Rogue One #6 (Sep 6)
Star Wars Adventures #1 (IDW, Sep 6)

>Star Wars Rebels Season 4 Trailer 2
youtube.com/watch?v=0k_dEJPGCVU

>Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Behind the Scenes
youtube.com/watch?v=ye6GCY_vqYk

>Battlefront 2 - Behind the Story
youtube.com/watch?v=pryBP4K-_34

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Star Wars: Forces of Destiny
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpSnlSGciSWNBXSxZZrsvWdnoGsLCr6WL

>Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit?usp=sharing

Story time threads
→ VADER (2017) #5
→ PHASMA #1
→ IDW #1

What is she, /swco/?

Fuck absolutely everything about that last discussion
Let's leave it there.

They're going to fuck and you all know it

I don't personally know these people or their full histories so who gives a fuck if they died? I never feel sympathy for anyone. JJ should've deleted this scene.

Except those people that died are real.

>you will never live a life commandeering a fast 60-crew starship as a slippery depraved Sith Lord Booty Pirate, who has force dominated and corrupted an exotic and mixed crew of sexy female Twi'lek, Vahla, Chiss, Zeltron, Vultan, Farghul, Falleen, Devaronian, Dathomirian/Zabrak, Mirialan, Bpfasshi, Echani, Thyrsian, Epicanthix, Firrerreo, Keshiri, Kiffar, Morganian, Nagai, Omwati, Pantoran, Wroonian, Rattataki, Sarkhai, Tholothian, Umbaran, Vorzydiak, and Togruta sex-slaves to serve as your personal bodyguards and servants

Why even live?

1. Strawman, that was never argued.
2. JJ in fact did delete a scene that explained their backstories because it was "boring prequel politics". We want that back, not this gone.

Now kindly take a shotgun suppository.

>wanting a crew of filthy humanoids
Absolutely disgusting
Give me sexy Toydarians and Mon Cala any day

pls no

As the guy who started the argument (and gave it up like 20 minutes ago) I'm so sorry.

>2. JJ in fact did delete a scene that explained their backstories because it was "boring prequel politics". We want that back, not this gone.
Why?
It offers nothing.
Hmm, yes, Ms Mulatto Senator likes her coffee as dark as her father, yes, and hmm... She's worried about a tax reform on Bullshittius Beta. Gosh how will she get through this?
On no, it's the skybeam! I care so much! What about that tax reform!

It's pointless. The entire point of that scene was to show that real people died to the FO attack. That's it. Padding is pointless because they fucking die and nothing about them will be followed up.
All we need to see is that people died and that it wasn't just uninhabited worlds being blown up.
inb4 tell us in a line
Show not tell, remember?

It's funny how Mark Hamill's so good at playing villains despite playing the hero in the OT

Getting him to play Bane was genius

The deleted scene shows Leia talking to Korr Sella about going to Hosnian Prime and the Senate to get them to understand the FO threat. That was to explain who she was and why she was on Hosnian Prime when it gets blown up. Instead we just get the latter half, just Sella already there with no back story given by Leia.

Hell it would've also helped establish what Hosnian Prime is.

Vehiclebro here. In an attempt to provide an anchor for quality on-topic discussion (especially after that debacle last thread), I'm going to start off the thread with vessels that first appear chronologically in Empire Strikes Back.

First, the Echo Base Rebel Troop Transporter. A simple little hoversled conveyance. I am told they also appear in ROTJ, but I do not recall seeing them. Perhaps they are in the Home One hangar?

>Actually arguing against more Star Wars content
wew lad, that's a lot of effort for a bait post!

I definitely agree, but when would it have happened?
Leia and the Resistance appear only after the Hosnian Prime destruction
Rey and Finn are totally ignorant, and Poe doesn't seem to give a shit about politics.

How would you have brought it up?

I don't know precisely when the scene was supposed to go during the movie, but it was somewhere in the first act.

The classic industrial design of Ralph McQuarrie is embodied in the T-47 Airspeeder, also known as the Snowspeeder for their appearance on Hoth. I used to be obsessed with them, but I'm no longer as interested in purely atmospheric Star Wars vehicles as in Starfighters. Still, a fantastic design, always fun to play as in video games.

Possibly it could have appeared close to the beginning of the film? Right after Poe was captured perhaps?

