Why do people miss the 90s so much? Even people in their 40s and 50s seem to miss it

Why do people miss the 90s so much? Even people in their 40s and 50s seem to miss it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GAx3FnVAOWA
youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY
youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3vqrBKtf8
youtube.com/watch?v=qyVSKydUxKk
youtube.com/watch?v=5w2YLdjxS_M
youtube.com/watch?v=2eBZqmL8ehg
youtube.com/watch?v=2up7su7CeMU
youtube.com/watch?v=byEGjLU2egA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Economy did ok
>Entertainment was decent
>People in general were decent
>Nobody was redpilled by 9/11 and the crash yet

it was the last great decade you leafy cunt

Literally 9/11

It was the decade before 99% of Sup Forums users were born so the world was a generally less faggy place.

The same reason 90's music sounds better than anything on the radio today.......I'm including the Back Street Boys and Spice girls in that too. Still 1000000x better than Drake, Sia, Rihanna garbage......ect 21 pilots............

Internet wasn't part of my daily life.

Wasn't aware of the shittyness of the world.

Before 9/11.

Could smoke in the Wafflehouse

Probably because the world seemed to go to shit after 9/11.

Though there are plenty of people that think music, movies, etc just stopped being good after 1999.

It's difficult to remember now just how QUICKLY technology seemed to be progressing. Computers were becoming technologically-outdated within 18 months of their release. The "information superhighway" suddenly emerged as a major social force. The expectation was that these trends would only accelerate, and we'd be in some kind of unimaginable techno-utopia by the 2010's.

Then shit started to go wrong circa late-2000/early-2001, with the collapse of the tech bubble.

They didn't improve.

I am actually typing this on a laptop from 2004 - 2004! - that I started back up in order to test out on today's internet.

For the most part, it works fine. That's the equivalent of taking a machine from 1984 and using it on the internet of 1996. It never would have worked.

Also, no cellphones until late 90s

>the top-10 popshit of the 90s is better than the top-10 hiphopshit of the 2000's

do you only listen to the radio or something?

And the cell phones that were available weren't connected to the internet and had low limits on the amount of voice minutes and text messages so people weren't really glued to them all the time like they are now.

>tfw cant smoke in wafflehouse anymore

also it was the decade of the bluepill

Nostalgia, people are actually way better off in 2016

seinfeld

It was an aesthetic time

youtube.com/watch?v=GAx3FnVAOWA

no

ThinkPad represent
who /cavemantech/ here

youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY

That's bullshit. My dad had a Motorola flip phone that was almost the size of a brick, and my mom had a cell phone that was built into her car, but with a cord.

All early 90's my I add.

Trump is bringing the 90s back

Holy shit I remember seeing this back in the Windows 98 days. You'd press shut down and then wait and then it would display this message and you had to hold down the power button. I used to play all those learning CD games on the big clunky computer my mom and dad built from scratch in the kitchen.

Nobody is still redpilled by 9/11

Because the internet wasn't widespread enough for everyone to realise how shitty everything is, but technology was advanced to the point where life was better than ever.

Now it's TUMBLING DOWN

member the 90s?
member nickelodeon?
member when the simpsons were good?

>2016
>I turned off your computer and suck my dick real nigga active hours

>Then shit started to go wrong circa late-2000/early-2001, with the collapse of the tech bubble.

>They didn't improve.

Our cell phones can do more than what the computers of the 90's could do and you can browse the internet wirelessly from virtually anywhere (I, for one, will be shitposting on Sup Forums from the comfort of my tree stand next weekend when deer season opens up). Hell, top-end cell phones can even be used in VR setups today. CPU's have multiple cores and those cores can process multiple threads, GPU's have 1000's of stream processing units in them and can render shit in 4k resolution. Toasters, thermostats, refrigerators, light switches, etc are now wirelessly connected to the internet. I can download a 20GB HD movie in a matter of minutes, a feat that would've taken days on the dialup connection that I was using in the 90's.... I mean sure, I still have an x201 thinkpad that I run linux on and use as a cheap, more or less disposable, travel computer but you're being extremely naive if you think technology hasn't progressed by leaps and bounds since the year 2000. Hell, the 1st gen iPhone wasn't released until 2007. Before then almost no one had a "smartphone" but now pretty much everyone has one and just look at how far that technology has improved over less than 10 years.

Back then it used to only be the weird loners that were online most of the time.

No somali refugees back then.

