Dumbing of age. Doa

A day off work + ToME. = Late post.
Looks like the happy pills are working though.

Other urls found in this thread:

itswalky.tumblr.com/post/132613101112/totallynotfour-i-dont-normally-do-shit-like
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/133473860727/dumbingofage-dumbing-of-age-take-a-message
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/131267077762/how-did-beckys-mom-die
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/58078420145/ah-our-friend-ssavat-had-already-tried-to-comment
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/95882247467/someone-actually-took-time-to-sign-up-to-comment
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/165033161567/what-goes-into-doing-time-skips-in-doa
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/105249308727/was-trying-to-remember-what-becky-was-like-in
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/139328923347/when-trying-to-convince-me-that-4chans-rep-is
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/70155687221/do-you-ever-stop-and-realize-that-people-probably
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/125999773617/this-is-this-guys-first-post-his-first-post-could
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/140325878757/im-amused-by-the-comment-before-i-dont-like
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/111631082272/send-me-your-becky-hairstyle-tears
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/111632092172/can-the-tears-be-tears-of-how-much-we-enjoy-the
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/111478634407/please-never-change-beckys-new-haircut-i-love-it
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/112984871387/hi-i-started-reading-in-2013-im-curious-were
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/112860902422/i-was-going-to-suggest-becky-and-her-ex-roommate
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/121685654937/i-feel-like-a-lot-of-the-women-in-doa-who-are
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/109185340287/never-ever-ever-ever-ever-break-up-with-a
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/105371221752/so-on-a-scale-of-1-to-monty-burns-how-much-fun
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/100220985997/there-were-a-few-seconds-between-when-the-strip
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/96415074262/i-know-this-is-not-the-right-channel-to-ask-this
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/88998371462/jalathas-itswalky-well-isnt-this-guy
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/85522978957/an-actual-comment-today
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/71532500640/sweet-six-pound-baby-haysoos-i-just-read-over-the
twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/906483405394767872
dumbingofage.com/archive-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Neither of them said anything to elicit a meaningful reaction yet, but okay.

>Looks like the happy pills are working though.
Ruth is going to lose her damn mind if she doesn't assault somebody.

Where's Ryan when you really need him?

Ruth's side shot in panel two looks odd.

Her neck connects to her head behind her damn jaw.

Naw, her hair flicks forward where it's been tucked behind her ear.

Punished Ryan will return.

... that IS where necks connect.

Seriously, she's about to snap pretty much for

"I don't like her."
"This is the girl you're sleeping with, yeah?"

He means her neckline stops before the fork in her hair and doesn't connect where it should

Weird that other people know about Billie and Ruth.

We've now had as much outside acknowledgement of Billie and Ruth as we have had about the crazy guy trying to kidnap his runaway daughter at gunpoint.

Willis should hire someone to draw mouths for him. This is terrifyingly awful.

Was Malaya just not paying attention or something? I can't figure out why she thought that was a response that made sense.

>Weird that other people know about Billie and Ruth.
It was probably in the school newspaper.

>It was probably in the school newspaper.
Not showing Billie's reaction to that getting written in a strip seems like a big missed opportunity if that's the case.

So, that's probably what happened.

So, I've thought about it, and I've come to a conclusion that I reached ages ago but didn't have the words for. Guys, I think the mere existence of this general is making Willis's writing worse.

Think about it. It's clear that he largely writes DoA, not out of personal pleasure or any artistic ideals, but to spite critics. Because he's long since conflated anyone who disagrees with him with bigots and assholes (and let's be honest, we've all seen a couple of those in here). So, the fact that we all conference here, picking apart his work and sharing his paywall lewds, that just pisses him off even *more* and encourages him to double down. If we all just decided to stop giving a shit, his fans would realize that he’s jousting at windmills rather than taking down naysayers and they might complain enough for him to actually change.

