What are the worst episodes of The Simpson's golden era? (Clip shows excluded of course.)

What are the worst episodes of The Simpson's golden era? (Clip shows excluded of course.)

Bart and Lisa - who are normally really lame - are rewritten as hip and with it kids that know everything about current music (Lisa would probably throw up one of her bitchfits about how superior jazz is. Speaking of which, during the episode, they may as well be the same character because Bart and Lisa don't even disagree about anything. Oh, and why does Bart care that Homer is wearing a Rastafarian hat?) Over-reliance on celebrity worship and gags with the only decent one being the Cypress Hill orchestra joke. (The Smashing Pumpkins make for a really bland guest spot as well). It's also another "wacky and retarded job" for Homer episode

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1ztJROpyU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What are the worst episodes of The Simpson's golden era?

Your image + When You Dish Upon a Star.

Bart and Lisa agreeing and being alike in the episode isnt so weird when you think about it. Whenever siblings rebel against their parents or disagree with their parents thats often when siblings put aside their differences and come together.
Also, Lisa is still a child of the 90s so while she does love jazz shes going to like some of the music from the 90s. she is pretty smart so I dont see how its out of character for her to like multiple kinds of music.

Jokes i enjoyed were:
Frampton and his pig launcher malfunctioning was a great joke.
The teen asking for a tip.
"No,no,no Dont stop a-rockin!"
"Dying would be a stone grooove"

It was a solid episode.

Assuming the "golden age" means Seasons 1-8, then I would say I really didn't like Bart the Fink.

Why?

It's kind of annoying and I've never really liked Krusty episodes that much. The writers use them a lot for satire of the entertainment industry which is a topic that might be near and dear to them working in LA, but I don't relate to it.

E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)

While Lisa is definitely characterized as lame, I wouldn't say that Bart was during golden age. He got bullied and he wasn't the hands down most popular kid in school; but he wasn't a nerd or loser (that would be Martin and that chubby kid with the black jewfro, glasses, and a nasally voice)

That's not a golden age episode.

It was pretty annoying to hear all that out of no where whining about music and cool hip things from the kids, but the worst part about that episode was "HATE CRIME!"

Especially The Last Temptation of Krust.

>It taste's like grandma
>Hey you're right it does taste like grandma

youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1ztJROpyU

I didn't like it because Bart and Lisa selfishly start tormenting (now happy and normal) Krusty to become a tvs clown again.

What? That was funny.

>"Who's a narc?"
>"That fat Jamaican guy."

That part was ok, but HATE CRIIIME was just utterly annoying. And I don't like how old people think young people act, and that episode was a full of stupid and exaggerated stereotypes.

Some of the early episodes from Seasons 1-2 were a bit dodgy.

>And I don't like how old people think young people act, and that episode was a full of stupid and exaggerated stereotypes
It's a cartoon, dude. Cartoons are supposed to slightly exaggerate reality.

Home Sweet Home Dum Doodly

But I don't like it, I just said what was wrong in the episode in my oppinion.

And Maggie Makes Three. This episode is somehow now considered a classic but back in 1995, it was widely shat on.

Who Shot Mr. Burns Part 2

It is just so dumb

I like this episode. It's essentially proto version of the Lady Gaga episode, but I found alot of the gags funny and story is about Homer doing something stupid, rather than being solely about the celebrities.

Not top 10, but solid. All those who hate the Chilli festival episode can go to hell, that episode rocks.

Itchy & Scratchy & Poochy. The entire episode was just the writers having a tantrum over Usenet neckbeards.

It's kind of surreal to think that the writers would care that much about what handful of neckbeards thought. The Simpson's portrayal of Nerdy fanboys has always been pretty fucking spot on though. The Comic Book Guy is pretty much your average Sup Forums poster.

Apparently the Animaniacs writers did as well.

