Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

Oswald's first short, "Trolley Troubles", premiered 90 years ago today!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xro8kS0R-xs
youtube.com/watch?v=UeTIdWtee9k
youtube.com/watch?v=dkKG1ed87WY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post a link, OP. Find it on YouTube for us. Don't be a square.

You existed to be in two video games and then was promptly forgotten by your parent company

>Trolley Troubles premiered in Los Angeles at the Criterion Theater along with Metro Goldwyn Mayer's Flesh and the Devil on the Fourth of July, 1927
That's according to the Hand Behind the Mouse

whats the official? is this guy still public domain, or did universal and disney cuck us out of this one for good?

>his sole purpose was to be in a product that wouldn't be popular until 50+ years after his creation
You're a smart fellow, user.

Sorry, meant to say sole reason to be brought back to Disney in '09

I'm kind of scared to find out what Uncle Walt is going to direct that young girl to do.

Here it is with the orchestral soundtrack from the Disney DVD:
youtube.com/watch?v=xro8kS0R-xs
Most places list the release date as September 5th. Maybe it was first publicly screened on July 4th, then got wider distribution two months later.
I *think* the shorts are in the public domain, but the character wasn't since Universal was still using him (albeit in a greatly altered form) up until the 60's.

Oswald was last used in the Mickey Mouse short Canned
@1:17

I have him :D

I have both. They are great.

>his character wasn't since Universal was still using him up until the 60's

alright, and sending him back to disney probly ripped his "topless with shorts" form off the public domain too, huh?

i just wanted to see him and felix yucking it up. oh well

Oswald is shitty, generic, Felix clone. Why people keep hyping him like he's big deal?

You sure can create one edgy narrative where EVIL Mickey Mouse replaced him, and now he's out for vengeance, but that also got old like 10 years ago.

He's a Felix copy and a mediocre half-way Mickey. Nothing but that, really.

What's so lucky about him?

Because he's proto-Mickey and you can see through the shorts how they were gradually laying the foundation for the original Mickey cartoons.

Also "Oh What a Knight" was amazing for its time.

>Because he's proto-Mickey
So what? A literal sketch, that was not very original in the first place. It's almost a DeviantArt Donut Steel.

>Also "Oh What a Knight" was amazing for its time.

Still not impressive as Steamboat Willie

>alright, and sending him back to disney probly ripped his "topless with shorts" form off the public domain too, huh?
Nah, that's not how it works. Characters like Oswald are trademarked, which means the character remains owned by Disney for as long as he's in use. It's individual cartoons like "Trolley Troubles" that are in public domain, so they can be remixed and resold or messed with. This is the same situation with Mickey. The character will remain trademarked forever basically, but Steamboat Willie and other individual cartoons will enter public domain unless copyright terms are extended again.

It's also why Disney is making a lot of new Mickey Mouse shorts, so that those will become the standard Mickey Mouse, while they'll ignore the ones that enter the public domain outside of historical acknowledgement.

>Also "Oh What a Knight" was amazing for its time.

Same goes for Hungry Hobos. Some incredible personality animation here.
youtube.com/watch?v=dkKG1ed87WY

>trademark vs copyright

This. Oh, god, this.
So many people think that Oswald, or Mickey, or Betty Boop or whoever should be in the public domain because some of their cartoons are.
I might like that too, but it's not how the law actually works, and I'm so tired of having to explain it to people.

It's a weird distinction unless you aren't well versed on it, so I understand the confusion, but yeah it definitely gets tiring. I refuse to stop fighting the good fight though.

Oswald himself is owned by Disney, but the shorts themselves are fair game. Although I think Disney sells a collection of them anyway at Disneyland.

Once something is in public domain it's basically "whoever has the highest quality rip/best content on the DVD" will sell best

I think being the original publisher helps a little.

>tfw this game was so bad that Oswald won't be in anything again

I wish Disney would stop sitting on him.

>Called "Trolley Troubles"
>Thread didn't immediately derail into Trolley problem memes
I'm impressed, Sup Forums. Happy birthday Oswald, I'm glad Epic Mickey gave him a bit more exposure.

Except he was already in a Mickey short made after that.

That game was so bad that we missed out on a Epic Donald game covering every nook and cranny of the Duck Lore ranging from Barks and Rosa to DuckTales and Darkwing

huh, what was the 2004 Universal design used for?

honestly I've come to believe that the concepts of Trademark and Copyright were a terrible mistake that nowadays cause more harm than good

I really don't like the Service station one. He looks so stiff and emotionless

Trouble with the trolley, Eh?