And then all the normies got plugged in and ruined it forever....

>a cell phone that was built into her car, but with a cord.

Thats called a car phone. Used to be high tech.

I remember watching star trek tng in the 90s and wondering how long it would take for those datapads to become a real thing, and wishing i had a tricorder.

They fucking exist now. Blows my mind.

The 90s were comfy as fuck.

>Hack Heaven

Dear lord do I miss the optimism and mystique of the hacker scene in the mid 90s. To most of the old guard, the scene was already dead by the 90s, with the heyday being in the late 70s to the mid 80s. But the early to mid 90s hacker scene is what I experienced, so it's what I'll miss. I feel like a missed out, in all honesty.

By the way, how is it that, in the veritable techno-utopia of the 2010s, that the hacker scene is veritably dead? One would think that, in the era of high-speed connections, cheap internet, and miracle gadgets, the hacker scene would be witnessing a golden age.

Yet, here we are. All optimism, hope, and mystique is gone. Replaced by blandness and "social crusades".

9/11 really did change everything.

They werent that great
they only seem good because right now is such a shitshow.

that was the last decade before the internet became widespread and people still talked to each other face to face.

I remember people just showing up at our house ringing the door bell just to chat with my mom and see how we were doing. nobody does that anymore unless it's like a social event. if they want to shoot the shit it's through text messaging or facebook.

also, as a result we were less connected globally but more connected locally. this meant that redpill shit and feminism spread much slower, and stuff like close family/friend bonds were more important, since you generally knew your neighbors and people in the same city/area.

I miss flying in the 90'es, shit was cash no fucking security no fucking around
Miss it so much

>how is it that, in the veritable techno-utopia of the 2010s, that the hacker scene is veritably dead?

All proprietary software and hardware is locked down and unnecessarily obfuscated nowadays.

>tfw we'll likely never see a truly functional N64 or Xbox emulator

pretty sad, I'd love to play through the single player campaign on the original Halo, Perfect Dark, Body Harvest, and Zelda: OoT again on my computer.

You ever get invited to the cockpit?

I remember the dating scene before text messaging became widespread. You'd actually call and talk to girls and have meaningful conversations over the phone instead of just sending sporadic texts back and forth all day long.

Arguably one of the best decades:

>Economy was decent
>Cell phones weren't widespread so you actually had to interact with others
>Kids still went out to play with others from the neighborhood since the Internet hadn't caught on yet

And the biggest one:
>The world's optimism about the future hadn't been knocked out by 9/11 yet

It was horrible mix of nice shit we have now with nice shit we had. Typical of "good times".

They had x-ray, they had to take my Nintendo zapper out of my suitcase to be sure it wasn't a real gun.

It was the last decade that had any kind of real freedom and was just before the downfall started. Thinks that are huge news now wouldn't even have been looked at twice 20 years ago. It was the last time people ignored the mentally retarded instead of letting them take the reins.

>Kids still went out to play with others from the neighborhood since the Internet hadn't caught on yet

This. Vidya was advanced, yet not so advanced that it lead to massive amounts of people cloistering themselves in their houses. I remember fondly alternating between both vidya and playing outside with my buds. I can't really pinpoint when the scales tipped, but i figure it really began with the release of WoW.

>it's been 12 years since vanilla WoW was first released

If they don't blow up in your face. No way in hell am I putting a phone right in front of my eyes, not with what has happened.

I would argue that people prefer less realism in vidya, given that Angry Birds has far more players than any of the newer 3D mega hits do.

People weren't using the internet to pick up ideologies. The age without internet memes like feminism, tumblr, reddit, and other shit that makes people retarded was nice. Imagine if Facebook, Buzzfeed, and Reddit all died in explosions tomorrow. I would feel relieved.

Well for me what made the 90's and early 2000's really fun was being able to get a credit card and run it up and declare bankruptcy used to be really easy.
and things just seemed less shitty.
i think i started to notice things get worse around 04-06 even with halo1 people had meetups to play matches with buddys now everyone just makes a party on xboxlive onlytime i actually can get a group together is if were gonna get shitfaced.

That genie is already out of the bottle and it will never go back in.

>Implying you don't browse /r/ledonald

Either that or I'm picking up a strong underage vibe from you

>Imagine if Facebook, Buzzfeed, and Reddit all died in explosions tomorrow. I would feel relieved.
What if Sup Forums and any alternative site similar to it was gone too?
That's a 'will you push the button' scenario if ever there was one.

