ITT: Shows/comics that match this description

ITT: Shows/comics that match this description

The Venture Bros.

FLCL

Sonic Boom

Rick and Morty

Wes Anderson movies?

You don't win anything by watching these, though.

Sym-Bionic Titan, it was literally a hybrid of a high school drama and a mecha action show.

You are in Sup Forums, we all discovered this in the hard way

I guess we should also include Power Rangers then

Cant go wrong there

Steven Universe

Neo Genesis Evangelion fits that description better than anything posted here because it includes the magic part.

gumball

This
I don't understand that argument, it's not hard to write how actual people would react in a fantastical situation.
TV writers are just salty because they can't write actual people and don't think people should expect them to cover plot holes.

Regular Show.

This pic is a great example of the Simpsons' writers' disconnect with the youth and modern pop culture.

There are literally hundreds of show that juxtapose everyday life and problems with an absolutely insane double life, or even meld the two like in Steven Universe where Steven is an rock-human abomination with a crazy life but also everyday problems that make him cry like your average fat little sissy.

That is from many years ago, and western animation barely has anything like this. As user said, the only thing on this thread that truly fit the description is Neon Genesis Evangelion and FLCL The rest lack in some aspect.

yeah and the bad juxtaposition's ruining it.

The Proud Family

I know that it's from many years ago, Simpsons also stopped dictating pop culture many years ago. Now they try to be "hip" and "with it" by referencing months old if not years old memes. It's just sad. But you can sort of pin-point where it started to go wrong. They grew too fat and complacent, didn't want to change the show to stay relevant, or replace the old writers with new ones who would know what's up with today's world.

I also disagree, with you on only FLCL and Eva fitting the bill. Unless you take the "magical flying robots" bit autistically literally.

The argument even fits back then, though: kids always wanted Transformers and GI Joe and Thundercats and stuff to be more relatable without sacrificing the crazy or adding """relatable""" characters. They want crazy situations that fuel their imaginations complimented by characters struggling with social problems that they can empathize with.

You went on an unrelated rant over how Nu Simpsons is shit, I dunno why. But yeah, its shit and all.

>Unless you take the "magical flying robots" bit autistically literally.

Its suppused to be an integral part of the show.

jojo's bizarre adventure

That is literally Little Witch Academia.

basically spiderman and the x-men up to the 90es

>realistic and down to earth
No. Just no. I love it, but it's all madness.

The Last Airbender.
Batman the animated series
Spiderman the animated series
Superman the animated series

I'd say mostly around 88/89 was when that stopped being the main focus, but yeah.

They were so big because they combined impossible, imaginative events with human drama. It both acts as a window into the supernatural and as a character study. Kids can both have a sounding board for their frustrations (why doesn't this girl like me, why am I not accepted, why are people so unfair) while also experiencing issues they don't personally know and get insight into how other people think. It's also entertaining to adults because of the common dramatic irony (Peter blames himself for all the wrong things, most of the X-Men are hypocrites, etc) and the soap opera structure. And then the weirdness and action is great when juxtaposed with this, as it gives weight to the drama and breaks up the monotony.

Shame how the people running the company don't understand what made their books sell.

>el chavo reaction image

Ahuevo guey.

The original Gundam, Maccross, Cyborg 009, Card Captor Sakura, Doremi, Minky Momo (subs never), Liveman, Jetman.

Didn't we get Szechuan sauce.

Scott Pilgrim is a decent comic example
The idiocy and personal issues are pretty grounded in reality, but the fights and shit are out there.