You claim to want to anchor good discussion and yet you respond to the "bait?" Fuck you, man, you're as bad as the rest of us.

At least we don't attentionwhore in a desperate attempt to be recognized by a name/title we gave ourselves.

I would legit cruise around in one of those

I HAVE COME PREPARED

The Probe-Mate Hyperspace Pod is the method of dispatching Imperial Viper-class Probe Droids (Probots) to reconnoiter the galaxy.

They do look quite fun!

I was given the moniker vehiclebro (additionally vehiclefag) a few threads ago, I was doing this wholly anonymously until the Star Wars Rebels dump, and I intend to remain anonymous after I finish return to complete anonymity after I finish my chronicle.

hot damn, sauce me on that pic my good sandperson

evolluisionist.deviantart

Can't remember title of this fine work.
But it's his anyhow.

Yeah, HO. Entering from lower right in the matte painting and then exiting right when we follow Han and Lando.

The TIE shuttle is easily mistaken for a TIE bomber at first glance, but if you look closely you can see the wings bend outwards when Captain Needa reports to Vader to apologize for his failure. You can confirm this via the Joe Johnston storyboards. This picture is a higher definition fan-made replica of the blink-and-you-miss it minuscule composite.

whoops I fucked up formatting
>and I intend to return to complete anonymity after I finish my chronicle.

much obliged tuska

man I remember like ten years ago I used to fap to some dude's naked 3D models of the KOTOR girls, even Mission (he claimed they were just for rendering purposes)

I went to fap one day and he had wiped every single one of them

I was so crushed

So we're left with the FO making an attack on the New Republic and there isn't a good time to talk about that Republic.
The attack must happen, but it'd be hollow if we didn't see actual people dying.
I guess we should show some people on the planet's surface.

And that's what happened.
The structure didn't allow for fleshing out, but to have just a planet go boom wouldn't evoke much emotions.

Ok, let's move on fellas.
Without knowing what Hosnian Prime was and its importance, the destruction of it didn't mean much, but showing faces of the people dying moved it from meaning nothing to meaning a little bit.

Done and one. Next pointless fucking argument please.

Although I already discussed the AT-ST in the Rogue One survey, I want to provide an example of how the model changed between its ESB incarnation and later update in ROTJ which has been the version used for most content.

First: ESB

It really was

I'd be more angry with the laziness of the shuttle if it weren't such a brief moment

I didn't even know a TIE shuttle existed until someone pointed it out in an earlier /swco/

ROTJ. Actually it's Battlefront 2015, but they photonometried (what's the word again?) the ROTJ model.

Yes there's a tiny shot and a brief storyboard of it, I hope someone else posts it, I can't find it in my folder.

I've always liked this one over the ROTJ one. The proportions just feel better.

I mean, it kinda got reworked into the AT-DP so everybody wins

What is even wrong with you?

Show not tell in this case refers to SHOW US WHY WE CARE. We don't need to know the characters' backstories, but we DO need to know how they connect to the main characters of our film. That's the difference between "oh, that's sort of unpleasant" and "those dastardly fiends!"

Let's back up for a minute. Remember the start of TFA? The attack on Jakku? That was actually kind of cool, because we've met Poe and Lor San Tekka at this point. We don't know much about them, but we've gotten first impressions of them and BB-8, and we know they're the good guys, so we're scared for them. But then when that one trooper dies and Finn has his big moment, it's actually significant, and why? Because Poe, the character we've already met and been given a reason to care about, witnesses it from a distance and has a visible reaction, and it marks our next major character, Finn. The significance of that trooper's death only grows from there because of Finn's reaction and how it influences his character for the rest of the scene and the rest of the movie. Even in the moment, the audience has been given a real reason to give a shit about that dead trooper, because it's happening in a conflict we already have reasons to care about and involves characters we already have reasons to care about.

The Hosnian system's destruction has none of that. Its destruction is its first appearance in the movie and only narrowly escapes being its first MENTION. Hell we don't even know the name of the system until Poe mentions it in a later scene.

A few minutes of Leia's representative on the planet talking to the Chancellor just to establish that they are Leia's representative and the Chancellor respectively would have gone an incredibly long way. That's all it really takes.

Hux owns this figure.

The Joe Johnston sketch became the AT-DP, it's not that similar.

