Tom King staying on Batman for 100 issues

>Such as Tom saying that he wants to write Batman for 100 issues, that’s what he’s got planned out to write. In comparison, Scott Snyder wrote the book for around 50 issues, with some spin-offs here and there. Tom King wants to double that.

>“The best lesson to learn in comics, and probably any serialized medium,” King says he eventually realized, “is that the next guy who gets it is going to erase everything you did.”

>For King, then, writing Batman well is at least partly about knowing when to cede control: when to fall back on the character’s history, when to let the artists step in and do their jobs. But that doesn’t mean he out of the process. “What eventually you find in comics,” King says, “is the only thing unique you can bring to a character who’s been around for 80 years is yourself.”

bleedingcool.com/2017/09/08/tom-king-planning-batman-100-issues/

slate.com/articles/podcasts/working/2017/09/how_does_batman_writer_tom_king_work.html

When will it end?!

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/09/08/mark-doyle-batman-david-finch-proposal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I actually like King's run so far. For the most part at least.
But his serial killer Riddler is terrible, so I worry about the rest of the gallery. And the dialogue could be much more tight.

Fuck. Cant we just put him a Kite Man book?

Eh he was already a killer before this book. It's better than nice guy informant Riddler IMO.

I'm glad he plans on staying for the long run. He just needs to ditch Janin ASAP

Could be at least tone down the edge and stop making all the villain sadistic serial killers and child murders

Killing isnt the issue, turning him into an edgey fuckwit with abs is

>He had, he tells us, grown up without a father, and he wanted his own children to have a different experience.

Is King kite man?

After the next arc or two it's dropping off my list. As much as the Sale covers have kept me around I'm done with this book. It isn't good and King has no clue what he's doing with it. DC has some of the shittiest art it has on this book and it really shouldn't be getting anywhere near the scores it gets from reviewers.

If it isn't Finch (I can't believe I typed that) on the next arc, or if I even smell more of his suicidal depression crap I'm done with it. And I wont stop anti-shilling it until King admits himself to a psych ward or at least gets ripped off of this.

I sincerely would prefer scott snyder at this point. And I fucking hate the way that dude writes batman. I fucking ragged on him defending king through the first few arcs. This book is a disaster and I fucking hate that I'm one of the people that keeps it above 100K buying three copies just to have a back-up Sale cover.

>Is King kite man?

Absolutely.

I like King's Batman. At least he's telling coherent, consistent stories. Better than some *other* writers we've dealt with.

Cool, I can live with not buying Batman comics for another three years, assuming double shipped.

>coherent
not at all.
>consistent
for being shit.

How is breaking batmans back and unbreaking the same issue it coherent? How is catwoman beating bane so easily coherent? How is batman having his throat slashed and it not even being a plot point coherent? How is hanging the robins off page, healing them off page coherent?

How is Batman getting his ass kicked for two and half issue after jobbing the entire suicide mission and throat slashing, before headbutting bane coherent or consistent?

This shit is garbage. I Am Gotham and Night of the Monster Men were where the fun and intrigue ended. At the point it became "Tom King spills blood as always."

I liked Swampy and Fudd (the button was good enough too but he only wrote 1/4th) but otherwise ever since Monster Men he's been absolutely fucking TRASH.

So is he the bendis or dan slott of DC.

I'm absolutely surprised at the book's popularity, sales wise.

Like are there really that many people who find emo edgelord batman relatable,or entertaining??

>I hate this book and want King booted off writing duties.

Dont buy three copies of every issue yourself then dipshit

I'm actually excited. Feel bad for my LCS as I'll pretty much only be stopping in once a month for 2 Superman issues, a Super Sons and an Aquaman.

Marini will be a nice breath of fresh air in november.

>How is breaking batmans back and unbreaking the same issue it coherent?

Wait, really? Did a doctor judo chop his vertebrae back into place like Rises?

Finish reading my post. (or really just take the first sentence to heart). I don't plan on it. I hate to take books off my list because one of my two LCSs is very small time so they're pretty much left with a deadstock issue if I don't tell them before the order. Which is small beans but I still feel bad.

When they took Sale off the covers I debated hopping off the train but they brought him back. he's the only artist I would do this for. Maybe Frank Miller but I'd require only him on art, sketchy as it may be now.

To be honest, King's run has been way more enjoyable than Snyder's run. His biggest problem is that he still has a hard time getting Batman's voice right.

No, worse, he did it himself. In a few hours.

>How is Batman getting his ass kicked for two and half issue after jobbing the entire suicide mission and throat slashing, before headbutting bane coherent or consistent?

I wish I could unsee this.

>did it to himself

It sounds like this comic is being written by a sentient /fit/ meme.