I don’t expect that most of you will actually respond to this, but if you’re really interested in fixing DoA rather than just making fun of it, it’s something to think about.

That would imply he knows we exist. Which I sincerely doubt.

To some extent, he does. He knows Cerberus has seen that we talk about her on here.

Even if this was proven true I wouldn't stop. It's silly to blame commenters for a creator's reaction and work.

If Willis gets so assblasted that a bunch of random asshole nobodies on a Korean rabbit training form don't like his work that he deliberately lowers the quality out of spite towards us rather than trying to improve it for his fans - the people whose support pays his fucking bills - than that says all that needs to be said about the comic and him as a writer.

You're literally saying we have fucking "meme magic" powers. We make fun of Willis's writing, so he doubles down on terrible ideas and plots? Well, he has no free will or ability to make decisions on his own - it's all us. The other fans and readers of his work are somehow unable to point out issues they have as long as somewhere, somehow some random jagoffs are also doing that? It can't be because of a toxic community, no it's us brain-controlling anons at work! If only we would stop expressing our opinion in a place neither Willis nor his main audience likes, wants to visit or ever has to experience than everything would be fixed forever!

Edit: forgot to say "this" in regards to We only have the power Willis gives us. If he wants to shrug off our comments and do what he wants, he has that ability. If he gets butthurt and and lowers the quality of his work to stab at people he never needs to interact with, than that his decision. He's the writer. He has the control over his work.

So I went to his Tumblr and curated some relevant posts for you guys to review.

itswalky.tumblr.com/post/132613101112/totallynotfour-i-dont-normally-do-shit-like
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/133473860727/dumbingofage-dumbing-of-age-take-a-message
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/131267077762/how-did-beckys-mom-die
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/58078420145/ah-our-friend-ssavat-had-already-tried-to-comment
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/95882247467/someone-actually-took-time-to-sign-up-to-comment
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/165033161567/what-goes-into-doing-time-skips-in-doa
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/105249308727/was-trying-to-remember-what-becky-was-like-in
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/139328923347/when-trying-to-convince-me-that-4chans-rep-is
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/70155687221/do-you-ever-stop-and-realize-that-people-probably
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/125999773617/this-is-this-guys-first-post-his-first-post-could
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/140325878757/im-amused-by-the-comment-before-i-dont-like
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/111631082272/send-me-your-becky-hairstyle-tears
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/111632092172/can-the-tears-be-tears-of-how-much-we-enjoy-the
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/111478634407/please-never-change-beckys-new-haircut-i-love-it
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/112984871387/hi-i-started-reading-in-2013-im-curious-were
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/112860902422/i-was-going-to-suggest-becky-and-her-ex-roommate
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/121685654937/i-feel-like-a-lot-of-the-women-in-doa-who-are

As I said "Even if this was proven true I wouldn't stop."

Also, I'm not reading any of that.

Completely fair. I don't know which way I think he goes, beyond Beckygeddon.

A few more posts, because procrastinating is easy.

itswalky.tumblr.com/post/109185340287/never-ever-ever-ever-ever-break-up-with-a
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/105371221752/so-on-a-scale-of-1-to-monty-burns-how-much-fun
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/100220985997/there-were-a-few-seconds-between-when-the-strip
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/96415074262/i-know-this-is-not-the-right-channel-to-ask-this
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/88998371462/jalathas-itswalky-well-isnt-this-guy
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/85522978957/an-actual-comment-today
itswalky.tumblr.com/post/71532500640/sweet-six-pound-baby-haysoos-i-just-read-over-the

>Also I'm not reading any of that.
I second this, I don't want to read the words of the mentally unhinged, I am just here for Joyce x Joe.

>Harnessing your mental issues productively
Ruth's doing it rite

First of all, I second 's motion. If you can't be arsed to at least provide a summary or quotes of two fucking dozen blog posts, I'm not going to be bothered to wade hip-deep through that mess on a rhetorical scavenger hunt playing silly buggers.

