Has Marvel EVER been good? It seems like since I started reading comics, it's just been a line of shit

Has Marvel EVER been good? It seems like since I started reading comics, it's just been a line of shit

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:1961,_November
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is the oldest Marvel comic you've ever read?

Before the SJW craze their main problems were abusing events and relaunches and movie synergy. Before that they had bland storylines and a failing Bendis with too much power. Before that you had some good stories mixed with some bad stories.

To me Marvel lost a lot of its appeal in Heroic Age, the most boring period in Marvel history. Before that the events were bad but outside of that great stories were being written. People hated CW but the Initiative was great and even Bendis' Civil War Confession was amazing. Tony and Steve had such a bromance going people expected them to fuck at some point.

They were good until the 80s ended

Read Marvel Masterworks

There was good shit up until 2008 at the very lesst.

eh we rag about XTREME but I liked 90s X-men. Shit felt like it had a sense of direction that's just lost these days

90s were amazing for the X-Men but not much else for Marvel.

Remender's X-Force came out in 2010 so at least until then

Marvel in general had a LOT of good stuff leading up to the early 90's, and it went kind of goofy after that. Well, in my humble opinion at least. In recent days, I think I'm one of the few that really liked All New All Different Ghost Rider as the comic was allowed to do its own thing in terms of story, and I liked the art style.

The main line Marvel books have strange editorial mandates. fucked up inconsistent bullshit as authors are swapped in and out, and have largely been subjected to the "Hey! Your classic hero's been replaced by shit you never wanted! Enjoy!" SJW tactic.

If you just started reading comics, I recommend Usagi Yojimbo, IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and if you MUST read a supers book and haven't gotten into them before much, check out Invincible starting from Issue 1. None of those 3 will let you down.

So the end of the Architect era.

There aren't better superhero comics than 70's Marvel comics.

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:1961,_November
Start reading from there.

The answer to that question is: No.

But there's been comics that people resonated with (X-Men for instance) or made them feel better (any Peter Parker line, cause his schtick is that his luck is worse than any reader's).

Go as far back as you want, but that's always been true of the caped hero stories.

Indie and creator owned comics are where it's at. The quality varies wildly, but you can be sure that comic writers shine best when the project is something they created and developed without having to rely on capeshit or Big 2 Overhead.

>Indie and creator owned comics

aren't all of those just mindless SJW junk?

the answer is yes. now ask a more specific question

wrong

wrong

at the present time, this user is correct

Mostly no. They settled for their "eternal loop" format pretty early.
I would argue some of their comics are worth read until Secret Wars(1984), but generally it shows the flaws of their mythos.
But even that is still crippled by weekly planned plot, no long term plans, and shitty editors.

>eternal loop format
you mean everything from the big 2? they cant just kill of spider-man or batman

No, you're confusing Marvel with indie/creator owned comics.

Marvel is the one pumping out SJW junk. That's why we're all bitching on Sup Forums right now.

Warren Ellis' Avatar Press comics were sorely underrated, yet balls to the wall unrestrained.

Mostly everything from the big to. They might write an spin off where shit is allowed to progress, like Elseword, but its generally pretty bad.
Weekly plot + editors is the worst, and is the main creative bottleneck

They were good from late 90s to late 2000s, where they poached all the DC/Vertigo writers.

Superhero comics weren't even good in the 70s. What's with this meme?

It's had good stuff and bad stuff. Just like any company. The Bru's cap and annihilation were tits, just to name two off the top of my head.

The Anti Soviet theme in MARVEL stuff was somewhat well done. Even if it was a sidenote to the poorly written per episode plot.

>Weekly plot + editors is the worst, and is the main creative bottleneck
How do you figure?

>Even if it was a sidenote to the poorly written per episode plot.
You can just say you didn't read them.

>ITT: children

none of you know a damn thing

So instead of a action filled 100 chapter comic book, shit just randomly happens.
Its half the reason why "Marvel Events" have bigger sales: They simply have a random plot, but stretch it for however long the event goes on, even if it ends with the event getting axed or extended once sales die/increase.

Its also why a lot of ImageComic series are nice: They get some insane author to write 3-4 volumes, and stop there.
Recent examples of "written with a goal and finish line" i can think of include Tomboy, Invincible, and most of Enis shorter comics.

Have you ever read early Ironman? I would guess the editorial notes go like
>This character survived chapter X and has these powers
>This character died
>Romance/Heart plot is still in eternal hiatus
>Doom has not yet resolved his issues
There is no plot or advancement.
Or rather: There is no advancement unless a event is planned. Then suddenly you have 10-20 chapters planned, instead of the half assed weekly plotlines.
Not to say Detective Comics is any better, but at the least Justice League stuff was fantastic, and they got to write a lot of Elseworld with dedicated plots.

If you don't know then you haven't read enough.

They've published some good stuff but mostly it's been shit or obscenely overrated capeshit.

They were great in the 1960's (1961-1972) from the creation of the Fantastic Four to the Death of Gwen Stacy.
They were great in the 1980's (1980-1991) from the death of Electra to the Infinity Gauntlet.

Looking back, Marvel will probably have moved into its combined universe epic page, from 2005-2015 starting with the fallout of disassembled and ending with Hickman's Secret Wars.

After reading stuff using Marvel Unlimited, the answer is NO.

It was never good. And somehow it's still worse now than it ever was.

Since Disassembled are just heroes fighting each other, and has been 13 years

>one of these faggots again
Oh, fuck off.

Maybe you should read for yourself instead of parroting Sup Forumsmblr's opinions, which come from plebbit

Kill yourself desu

X-men have always been the best part of Marvel

it was good in the late 60s, 70s, early 80s

Dis right here is da list of the best Marvel comics don't @ me.
>Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four
>Lee and Dikto's Spider-Man
>Walter Simonson's Thor
>Claremont's X-Men (if you're into that)
>Morrison's New X-Men
>Frank Millar's Daredevil
>Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four
>Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
>Ed Brubaker's Captain America
>Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery
>Ton King's Vision
>Ennis's Punisher Max
>Secret Warriors
>Fur MAX: My War Gone By (actual masterpiece)
Also i'd argue ((((Bendis))))'s run on Avengers is good (or at the very least entertaining) up until the end of the Dark Avengers storyline

Avengers Disassembled was the end of Marvel

What are the SJW books?

>pretending this isn't bait
I've read lots, but hardly everything. I am always finding something new to like. I have pretty broad tastes in capes, though.
>Lee/Kirby Thor is great from about 116 on. It really ramps up in the 130's. Simonson's run has its high points, but Thor is mind controlled for far, far too long, and the art turns to shit once Sal Buscema takes over.
>Spider-man is solid through the Romita sr and Conway/Andru eras, and has several good/great periods afterward, e.g.,Michelne/McFarlane/Larsen.
>Master of Kung Fu is fantastic after Moench's run starts.
>Lee/Kirby FF
>Lee/Kirby/Steranko Captain America and Kirby's solo 70's run, especially Madbomb
>Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne/Cockrum X-Men.
>OG Star Wars is great, especially after Goodwin/Infantino take over, the ESB adaption is drawn by Al Williamson and is stunning to behold.
>Kirby's Devil Dinosaur is trippy af
>Stern's run on avengers is excellent
>Werewolf by Night is strangely riveting.
Really, depending on taste, '66-86 is rematkably solid. After that things are still fantastic, but books are less discrete due to event shit.

Yep

They still put out good shit on rare occasion like My War Gone By or X-Statix, but the direction of the company really went in a way that has zero appeal to me with Disassembled