Garth Ennis

Can someone explain to me what the fuck is up with this guy and Vietnam war stories and anal rape?

He wants to get raped take a hint user

He just thinks that male rape and things going up men's butts in general is hilarious. I currently cannot think of even one instance where he played it straight and for drama.

He loves war, and loves writing about it.
Almost as much as he love making shallow superhero parodies that basically just boil down to "Superheroes suck because I say they do."

Yeah, I've read most of his books and really Hitman is the only one that sets a good example (for the most part). I mean, I enjoy him because his books seem to be the only ones daring to be fun. I feel like everyone else is afraid to even use the words like 'nigger' in a context that isn't just setting up the caricature racist villain for the reader to hate him. The 'Nam conversation in Preacher comes to mind even though I didn't like the book, but I guess considering when it came out it was refreshing for everyone.

The reason for him not liking superheros is a fair one. Though I agree he can kinda go overboard with his dislike of them.

>The reason for him not liking superheros is a fair one
When DC found him he was an ex-poet working for AD2000. The first thing they did when signing him was buy back the rights to his first book of poetry and return them to him gratis.

He repaid this favor by writing The Boys, which DC acquired with Wildstorm and they left alone UNTIL he introduced a caricature of Stan Lee who was visually modeled on Hitler.

They dropped the book but they gave all rights back to Ennis including reprints, again for nothing.

He owes his entire career to the industry he thinks he's better than, while desperately trying to copy Mark Millar despite being a better writer overall. The man has an absurd love-hate relationship with the US and with a military he never could bring himself to join (and no known medical deferments).

Talented, intelligent, and completely juvenile and self-indulgent about his own career. I would go so far as to say he has probably never had consensual sex in his life and his daddy issues are off the scale. And this is coming from someone who actually likes his work on Hellblazer back when he had editors to rein him in.

Cause he's what happens when you take a 13 year old edge lord put him in a mans body, and then give him a job making comics. His work basically boils down to

"DAE NIHILISM IS SO COOL LOOK AT ME GUIZ, AIN'T RAPE HILLARIOUS? I HATE SUPERHEROS AND GOD DON'T REAL. I'M IRISH AND I GOTZ DER IRONY. LOLOLOLOLOL RAPE"

If you really want to read something in sort of the same vein go for Pat Mills instead. While he certainly does have a case of THE EDGE he balances it out by actually having some good ideas and interesting concepts unlike Ennis.

Is Garth Ennis the Seth Rogen of comic books?

Yes. That's a pretty apt comparison.

Wow. Party on, Garth.

Seth Rogen produces Preacher and is supposedly working on an adaptation of The Boys.

Hey, wait a minute.......

>I would go so far as to say he has probably never had consensual sex in his life

He's been married for some time now.

This. Steve Dillon was his best man iirc

What, just because DC treated him alright that means he has to enjoy superheroes as a genre? I mean, he's written some good shit like Preacher so that at least gives his opinion some authority. Not to say that hasn't written any stinkers in his career, but I certainly consider his best work a lot better written than your average DC or Marvel comic.

Not to mention he's a big fan of Superman.

Funny you should mention Pat Mills, I actually enjoy The Boys a lot more than Marshall Law despite Marshall Law arguably having the better setting and art. I feel Ennis has a better grasp of his characters in the Boys and despite being a lot more cruder, there's also quite a few genuine moments of feeling.

Don't forget both wrote war comics as well, and Battlefields and War Stories both curbstomp Charley's war.

Meant for

Woah hang on now. Let's not go overboard. They're good but they're nowhere near that great.

They're inconsistent like every other anthology, but when they're great, they're really great. His stories like Dear Billy and Castles in the sky are his real masterpiece and outshine Hitman and preacher.

Don't you know, user, that you're not allowed to make fun of Capeshit. It's not like Ennis ever wrote comics taking the piss out of war and spy stories. But I wouldn't know since I don't read anything but the big two.

>blasting Wolverine at point-blank range in the nuts with a shotgun
>running him over with a steamroller
>shooting him with an RPG leaving him in a pile of his own guts with his lungs hanging out
>reducing all of his dialogue to "Bub" and "Canucklehead"
Nah, Ennis is the hero we need
In this day and age of nigh-constant Wolverine fan-wankery it's refreshing to see him treated like a piece of shit

He's actually known for being a really painfully boring average guy irl.

>He's been married for some time now.
Well aren't I the retard then.
>Steve Dillon was his best man iirc
in every thread where people trolled about his work I routinely said he was by all accounts the nicest guy anyone could work with and he turned his work in on time. Fuck I miss him but I can't imagine how much Garth misses him.

