So what does this mean for american comics when a japanese manga does a better job?

So what does this mean for american comics when a japanese manga does a better job?

Other urls found in this thread:

storify.com/debaoki/what-does-japanese-anime-manga-deliver-that-us-pop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Toyotaro does DB Super, not Toriyama. He just gives an outline.

>So what does this mean for american comics when a japanese manga does a better job?
The big comic book companies are making their releases in October. They work off of a different release schedule so little comes out July-September.

So in response, the only thing they do a better job at is attracting stupid fans.

It means we get a lot of shitposts on the subject.

How does BKV do it, the man must be a multimillionaire by now.

I think you posted this on the wrong board, friend. is where people who care about weebshit are.

Nothing
Manga sold ten times as much a decade ago and nothing happened then.

>The huge variety of stories that don't feel like they're edited by soulless executives and market test results.
>We don't doubt/dispute that. But their editors results are more interesting. The fact that there's a manga called My Girlfriend is a T-Rex.
>i've been to a few image expos when they announced titles and felt the same way. even the cooking comic was grim (and unappetizing)
>Im referring to starve, the cooking comic drawn in burrito diarrhea brown tones
>If you had to read either Starve and Food Wars, which would you choose? The one that actually makes you hungry, dammit. Guess which one
>a manga reader can go out and pick from literal thousands of long running complete gay romance stories, and you want $4 for 1 gay character?
>anyway My Hero Academia is read by more people in America than Batman is, bye
>As well it should. My Hero Academia is way more fun than Batman. Just sayin'.
>KAWAIII! MANGA & ANIME IS CUTER AND PRETTIER
>Sometimes, it's just the manga / anime aesthetic just appeals to some readers more, because it tends to be prettier / cuter than its American counterparts. Let's face it, Japan has mastered "cute" and the rest of the world just has to play catch-up...
>I feel a lot of American comics look weird to me--either they're grotesque or really realistic. Manga gives a "cute & pretty" option.
>When I was growing up, US comics were hard to find, had ugly art, and cost way too much. I've been reading an even mix past few years.

storify.com/debaoki/what-does-japanese-anime-manga-deliver-that-us-pop

>36,000 views
>1 like
Wow.

I'm just happy Paper Girls is so high

>The huge variety of stories that don't feel like they're edited by soulless executives and market test results.

I guess they never read Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball's editor actually made the Androids Saga better when he kept pressuring Toriyama to make a cooler villain.

>DB Super
>Akira toriyama
BULLSHIT

It wasn't just the android saga and if you found it better or not is irrelevant

that's one manga vs literally 80% of all american comics, popular comics that is.

desu i hope Marvel and DC die, maybe we will get something fucking original in the movie theaters for once.

>I mean, there's *nothing* like Fullmetal Alchemist by a North American creator.

what the fuck does this even MEAN? I'm so mad

>desu i hope Marvel and DC die, maybe we will get something fucking original in the movie theaters for once.

Are you a fucking mong? Even if Marvel and DC never existed, Hollywood would still be as creatively bankrupt as it is today.

She's saying Manga's more creative and that anything like FMA wouldn't exist or even live past a few issues if it was a Western comic

Why? Dragon Ball is a prime example how why manga is often times superior to western comics. Or do you mean the shitshow that is Super?

lol it means Alan Moore is still more relevant the the vast majority of the western comics listed in the pic

Still relevant

Also still relevant

>maybe we will get something fucking original in the movie theaters for once.

OK user. Hollywood wouldn't be all adaptations and remakes it it wasn't for the damn MCU

>Are you a fucking mong?
Do you really need to ask? Of course he is.
He was referring to Toriyama being editorial's bitch.
>Dragon Ball is a prime example how why manga is often times superior to western comics
Of the examples you could of picked that's the one you go with?
Quit being retarded.

A not so grim adventure story that ends at just the right spot with good art and likable characters with the setting being interesting and robust (specially the alchemy system) with influences of modern day culture while still being original enough to hold its own identity (alchemy system) couldn't thrive in the Western audience due to Diamond's shitty distribution, cape comics and edgy stuff becoming too synonymous with Western comics, monthly release schedule, and that Western audiences wouldn't have patience to grasp all of it?

>>The huge variety of stories that don't feel like they're edited by soulless executives and market test results.
>japan
I didnt know that my girlfriend is X # 589 or boy get sent to another world #982 were such variety

Akira Toriyama was overruled by his editor a lot

Still more than cape comics and edgeshit
Seriously, Starve looks like a fucking parody
Reminds me of video game cover differences between American and Japanese releases

>its another Sup Forums's inferior media thread

well...its more than capeshit #3468 or capeshit #4579

The Buu Saga happened when the editor was told to fuck off.

