We will know truth

m.ign.com/articles/2017/09/05/batman-reads-rorschachs-journal-from-watchmen-in-doomsday-clock-teaser

Figured u fuckers outta see this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk
youtube.com/watch?v=qnYdteja7Y0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Neat. I wonder what else has DC planned for NYCC

Okay seriously can someone go and burn DC the fuck down? There's a wildfire right now can they direct it to hit DC and hell have it hit WB too just to be sure

>Batman gets redpilled by Rorschach's journal
do it Johns

I never understood this reactions towards the book. Why is Watchmen treated with such regards that not even DC (the company that made the book and basically owns it) can do anything with it?

I wonder about this too. Why some people are so bitter about this?

People treat it like the Quran.

Because it is literally the greatest comic in the history of the medium.
It's the Godfather Part 2 of comics but even more valuable as there hasn't been half as many great comics as their has been great movies.

At first I thought it was just gonna be Superman meets Manhattan but it's clear now that it's more than that.

Fuck off Outhousers

muh sacred cow

>Because it is literally the greatest comic in the history of the medium.

youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk

youtube.com/watch?v=qnYdteja7Y0

It is peak artists expression of this genre. Calling it a genrefiction is actually disingenuous to the piece and to Moore.

>wah wah my precious watchmen wah
Go home alan moore.

>NOT MUH

lol

probably because Watchmen is supposed to be self contained, its a world without alternate universe copouts,character revivals or ultimately a perfect resolution and Doomsday clock is going wel against that
that and DC screwed Moore out of the rights

It's not even the best Moore comic, casual

Never understood why people get so salty over stuff like watchmen getting expanded on in other properties when A) the original run still exists and dc is never taking it out of print so you can always read it again and B) the die hard fans who "not muh" over everything have already consigned themselves to only reading the original because future works won't be by the creator who made the original so they shouldn't care about how future iterations turn out.
Get over it tards, you still have your precious original watchmen to glue the pages together over.

Because it is a stand alone piece of fiction.
It has nothing to do with the quality or sacredness of the book it is because it is a stupid idea.
It would be like putting Frodo,C3PO, And Roland in the DC universe because...reasons

>Because it is a stand alone piece of fiction.
It still is.

and so they still have their stand alone book and can consider doomsday clock non canon and put their fingers in their ears.

But until you read it you don't even know what those reasons are yet.

I think DC is doing the only thing that is left to do with superheroes, because every story has been told. That last thing is prosecuting hypertextuality to the full extent of the law. Have two Supermen from two different continuities collide and have people deal with it. You know Watchmen? Well, now they get to know Batman! It's a wild clusterfuck and I love it.

It feels a bit like early DC where they just would put popular heroes from their lineup in books together. I mean, isn't that how superheroes as a genre evolved to what it is? Just put all the shit you got in your lineup in books together, even if that shit shouldn't fit tonally (like Batman and Superman).

Marvel had Conan on super-ancient Earth-616 and Elric in the Multiverse years ago because they owned the comic rights. Same here.

People just want something to rage over, because it's nice to worry about trivial shit more than you should when you have much non-trivial life turds to worry about.

Also Godzilla on present-day 616

>the original run still exists and dc is never taking it out of print so you can always read it again
That's my stance but Watchmen and its subsequent affairs very much stand for the disingenuous practices of capitalism.

But capitalism is what made the superhero genre possible. It would literally not exist if it wasn't for ruthless capitalistic practices, not from a sales standpoint and not from a content standpoint.

I'm not saying that capitalism and its focus on revenue is a good thing, but in this case the genre would not have been possible without it. It would just have died out after the first few vigilante dailies, there would have been no reason at all to make superhero universes etc..

Which doesn't say that Watchmen is "wrong", and while putting Watchmen in other DC properties is very much motivated by profit, this is the same kind of process that made Watchmen itself possible. It's greed mixed with creativity.

Because Watchmen is treated as some kind of sacred cow by people who really need to read more comics, and ideally not capeshit. Exploring European, Japanese, etc content uncovers things that absolutely put Watchmen to shame in terms of craft, character development, storytelling and ideas.

I also have to suspect people so utterly awestruck by Watchmen must be fairly young. All the references to historical events, literature, music, etc seemed like genius to my sixteen-year-old self but now a decade later it all seems quite trite. Moore doesn't have anything to say about these things, he offers no deep insight or analysis. They're simply peppered into the story to signal that the author assumes he's more literate than the majority of his readership.

Honestly, the older I get the less I like Watchmen. I don't think it's even Moore's best work, let alone the best comic ever created.

what would you consider his best work?