>What, just because DC treated him alright that means he has to enjoy superheroes as a genre?
It means he should respect the industry instead of pulling his cock out and pissing on it. If he hates cape books, fine, but The Pro told that story succinctly. Move on.
>but he did
He did Preacher and Crossed and The Boys. I don't dislike them for being dark, I dislike them for being crap aimed at the same 13 year olds who used to read capeshit. It's hypocritical but worse, it's so fucking beneath what he CAN do. I didn't read Hellblazer because I liked how edgy it was or his asinine subplot about Bonnie Prince Charlie being a sex club deviant, I read it because he did characterization of the mains really well. That's his strength. And god damn it, even he doesn't care much about it any more.

> hate is love turned angry
yeah, something like that.

Very well put, user. Ennis' strenght is character work, it's a shame he keeps dumping edge upon edge on all his works instead of focusing on writing mature, interesting character-driven stories.

I mean if that's what he wants to do, peace, who am I to tell him otherwise, just want more Fury or Punisher MAX or his best war stories rather than more Crossed.

Fury Max is one of the best things he's done, it's got some edge but it works well in my opinion.

ah fuck

f

He's a hack, plain and simple. Everything he's done thats not Punisher related is Beavis and Butthead levels of juvenile 90s trash

Preacher is fucking embarrassing shit, remember the entire issue that's dedicated to worshiping Bill Hicks? Yuck

Also what the hell is the deal with all the castration?

>That casual gay rape in Preacher when he locks all those guys in a basement

>Up the ass, sweet jesus

Preacher has aged just as poorly as those Superman "Slap a Jap" comics

This is now a Garth Ennis Cringe thread, post your best Garth Ennis Cringe

Funny, I was just reading the third Preacher volume right now.

This though. I wouldn't say "wants", but more like "wonders what would have happened if he said yes". That Jesse's rant about being called "insecure" for refusing an assfucking was out of fucking nowhere and ended up looking as the same author tract as the feminist rant.

I forgot how embarrassing this was

>Bill Hicks
>Comedian

Pick one

I'd say the Preacher TV show actually improved on Garth's material. It at least makes Jesse a believable preacher, rather than just a guy who was forced into faith by a Satanic grandmother, but then just decided to continue wearing a preacher shirt.

lol he gets piss drunk and goes on a rant in the first issue because he heard Bill Hicks died

Along with the writing and characterization, Steve Dillon's art goes completely to shit about half way through

i feel embarrassed for you having read this

Yeah, I didn't pick up on the Preacher tv series up until two weeks ago and it's way more believable tonally, while also keeping in much of the ridiculous stuff. I actually like all the characters and find the story engaging, even if a ridiculous amount of suspension of disbelief is necessary on some of the characters actions.

I can only hope that Seth Rogens makes a The Boys tv series in the same way, because I found The Boys to be completely unreadable because of all the edginess.

A straight-up adaptation of an Ennis comic would work for Hellblazer and that Red Rover comic. Those had the right amount of 13 year old humor and a good dose of Ennis emotional depth. Haven't read Hitman yet.

this page sums up this whole guys career. Hes an edgy 13 year old from the 90s.

>not having a passive, always in the background feeling of embarrassment for every second you spend of Sup Forums

lmao newfag

The first time I heard this "What's my agenda" bit it was some conspiracy theorist guy reciting the whole thing completely dead serious. I wasn't really that shocked when I found out it was a Bill Hicks bit

I love Ennis to death, but WW2/Vietnam and New York being jammed into almost everything gets tiresome after a while.

im more put off by nearly everything he's ever done has some part where a guy gets his cock cut off, or bit off in the case of Herr Starr.
The Vietnam stuff is fine because it is a fascinating subject, but the castration is just weird and edgy for weird and edgy's sake

The Boys really gets better as it goes on. Even shows signs of staggering self awareness of how excessively edgy it is. Staggering for Ennis anyway.

>It means he should respect the industry instead of pulling his cock out and pissing on it. If he hates cape books, fine, but The Pro told that story succinctly. Move on.
Who cares? He doesn't outright hate capeshit but he loves to rip on it. He doesn't really make fun of the industry itself out of the Boys, he mostly just makes fun of the genre which even some of the greats like Moore admit is kind of stupid.

As for his edge, I don't mind it. Unlike someone like Millar who uses it for shock value alone, Ennis actually utilizes edge to make his stories unique. The Boys and Hitman for instance wouldn't be the same if not for that bit of edge. I think Crossed is one instance where he went a bit too far and didn't really back it up with substance like his other stories.