Besides, I know what they all boil down to. "People I don't like have issues with my writing, so fuck them!"

Second of all, what exactly are you trying to prove here? Your entire thesis seems to be that Willis is so petty, vindictive and spiteful that he just can't help himself from responding to us.

That's on him. He writes the material. He has complete creative control over his work. There is no reason whatsoever that he has to stick it to us and if the quality of his work nosedives because he's so busy writing 'take that' scenarios, that's his decision. He never has to read our comments, think about them or interact with any of us. If someone doesn't like something about his writing, he can shrug and say "I'm making five grand a month from the people who do like it." Boom, instant fix. All it requires is a small degree of maturity.

Where did you get the notion that we want to fix DoA?

Besides, we aren't Willis' keeper. If he writes bad comics to spite us, that's still all on him.

Figured it would take up less space that way. I was just interested in seeing if people are seeing the same patterns that I am. Also, procrastination.

Here are some summaries, largely from Willis's perspective. Quotation marks are around actual quotes.

>Q: Women attracted to women conform to stereotypes. Is this on purpose?
>A: Sarcasm

>Readers who don't like rude women in his comics are sexist.

>Becky is going to have her hair like this until the end of time.

>I love it that people hate Becky and her hair.

>"'let me try to get you to discuss ... why i don’t like you' is ... probably #1 on the list of dumb shit to not bother complete strangers with"

>"do you ever stop and realize that people probably discuss you from time to time when you aren’t around to witness it
thats so weird, that i exist to people when im not even interacting with them"
>Willis: "for me that’s just Sup Forums, like all the time"

"when trying to convince me that Sup Forums’s rep is totes unfounded maybe don’t re-send the guy who spewed the n-word and every other slur under the sun all over my site"

>Re: time skips: "sometimes I feel like a few days are needed to pad out and/or distance certain Big Events from the resulting fallout."

>Someone signed up just to comment with "meh"

>Ssavat is auto-banned from posting

>People think Becky's callous reaction to her dad is in the hospital is only bad because she used her middle fingers.

>I'm going to delete your comments and then pretend I didn't. You stole from my Patreon.

>Fantasy racism vs. realistic racism

>It's fun to ban people for not liking my work

>"Strawman" = auto-ban

">my favorite part is always where they get upset that they’re banned from commenting at the place they said they were leaving forever because it sucked."

Some of these are notable because he's pointing out people commenting about stupid things, thus wasting his own time and everyone else's.

>Completely fair.
Well as long as you're reasonable.I do get the fun of reading his thoughts. Although I do find it frustrating how little makes it into the strip through good writing.

>her

>If we all just decided to stop giving a shit,

If you object to it so much, why are you in these threads? I bet you're the same guy who always tells us to stop.

Don't want to see it? HIDE IT. It's just that simple.

>Also, I'm not reading any of that.

Then shut up.

We should start a betting pool on when things get interesting again.

Of course, that begs the question of what exactly constitutes "interesting" in the context of DOA.

That depends.

Crazy-Pants Interesting:
straight white cis male Christian rampages on campus

Drama:
a couple breaks up or some sex scandal happens or a new resident causes problems

Rabbit-Hole Interesting:
delve deeper into Amber's fractured psyche

Adrenaline:
Sal and/or Malaya and/or Amber and/or Amazi-Girl start a fight

Groundhog Day:
Ruth ends up in the hospital again

Time Bomb:
Walky continues to skip class/tutoring sessions and loses Dorothy's trust entirely

LESBIAN:
Becky does LESBIAN things in a LESBIAN way with other LESBIANS.

Rude.

don't necrobump

Does it cancel out that we're doing it out of spite and then he reacts with spite?

Honestly, it doesn't matter. We're having fun talking about it. We enjoy seeing him go further over the line of what's reasonable and seeing his commentors do gymnastics just to justify their waifus' crappy behavior.