I think From Hell is his best work, where he really shines from a narrative perspective. From Hell has a lot of references, but certainly doesn't need them. I don't think he puts them in there because of vanity, but because he likes putting in stuff he likes or finds interesting. He's no grand master of philosopher, but sort of a fan boy for all things curious historical or literary events and wants to put them in his work, so that they appear in a new distorted light. Gaiman is like that too, though instead of Lovecraftian he's more Shakespearean and "poetic".

You just gotta take them for what they are: fanboys of culture with a knack for storytelling.

by comparison Hiriko Arahki does a better job at snipping in references to pop culture and historical periods. His jojo stories are a good example not counting how every character and their psychic ghost pokemon are named after rock songs. I'm talking more about how he'll mention a specific historical event that happened during a jojo part and then shuts up and gets on with the story. Doesn't milk it, just writes plot.

My statement was more of an observation with some level of critique. I know and understand the reality and when it comes to Watchmen, I really don't give a fuck because I can appreciate it just as much after the corporation is done vandalizing it. People should still call shit out though. And I'm not passing my remark because its Watchmen like a lot of people would, rather because I hate these practices and I would still call them out. One has to wonder and wonder we all should, that how much of this Doomsday Clock is because of creative liberty under capitalism and how much of it is capitalism driving the creative liberty and creatives and when you see DC's track record of doing sequels and prequels to these evergreen stories this decade, you have to at least sneer at it.

Is this the endgame of the DCEU?

I understand now. Watchmen took place in the rebirth universe past.

>exploring European, Japanese content
Pleb taste

>Exploring European, Japanese, etc content uncovers things that absolutely put Watchmen to shame in terms of craft, character development, storytelling and ideas.
Like what? Not arguing, just looking to branch out

>Exploring European, Japanese, etc content uncovers things that absolutely put Watchmen to shame in terms of craft, character development, storytelling and ideas.

Watchmen was already ruined by the shitty movie and side-stories.
At least we'll get something fun out of this dumpster fire.

I'm going to agree with , I think. I was thoroughly engaged by From Hell when I read it a few years ago. The scratchy period-appropriate art and apparently huge volume of research really shine through in that one. Moore's propensity to regurgitate obscure facts with little slant, bias or analysis actually serves the purpose of the book rather than harming it.

I also think Tom Strong and Top Ten - most of the ABC stuff, really - is very underrated. Granted it doesn't have the cerebral cache of Watchmen but in some ways that's why I like it more. It's unpretentious, just solid storytelling and playing with classic pulp/comicbook archetypes.

I also think for something he considers his worst work, taken in isolation Killing Joke is a pretty excellent piece of storytelling and dissection of character psychology for both Batman and Joker.

IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING JOJO'S REFERENCE?!

I like Araki, but I think his biggest contribution to the medium is having fights that play out more like a chess game than a bar brawl, which is pretty unusual for shonen. I wouldn't consider his work "best in field" or anything like that.

Are all those clock pieces flying into Supermans crotch?

From Hell is my favorite Moore work as well.

Watchmen is good, but there's no reason to act like it's untouchable.

>Doomsday has arrived

>Johns
>fun

>Jojo
Fucking Jojo! Only on Sup Forums will you see fags who think Shonen thrash like Jojo is some higher writing. No wonder you guys are excited for Doomsday clock.

Read Tatsumi's Good-bye and Tezuka's Message to Adolf.

If you don't think Steel Ball Run is the hypest shit then stay the fuck outta my face.

Weren't the Transformers there at some point too?

You know what? I don't even give a fuck at this point. Never liked Watchmen, and the heroes of the DCU potentially revealing the Pyrrhic tone of its resolution sounds like the sweetest chocolate brownie I've never had.

>Sup Forumsmblr shits on Moore for years but gets upset because Watchmen is sacred now and can't be intermixed with current DC
>mfw these are the same queers crying because capcom and star wars won't cross over with marvel

This board is such a joke it's sick

>a publisher making books is disingenuous

Ok pal

Cool, he is going to bring Ozy to jail for his crimes, oh wait, he doesn't exist, better bring Grail back.

Outhousers on suicide watch.

I'll give you five from each that I think would be good starters.

Japan:
>Domu
>2001 Nights
>No Guns Life
>Vagabond
>Crying Freeman

Europe:
>Bad Company
>The Incal (I'm recommending this above things like The Deviation and The Airtight Garage because it's still in print, good luck finding copies of Moebius' other work for sensible prices)
>Sharaz-De
>Ranxerox
>Nikopol Trilogy

This book encapsulates Johns' entire career.