>>Such as Tom saying that he wants to write Batman for 100 issues, that’s what he’s got planned out to write. In comparison, Scott Snyder wrote the book for around 50 issues, with some spin-offs here and there. Tom King wants to double that.
Well, King is WAY better than Snyder so I'm all for it.

I've had people tell me Rooftops is "good". It treats bats as a retard with a healing factor.

I've seen people refer to I Am Bane as good. Aside from having Bane run the same gauntlet he mad batman run it was full of the same stupid shit IAS and Rooftops was.

And the funny thing is, you NEVER see the people who like Kings work mention something like that (the reverse gauntlet, having Bane break in to Arkham to fight through the villains to get to batman rather than breaking them out to fight batman. I thought that WAS one stroke of semi-genius on his part.)

Are you implying they aren't already serial killers?

The Riddler never used to be. Not the type to stab someone himself. Or to kill a guys kid and talk shit about it. He's become fucking christopher moltisanti.

Are you implying he was?

I don't think I can respect a comic book writer who says "I want to work on [long-running series] for X amount of issues!"

Like, I can understand doing that with something new: a brand new character/series, or a somewhat new subseries for which you want to leave a blueprint for future writers.

But specifically for long-running series, it never comes across as anything but a fanboy getting too much control and not being able to see themselves in an objective fashion. Because they're only doing it for one of two awful reasons: 1) their fanboyism forces them to try to get "longest-running writer on X" as a record or 2) their greed forces them to think that they'll eventually get "Series X Omnibus by Writer" and that they'll rake in dough.

In a word, I can't believe I have to say this about King, but:
Focus on **quality**, not **quantity**.

King is a hack that needs to fuck off from comics in general.

See, I don't even necessarily want him gone from DC in general. Just off batman. He sucks on it.

Him with Jason and RHATO seems like an emo wrist-slashing match made in heaven.

Nah, King is a great writer. He just needs to fuck off from Batman because he's just using it as an excuse for an easy paycheck. He doesn't need to put in any work on Batman because it's Batman.

Considering how he tend to write Jason as just a guy who crack jokes left and right, I prefer he stay the heck away from him and his books.

Since when Jason was emo?

>Him with Jason and RHATO
>match made in heaven
Is this a joke? He isn't good at writing him at alll.

Thats not saying much, user. The only okay thing Snyder did was Court of Owls

Geez, I really hope not. I like Tom King but his Batman is his worst work by far and I'd like to see him tackle things that are better suited to his talents

We'll disagree about jason being all about "muh depressing feels". That was the joke. No need to discuss it, there was another thread for that. Simply disagree with the joke and say it wasn't funny. Don't derail this thread with a Robin discussion.

>having Bane break in to Arkham to fight through the villains to get to batman rather than breaking them out to fight batman. I thought that WAS one stroke of semi-genius on his part.

I keep getting the impression that most people who like King's run have only read Snyder, or started with N52 comics in general.

When that's the only thing you can compare to this run,then it's easier to be on board, I guess.

How can someone defend this if they've read O'Neil or any old runs from the 80's and early 90's?

Who derail this very interesting thread about how king sucks? It's not like you bringing anything new to the table.

>How can someone defend this if they've read O'Neil or any old runs from the 80's and early 90's?
In my case, I can't. At first it was because I legitmately was happy to have a new writer moving on from Snyder. And I felt Finch's art on the batbook, after seeing it, mixed with Kings writing was at least worth some enthusiasm.

>I keep getting the impression that most people who like King's run have only read Snyder, or started with N52 comics in general.
I get this feeling about most things these days. At best its the type of people that started with N52 and think anything before isn't worth their time.

Honestly, can't disagree.

These kind of threads as bad as who is the best muh Robin threads because people keep saying the same things over and over again.

Also, King saying that he would like to stay till 1000 has been old news since July and we already discussed this.

you don't have to like the topic to stay on topic. I'll even go one further and say, I apologize if my joke was so offensive to you.

That's the nicest thing I've ever posted.

Try to stay on topic.

And what I've added is the brunt of posts in this thread. Because I actually care about the comics I read and the money I spend. Excuse me for wanting to discuss that.

The robin thread was recently kept from dying. You'll likely enjoy it.

Then why are you in this thread? I fucking HATE cartoons. And cartoonfags. I dont go into cartoon threads and shit them up though. I want them to discuss what they like and are concerned with.

Fuuuuck

At least it's still double shipping so we're almost half way there. It'll be a little over 4 years that he'll be on the title if it stays double shipping.

I just don't know why people think there's worth in such long runs. It kills me when i see someone like the faggots at IGN mentioning long, sustained runs being a good thing. Most of the runs they mention were across multiple bat books.

This thread is about King's writing and you brought up him writing a Robin who is related to Batman. This is on topic and no one went off it expect you suddenly getting triggered.

