What are Sup Forums's thoughts on Genndy's Clone Wars?

What are Sup Forums's thoughts on Genndy's Clone Wars?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jwMhX0iWUes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it alright

i don't think about it

It's the only prequel era material I like.

It and Rogue One are the only Star Wars I like.

The Clone Wars series had a better story.

Genndy's Clone Wars absolutely out-spectacled it, though.

It's over-the-top, ridiculous, and doesn't hold up quite as well as nostalgiafags would have you believe. I guess it was okay.

It's better than the prequels, that's for sure

And I don't care what anyone says, it's canon in my eyes

this is my least favorite meme, everything Obi-Wan told or implied to Luke basically went out the window as soon as they made Anakin and Vader the same person and Obi-Wan says as much in ROTJ

Genndywars is Samurai Jack with a Star Wars skin so I'm not sure why people expected something deep

>It's over-the-top, ridiculous
That's what i like about it

It's aesthetic. Obviously a non-canonical representation of Jedi powers, but that wasn't the point.

You. I like you.

I'd also add Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and maybe the KotoR games. I only ever played 1 for a short bit of time, but it seemed pretty good actually.

Style without substance, and does not fit in the actual Star Wars movies.

Why I could never get into Star Wars. The movies could never live up to them, and looked really lame in comparison.

>liking Rogue One
I'll never understand you people.

alright

fun and doesn't overstay its welcome but not deep

How to tell if someone is a tasteless faggot? Here, look at the post number 95092729. What a fucking tasteless faggot.

It's "gritty and real."
These same people applaud the "excellent fight choreography" in MCU films. Shit that ten Chinese guys with some ladders and chairs were outdoing about 50 years ago.

>and does not fit in the actual Star Wars movies
Because SW sucks. Only good things about SW are the KOTOR games and memes

>Style without substance
>does not fit in the actual Star Wars movies.
Pick one

>being this mad that I said something was okay
I never even said it was bad, because it isn't.

It's
NOT CANON
O
T

C
A
N
O
N

>It's "gritty and real."

And also colorful and has a variety of locations. What SW should always have.

I kinda liked Rogue One. I certainly liked it more than FA. FA felt completely unoriginal and Disney just trying to nostalgia the fuck out of people.

I liked the side Characters. I didn't really care for Catnip clone #238 or Mr. "I was abducted from the set of Le Mis", but The snarky Droid companion who was actually useful was nice. I also really like the Blind guy for his part in returning the force to it's subtle spiritual Space magic roots, and His Mongolian bodyguard was pretty badass. I wish they had gotten more screen time than What's her face and her dad plot. Also it was hilarious watching the Villian fight over the Death Star like two children fighting over a toy.

>2 of the greatest Star Wars games ever
More like one and a half of the greatest games ever.

Its the best thing about the prequels, the movies and CGI series are unwatchable.

I get the music stuck in my head pretty often.

My favorite scenes were the fight between Asajj Ventress and Anakin, the clones fighting with their hand signals, and the attempt to get Palpatine to Safety with Shaak Ti.

Had a lot of moments, but yeah the short format doesn't leave much room for substance.

Definitely looked good in 2D. Any moment looked better than the 3D cartoons, outside of the weird low detail ship CGI, and loads better than the holiday special of course.

>Did I ever mention your father's apprentice that he had for years?

Agreed on both, especially the second.

It's better than CGI Clone Wars in my eyes, too.

Is she canon anymore? How did she die?

I like her well enough as as character, but it's inescapable that Ahsoka is complete bullshit and should not exist. TCW is the show that should be non-canon, simply because of her.

>Genndy using the method of just shoving as much shit on screen and moving it so fast you can't even tell what is happening

It's severely overrated, not bad, but overrated

Yeah, she's an okay character I guess, but I still can't get around the fact that she simply should not exist. I don't care if Lucas did create her or oversee the show. Lucas isn't always right.

I also find resurrected Darth Maul terrible too.

>How did she die?
So far Filoni has been chickening out of actually confirming her dead, which I think is pretty weak.

I don't get how people DIDN'T like it. The characters were great, the action was great, the dogfights were great, and the story had a lot of emotional impact. It's probably the one SW movie where it REALLY pulled me in, made me attached to the characters, and had me rooting for them even though I knew their fates were sealed. Felicity Jones was fine as hell too. Goddamn, was she fine as hell. I wanted to do so many things to her, it's not even funny.

I thought it was fantastic, no matter how exaggerated the Jedi's powers were.