Thanks for posting, user.

I like the AT-ST version we got rather than the "DP" version that Johnston drew.
The AT-ST is obviously WW1 inspired, which a lot of other Star Wars things were as well

Looks very similar to me

If the cockpits are the same size, then the ESB original should be several meters taller than the ROTJ, at least. Also, the skull helmet marking shows up on an Imperial helmet in Rebels.

Once Rey, Finn, and Han enter hyperspace, one of them could mention the Resistance. Then we cut to the Resistance and Leia for a brief scene, leading to Leia sending a holographic transmission to her Republic representative, allowing us to seamlessly transition to a brief Republic scene. Then we return to the Falcon crew, now arriving at Takodana.

It's not hard.

The Bespin Cloud Car was one of my favorite designs as a tot; the garish orange coloring must have appealed to my childish fancy, as I had probably a dozen different versions of it, including 4 or 5 micro machines and the Galoob action fleet version.

Yes you're quite right about that, it, along with the other Imperial designs (particularly the deep flared 1915 Turkish theater pattern stahlhelms) and uniforms to give the impression of WWI-WWII German industry.

Introducing Leia as lazily as that would be a greater flaw.
As it stand now, she's the cavalry who saved them.

POE is the cavalry who saves them. Leia doesn't show up until the battle is already over.

The original built model is similar to this sketch, I know they made other sketches for ESB which looked similar to the built model, but this one also had an influence with the curving top, the gun sticking out further and the leg joint being longer.

I only had one (or was it two) Star Wars novels as a kid. It was one of the Young Jedi series. With Lowbacca (only remember that name for some reason)
Anyways, one of them was with the kids on Bespin and the cover had those Cloud Cars on it.
Because of that, the Cloud Car design feels so damned appropriate to Cloud City.

Exactly

It also gives Leia something to do, as opposed to the current version of the movie, where Leia just does nothing. In TFA Leia's basically just Rieekan or Madine outside her brief talk with Han.

The commander of the battle arrives after it's done. Yes.
It wasn't Poe's decision to go. It was quite clearly Leia's, who was clearly watching the battle after having ordered it

As I won't have many vehicles to cover, most of them already having appeared previously, I'm going to repost the AT-AT in both versions for comparison. First, the Rebels version - note the similarity to various design features of the concept artwork of both Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston.

This doesn't convey Terence Stamp's likeness to me as much as it should.

Why are you posting poop?

And ESB/ROTJ. They appear quite frequently in comics and videogames but I was somewhat disappointed they didn't appear in Rogue One to be scaled against the larger AT-ACTs.

They could have taken maybe 30 seconds near the start of the battle as Black Squadron is coming in to have Poe radio Leia, briefly cut to Leia responding and issuing an order from her ship in like orbit or something, and then proceed with the battle as it is, and it would have sold the "Leia is the cavalry" idea 50 times better.

As it stands, our cavalry is Poe. JJ's whole "surprise, the lander opens and it's Leia!" bit is just there to get the audience to go "OOH I KNOW THAT CHARACTER", without any effort to give her a real narrative function. As it stands, Leia never gets to do anything in TFA but stand around and be old.

The CGI on that exploding wall is a fucking joke.

Seeing this just makes me realize how much fucking better Rogue One's action scenes were.

I actually feel embarrassed for lapping up TFA's shite like a dog.

The sad part is that's the best scene in the film

I'm just about out of designs from ESB that did not appear in previous material. But I have one last set of pictures to comment on.

At the end of ESB, the Rebel Fleet consists of a vast assortment of various kitbashed props, most of which are unclear and unnamed. Even though it's my favorite, I implore you to ignore the Nebulon B that takes center stage.

Yeah, can't really disagree with any of that
They could have preserved the surprise of Leia still
Having her be "This is General Organa, commence attack run" would be totally fine

I CLAPPED! I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW LEIA!

Nobody in my theater clapped, it was pretty awkward actually. Completely fell flat.

I've always dug the little feet at the back

Of particular note is a tanker rocketship (not as visible in this promotional composite) that appears in right behind and below the Nebulon from 3/4 angle, and right in front of it from profile. Stay with me, I've another image to post in just a moment that will be of interest.