In fact, Super is pretty much Toriyama AS the editor.

>The huge variety of stories that don't feel like they're edited by soulless executives
Oh you mean those stories that only get 4 chapters and gets axed because its not generic enough making the author make the most trope and generic plot filled manga which the Japanese consume since they dont like new things?

>inferior media
>greater variety, writers and artists getting noticed more for the talents, more animated adaptions, lack of filler artists, etc means inferior

>Of the examples you could of picked that's the one you go with?

What's wrong with picking DB as the example? It's one of the most iconic and influential pieces of sequental art ever made for both the west and Japan.

The West also has that problem

Fuck then he should have stuck around. That was complete garage

What does user mean by original movies anyway? Does he mean non capeshit?

That still isn't right since Ghost World, Scott Pilgrim, and others I'm forgetting at the moment got a movie adaptation.

/i actually like capeshit #4256 since they dont get stuck on a boat for 7 years because the author plays idolshit

only Japanese comics?

The best of the franco-belgian scene regularly breaks the million mark and i'm told so do Italian comics.

At the author didn't shove biased personal politics into his story.
Or maybe capeshit #4256 doesn't matter in the long run because status quo happens

That doesn't make it a soulless, market test result though. There are lots of good writers / artists who need a firm editor to keep them in check. The editor isn't some soulless corporate mouthpiece, but is often times just as passionate about the project as the creator.

*At least

But how can I like anime when they are literally below cal-arts tier?

>While at Anime Expo 2017, I noticed that the crowds at this annual anime/manga/j-pop festival in downtown Los Angeles attracts a slightly different crowd that the other pop culture super-show, Comic-Con International (which, incidentally, is only a few weeks after Anime Expo, and only a few miles south in San Diego)
>While at Anime Expo 2017, I noticed that the crowds at this annual anime/manga/j-pop festival in downtown Los Angeles attracts a slightly different crowd that the other pop culture super-show, Comic-Con International (which, incidentally, is only a few weeks after Anime Expo, and only a few miles south in San Diego)
>For one thing, the fans at Anime Expo skew younger -- average age is teens to 20-somethings. SDCC tends to attract a slightly older crowd, maybe more in their late 20s - mid-40's. So looking out at a sea of fans (over 115,000 unique visitors over 4 days, a 15% increase over 2016 attendance, and rapidly catching up with SDCC, which attracted 130,000 fans last year), I wondered, what attracts them to Japanese anime, manga, music, and games? What do they get out of it that they don't find in American-made comics, movies, animation, TV shows, etc.?

Why is that Sup Forums?

>At the author didn't shove biased personal politics into his story.
of course the author doesnt since thats the governments job

Meh I can never respect anime or manga since they are basically bootleg disney cartoons

>posting an article by Deb "White is Might" Aoki
FUCK OFF Sup Forums

Variety. Less political correctness. Quality.

And don't fucking meme on me for the last one. The average anime is considerably better looking and more visually appealing than the average cartoon.

>posting an article by Deb "White is Might" Aoki
what?
Western animation these days is influenced by anime

There is a huge variety of stories that achieved mainstream success in manga. Stuff like Attack on Titan, Boku no Hero Academia, One Piece, OPM, Mob Psycho 100, FMA etc are all very different from each other. There is WAY more variety in manga than in western comics, that is not arguable.

Clearly. That's why you're posting on the comics board instead of posting on Sup Forums about the things you like.

>what?
deb aoki is one of those stormfaggots who posts about how nippon are honorary aryans and nippon will dfeat the american jewish media on stormcucks back then

Aoki's Asian and appears to be PC on twitter

Both influence each other.

shhh its just Sup Forums trying to justify their shitty cartoons

Nah man, she retweets anti Trump and pro diversity stuff

user...

The best discussions about anime are on Sup Forums and Sup Forums. The best discussions about comics are on Sup Forums and /tg/. The best discussions about video games are on Sup Forums and Sup Forums. You know this to be true.

The main difference is concluded stories. Even the most popular, long running manga have a manageable number of volumes you can jump right into, buy the first volume and get immersed in a story and new characters. Western superhero comics don't have that. You can just jump into the last iteration of a character's story that has no stakes or lasting effect whatsoever. Or you can read an equally irrelevant story from 20 years ago about the same character. There is no beginning, middle and end to the character's story, there is only an endless number of pointless short stories.

>anime and manga is superior
>goes to cartoons and comics board
I mean its ok to accept that anime is shit Sup Forums

Well, I'm not on Sup Forums to discuss comics that's for sure. The vast majority of threads on Sup Forums are about cartoons and live action movies / tv series if you haven't noticed.