Let it be, dude.

You're the lazy fuck who can't be bothered to read the documented proof you asked for. You literally have ZERO right to act offended.

You fuck off as well.

Dude.

We're not going to stop. Did you get that? Here, let me put that in all caps so you can get it better. WE ARE NOT GOING TO STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS SHITTY COMIC STRIP AND IT"S EVEN SHITTIER AUTHOR. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOUGH SHIT. YOU CAN EASILY HIDE THE THREAD WITH A LOT LESS EFFORT THAN CLICKING ON THE THREAD,TYPING YOUR DIATRIBE AND ANSWERING THE CATCHPA

Just to make it clear again WE WILL NOT STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS STRIP AND IT'S NOT YOUR PLACE TO TELL US TO DO SO.

So quit fucking asking.

>talking about this shitty comic strip urges the creator to continue making things shitty giving us stuff to talk about
Sounds like the market in action, user.

You have reading comprehension issues, as I specifically said I didn't care whether or not it was true.

No proof was asked for as none was desired.

How about we just guess what tomorrow's strip is going to be about?

Are we going to get more of Malaya and Sal? Or are we going to get whiplash and change scenes again?

I actually like Malaya when she's being a cunt to characters who deserve it. It will never last though.

Except in DoA Malaya has only been a cunt to Lucy, who has done nothing but be nice to Malaya.

Well, we ended the latest strip on what could conceivably be a point at which one could comfortably end the scene and move on, so we're probably getting another strip of Sal and Malaya.

This thread is still young, so I'm going to artificially keep it alive in the event that Patreanon shows up.

Here's a preview picture for a future DOA strip. That strip is to be released on 22 September 2017. Which means that we dredge into the unknown for two weeks.

She was nice to Carla for some reason, and she stood up for Leslie, despite using her to determine if she was bi.

She's been nice enough to Marcie. In the parking lot incident with Amber, Malaya was fairly established to not really be friends with anyone other than Marcie.

I don't get my first break till 12:30

Well, I was wrong about not switching scenes.

>I don't get my first break till 12:30
It's never worth it.

Also, we have a better view of Joyce's sweater, and I don't see any blood stains.

Also, Danny and Joe are playing a Nintendo Switch, as evidenced by the colors of the controllers. I know I'm the only person in here who gets anal about the time scale, but this has seriously got to be the most egregious anachronistic reference yet. The Wii U wasn't even available in 2010, for cripes sake.

>Joe and Danny hanging out and playing video games
I think this might be the first case of these characters interacting in a wholly positive fashion. It just took 7 years.

So wasn't pokemon go or drumbft the evil master, but I think we have more pressing matters, like why physics doesn't work, or why the legal system doesn't work, or why Joyce and Joe aren't married yet or at the very least dating, and last but not least why Mary chose that whimpy fag instead of Jacob.

This strip borders on funny. I actually cracked half a smile at the last two panels. Also, Joyce's hand must have shriveled from wearing her brace for so long. RIP her hand. Poor thing.

>Also, we have a better view of Joyce's sweater, and I don't see any blood stains.
I don't remember it being that long, either. Maybe she rolled it up at the party, so the blood is on the other side of the added length.

Or Willis is lazy. Take your pick.

Also, Willis is sticking to his guns on "comic time." It's BS, but it's always considered to be the current year. Not like we actually see anyone upgrading devices. They just magically appear like gadget fairies came to visit.

I think you mean Carla.

In all seriousness I don't think Jacob and Mary have ever interacted. Joyce and Joe did go on a date though.

Joyce's nagging is cute

Hey, Willis?

____________Fuck off.___________

Looks like Dan took some LCD a few hours ago and that shit is starting to kick in.

Man, I remember the first time I took LCD, everything was so sharp until I took OLED. That shit blew my mind.

Organic Light Emitting Diodes?