And in the episode Secret Cargo from Star Wars Rebels, the Ghost is carrying fuel canisters in similar style. Was this intentional? A deliberate homage, an outright declaration, or merely a sublime coincidence?

>troopers all stare toward different directions
>troopers keep aiming towards resistance fighters then stop aiming then aim again constantly even though the fighters are miles away
Why does it look like the people who are dressed up as troopers not know what they're doing?

This is the nerdiest thing I have ever read

Oh I forgot to mention at the upper rear right side of this image there's a ship that looks an awful lot like a sideways space Winnebago, which is odd because Spaceballs wouldn't be made for another 60 years.

I'm thinking some bit of babble that sounds like an actual tactical command, like recommending a vector and rattling off some coordinates, or something like "no torpedoes, we've got friendlies down there" or some other bit like that. Just rubber-stamping the attack run is fine, but she comes off as a better general if she sounds like she has a plan.

I noticed that. Shame they didn't mention it in the bts gallery. I hope we get an actual 3D cg model for a tanker in the future.

Btw, I did a comparison of the AT-STs based on the size of the cockpit from floor to ceiling, based on the cross-section image. The ESB is massive compared to the now-default version from ROTJ.

If you think that's nerdy, don't ever go to Stardestroyer.net, Spacebattles.com or similar sci-fi ship discussion sites, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Hmmm... I could believe it if someone with authority said it was an homage, but I could also believe it if someone said it was just a coincidence.
They look like fuel tank boosters. Which makes it more likely to be a real world inspiration rather than a kitbash from ROTJ

Shiplets, when will they EVER learn?

Yeah
The Star Trek fanbase is far more technical than the Star Wars one.
They're absolutely nutty abut minor background shots. They all have class names and shit

Now post the shot from RotJ where a Nebulon is shooting up the Executor and looking comparable

I remember Pablo saying these were just painted on glass

Is that the Pillar of Autumn there?

I had forgotten about their huge difference in size.

SD's look great anytime. Is it because they're giant killer space triangles?

Pretty much, yeah

giant killer space triangles just look good

ESB, and the fuel tanks are being used to refuel Mon Mothma's ship right there (though it's a waste because it gets destroyed).

Or were you referring to the kitbash itself? I've only heard it referred to as a tanker, but that's by fans you may well be right.

They're photographs taken of the models, then printed on glass.

Here you go. The Nebulon is about as tall as the entire outer edge of the Executor's waist, perhaps about 100 meters, compared to the approximate 30-50 meters of the ISD.

The main issue for me is that the Hosnian Prime section ia clearly meant the scene in ANH (surprise, surprise) where Alderaan gets blown up. But Alderaan is directly ties to Leia so the audience actually gives a shit. Hosnian Prime is just a bunch of planets we've never seen before. If they would have blown up Coruscant, it would have been impactful, but because it was a bunch of nobodies on a planet that no one has heard of, no one cares. Yeah, it gets the point across that the FO is evil, but if you didn't realize they were the bad guys by that point in the film you might actually be an idiot.

Nebulon is a big bitch
Or not?

Ayy, it's Star Wars.
Fuck numbers

In my opinion they look good even when they're not very killer. There's not very many that I find impossible to like, and of those, they tend to be the worst of the worst EU fanon designs.

I love Ex Astris Scientia and their articles on the numerous redressed models.

Me too, mate. Me too.
Akira class Master Race, amiright?

The Nebulon is about 300 meters long. You'll notice a compositing flub in that image where the CR90 was photographed in reverse, causing it to shrink while the rest of the shot remains in scale.

Whenever people don't understand simple emotional triggers like you just mentioned, it makes me wonder if they do actually have some type of autism.

I don't understand how the scar extends through his neck.

Maybe his lower jaw was really fucked up but bacta reduced it to just a scar?

Because Rey hits like a girl.

On top of that, Alderaan is a significant part of the plot. It's where our heroes are supposed to go. It's like the Emerald City getting blown up- it throws a huge wrench into our heroes' goal.

By contrast, Hosnian Prime has almost no significant role in the story. Its destruction will play a role in the sequel by showing the New Republic is in bad shape over it, but its relevance to TFA itself is completely minimal. Destroying it doesn't affect anything within the movie beyond being a giant display of force. Starkiller Base could've destroyed a less significant planet and it wouldn't have changed anything.