>Sup Forums
>Not denouncing comics as inferior gaijin trash with bad art, meaningless stories, and PC shit

Show me 1 just 1 good comic thread on Sup Forums using Desuarchive

Sup Forums's taste in anime is ungodly awful like somehow even worse than it's taste in vidya.

People who love comics are probably the ones who are the most frustrated with the current state of them. Admitting that Japan has a far better comic book industry than the west is just a fact, not fanboyism or an us vs them thing. I think it's hard to find anyone who genuinely loves comics who wouldn't prefer this industry to have the same variety and creativity as can be found in the manga industry, instead of what we get now with Marvel and DC.

>tfw CASPAR is only one step away from forcing australia tier anti loli laws in japan

>My Hero Academia is at number 1
At least the idea of what makes a superhero a fucking superhero is not dead.

Its fucking sad really, not saying its bad as there is a lot of love and care put into Kohei Horikoshi's work that its damn obvious that he loves western comics, but holy shit the characters that were icons and idols for those who grew up with them are just fucking butchered by witches who wish nothing but to ruin anything that does not go along with their piss baby agenda.

>Shonen thrash
>all very different from each other

>People who love comics are probably the ones who are the most frustrated with the current state of them
sure thing Sup Forums

Manga is way cheaper than graphic novels and they have more content. They are all pretty much the same size too so they are easier to collect.

>japan has some pretty diverse characters and stories

Not an excuse to shit up a board though is it? Make an on-topic thread if it offends you so much like the rest of us.
Then quit reading Marvel and DC. But then again you're just shitposting without knowing what you're talking about.

Picking a series to watch is like picking a random comic or cartoon to read. Not all of it is great, hell about 90% of the time it will most likely be shit.

honestly I like cartoon art style more than anime, but that's it. Now it hard to find anything to watch or read, both comic and manga story became generic and it frustrate me.

>Thinking Big 2=All of comics
Casual

The colors are subdued and not burning my eyes, so it's already doing way better.

Of course they have to look the same with the bug eyed sharp chin look, I mean last time japan tried to get away from it it became an abortion

>I watch anime

Fuck you faggot anime is 100x better than anything the west can come up

Never said that. But because of the way the western comic industry works, small comics have no chance of gaining the same recognition as similar manga can gain because of the big 2. Every singly highly popular manga was at one point in time an unknown, completely new IP. Wouldn't you like seeing a comic book industry where fresh ideas had a chance of actually gaining popularity and recognition which would in return encourage more creators to try new things?

>Fuck you faggot anime is 100x better than anything the west can come up
wew lad

dey rook different gaijin

They get adapted for live action tv user

>Wouldn't you like seeing a comic book industry where fresh ideas had a chance of actually gaining popularity and recognition which would in return encourage more creators to try new things?
It already exists.

>I think I am so much better from reading capeshit and watching children cartoons that those japs who read manga and watch children cartoons.

If it helps you sleep at night user.

see and

of course they anything outside the big 2 is a nobody on the international stage just like how anything outside jump is a nobody on the international stage
Both medium are shit but you faggots are still deluding yourselves that one shit is shinier than the other

But I don't watch children cartoons and read capeshit

It does? You can count the number of popular non Marvel / DC comic books on 1 hand and even amongst those they don't even have a fraction of the mainstream popularity that popular manga have.

She retweets shit from Kate "tell me I'm a snowflake, or I'll commit suicide" Leth, and Gabby "how do you do my fellow latinxs" Rivera. Why are you blatantly lying?

Yes, The Sopranos. One of the greatest cartoons made.

I love The Sopranos but that was a terrible thing to pick as this is mostly comparing it to media that is similar. We are not talking about live action shows here.

Real talk though the only reason comics is in the state that its in right now is because donald trump won, had bernie and his supporters played ball hillary would have won

How long had Fun Home been out?
Is it actually decent, or is it getting sales on Bechdel's name?

Jump isn't doing endless self-contained short stories and reboots of Naruto, Goku, Luffy and Ichigo, instead they are publishing tons of different, completely new material. So yeah, one shit IS shittier than the other.

You are being a weeb as this point. No one is better in my opinion and basically we can't judge both anime and carton as the whole thing, because both are too various in quality. It's like judging the entire books from a bookshop not the book itself

this
Sup Forums made cartoons shitty

>If you had to read either Starve and Food Wars, which would you choose? The one that actually makes you hungry, dammit. Guess which one
This is retarded. I mean, I don’t have great love for Starve, but if you call it a “food comic” and then compare it too Food Wars, you’re retarded. It’s like comparing Hamlet and Princess Bride because they're both “fencing stories”. They use similar elements to explore entirely different themes with different moods.

>the absolut state of anime

Then bitch on Sup Forums