Loved it as a kid, kind of meh on it as an adult. I don't mind that genndy went extremely over top with the powers, but I do mind the decade-and-a-half of whowouldwinfags using it as a legitimate example of jedi power levels. If jedi could solo armies, they wouldn't have suffered 90% casualties on Geonosis.

And it helps enhance A New Hope, knowing as you watch it what the Rebellion had to go through for Luke to make that shot.

She was Filoni's first OC. He's keeping her as alive as he possibly can

Yeah, it kinda annoys me that he does that while he kills other characters off.

It was awesome.

I don't understand how people consider this some of the best SW media

OH WOW LOOK AT THOSE MILLIONS OF STARFIGHTERS ON SCREEN SHOOTING AT THE OTHER MILLIONS OF STARFIGHTERS

LOOK AT THE 6000000 ARTILLARY UNITS AND WALKERS THEY HAVE

LOOK AT ALL THE EXPLOSIONS

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT? WHAT'S THAT? IT DOESN'T INVOLVE MINDLESS ACTION! THEN WE DON'T WANT ANY

NO TALKING JUST SHOOTING! PEW PEW PEW YEAAAAAAAAH!

NOW HERE COMES THE GIANT HAMMER THINGY THE DROIDS HAVE TO SMOOSH THE CLONES

I can't stand it, it's just a continuous action scene

I hated how Ashoka was shoehorned into almost every episode of Clone Wars and then she got to be in Rebels. Worse Filoni sacrified Barriss Offee to get her out of Order 66. Even though Barriss Offee's confession was probably my favorite scene in the Clone Wars.

It's cool, I just wish there was more too it than the action.

Every "character development" scene in the prequels is FUCKING AWFUL

Genndy at least gave us good action sequences and the Jedi being useful fighters for ONCE.

Loved it

Better than the trash cgi series.

>implying I like the prequel development scenes

I was thinking something like the development in TCW CG cartoon which was great but whatever floats your boat

Preach. Every character interaction in the prequels is so plastic.

>t. never watched most of the series

Honestly I think Star Wars in general needs to be retired. It's been 40 years, guys. I think we'e told enough stories in this universe.

SW is a great series, one of the most influential films ever. But it's time for a new space opera franchise to take its place, it needs a successor.

I know it won't ever end and Disney will milk it as hard as they can but a man can dream.

I watched all of it, and it was all trash.

For every good episode there was like five trash episodes.

>useful fighters
>Hi, I'm Mace Windu. You remember Geonosis? where I lost hundreds of my comrades in a drawn-out fight against battle-droids? It turns out, that was just us being lazy. Me and the other Jedi COULD have just punched all of those droids to death in a few seconds, but it would have taken too much effort.

The jedi fights in that series were largely just a series of "what-ifs"

Nice bait.

There's literally nothing wrong with Jedi being powerful. What's the point of having space wizards if you're just going to limit them to being able to lift slightly heavy objects with their minds?

I swear to God, you people have no vision.

I don't mind having powerful space wizards. I mind inconsistency. Clone Wars was inconsistent with the films.

Some fans have theorized that Mace didn't use his crazy Force powers at Geonosis because they would've potentially knocked around his Jedi buddies who were standing close to him.

Also, he would've kicked up a lot of sand, which would've been a huge deterrence to Anakin (who Mace was supposed to be defending along with Padme and Obi-Wan)

>I could look through the thread that has criticism of the show literally just being mindless action for it's entirety with characters we either do not care about or we know will live
>but I'll just only use one of the criticisms that provide the least problems with the series

If you agree with what I said then why are you replying?

The series was mediocre overall. There were genuinely good episodes here and there, but they were evened out by a bunch of mediocre ones and the occasional outright shit one.

>Shit that ten Chinese guys with some ladders and chairs were outdoing about 50 years ago.
It's amazing what you can accomplish choreography-wise with acrobats that have trained their entire lives, belong to no Union, and are perfectly willing to be ambulanced off the set for a great shot.

I mean, look at what The Road Warrior accomplished with drunken bogans with no common sense.

Well that sounds like the flimsiest of possible excuses. Also kek.

More likely that - hear me out now - Genndy didn't care to make things line up perfectly with the films, and was more interested in making stuff look cool

For fucks sake, the acting was a little spotty. Everyone knows that, but the actual characterization was fine.

To accomplish Order 66 in the Genndy universe would have required atomics launched from orbit.

Windu would just ride on them

TFA is the worst piece of star wars media by far

prove me wrong

by the book, TFA was not a bad movie. It is well-written, well-scored, has good cinematography, good effects, the works.

However, it is so lacking in any originality that it plummets to the bottom of the list.

I legit got to know more about the character of Anakin with this shots than with the fucking prequels.