>N52 and think anything before isn't worth their time
Tbf, it's like there's many good Batman pre-52. Not to mention how bad the art is in early 00s wich make them unreadable.

*it's not like there are

>Not to mention how bad the art is in early 00s wich make them unreadable
This. I tried reading pre flashpoint Batfam books and they were unreadable.

I didn't "bring it up", I made a joke which immediately drew three responses that were very clearly centered on the joke rather than the intent which was "get king off batman."

The second half, also a reply to me, pretty much tells me what I'm dealing with here.

>Tbf, it's like there's many good Batman pre-52

jesus.

preemptively, I understood what you meant before the correction.

I agree.

I actually read 70s-80s and they were really enjoyable compared to 00s before the reboot which you really can't enjoy unless you are nostalgia fan who grow up with this period.

Dixon's Nightwing probably could've been better had McDaniel not been the artist half his run.

And boy was the art in Cass' Batgirl book bad. Sucks because the writing was good there, and then when the writing got worse, the art got better.

>I actually read 70s-80s and they were really enjoyable compared to 00s before the reboot which you really can't enjoy unless you are nostalgia fan who grow up with this period.

But seriously, after reading that, can you see what we are missing with the current run?

I'm not that much of a nostalgia fan, but Batman seems to have lost weight (character wise, not physically) or mystery. Let's not even mention his once famous detective skills, which nowadays are like a meme. They are always mentioned but never displayed.

> Not so fast Sup Forums you heard DC we’ve got adventures to go on Sup Forums Just you and me and sometimes Snyder and sometimes Tynion but NEVER Marvel! You wanna know why Sup Forums? Because he CROSSED me Oh it gets darker Sup Forums Welcome to the darkest year of our adventures First thing that’s different No more Marvel Sup Forums He threatened to crash the comics industry so I made him and the government go away I replaced them both as the defacto titles in your pull list. DC wouldn’t have accepted me if I came home without you, so now you know the real reason I rescued you. I JUST TOOK OVER THE PULL LIST Sup Forums! And if you tell DC I said any of this I’ll deny it And they’ll take my side because I’m a hero Sup Forums And now you’re gonna have to do whatever I say Sup Forums Forever And I’ll go out and make more issues of Batman Sup Forums. Because that’s what this is all about Sup Forums That’s my one arm man I’m not driven by making lasting changes to Batman Sup Forums That was FAKE I’m driven by getting to issue 100. I want that 100th issue Sup Forums That’s my series arc Sup Forums If it takes 7 years. I WANT MY 100TH ISSUE Sup Forums. IT’S GONNA TAKE US ALL THE WAY TO THE END Sup Forums. 7 MORE YEARS Sup Forums. 7 MORE YEARS UNTIL I GET THAT 100TH ISSUE. FOR 97 MORE YEARS Sup Forums. I WANT THAT 100TH ISSUE Sup Forums!

It's undefensible. Everything is cinematic gibberish, cool looking slides that make zero sense when put together.

I think I get the most mad over this War arc when it comes to that too. You see reviewers and normies praising the art (which sucks) but the worst is that most of the "action" has been told, not show, on VERY stagnant and shitty spreads and splashes.

>Brainlet on suicide watch

why are you on suicide watch, user? Reading too much Tom King lately?

>The Riddler never used to be a killer

Number one, that isn't what I said. Number two what you posted doesn't disagree with that, regardless of your understanding, or proper representation, of what I said.

>Indefensible
And your spelling ain't the only thing that's shit.
Everything is cinematic gibberish, cool looking slides that make zero sense when put together.
How stupid are ya? Because King's Batman is not a difficult read, it's pretty straight forward narrative.anyone who's arguing that King's Batman that is indecipherable or pretentious must have a 5th grader's reading level.

>that isn't what I said!
>Not the type to stab someone himself.
That's exactly what you said.

Go fuck yourself OP, you are a faggot contrarian and this run has been great.

We can only pray we get King for 100 issues and to any retard that disagrees, I highly doubt you were reading during the Snyder era. We had to sit back and watch the Batfamily get shit on for 5 years.

I've read many runs of Batman and have been since the 90s. King's been doing solid job and the complaints about it being emo are pretty exaggerated. We're finally free of non-stop inner monologues and historical references. Alfred isnt a little birch crying about his "son." Batman will always have his contrarian fans. Even though there's like 7 monthly books to choose from.

Absolute Edition at the end of the run please

He's the most overrated comic writer ever possibly. The fact that he is shitting his pants week after week on the biggest character in comics should be evidence of this, but for some reason people still haven't figured it out.

His edge is very tame compared with Snyders.

Kingautists on eternal suicide watch.

He just dropped an explicit Camus reference like it was anything other than a tired lazy allusion literally last issue. The very definition of pretentious.