Yeah it's a good example of what a college coming of age comic could be (if you don't focus on the would-be murderer/rapist or the lesbian suicide couple or the fundamentalist kidnapper)

it does look longer now

>Also, we have a better view of Joyce's sweater, and I don't see any blood stains.

It's possible to remove blood stains

>Joyce's hand must have shriveled from wearing her brace for so long. RIP her hand. Poor thing.

Willis is dog piss at drawing hands. Which is funny because I always heard hands were the more difficult anatomy to draw. Is Willis not a good artist?

It's a pity because well-drawn hands are like a special treat to me.

>Is Willis not a good artist?
I don't think he lacks talent, he just doesn't give a fuck about quality.
The guy will have been drawing comics daily for twenty years this september and the only big difference since this strip from seventeen years ago is he went digital and started coloring things.

True, but here's a strip from only a day or two ago.

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Willis appears to have gone on the offensive about the upcoming "Visionaries vs. Transformers" book, specifically in regards to a forum user who took offense at the change of one character's race:
twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/906483405394767872

>Another day, another fit thrown by BassX0 because IDW un-whited a forgotten character from the Eighties.

>"Uh oh someone's gonna do the thing"
>"HI I'M BASSX0 HERE TO DO THE THING"

>"what was wrong with this" he asks of a franchise that crashed and burned before the first season even ended

>"VISIONARIES WAS PERFECT AS IT WAS, THAT'S WHY THE COMIC BOOK WAS CANCELLED MID-STORYLINE"

So I guess Willis is autistic about Visionaries for some reason.

I really want to see how Willis would meltdown if they redesigned Hot Rod.

Carla's a cunt and deserves nothing, jacob looks like a sane person, which in the doa universe is pretty rare.
I don't think they have ever interacted tho, which is very very sad.

Seriously, the only reason Carla is so popular here is because of trapfags' fetishes that t out of hand, I would never wish anyone to be in a relationship with such a cunt. I would pump and dump her tho. No homo

I like to think she has a high-end, expensive vagina.

I don't like Carla, but her and Mary would be a very interesting couple. Plus, they're both hate-mongers. It would make sense.

Mary would never go out with Jacob, because Willis has probably secretly decided she's also a racist, which has literally never been said or implied at this point. But it's Willis, sooooo...

I'd be willing to bet he drew/wrote the strips on a different day and couldn't be bothered to keep with continuity.

His hands don't look like cubes anymore, I guess.

>Joyce doesn't know the difference between "prostitute" and "Protestant"
>Comes up with "tattered flesh of my vanquished enemies"
Hm.

Mom Joyce is best Joyce
Also that's Danny pretty fucking gay

>tattered flesh of my vanquished enemies
That burns my canoli. She didn't "vanquish" him. She glassed him and he was about wreck her when Sarah arrived and beat the shit out of him. Joyce then spent the next several weeks terrified of him and even developing mild agoraphobia. Then we got a largely off-panel passing of the plot baton, Amber shredded him and he's gone.

I understand that Joyce may want to think of herself as overcoming Ryan and that not all stories in the real world come with closure, but that's not how Willis sees it or the story treats it. He's said that Joyce shouldn't have to face Ryan again because she already beat him (she didn't). It's like in Jessica Jones how she's the one with this past history with Kilgrave, she's the one with the scars and issues from that encounter, everything's been slowly building to this confrontation... than, while Jessica is having a drink across town, the Punisher shows up and blows Kilgrave away.

It's a shitty line, but technically he is "her vanquished enemy" even if she did none of the vanquishing. Paul "Ryan" Shore ain't comin' back.

>It's a shitty line....
And that is why my canoli is overcooked.

