and not a single moment is what I would call "scary." The only thing I think when I see "scary" animation is that it looks cool. I can appreciate it, but I don't find any of it to be genuinely scary.

Not all horror movies are scary but Monster House and Coraline are definitely horror movies.

Just because you don't think they are scary doesn't mean they aren't horror movies

When the hell did I say they weren't horror movie? I just said that I didn't think they were scary.
Don't you faggots put words into my mouth.

THE EVIL WITHIN is a shit game, but has some cool imagery and themes. I would enjoy it as a CG-animated movie, while playing it was an tedious and awful chore.

But he's saying that he doesn't feel scared, because (as I understand him) the way the scenes are animated or shown are cool, and thus distract him from getting a fright.

youtube.com/watch?v=vVkDrIacHJM

Maybe you just weren't the right age for Coraline. My cousin is 16 now and he still reminds me how freaked out he was by Coraline when I took him to see it when he was a kid.

Horror as a genre has been really lackluster in the past years.
Name one live-action film from the past decade that was genuinely scary and remarkable apart from The Witch

Blumhouse is killing horror.

Pan's Labrynth

But you aren't wrong

Almost 30 years ago, I saw AKIRA in DC at a matinee full of moms with their kids who came to see a nice animated film. Sadly, it took bullets in cartoon dog brains to convince them to leave.

>yfw Pan's Labyrinth doesn't even make the "past decade" cutoff

Martyrs.

dull

fuck...I feel old now

To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing a horror animation with a style like
>pic related
It's kind of spooky to me, it might help it get that edge those live action horror movies have

That's kinda cool.

Horror animation has always worked better in short film form rather than feature film form. This animated adaptation of The Tell Tale Heart from 1953 is still the best adaptation of Poe's story ever produced:

youtu.be/k7d7qVgNj8g

There are tons of good animated short horror films.

Go back to your American schlock cinema.

>This animated adaptation of The Tell Tale Heart from 1953 is still the best adaptation of Poe's story ever produced:

Better quality version:

youtu.be/bCEdRES08Y4

I can't believe a shit factory like UPN made that.

>I feel good, a special kind of horny

This is probably the scariest cartoon ever made. Stop motion is perfect for horror

youtube.com/watch?v=cqi5F5MqqTQ

Mr. Krabs has dominated this thread.

Boo.

You see one new French extremity, you've seen them all. Extreme violence is overdone and not scary at all.

Inside (2007 french version, because apparently there's a remake now) was pretty good. I recommend it. I saw the Devil, Let the right one in, (original) Pan's Labyrinth, I'd probably list a bunch of stuff you haven't heard of because I found that I had to look at the international markets for good horror.

This movie was comfy.

That bottle scene. I've seen actual skinning and that's still something haunting.

The Spawn HBO series had pretty decent horror moments.

>Horror is a VERY popular genre in live-action
I don't think that's because there's a dedicated horror fanbase, much more to do with it being easier to make your money back on a budget of 5 mill than 50 mill

Depends on the series. Saw, Conjuring, Insidious and Paranormal Activity consistently made bank even as their budgets increased. You're Next is a good example of your point though, so is It Follows, probably one of the biggest wastes of a concept ever.

WANDA

Because the type of people who went into animation tend to also be nonsensical or about happier themes.

Also, the visceral nature of blood, or the suspense of terror, is hard to capture in an animated way, since there's an additional level of separation from the viewer and subject matter.

Horror is popular because it's relatively cheap to produce. Animation costs about the same no matter what you're making.

>Pan's Labrynth
Except the clear political overtones to the movie are a serious and distracting put-off.

>tfw no Blackford Manor series

Explain?

youtube.com/watch?v=EDle00tZJFE

>Even "white guys," everywhere.
>Capitalism versus Communism.
>Oppressive patriarchy.

>twitter.com/realgdt/status/827065272028766208?lang=en

Shit was so obvious it was cringe worthy.

Creep (2014)
Nightcrawler (2014)
Honeymoon (2014)
Oculus
Absentia
Shutter Island
Sleep Tight (2011)
The Ruins (2008)
Get Out
Train to Busan
Girl with all the Gifts (2016)
It comes at Night

>Martyrs
Ma nigga.

>I don't want to think about anything when I watch a movie REEEE

neck yourself, seriously. People like you don't deserve to live in this world

Oculus was pretty good, imho.

>Get clearly insulted by the creator.
>Somehow you should just ignore this.
>Point it out.
>Some fag tells you to die.
Pretty fucking typical of Sup Forumsmblr I guess.

WANGRAHG WANGRAGH WANNGGGRRAAA!

Nice shot spawny boy!

>Good art is about jumping on political bandwagons and harping on unproven cliches.
Sure showed us. It was shit.

I'm neither of the dudes you replied to, but as someone who hasn't even seen Pan's Labrynth, let me just say that you are the faggot in this argument.

You realize Spain went through serious things during WW2 right? There's a reason they almost escaped the history books of that little catastrophe.

Too bad he wrote it for American audiences with American political metaphors in mind.

I figured it would be something that stupid or bait.