It's very stupid; in fact on the DVD commentary for Simpson Safari, they said they purposely made Africa inaccurate and geographically inconsistent to annoy complaining people on Usenet.

CBG just ended up as the writers' punching bag to take it out on Internet Simpsons fans.

Dead Putting Society. After the first act, they just...forgot to include any jokes.

I would say seasons 2-6

Trying to say the worst Golden Simpsons episode is the same with SpongeBob. It's eventually going to become a shitfit about nostalgia vs quality, and the fact that later episodes are even worse is too hard to process for the autists who have a "there's only really good and really bad" mentality.

I always had a deep hatred for My Sister My Sitter.

Ugh, I hate that one too. It just pushes all the wrong buttons.

>Bart and Lisa are both extremely unlikable for the whole episode
>Bart is just too over-the-top asshole
>also it's pushing it that Marge would think leaving them alone and having an 8 year old babysit her older brother was a good idea--that's Homer level of retard

Why?

Sloppy writing and fucked with continuity.

Oiy.

>homerpalooza
>celebrity worship

Eh, at least it was realistic about it. The Simpsons only interacted with them at the festival, and only after Homer became a freakshow.

Celebrity Worship is only pure shit when its to the point where they become best friends for no reason, and come over to their home.

>Dead Putting Society.
>After the first act, they just...forgot to include any jokes.
Say what? Thats one of the funniest episodes of Season 2.

>HATE CRIIIME was just utterly annoying.
There are legit people like that, though.

Krusty Gets Kancelled

I'll have to agree. While it does have good jokes, the way it handled celebrities felt more like something modern simpsons do. Apparently even Julie Kavner was against the episode.

Kavner and Shearer actually both boycotted that episode so none of their characters have any speaking parts.

I was never big on The War of the Simpsons. Felt too forced.

Secrets of a Successful Marriage. Too dire and not funny enough.

The second half with homer living in the treehouse definitely felt off, but I like the first half with the classes.

Usenet posters loathed Homer Goes To College back at the time.

Didnt they hate most of season 4+

Season 5 was really jarring at the time because the writers were all new guys except for John Swartzwelder and George Meyer. The original writers had left and Matt Groening/James L. Brooks had largely phased out of active involvement with the show.

While season 4 still had the original team behind it, it was very clearly different in tone compared to seasons prior, and introduced a few writers that helped shape the later classic seasons, such as Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein. Often praised episodes like Last Exit were hated in the usenet days.

Oakley, Weinstein, and Conan O'Brien joined the staff for Season 4; the first writers not from the original Season 1 group. However, the writing staff was otherwise the original group. Most of them left afterwards to pursue other ventures and Season 4 itself is a little looser than what came before because a lot of the writers were willing to do things they wouldn't have done earlier such as the Sideshow Bob rake scene. As Jon Vitti said, "What were they gonna do? Fire us?"

In Season 5, Dave Mirkin was brought in as the new showrunner per James L. Brooks's suggestion and he hired a new crop of writers including Mike Scully, Dan McGrath, and Greg Daniels. Only John Swartzwelder and George Meyer remained of the original group because some experienced hands were still needed to help the new writers understand how the show worked. Conan O'Brien left early in the Season 5 run to begin his late night TV career.

The first half of Season 5 was very...silly because Dave Mirkin was willing to let the new writers go nuts while they were acclimatizing themselves. In the second half, the show got a bit more grounded again and not as cartoony. Mirkin's vision for the show in general was a bit wackier and not as character driven, also he was much more into political/social satire and focusing on Springfield as a whole rather than just the Simpsons.

>Season 4 was still the old team
>Season 5 introduced a new showrunner and a lot of new writers
Yes I'm aware of this. You don't have to repeat it. My point was that Season 4 already started the silliness, and was also under fire by usenet. Just look at episodes like Monorail, Whacking Day, and Marge in Chains.

Speaking of musical guests, the one with U2 always confused me because they all had on weird costumes for some reason.