>this is what Snyder haters believe

This. This is the most human Bruce has been since ONeil and Englehardt. Dixon brought about the autistic angry Bruce and every writer since except Morrison ran with that.

Its very refreshing to have him not just be a walking ball of anger again.

Order of events:
>user 1 says he wants them not be sadistic serial killers (mentions killing kids which is clearly reference to Riddler)

>user 2 says are you implying they aren't

>user 3, me, says "the riddler never used to be [a serial killer]. Not the type to stab someone himself. Or to kill a guys kid and talk shit about it. He's become fucking christopher moltisanti. Are you implying he was?"

>user (maybe 2 maybe you're a new user, user 4) replies with a screen cap about Riddler not killing people while telling me I said Riddler didn't used to be a killer (rather than a sadistic killer who does the sadistic things mentioned).

>user 3, me, says "not quite what I said, regardless I'd still be right according to your picture."

>user 2 or 4 (you), respond "you said what i said you said" completely disregarding it still doesn't matter.

So okay, user. I get why you were confused. I meant Riddler wasn't the type of dude to stab someone so sadistically or goad a father about the son he took from him.

So I'll take on the "he wouldn't kill people before" comment you've attributed to me. Now tell me why I'm wrong, according to that screen shot.

>teleports behind you
>nothin personnel Bats

God you think people never saw a supervillain before. If you ever check out tumblr you would see so many riddler "fans" crying about how King is writing a bad guy acts likee a bad guy because they forget their riddler fanfiction isn't actually canon.

>We're finally free of non-stop inner monologues
ARE YOU FUCKING JOKING!? HAVE YOU READ A SINGLE FUCKING ARC SINCE ISSUE FUCKING ONE? IT'S ALL MONOLOGUES WHETHER THEY'RE INNER OR DRONING ON TO SOMEONE ELSE!!

>Walking ball of anger
Jesus christ. He's a walking ball of angst and "meh". He's fucking pic related at all times. He hasn't been angry at all except for in IAS. And even then it was more of a farcical anger to dupe Bane into breaking his back.

Oh I Remember you from last time! The guy who hates lliterary allusions.

The day King leaves Batman, Slott will still be in ASM.
At least King is somehow more conpetent than Slott

Like I said: a fifth grader's reading level.

>Like are there really that many people who find emo edgelord batman relatable,or entertaining??
That's the most popular Batman right behind Asshole Batgod. Remember how casuals hated Brave and the Bold and screamed "not muh Batman"?

It's like this thread is full of one shitposting user who hasn't read batman, King or otherwise and is just saying controversial shit.

That's not what he said then or there. He hates cliches and commonly used allusions.

Him saying he hates Gatsby or Tale of Two Cities references wouldn't be the same as him saying he hates literary references.

The riddler has killed kids before.

>teleports behind you kid
>spouts meme philosophy
>heh

user, you calling someone fifth grade for not appreciating entry level references doesn't make it true. Discuss king or even just fucking batman or fuck off. You and the other user who seem to love the reference have been attacking this kid since the story time.

Fuck off.

Nope that was some other guy. Although watching you try and parse out the difference between hating lazy allusions and allusions in general was pretty entertaining.

Mark Doyle Left Batman Over Tom King’s Choice Of David Finch For Catwoman Proposal
bleedingcool.com/2017/09/08/mark-doyle-batman-david-finch-proposal/

I'm not call you a fifth grader, I'm saying you have the reading level of one.
>though I'm beginning to see that's an insult towards fitlfth graders.

So you admit the only people who find King's writing to be well written and have depth read at a fifth grade level.

Well then you're an idiot for repeating the argument.

You're not calling me anything faggot that's a different user.

Sup Forums do you not see how shitty these king haters are at reading comprehension?

All the ignorance in the world doesn't suddenly make Kite Man talking to his dead son about Sisyphus anything but hackneyed trite bullshit.

How is it lazy though?

Can you explain how though?

Yeah most of their argument is literally

>WAHHH WHY ISNT THIS BOOK BEING SHALLOW WHY IS IT TRYING

>Let's not even mention his once famous detective skills
Forget those what about his supposed "preptime plans"? His fucking plans are
>I'll just build a mech to take down Supes and WW!
Like where's the fucking creativity in that? Fucking hate all the casual cocksuckers who eat this shit up.

Kek.

Kite Man just happened to have a conversation about freshman existentialism with his son (whose name is already Charlie Brown) before he was senselessly murdered but only happens to pontificate on it after the fact when he's looking out at the ocean wondering where it all went wrong because the issue needed some shorthand depth.

You said the only people who would have trouble with it would be fifth graders, implying that it is simple bullshit for middle schoolers when it is clearly trying to be way more than that.