First, the movie came out long before the turdfest that is gender politics so stop trying to force it to fit a narrative it isn't making. Second, if you are this much of a oversenstive pussy the movie and the horror genre would be wasted on you anyway.

It's a movie set in WW2 and you want the writer to ignore that? Read some history you amerifats

>so stop trying to force it to fit a narrative it isn't making
That tweet came from the creator's own mouth, you tard. I ain't forcing shit. He straight up admitted it.

that's why it's not even in english, huh?

Right, everyone ELSE is retarded.

>Sup Forumsmblr rage and name calling
Predictable and typical.

>Rampant anti-American sentiment doesn't exist in the EU.

Reminds me of this

Hey, its Kathy Kinney.

It came from a failing director who fucked up and or abandoned recent films. Trying to appeal to the 'want to feel important' generation and a few other idiots way after you made the film is laughable at best.

Get back to making At The Mountains Of Madness. And keep Cruise out unless he's funding or playing the most insane person. I'm really surprised streaming companies aren't dry-humping this even if Hollywood was dumb enough to leave it.

Yes, exactly! I'd love to see one short film with the monster animated like that instead of just one Courage episode. The juxtaposition is just asking to be used

>No, see, don't listen to the creator.
k bud

Zombie Island scared the shit out of me.

Yeah don't. I don't like making accusations but he's probably just trying to make money by being a lying fuck after the fact.

Even if you are right (you're not since the creator himself doesn't agree with you) but you're still blatantly ignoring every major shoe-horned and lamp-shaded moment in the movie about, "Evil Capitalism versus Good Communism," and, "Deadly Oppressive Patriarchy."

Scooby Doo movies are always keeping up a level of quality other straight-to-the-bargain-bin movies don't even try to reach for. I can appreciate that. That's probably one of my favorites

>Spanish
>White

>Took 70 posts to get political
New record

What if the guys behind Netflix Castlevania did Silent Hill? I'd watch that.

Pale is also a color associated with death. And he speaks of institutional evil. But as usual, people can't into subtlety and immediately jump to the same tired shit all the time to stroke their victimization boner.

>a movie about WW2
>Has WW2 themes

fuck off

>Post politically charged examples.
>BUT WHY IS THERE POLITICS?!
The politics stop when the artists stop being political.

>stroke their victimization boner
Yes, that's exactly what the director did with Pan's Labyrinth. That's what I'm saying.

Tell us all about these moments we're ignoring, user.

>The scene with the mother dying because dad doesn't believe in magical cures.
>The scene with the benevolent communist losing his foot.
Did you even watch the movie?

I don't mind politics in cartoons, it's just politics in threads tend to derail, going from the artist's ideologies to real-world events that have little to do with cartoons
As long as it stays on topic I don't see a problem with it

>The politics stop when the artists stop being political.
Damn good point, honestly.

In most cases artists tend to harp on real-world events. Hence the overwhelming amount of political argument in Sup Forums.

You project any harder and you'll look like Lo Pan.

nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/guillermo-del-toro-reveals-curiosities-article-1.1494647

There's his actual inspiration. So was right.

>>The scene with the mother dying because dad doesn't believe in magical cures.
The guy was a fucking Nazi, these were the people who rejected new science like Relativity as Jewish MAGIC.
>>The scene with the benevolent communist losing his foot.
It was showing the horrors of war. What do you have against that?

Magic isn't real kid. It's completely reasonable, even for a Nazi, not to believe putting a moldy mandrake, in milk, under a deathly ill woman's bed, is a good idea. That's the entire problem with the scene.

I find that "artists" have a tendency to either release their frustration through their work, or be cowards that hide behind them.

There are brilliant exceptions of course; just more mouthy assholes than you might find even on the internet.

>he thinks the magic was real in-universe
Oh, user. You sweet summer child.

The problem with modern artists is they all too frequently take the easy road when it comes to politics. They hypocritically declare they're tearing down some status quo while actually defending it.

>It was showing the horrors of war. What do you have against that?
>Let's just ignore the black-and-white framing of the sides.

I want this. Kind of. But the series, in terms of movies and animation, has already been kind of tainted. They'd have to be extremely careful of the content going in.

>Nazi defender
go back to charlottesville
where did I say that magic is real? Where? I'm saying it could be a political statement or not. It fit in character to the nazi not to want her to be superstitious.

This why I like writers; and to a degree politicians, painters, directors etc that are loony as hell. They're too screwy to lie.

>completely brushing over the fact it's 100% reasonable for even a Nazi to be upset his wife is being poisoned by moldy mandrake in milk superstition
>irrationally hating on Nazis but supporting communists for no good reason other than because

I have. And you're still reaching pretty hard. Vidal was a man characterized as a meticulous, brutal asshole who only cared about his legacy and crushing the rebels as a means of expanding that legacy, there's nothing Deadly Oppressive Patriarchy about that shit because of course he wouldn't believe in magic cures just like he didnt care about the history of the Labyrinth. Also he believed in Falangism, which is strongly anti captialist and anti communist, shooting your other theory to shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falangism.