DOA operates on a floating timeline like the Simpsons or Batman or most other comics and cartoons so it's always going to be [CURRENT YEAR] in Indiana. The problem is most stories that use floating timelines aren't decompressed to shit but DOA has only covered a month and a half in time because Willis wants to put off sophomore year as long as possible. So as a result the whole fucking comic feels simultaneously like it's moving too fast and it's taking forever to get somewhere else, which TBF is impressive level of incompetence on Willis's part

dumbingofage.com/archive-2/
So it turns out the current title of the chapter we're currently in is called "Face The Strange", which either refers to David Bowie's "Changes" or the Good Charlotte song of the same name.

The next chapter title is "This Is The Way That We Love", which appears to refer to the Mika song "Happy Ending".

Just wanted to bring that all up.

There's also a horrible fanfic called "Face the Strange." Not quite in the camp of "My Immortal," but it's almost as bad.

If you used the actual plot of DoA as the basis for a Harry Potter fanfic, how do you think it would be received?

Why are a lot of men and women in this quirky brand of nerd culture quick to talk about video games but exclusively Nintendo ones?

>one character points out that Ruth will just slip back into her old ways
>Billie outright suggests beating her up
>Ruth threatens to slip back into her old ways if this "hilariously" pair of mismatched roommates don't stop being hilariously mismatched
>this is an actual punchline to this shitshow of a comic
Hogwarts is the one school where shit hitting the fan as much as it has in DoA would be considered just another school year

It apparently morphed by the time they were at the party (and continued to morph while they were there). Still, you're right it wasn't long. It seemed like it had a high bottom cuff, maybe even above the belly button. And then that cuff was wide but ended near the hips.

It made for a really cute design on the more compressed figures he used to draw. It accentuates the bust and the hips, while still being conservative enough for Joyce.

Now, it still starts at around the same spot on the body as when shown at the party. But because the figure is longer, he has extended the cuff down more. It's worth noting that later in the party the cuff did get a bit longer, but this is extreme.

>this quirky brand of nerd culture
i have no idea what you mean by that but Willis grew up with a SNES (judging by the fact that he referenced fucking Battleclash of all things). he's not one to let go of childhood memories so Nintendo shit is his default goto for video game references even though i'm pretty sure he doesn't play video games anymore

also in case anyone is wondering, this is what "alfred the incredibly racist" looks like

If Hogwarts were on DoA time they'd be somewhere in the third book right now; Voldemort would be defeated during first year winter break.

Nintendo was cheaper for a long time and tends to have a catalog of games that appeal towards non-continuous play.

Wouldn't it be funnier to draw the guy and have a lower bubble saying "ehh, maybe not him" rather than reference him but not draw him? I don't get the game reference (even though this screenshot seems familiar enough that I probably played it and forgot it) but this seems completely devoid of jokes.

Even the part where she's championing a forgotten "gem" seems reduced by Leslie also knowing exactly what she's talking about.

>Nintendo was cheaper for a long time and tends to have a catalog of games that appeal towards non-continuous play.
Plus, you're going to have more options for multiplayer. More options outside of FPSs, that is.

Mario Party ruins friendships. Let's hope Joe and Danny don't make that mistake.

He probably thought the dude was too hard to draw. This is Willis.

Leslie and Robin already had their babies, it looks like. I'm sure Robin talks about Battle Clash on a regular basis when they're living together. But you're still right.

>Even the part where she's championing a forgotten "gem" seems reduced by Leslie also knowing exactly what she's talking about.
Yeah, that could've been fixed by Leslie calling it "that stupid Battle Clash game you're always going on about" with Robin going "It is NOT stupid!"

As far as I can see, characters don't exist outside the panels of the comic. She can't complain about Robin playing the game, because Willis never considered that as an option.

Ruth was off-panel and didn't exist until she popped up in the hallway to stop the Mary/Carla fight.

Ryan's vaguely in the hospital right now. Has Becky's dad been mentioned in the past few months? The last year?

It's because Willis hasn't even thought of them. They'll get brought up when it's convenient, if ever.

That's called laziness, user, it's not his fault you can't read. I don't even read this comic and I still went through these.