Weak ending for a retread of fanservice
Wasted characters who die in the lamest Boring first quarter

>The Incal (I'm recommending this above things like The Deviation and The Airtight Garage because it's still in print, good luck finding copies of Moebius' other work for sensible prices)

Is it like that in the US? I'm in Germany and over here you can get e.g. the Airtight Garage for 10 euros in some comic book stores. There are old Moebius editions everywhere. Well, not everywhere, but it's not hard to find them for a reasonable price.

>all these "m-muh sacred cow" autists
Just end yourselves now, cucks. This is going to be fucking epic.

>It would be like putting Frodo,C3PO, And Roland in the DC universe because...reasons
>implying I don't want to read that

>Because it is a stand alone piece of fiction
>Watchmen is supposed to be self contained

How do people say this without a straight face about the guy who wrote League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

It's okay when Alan does it, but don't you ever touch his work.

I don't see how this event magically tarnishes the image of the original in any way. If people are really up in arms, you're a bit late, the movie kind of did that already

English language editions are like gold dust. Scuttlebut is it's because Moebius' second wife/widow is a huge cunt who wants vast sums of money for the rights to his work, and won't negotiate at all with English-language publishers because she doesn't speak English and worries she might leave money on the table.

An English copy of Airtight Garage is at least a £100 investment here in the UK.

Wait a min....is the tone gonna be like watchmen? Is there gonna be pirate comics? Is silk now in her late middle ages?

Did Dr.M blew up his earth many times creating DC characters there? The Mars and debris suggest so.

>writer takes Jekyll and Hyde for new book
GENIUS!!!
>DC takes Watchmen characters for new book
BLASPHEMY!!!

...you being serious right now? I honestly can't tell anymore.

The movie was a shitty adaptation, but this is sort of a continuation. Honestly I don't care. I like watchman so I will pretend this doesn't exist.

Watchmen*

Right? Watchmen is still very self contained, and worst case scenario you treat this as non canon fanfic or whatever.

It's not, though.

This is just "wouldn't it be cool if we put Watchmen characters in the DC verse?" ... it's the exact same as what Moore did for LoEG. I dare you to find a difference.

Don't ask Sup Forums for Euro comics recs. Most of it will be shitty Sci fi. Just have a look at any /euro/ thread to know how shitty Sup Forums's taste is.

I'm being facetious.
Also remember that Moore wrote a "What if Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and the Wizard of Oz were just allegories for women going through puberty and all these girls had sex with a bunch of guys and each other?"

>Also remember that Moore wrote Lost Girls
...I'd rather not

It's sort of how Neil Gaiman doesnt want dc using sandman material despite the fact that it immediately includes the justice league and john constantine. Basically Moore and Gaiman are just petty hypocrites.

I don't know why people are so adverse to Diana wearing pants
I think it was hot as cakes and makes her more attractive, not to mention avoiding the old bikini armor argument

He does allow it, he just wants approval. Weisman and Bates getting Death wrong really miffed him.

Batman reading Rorschach's journal with a mug of coffee is fucking hilarious.

>"Wait a second, this isn't Harry Potter"

Is it really just that? I tough it was a direct continuation from watchmen's end. I don't see what's the fuss about then.

Because LOEG was Moore using characters that would be guaranteed to sell.

It is, but LoEG also takes place after all their respective characters' books.

The Watchmen characters are just Donut Steels of the Charlton characters because DC didn't want Moore to go batshit crazy with a property they had just bought.

What's funny to me is the idea of Bruce reading it and thinkning "Man, this guy sounds nuts"

She never wore pants costume wise historically. Plus amazons didn't wear pants either.

>the author assumes he's more literate than the majority of his readership.

The irony is palpable. At least Moore's presumption is in a published work instead of a bathroom stall on the internet. But you sound like a super smart 26 year old, props.

You'd be retarded to think that they're the same thing.

Of course decades later, it's okay if Morrison does it.

>Because LOEG was Moore using characters that would be guaranteed to sell.
...so it's EXACTLY the same thing, then?

Ok then, explain why they're different. I'll wait.

Not him but if you don't see a difference in the quality and imagination of Geoff Johns and Alan Moore then you're being deliberately obtuse. But then again that's this whole thread.

Condescending and with no actual substance. More irony in this reply's resemblance to a Moore comic, honestly.

But I don' think more intent to pass LoEG as an official continuation to all the characters he borrowed unlike this.

>property they had just bought
Because decades later they hadn't just bought it.

>moving goalposts this much

Fucking disgusting.

>Bruce turns out to be Rorschach, the DC universe was created by Manhattan to give him a happy ending of sorts

>Talented writer makes something
>Hack grabs it a few decades later and craps all over it
>There are people in this thread autistic enough to not understand why people may have a problem with this