>90s
>posts 80s inspired synth

Millennials are beyond retarded.

A car phone isn't a smart phone that you carry around 24/7.

Also, I don't care what your nigger parents had. I didn't have a cellphone until the late 90s

Only the banned know relief from this fun.

It was the last decade of the greatest century and also the last decade before the world became tiny and shitty due to mainstream computer use.

The internet was just becoming popularized, and was still a nerdy thing.

The internet has made life much harder to enjoy. Too much information. It disrupts our sense of the flow of time, takes us out of the experience of living.

In the mid-90s, it was still new and exciting, but by 2000, it had taken over our lives. Then came smartphones, and no one ever being fully present where they were.

Do you remember the days of 4 player splitscreen matches in 1st person shooters? 4 people playing Goldeneye on a 19" CRT TV, those were the days man...

I agree that that is the current trend, but I remember most people jizzing themselves whenever the polygons got just a bit more numerous and "smoother" with each subsequent generation of games.

Today, graphics and realism is old-hat given that even the shittiest of games can have respectable graphics. Moreover, it's fucking unnerving how realistic certain sports games are. Creeps me out.

I remember organizing my first LAN-party in 2002 and that was an immensely sociable event compared to most anything that occurs today in the world of gaming.

Fuck, these threads make me feel old.

I'm 24, and I don't use Reddit. The only good sub was /r/Sup Forums, and that isn't as funny as the actual thing so I stopped using it.

This
I'm fucking worried for the current generation of millennials in high school. They literally own every online app you can think of and constantly talk about their boring and pathetic lives 24/7. Some get addicted due to isolation and go crazy over time or get addicted to drugs/alcohol.
I met a girl who had a genuine personality absolutely ruined by twitter/instagram/tumblr/facebook feeds pressuring her to listen to rap music and smoke weed like it's YOLO every day. I'm afraid kids these days wont know how to "grow up" and take responsibility for once in their lives. Been hearing prophecies of a coming Civil War, I'm thinking it'll be caused by the dumbing down of the populace thanks to Cancerfeed/Dumblr/TweetOverload/Instagram whoring.
I remember in the 90s when girls actually had personality and could talk without listening to rap music 24/7 and understand responsibilities when their older. Nowadays I see the cancer that is "mainstream" shit tier music spreading like wildfire poisoning our youth like fucking turdsandwiches who can't act respectful out of the whole notion that fuck it I'll do whatever I want, especially with girls

>Best movies
>Great music
>Great economy
>Cold war was over
>No major wars
>No major terrorist threat
>Racial tensions were at an all time low
>No SJWs or Feminism
>Internet was only used by nerds
>Cell phones weren't a thing

Sounds pretty comfy

i miss 90's alt rock girls they were so qt

youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3vqrBKtf8

youtube.com/watch?v=qyVSKydUxKk

youtube.com/watch?v=5w2YLdjxS_M

Ah man, back when phreaking was still viable.

Yeah; the "barriers to entry" went way up in a lot of ways. I remember reading about a "hacker" a few years ago who had taken several years to learn about materials science so that he could physically access certain chips and device control units without destroying them/causing them to lock down.

He had an entire basement lab full of chemical agents used for tasks such as removing the epoxy sealant on a chip without destroying the chip's surface. And once it had been de-epoxied, it still required extensive work, microscopes, etc. just to hook it up to another device in a manner that allowed it to be manipulated.

That's not something a kid in his basement is going to be able to learn easily.

Who are you kidding? 99 percent of /pol users were born in the 2000s.

The kind of shit sjws and leftists push these days was just comedy sketches back then.

The Internet wasn't as widespread.

The Internet has made us miserable.

it's the last time America was half way normal. before the internet ruined social interactions and before 9/11 ruined our innocence.

I wanna follow up and say that the world was a lot simpler when we didn't know what was going on and didn't have the option to.

For instance, anyone can learn any of these things in a single afternoon: the gender based wage gap isn't real, the 1 in 5 rape statistic isn't true, the Clinton Foundation is extremely corrupt, George Soros is an economic and political terrorist, Black Lives Matter is a counterproductive hate movement, sexual liberation destroyed the family unit, circumcision should be illegal regardless of culture or territory.

But if you ask most people about every one of those things, they are too stupid to know a single one already.

