Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tvGNJc0yYLU
twitter.com/brandonlgtaylor/status/901668287347642368
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The first look at Batman White Knight does not fill me with confidence

At least it will look pretty.

who is the narrator

no spoil, please

(it can't be more of a mindfuck than your usual Gene Wolfe narrator reveal)

You don't want to know, trust me. The reveal is fucking hilarious.

I don't want it spoiled, no! It's been a lurking question and it just became deliberately drawn to our attention

EXTRA T H I C C

FUCK grad school.

That is all.

Hello, Storyteller.

Y'know, I never really understood why the whole 'tacticool' style gets so much hate. It ain't like it's anymore ridiculous than any other style. I'd understand if the complaint was directed at the fact that it's often done poorly, with all manner of unnecessary lines and straps and what not, but like steampunk, people seem to be offended at the mere existence of the style. And that's just fucking stupid.

quals, coursework, evil profs, you can vent to us

It represents perfectly the blandification of weird comics shit into something that can be put on screen and sold to a mass audience

I mean, at least for me, that's much of it

Costumes trends in general are bad

Because it's often done poorly.

That's practicool.

100% this.

It's less the style itself and more how it's used in comics.

whoops

I wouldn't really mind if tacticool comics engaged with tacticool themes. Like... was it Prowler recently? Shady military comic that actually wasn't at all and was boring.

As a general design trend tacticool stuff is total crap. Superhero costumes can be crazy, keep 'em crazy. If you wanna militarize your guy also militarize your comic in an interesting way.

And the sorta space-age medieval Thor and New Gods designs are way better for that anyway.

It was used well for USAgent recently.

Now, I can see him being practical, that's who he is.

But who the fuck would ever find the recent Foolkiller costume better than the pirate hat?

Yeah, if someone told me a costume was tacticool I'd instantly think of all those Liefeld costumes with the pouches that never get used.

>If you wanna militarize your guy also militarize your comic in an interesting way.

that's a very good way to put it.

Also, work with your artist, because if you go realistic you need the attention to detail, IMO. No guns that look like the love child of an M16 and a toaster if your dude is in proper body armor.

Desu I actually think when US Agent is serving in Iraq or whatever, because IIRC as of Secret Empire and Falcap that is literally what he was doing - just have him in the regular army get-up with a mask.

Like Spider-Nam's idea, right? That's probably just what he would wear.

Honestly I'm just tired of the whole "this is what heroes would REALLY wear" nonsense. It's not fucking real. Just design something that tells me what the story is like and fuck off.

Me, because the pirate hat makes no sense.

lol, there's some shots fired

he's a poet!

It offsets the weird, tight bodysuit and silver shell ornament. Not enough fashion designer superheroes/villains out there too bee aiych.

reminder that there had been a great deal of fuss about supposed negative subliminal messages in art that scared the authorities, including a whole Judas Priest trial

delete

I don't remember poets being known for their pirate hats.

See, I get that, but that's still a fairly superficial view. Tacticool is not stopping comics from being wacky and outlandish, in fact a more down to earth aesthetic could easily be used to highlight the delightfully crazy shit. No, it's hiveminded marketing that's slowly transforming all corporate owned media into a homogenous pile of bland, samey sludge.

To use a relevant example, marketers see that Call of Duty is popular as fuck, thus their product must be more like Call of Duty to be successful. Batman is popular as fuck, therefore everything must be more like Batman to sell copies. What they don't seem to realize is that CoD fans and Batman fans already have CoD and Batman, making attempts to pander to that demographic utterly fucking pointless.

It's not the style's fault, tacticool is just another victim of corporate idiocy.

can y'all explain call of duty in like under 500 words to me? is that the one with aliens and shit, or is it more historical?

>What they don't seem to realize is that CoD fans and Batman fans already have CoD and Batman, making attempts to pander to that demographic utterly fucking pointless
That's not true at all, people who are fans of something will most definitely look for stuff that's similar to that one other thing.
There's a comic book in my country that's somewhat similar to Supernatural (by accident, as it turns out, the author had never watched the show) and I remember the writer said Supernatural fans made up most of that comic's readership because they WANTED more things like Supernatural.

'WARFIGHTER' is still my favourite vidya sub-title ever.

he got it bad for dat ass

I thought only millennials were adverse to Google, OP :^)

I MEAN LIKE you guys can clearly give me a more entertaining and tailored to "shit I know OP likes" account of this

Go-to cookie-cutter military action game. Where Press F to Pay Respects comes from. Recent games have gotten funky lasers and robots and shit, from like "war 20 minutes in the future"

As a whole, pretty shit. That said these aren't really my kind of games. But I do think Battlefield 1 is really fun.

the aliens one is Gears of War, unless there is more than that

>Welcome, says the penis.

I have a hard time keeping my shootan games straight, it's not a genre I play

I dunno, but man it'd be funny if this comic got someone to kill themselves in front of Milligan. Now THAT would be Hypercrisis.

Call of Duty was a WW2 series and jumped to Modern Warfare and got SUPER HUGE for multiplayer bc there was a void for console shooters as i recall.

I like Battlefield 1 because there are brief moments of extreme chaos where like, a tank blows up the building over you while all your squad are machine-gunned to death and a guy on fire runs past and stabs another guy to death as he's burning and you get a brief "this sure is fucked up" sense of detachment before you, your avatar, also dies.

It feels appropriate for a WW1 game.

Now I'm trying to remember what the strategy game with the dwarves with munitions and this one level you open with maximum exploding was

Would have been around c. 1999 or so

Myth?