I thought it worked for Herr Starr, the entire series he was getting mutilated chasing after Jesse to the point he simply becomes a shell of a man.

Itt: buttmad capefags

Fury Max is a goddamn masterpiece. Underrated as hell too since people only talk about his Punisher run or his cringeworthy stuff.

What does he say when he gets his dick bitten off by a Rottweiler? Isn't it something along the lines of
>My cock is in the bitches mouth, and not in a good way
Such fucking bad writing, good lord

magnifique

He likes war stories, and he has the sense of humor of fifth grader.

I'm a bit of an edge lord, so shit like that is right up my alley. I just get tired of all of his main characters all liking the same things.

>Read "The Boys" expecting it to be Ventures Bros if it was written by Mark Millar
>End up reading a touching story about revenge and masculinity.

The Boys and Fables were the two series that got me back into comics. Did a blind buy on both back when the second trade for The Boys had just come out, and I've been buying a good amount of comics since then.

>Cause he's what happens when you take a 13 year old edge lord put him in a mans body, and then give him a job making comics. His work basically boils down to
I think his work is better written than that, champ. He also has a talent for making up good characters and engaging dialogue. Maybe you're just too uptight and stupid to see past the edgy shit.

It still has the huge problem of being stagnant, they moved from being stationed at some town to being stationed at some apartment. It's missing the roadtrip theme of the original story.

>It means he should respect the industry
Trying to change the industry for the better, by writing stories which deviate from capeshit, ultimately adding more variety and more choice in terms of stories shows more respect than writing the same fanwank that we've read hundreds of times. You're the one who has no respect for the industry and expects it to be all superhero garbage, when the medium is capable of so much more.

>is Beavis and Butthead levels of juvenile 90s trash
Preacher, Hitman and even The Boys have stronger character development and emotional core than your average superhero team trash. You hate things that challenge your preconceptions because you're comfortably dumb.

No but the fact that you posted it sums you up pretty well. I'm guessing you read the part where he abused those klansmen and felt your inbred heritage and feelings hurt. Then he expresses love for an unapologetically liberal comedian and it makes your maga hat itch.

>Dillon knew about the FrankFace meme and went along with trying to fit in as many samefaces as possible

Wew, RIP

Boys was crude and edge a good amount of the times but when it was good, it was real good.

>Gets a bit of shit for having a case of sameface
>"Sameface eh?"
>Proceeds to sameface the fuck out of everything just for shits and giggles

God bless him. RIP.

>You're the one who has no respect for the industry and expects it to be all superhero garbage, when the medium is capable of so much more.
You're fucking retarded.

Why did you even bother replying? You sound assblasted.

That's dakken, though.

Eh he's actually a really capable writer it's hard to deny that after reading War gone by but he does have a lot of problems in his writing

Does it really matter? That's how fight between Wolverine and Punisher should always go.

I completely agree it's honestly one of the best war stories ever told in my opinion

I don't think Logan would outright murder him like that.

Maybe not but Logan would still Fuck him up real good.

He's boringly ugly. There's nothing physically remarkable about him at all. His jaw is weak, like many men. His nose is average largeness. His skin is poor. His lips are thin. His eyes are neither enchanting nor disturbing.

He's just there.

He's a highly successful creator of popular content.
As opposed to yourself, a stunningly handsome virgin who generates shit-posts on a Chinese Puppet Theater board.

>dialog implies frank doesnt truly believe in an afterlife
>has literally gone to heaven and become an angel before

This was Wolverines real revenge.

I think he's saying he won't get to see her in Heaven.

t. Mark Millar

That explains what happened to Trump.

>when they show you the video of ted cruz's dad on the grassy knoll

>his smile and optimism: gone

Overall I liked his Hellblazer stories, but I wish that the First of the Fallen had not been so utterly changed from his first appearance. He seemed chilling and quiet when he first showed up, then devolved into a musclebound idiot.

But Jesse grew up in Bumfuck, Nowhere, and Cassidy is Irish. Wouldn't it be a given that they both have terrible taste?

That's what you consider ugly? At worst he's a bit below average.

It baffles me why he never just tried to get into film/TV or just became an author, who the fuck becomes a comic book writer if they hate superheroes?

>inb4 hurr durr not all comics r capeshit

Yeah well he's written for the big 2 and has written Punisher so shut the fuck up. Frank's still in that universe and still is some sort of hero/anti-hero.