People have access to unlimited information, but feel overloaded and uncomfortable with challenging their worldviews. Remember a time when learning was considered okay to not do because it meant going to a library and reading for hours? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

1% reporting

because milleniafags werent born yet to pussify the world

Cell phones were around in the 80s. They were huge ass bricks back then compared to small, compact, credit card sized cell phones we have now.

Fun still existed.

OK guys
>All social network sites crash and cannot be remade

>Sup Forums dies too

would you do it?

that's exactly what he said retard

Oh man, 90s MTV. They used to play music videos all day and night, with just occasional quality original programming, like Beavis and Butthead.

I don't think so. Is there a way to get a sense for it?

Yes, everything's gone to shit, it should all be destroyed.

I think the 90s was absolutely the tail end of anything decent. 2000-2016 have been complete dogshit

Yes, I would sacrifice Sup Forums for the greater good.

I think this is true, except that music was shit in the 90s too. I remember hating radio music growing up. Only a couple cds my dad had and everything 80s or earlier I liked.

Yeah, kids today don't even know what a music video is even though MTV had like what 3 channels. All i watched was MTV growing up and i completely quit in 1996ish when it went to shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=2eBZqmL8ehg

youtube.com/watch?v=2up7su7CeMU

youtube.com/watch?v=byEGjLU2egA

There's always been good stuff and still is but at least now you have almost everything at your fingertips instead of basically needing to listen to the radio.

It was like living in the Garden of Eden. 9/11 was the forbidden fruit that opened our eyes to the problems in the world. We've been miserable ever since.

Imagine when Seinfeld, the old Simpsons, the first episodes of South Park were all coming out. Not only was a lot of tv actually good then (when that shit airs, I don't mind watching it, otherwise I can't stand tv except for old movies and Trump news), but it fit the time. It was either the first time we had seen shows like that (so they were fresh), or they were tackling the much simpler politics and culture of the time better.

The decade was one giant victory lap for Western Civilization after a half century of cold war.

a large chunk of people acknowledge false flags, if not 9/11 then sandy hook or bataclan etc

We share a feels.

We are feelbrothers now.

We have the same feels.

60s and 70s were taking the shots/snorting the coke.

The 80s and 90s was the buzz and high.

And the 00s, 10s was the come down.

>no major wars

>what is the Persian Gulf War

The whole good of Sup Forums is that it is our shelter from those other things. I grabbed a little image to let you know this feels.

My cellphone that I bought 4 months ago lags when switching tabs on Google Chrome... Nothing lagged in computers from 2004, even though I have the same hardware or better

Of course. I'd throw myself on a burning pyre, if I truly knew it'd preserve everything I love.... And kill everything I hate.

>Wars were something fought over in some faraway place and people back home and soldiers that returned didn't have to worry about a enemy showing up and shooting up a place
>No 9/11 so everyone felt safe, people could fly without worry or stiff security
>Last decade of cable TV, renting movies, and getting all your news from just TV and newspapers
>Movies/tv shows haven't fully shifted to CGI and still used practical effects
>Technology was still seen as some magical thing and we would be living the life of robots and flying cars
>People weren't stuck on their phones
>Generally everyone felt pretty positive in the tone of TV shows, movies, and games.
>Online shopping wasn't a thing so stores will still get people in and less megastores were around.

I'm sure if we had some form of usenet Sup Forums and we were our current age back then, we would've thought things were bad at times but couldn't imagine shit like 9/11, mass shootings, and domestic terrorism being around.

The era of decadence that we live in started with the third millenium

This is why people miss the 90s

>The internet was just becoming popularized, and was still a nerdy thing.

I remember that, as late as 2007, the idea of talking to someone over an internet connection (facebook) was considered a weird and nerdy thing to do. Today, you are viewed with suspicion if you don't have a social media account, with your real name, address, phone number, etc tacked to it.

Recently, I caught a snippet of a television show in which this 20 some year old woman said that the Internet was still "kinda weird" in 2010.

What fucking world is this where the bland, banal Internet of 2010 is considered "kinda weird"?

because a nigger wasn't president, a woman wasn't running for president, and new york had 2 more sky scrapers

I'm not quite sure why I value the 90s so much. Probably because I was ignorant but maybe most people were. People seemed a lot happier and innocent. IMHO wide spread availability of high speed internet has harmed society. Soapbox for SJWs, liberals, homosexuals, pornography everywhere. I can't imagine being a kid and growing up right now. You just know kids today are exposed to things we never were. Filthy hardcore pornography, gore, murder etc. If it's online they've probably seen it.