Ahh, there we go--funny how that string of descriptors gets you MYTH: THE FALLEN LORDS

so many hours of multiplayer

I generally dislike games with shit unexpectedly popping out to attack me, but I got that one for free back when Bing Rewards was called Club Live and was actually good.

Even so, it's a ridiculous fallacy to assume that if your product is twisted to resemble a popular product, that it will automatically perform better. We saw this in action in the 90s, where everything was swiftly corrupted by Liefeldism like fuckin' phazon.

Companies love to delude themselves into thinking that 'appealing to as large an audience as possible' is not only a good idea, but that it works. Like you said, people will seek out stuff similar to stuff they like. But what about people who don't like CoD or Batman? Perhaps it's better for your IPs to maintain their own identity instead of cynically chasing trends.

I never really played multiplayer games when younger. First one was probably WoW and then SPACE STATION 13 which is still some of the most fun I have ever had playing videogames.

multiplayer Warcraft II was the stuff of my early college days

>Warcraft II
>Warcraft >IIWarcraft
>fucking
>II
>not even III
>II
Holy shit, you're ancient.

LOL

>tfw never Warcraft 4

DABU DABU

youtube.com/watch?v=tvGNJc0yYLU

I played the shit out of Jedi Academy when I was younger. I can't believe that game is STILL getting mods and working servers.

given the dorm floorplan, you could tell who was losing by which direction the screams of rage came from

>practicool

Practicool is just tacticool with fewer military pouches and colours other than black.

we also played Diplomacy, which resulted in one near fist-fight

Not gonna lie, sometimes I forget Warcraft was a thing before WoW. Apparently III had some shit about the elves accidentally breaking a magic tree, or something.

It's kinda like how Lyrica Nanoha completely overshadowed Triangle Heart 3.

Well then, looks like someone forgot witch pedal was the brake.

Warcraft III sets up pretty much all of WoW's lore, the first games were almost afterthoughts by comparison.

what's out this next week? big week yes?

this compilation of sfx is making me super-nostalgic

Warcraft 3 was great.

Never played that. We stick to pleb boardgames like Settlers of Catan.

Mage and the Chaykining

Diplomacy is a really simple map tactical/backstabbing game

Attempts to play Axis and Allies tended to get derailed by the Axis having one too many rum and cokes

Have you played Crusader Kings II, OP? You might enjoy it.

Call of Duty 1-3: WW2! In Videogame form! On Consoles!
Call of Duty 4: Tacticool Military Espionage! Kill The Russians before they take over the near future USA!
Call of Duty everything past that - Check out this sweet ass Mountain Dew fueled multiplayer, brah, level up you gundudeman and t-bag doubleniggers you noscoped!

I haven't but I saw this fucking hilarious thread about it

twitter.com/brandonlgtaylor/status/901668287347642368

>My wife who is also my granddaughter found out I'm cheating on her with my lover, who is also my third cousin. Woops.

TY BB

Not that user, but that isn't even atypical. It's a really great game: every time you really get started on a playthrough it tends to mutate into this amazing dynastic story.

It's not hard to run and it's low velocity when you're actually playing too, so probably worth giving it a shot.

I was really freaked out recently by finding out that Grigory Potemkin's mistresses were his nieces. Nobility were deranged.

This book is so utterly, unabashedly /d/.

crusader kings always looks fun, i love the idea of making cool dynasty stories, but it seems like the learning curve is way to steep to get into

They're all inbred wackos! WW1 thinned em out real good though

I'm a little impressed that they got away with this much even given the Vertigo label

It's in the same vein as games like dorf fort and liberal crime squad IMO. Playing isn't about winning, but about the experience & story you create.

I haven't been playing anything lately

I haven't had the energy to do anything but log into ESO to train my horse then log out

Honestly, if COD has had one effect that you may have noticed outside of FPSs, it's the whole "leveled multiplayer" thing where you need to unlock every option or piece of gear through relentless grinding in MP games.

Basically, how every game's multiplayer has the same skinner box mechanics as a MMORPG.

The New Saucer Country tpb
Hellblazer vol 17
Metal #2
Mister Miracle
Redlands
Dr. Aphra

... Fuck. There are people on this site who have never played a shareware game, aren't there?

Fuck it, since we're talking video games, I'm just so fucking excited for Samus Returns. Even if it's not the greatest fucking thing ever, it feels so good to finally, after ten long years, to have a real Metroid game.

I think a DnA Legion trade is coming out

oh i don't even really mean win. just like it doesn't seem too pick up and play.

I used to go to the computer store to buy shareware because THEY had a huge database of it and would copy games for you onto a disk for a small fee

My first PC was a Compaq 386 SX-20

This is just making most of the stuff from the MAX line even more embarassing in comparison.

Question for the thread: what is your favourite lesser-known MAX or Vertigo series?

Wait, really?

Goddamn, Kyle Katarn may not be canon anymore, but he still lives.

>tfw still waiting for Bloodstained
Blasphemous looks like it might scratch the Castlevania itch if it releases though.

You'll learn by failure for sure.

Crusader Kings and EUIV are a ton of fun, especially if you can get a multiplayer group going then it's a real History clusterfuck .

That time the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth( having absorbed Scandinavia and Russia) formed an Alliance with the Ottoman Empire to fight France ( The Holy Roman Emperor) and Venice ( who conquered the Iberian Peninsula)

My floor mostly played Starcraft, which by then was already a fairly old game.

And then some of the more depraved got into the Korean scene and ruined the dynamics of it by getting good.

Paradox games are hard to get in to, especially since you can't really say "Just watch a let's play" because they keep changing mechanics years later. EUIV from two years ago (when I last played) is indistinguishable from the launch game.

> favorite lesser-known MAX or Vertigo series

I love the Guy Davis drawn Phantom Stranger one shot