Judge Dredd thread

Judge Dredd thread
creeps and lowlifes will be subject to HARSH judgement

I'm re-reading Cursed Earth right now then I'll go onto Apocalypse War
haven't looked at a lot of the early Dredd in a long time
its funny how he's a little twink in the early comics

>Just ordered my first dredd book after reading a bunch of storytimes on Sup Forums & /tg/ over the years
grabbed casefiles2, what are other good ones?

you can always read them all online
I just bought Casefiles 2 as well to read Cursed Earth
but America and the Dark Judges saga are really great as well as the Block wars/Apocalypse War
really lots of it is really good even the shorter stories

Story Time to save a dying thread
idk what you guys would like to see, so here's part of the Judge Child I like best where Dredd goes to Memphis

always enjoy Dredd's little field trips out into the Cursed Earth

intermission
not even the Judges are above the law

WE

WUZ

KANGS

IM OH TEP
IM OH TEP

tough luck Joe!

Welcome to Texas City!

enough for now
doesn't look like anyone else is here

I'm reading.

thanks for the storytime user

What issue?

What went down in 2120 again?

Shall we find out?

Uh-ooooh...

Hey look everyone, it's Anderson!

And Vampire Hershey, miss guide. Don't you dare forget Vampire Hershey.

Well, that's a problem.

Thanks

My pleasure! Though certainly not Dredd's...

What can go wrong?

>Oh grud how the drokk does this work what the hell is happening
>I'm sorry!

Undaunted by Dredd's pimp backhand, which has seen better days, Anderson is coming for that booty. And there's not a damn thing you can do to stop her.

>Hey Joe
>Are you...
>Hangin' there?

I don't generally see the appeal of newspaper strip versions of titles when full issues are available, but the Dredd strips are so consistently good

To me it works because so much of Dredd is world-building through small, tiny, ultimately inconsequential cases, and the newspaper strips are that in its most condensed form. They feel like one of the ten thousand cases a judge handles per day, like Dredd solves eight of these on his way to a Sector House.

Huh.

thanks user, it was a nice storytime.

Well, all's well that ends well.
Also, no points for guessing how long it took for that scar to be 100% forgotten.

It helps that the Daily Star strips were mostly the same creative team as the regular issues

>Also, no points for guessing how long it took for that scar to be 100% forgotten.
Dredd has had about three new skins since then

Long as we're talking Dredd, here's Judge Hershey drawn by Simon Bisley.

Brian Bolland made a fascist police state look like a lot of fun, that's an artist for ya!

I am here

If that's talking Dredd, let's talk some more Dredd.

Right, so I cleaned out my old house during the week, and found the first couple of progs I ever bought,but I couldn't find the story that made me realize how great Dredd is. I can't even remember if it was in 2000AD or the Meg. But I'll describe it here, and if any of you encyclopedic earthlets can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The story opens on a monkey spray-painting "Judges suck" on a wall. The narration is of this guy. He has a fianceƩ, possibly a wife, a nice car and a job. People are always telling him how blessed he is, how lucky, and he believes them.

Then one day, the car crashes. His wife is horribly killed, but he makes it out. He's alive, but completely paralysed. He sits in his bed, staring blankly, as the doctors tell him how lucky he is to have made it out.

To help him with basic menial tasks, they give him this helper monkey, that he communicates via psychic implants in his temples. He and the monkey bond, as the doctors tell him how lucky he is to have found a friend among all his tragedy.

But he's depressed, and he can't take it anymore. Trapped in an unmoving body with all his pain, he hatches his plan. He has the monkey do the graffiti and get Dredd's attention, the subsequent chase is peppered throughout the guys life story.

The monkey, confused about what's going on, races back to the guy's hospital room. The guy knows as soon as Dredd kicks down that door, he'll be put out of his misery. So Dredd bursts in, lawgiver in-hand, and the guy's ready to die, but that monkey cares too much for his friend and master, and he jumps in front of Dredd's bullet.

Dredd says he doesn't really know what just happened, but the guy sure is lucky he didn't get caught in the crossfire.

The last panel is this man in a hospital bed, vegetative, unmoving, with a tear running down his cheek and a dead, bloody monkey in his lap. I thought it was the funniest fucking thing in the world.

I hate it when meme faggots enjoy the same comics I do.

>Inb4 SEETHING, TRIGGERED or some other retardry

Aww, youre special and your precious secret isn't yours alone.
"Hipster."

dreddthredd

The writer obviously expected Dredd to not be wearing his uniform here

No, you're just being a cunt is all.

bump fuckers before i read the thraed

>Dredd found the hologram inside the house
That hologram looks an awful lot like a piece of paper.

Maybe it is a hologram on a piece of paper?

You legend! You hero! Where was this one printed?

That tail ? And !.

doesnt the child turn out to be an asshole? Its been awhile since I read this

prog 647

Thanks user, been hunting this one since I first read it.

>MC1 has an actual fucking Time Monitoring Lab with a 'DANGER' pie chart

>fucking akira reference on the right

>Bisley drew Hershey
Whoa shit, that's rad. Just as busty as his usual work, thank grud.

> Simon Bisley
Fuck Yeah. I wish he would draw more.

Ah.

Thinking about buying the complete case files and reading through them all, does the low paper quality detract from the experience?

Paper's pretty good quality, IMO.

I want an episode of Dredd drawn (and maybe written) by Sergio Aragones.

Yup pure evil as it turns out

Erryone love the Biz.

While the early progs were printed on the cheapest paper available the casefile reprints are a much higher standard. I've got a couple of well thumbed volumes and they have held up really well

>Leviathan's Farewell
>Shamballa
>The Jesus Syndrome
>Childhood's End

Is this arc the high-water mark of the Dreddverse?

Certainly for Anderson. She's got by far the most well-developed spinoff of the whole verse.
As for Dredd himself, I think the build-up to Necropolis and the years from Origins to Day of Chaos are his high points character wise. But action-wise, it's all about the Apocalypse War for me.