At least you could understand why Obi-Wan considered him such a good friend

Well written? The plot was a near shot-for-shot remake of a previous film in the franchise, with minor variables substituted.

Also ton of stupid self-contradicting plotholes. Try to notice where everyone is before, during, and after the starkiller firing scene for example.

The score was forgettable as fuck. People still remember Duel of Fates or the songs that played during Anakin vs. Obi-Wan or Order 66 decades later...but nobody can tell me 1 piece from TFA that wasn't just stolen from the OT.

>At least you could understand why Obi-Wan considered him such a good friend

why are you fags so fucking hung up on this line

Because it's something that George should've shown more in the movies, but the most we see of their friendship is 2 minutes in Attack of the Clones and about 30 minutes of Revenge of the Sith.

You'd have to throw this fucker into the sun durge style

>Well written?
>a near shot-for-shot remake of a previous film in the franchise
You said it yourself.
The film had absolutely no originality, but it was using such a great basis that it was impossible to fuck up in any major way. Why do you think it is so popular among the oldfags who grew up with ANH?

>Because it's something that George should've shown more in the movies

why

I think Clone Wars is quite fairly a candidate to be Genndy's best work. It's interesting: the fact that so many of the episodes are so short, less than ten or even less than five minutes, seems to amplify the things Genndy's already good at: pacing, choreography, sense of space, timing, effect. They're so gorgeous and stylish, and they manage to do so much in so little time. If "animated shorts" is a category they're probably all up there with the best made in the last quarter-century.

I honestly don't think that every cartoon needs to have a bunch of characterization or even a coherent plot (genndywars does have a mostly coherent plot though if you understands star wars in the slightest). I love it too.

Even before Disney's "Legends" rebranding in 2014, Genndy Wars was ambiguously canon because it contradicted some other EU stuff. Volume 2 was based on a rough draft of the EU book Labyrinth of Evil, and quite a bit was rewritten the final draft. It was too late for them to change it to fit better with the final book in the end because the episodes were too far into production.

In the final version of the book, Anakin and Obi-Wan go to Tythe -- not Nelvaan at all -- while the finer details of the Battle of Coruscant are very different such as the number of Jedi involved and their paths to the Chancellor's bunker (in the book, Shaak Ti and co got Sheev to a private train that led to his bunker with not too much fighting, but in the show, they jump around the city fighting MagnaGuards while carrying Sheev to the bunker).

Because pic related said they were good friends, but the prequels never did a good job of showing that. TCW did, but few have bothered to watch it.

>doesn't hold up quite as well as nostalgiafags would have you believe

It holds up just fine. It does what it was originally supposed to do really well, which is provide a narrative bridge between "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" while also giving cool fight scenes.

youtube.com/watch?v=jwMhX0iWUes

pic related also said that anakin and darth vader were two different people

Yeah, my dream would be Genndy doing a superhero show in his style.

Canon variations amongst different media types isn't uncommon in Star Wars. The Radio Drama for ANH includes an entirely new Imperial Lord that Leia murders at dinner, and even portrays Luke threading the stone needle in begger's canyon.

It was the one and only time i ever took Grievous seriously.

Seriously. That was some GOOD shit.

Genndy, do more horror. You got some talent there.

Yup, General Grievous is intimidating in Genndy hands but a useless buffon with Lucas.

Every western action cartoon should be done by Genndy.

They fixed this later on by saying Anakin and Obi-Wan took a detour to Nelvaan between missions in Labyirnth of evil, with the scene where they're on the cruiser at the end taking place after Tythe (with the recton being Anakin was just tweaking his robotic arm, not making a new one altogether, otherwise he would've gone through the Tythe battle without having his right arm despite the book mentioning he has it).

I think its alright, i just prefer TCW because its onpar with the films and shows star wars as it was ment to be a serial space opera, gennedywars was always just a spin off, while TCW is an essential, and the best, part of the saga.

this, you can like both equally

>Battlefront 2
My negro

friendly reminder that Darth Nihilus is /ourguy/

What he said was true, from a certain point of view

>does nothing but screech like an autist
Yep

>Because pic related said they were good friends, but the prequels never did a good job of showing that.
lies

I prefer Rogue One over TFA because it actually felt like their was a grander universe to it. TFA never felt like anything other than a movie.

this tbqh

>TFA never felt like anything other than a movie.

Fuck, this hit hard with the hammer of truth.

This

I fucking hated how expendable the clones were, but I'm not gonna sit through was it possibñy the ugliest fucking animation i've ever seen AKA the clone wars

Only redeeming feature of the Star Wars prequels.